The Education Forum

Managing the Education Forum

The conflict at the Deep Politics Forum illustrates the difficulty of maintaining free-speech when discussing controversial issues. When people normally talk about their desire for “free-speech” they usually only mean free-speech for those people who they agree with. The really difficult task is to allow free-speech to those on subjects where you strongly disagree with. That seems to have been the problem with the Deep Politics Forum.

At the Education Forum we try to deal with this problem by having a committee of administrators and moderators to make all important decisions by majority vote. Moderators are also decided by majority vote. All moderators are free to suggest the names of members who should be considered as moderators. Currently, the following members are moderators.

Evan Burton, Kathy Beckett, Gary Loughton, Antii Hynonen, Stephen Turner, Don Jeffries, John Geraghty, Tom Scully, David Butler and Pat Speer.

If members have any ideas on how the system can be improved, please post them on this thread.

How about considering some kind of condensed version of the UN bill of rights as a mission statement? Generally I'm entirely happy with the moderation. Is it correct that all moderators are privileged to monitor all emailing and PM's sent through the Forum? Is one always alerted to personal posting privilege restrictions? Obviously, as I've stated before, I think there should be a period of affirmative action with regards to such things as gender balance. A number of moderators are seemingly totally inactive on the forum and have been for a long time. They can make room for a balance. imo.

How about considering some kind of condensed version of the UN bill of rights as a mission statement? Generally I'm entirely happy with the moderation. Is it correct that all moderators are privileged to monitor all emailing and PM's sent through the Forum?

I was unaware you could do this. I know I have not read other people's emails or PMs.

Obviously, as I've stated before, I think there should be a period of affirmative action with regards to such things as gender balance. A number of moderators are seemingly totally inactive on the forum and have been for a long time. They can make room for a balance. imo.

I agree we should have more women moderators. Any suggestions?

Stephen Turner is the only inactive moderator. For some reason he no longer visits the forum or answer his emails.

How about considering some kind of condensed version of the UN bill of rights as a mission statement? Generally I'm entirely happy with the moderation. Is it correct that all moderators are privileged to monitor all emailing and PM's sent through the Forum?

I was unaware you could do this. I know I have not read other people's emails or PMs.

I'm also unaware whether this is possible. That's why I asked. Ditto the other question.

Obviously, as I've stated before, I think there should be a period of affirmative action with regards to such things as gender balance. A number of moderators are seemingly totally inactive on the forum and have been for a long time. They can make room for a balance. imo.

Stephen Turner is the only inactive moderator. For some reason he no longer visits the forum or answer his emails.

I'm sure there are a number to choose from.

As I understand it IPB (this forum software) does not allow anyone else to read PM's at all. The exception to that is if someone "reports" a PM they have received as abusive/spam (for example) then that message becomes visible to Administrators to check out the report.

As always some bright spark has written a "mod" for IPB that would allow the reading of members PM's but it would need to be deliberately downloaded and installed for that to happen....

All forum software I have ever used does not allow the reading of PM's as standard configuration.

I think that the general expectations of members would include the reasonable assumption that personal or PRIVATE MESSAGING would, in fact, be PRIVATE. The same with email. If that is NOT the case, I would appreciate being told immediately. Thanks.

I'm also unaware whether this is possible. That's why I asked. Ditto the other question.(s)

I'm sure there are a number to choose from.

Greg : ''I think that the general expectations of members would include the reasonable assumption that personal or PRIVATE MESSAGING would, in fact, be PRIVATE. The same with email. If that is NOT the case, I would appreciate being told immediately. Thanks.''

John : '' I was unaware you could do this.''

David : ''As I understand it...''

Me: Is that the official answer to that question???

John : '' I agree we should have more women moderators. Any suggestions? ''

Me : I wasn't asked about the other appointments so why ask now? Why should women come under some extra scrutiny?

Anyway, I was hoping for a proactive stance. The question has been asked (as well as other ignored ones) so: IMO there are a nunber that I could suggest, inevitably leaving people unfairly out.

Firstly I don't care whether the person(s) have divergent viewpoints to mine. No interest in stacking the deck.

However: to keep the issue alive : I'm impressed by Bernices moderating evenhanded influence and regular precense, I've always found Sherry likewise with that special wisdom regarding dealing with conflict inspiring, ditto Barb, and that's just a minority of women who participate, so there are plenty to choose from (by the management) and I think as a balance is over time worked towards more will feel like being involved and the forum itself will gain a status, in a patriarcial world, as a positive influence.

edit typo

Edited by John Dolva

However: to keep the issue alive : I'm impressed by Bernices moderating evenhanded influence and regular precense, I've always found Sherry likewise with that special wisdom regarding dealing with conflict inspiring, ditto Barb, and that's just a minority of women who participate, so there are plenty to choose from (by the management) and I think as a balance is over time worked towards more will feel like being involved and the forum itself will gain a status, in a patriarcial world, as a positive influence.

The moderators are currently voting on your suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...
sleep1.gif

I just wish to express a thanks and repect to all.

I have invited Barb Junkkarinen, Bernice Moore and Bill Kelly to become moderators.

Barb Junkkarinen has said yes but Bernice Moore and Bill Kelly have said no.

I was wondering how long it was going to take John McAdams to get here..... ROTFLMFAO! ! ! ! :ice