The Education Forum

Moon Walk Hoax

I couldn't find a moon walk thread here because it was everybody fighting. But I have questions. Maybe Jack White could answer.

First Moon Walk

How did we get through the Van Allen Radiation Belts?

Why is it that when the astronauts were on the moon there was gravity. On youtube.com you can see them jumping, not "flying." Often we were shown how lack of gravity made the astronauts in their capsule float freely in the air. Why didn't we see this on the first moon walk?

Also, if there's no gravity, how could they stay on the moon? Wouldn't they fly off into space? And the rocket too?

Thank You,

Kathy C

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't find a moon walk thread here because it was everybody fighting. But I have questions. Maybe Jack White could answer.

First Moon Walk

Why is it that when the astronauts were on the moon there was gravity. On youtube.com you can see them jumping, not "flying." Often we were shown how lack of gravity made the astronauts in their capsule float freely in the air. Why didn't we see this on the first moon walk?

Also, if there's no gravity, how could they stay on the moon? Wouldn't they fly off into space? And the rocket too?

Thank You,

Kathy C

There is gravity on the moon, about one-sixth that of earth. The astronots are seen jumping because they were suspended by wires and filmed in slo-mo

in a studio on earth. No Apollo missions are likely to have reached the moon. No astronots were exposed to VanAllen radiation because they never left

low earth orbit.

Jack

Also, if there's no gravity, how could they stay on the moon?

In order to keep the astronauts on the surface of the moon, their backpacks were each filled with some of Earth's gravity before leaving. Because this gravity wasn't returned, people on Earth became lighter as a result of the Apollo missons, though only by several billionths of a gram each.

First Moon Walk

Thank You,

Kathy C

There is gravity on the moon, about one-sixth that of earth. The astronots are seen jumping because they were suspended by wires and filmed in slo-mo

in a studio on earth. No Apollo missions are likely to have reached the moon. No astronots were exposed to VanAllen radiation because they never left

low earth orbit.

Jack

This, from the guy who once asked how the "astronots" could have carried the Lunar Rover down the steps of the LEM. Too funny.

Edited by Todd W. Vaughan

First Moon Walk

Thank You,

Kathy C

Hi Kathy...

Not sure why some have to be so hostile... there are other forums for sure yet with Jack here, usually, this is where it would get the most notice and response...

http://www.crystalinks.com/vanallenbelt.html

The Van Allen Belt's Impact on Space Travel

Solar cells, integrated circuits, and sensors can be damaged by radiation. In 1962, the Van Allen belts were temporarily amplified by a high-altitude nuclear explosion (the Starfish Prime test) and several satellites ceased operation.

Magnetic storms occasionally damage electronic components on spacecraft. Miniaturization and digitization of electronics and logic circuits have made satellites more vulnerable to radiation, as incoming ions may be as large as the circuit's charge. Electronics on satellites must be hardened against radiation to operate reliably.

The Hubble Space Telescope, among other satellites, often has its sensors turned off when passing through regions of intense radiation. An object satellite shielded by 3 mm of aluminum will receive about 2500 rem (25 Sv) per year.

Proponents of the Apollo Moon Landing Hoax have argued that space travel to the moon is impossible because the Van Allen radiation would kill or incapacitate an astronaut who made the trip. Van Allen himself, still alive and living in Iowa City, has dismissed these ideas.

In practice, Apollo astronauts who travelled to the moon spent very little time in the belts and received a harmless dose. Nevertheless NASA deliberately timed Apollo launches, and used lunar transfer orbits that only skirted the edge of the belt over the equator to minimise the radiation. Astronauts who visited the moon probably have a slightly higher risk of cancer during their lifetimes, but still remain unlikely to become ill because of it.

"Gravity is the force that causes two particles to pull towards each other"

As long as there is mass, there is gravity... the moon being smaller has less gravity as mass has a direct relationship to gravitational pull.

http://www.squidoo.com/apollo-moon-landing-photos-from-space

Now some may say these too are faked.... Leaving garbage around the universe is completely American :P ... n

o surprise we left ours on the moon as well.

thanks david for showing the posters other than Jack, how rude and ignorant they really are, that leaves all with never a good impression of them....good lord has it gotten to the point here, where a question cannot be asked, without being rudely bombarded by some trying to pretend they are supposed know it alls.gentlemen...ha, you are crap...:ph34r: b

thanks david for showing the posters other than Jack, how rude and ignorant they really are, that leaves all with never a good impression of them....good lord has it gotten to the point here, where a question cannot be asked, without being rudely bombarded by some trying to pretend they are supposed know it alls.gentlemen...ha, you are crap...:ph34r: b

My pleasure Bernice....

Sure does seem that anger over god-knows-what interferes with each and every thread...

What I am seeing is that ignoring those who cannot post without insults, accusations or personal attacks - works.

If someone cannot post a reply using whatever logic they feel appropriate, without the insults, then why should they be acknowledged?

Attempting to correct or enlighten someone needn't be adversarial,

and it's really quite sad as some of the most knowledgeable posters wrap their information in such BS as to render it useless

DJ

My pleasure Bernice....

Sure does seem that anger over god-knows-what interferes with each and every thread...

What I am seeing is that ignoring those who cannot post without insults, accusations or personal attacks - works.

If someone cannot post a reply using whatever logic they feel appropriate, without the insults, then why should they be acknowledged?

Attempting to correct or enlighten someone needn't be adversarial,

and it's really quite sad as some of the most knowledgeable posters wrap their information in such BS as to render it useless

DJ

Sadly you have it wrong. CORRECT information is just that...CORRECT, regardless of the delivery. People ignore CORRECT information at their own peril.

Years ago Jack himself started a thread based on the proposition that calling someone ignorant “is not an insult, but a description” because all it means is that a person is “Lacking education or knowledge…Unaware or uninformed”. Bernice posted on the thread but did not object to his reasoning*. I have repeatedly been excoriated by Jim D for posting before having read certain books he deemed essential. Kathy could have answered her own questions if she had performed a quick Google search or glanced at Wikipedia. Now imagine the reception a LNT would get here if he posted something like the following “Since Oswald was a trained sniper why does anyone doubt he could have killed JFK?” wouldn’t they be justly ridiculed for their lack of knowledge and failure to do basic research before starting a new thread?

* http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=9275

Edited by Len Colby

Perhaps that's because this is the JFK forum there are numerous Apollo threads in the CT forum. You post demonstrates an ignorance of basic science. The Moon has low not no gravity.

My area of expertise is having been well read. Do you know the poets? Do you know the novelists, the playwrights? Can you write a novel, as I can? Can you write poetry of this time like I can?

Did you come out in the top 1% of the nation as a Freshman in high school, according to the National Educational Development Test? High schoolers took the same test all across the nation.

Were you ever called brilliant by one of your teachers? I memorized the Gettysburg Address in one hour. Did you? I taught myself algebra in 3 hours after not looking at the book or turning in homework for a whole year.

Did you ever win spelling bees? Did you graduate with honors with a degree in English Literature like I did? Were you ever on the Dean's List? Were you a well-respected writer as I was in my college years? Did you have professors telling you they were jealous of you because of your writing or that you should be teaching a class on writing instead of taking one?

Do you know the history of film like I do?

Did you ever have someone of the caliber of Rich DellaRosa take you under his wing for how ever long?

I'm not a great science buff, but I am intrigued with the Universe, even with anomalies like yourself, Colby.

John Simkin told me that I can ask questions on this forum.

I want to thank you all for your knowledge and opinions, (especially yours, Bernice.)

I'm also going to plug my websites and I don't care what you think of them.

http://witness-2.blogspot.com This website is down at the moment. Blogger is trying to fix it.

The other one is http://whatpricefame.blogspot.com

Kathy C

One would also imagine, that even in 1969, other nations had the ability to see into the night sky and know whether the US was blowing smoke up the world's collective a$$ or not.

Unless, of course, in exchange for not tattling on the "them" for JFK, "they" wouldn't let on about the moon...

for the next number of YEARS, until "they" could fake it too....

:blink:

problem is... because of forums such as this... one still has to leave room for just about anything under the sun with regards to the exploits of MAN.

Cheers and Peace to you all - the passionate belief in the unbelieveable here is very cool B)

DJ

First Moon Walk

Thank You,

Kathy C

Hi Kathleen!

1. The Van Allen belts. These were traversed by the spacecraft having a sufficient layer of shielding, by travelling through the areas of least radiation density, and by getting through the belts as quickly as possible. Some details can be seen in the Apollo radiation plan and the biomedical results from Apollo. Some good summaries are also available here and here, where you can calculate yourself the anticipated dosage based on the flight plans. These diagrammes might help you understand how they skirted the VAB:

2z6f889.jpg

doserate1.gif

2. Gravity. The Moon, being quite a small solar body, has quite low gravity (approximately 1/6th that of the Earth). If you want to work it out for yourself, use the formula:

g = -GM/(r*r)

where :

g is the acceleration of gravity at a particular point. On the surface of the Earth, g is approximately 9.81 m/s2

G is the universal gravitational constant = 6.67x10-11 Nm2/kg2

M is the mass of the object. Look up the mass of the Moon yourself. Make sure the mass is expressed in Kg.

r is the distance from the centre of the body, in metres. In other words, the radius of the body. Again, look that up yourself.

The negative sign is used to reflect the fact that the pull of gravity is toward the centre. To compare it to the acceleration due to gravity on Earth, compare to 9.81

Anyway, low gravity does not mean NO gravity. When you see footage of the Apollo astronauts floating around the spacecraft, that is in space (technically called microgravity). On the Moon, you could see the effects of the low gravity:

- Dust and dirt arcing, following a ballistic trajectory but showing no signs of billowing (which would happen in an atmosphere)

- Astronauts able to leap around, jumping quite high despite having significant mass on them from their suits and life support system - the PLSS (they didn't jump as high as they might have been able to for two reasons: firstly, the suit restricted their movements; secondly, they were worried about losing their balance and damaging the PLSS or helmet).

- Difficulty in drilling for core samples in the lunar crust; they couldn't rely on weight to keep them down. Leaning on the drills only had minimal effect because they weighed so much less.

Happy to answer further questions, or expand on any of the answers if you like.

Kathleen,

You might not be aware that spacecraft in Earth orbit sometimes pass through the Van Allen belts (a portion known as the South Atlantic Anomaly).

This means that astronauts aboard Skylab, the Shuttle, and the ISS can actually get higher doses than that of the Apollo astronauts because they are continually being exposed to it. Have a look at this chart:

raddata.jpg

Perhaps that's because this is the JFK forum there are numerous Apollo threads in the CT forum. You post demonstrates an ignorance of basic science. The Moon has low not no gravity.

My area of expertise is having been well read. Do you know the poets? Do you know the novelists, the playwrights? Can you write a novel, as I can? Can you write poetry of this time like I can?

Did you come out in the top 1% of the nation as a Freshman in high school, according to the National Educational Development Test? High schoolers took the same test all across the nation.

Were you ever called brilliant by one of your teachers? I memorized the Gettysburg Address in one hour. Did you? I taught myself algebra in 3 hours after not looking at the book or turning in homework for a whole year.

Did you ever win spelling bees? Did you graduate with honors with a degree in English Literature like I did? Were you ever on the Dean's List? Were you a well-respected writer as I was in my college years? Did you have professors telling you they were jealous of you because of your writing or that you should be teaching a class on writing instead of taking one?

Do you know the history of film like I do?

Did you ever have someone of the caliber of Rich DellaRosa take you under his wing for how ever long?

I'm not a great science buff, but I am intrigued with the Universe, even with anomalies like yourself, Colby.

John Simkin told me that I can ask questions on this forum.

I want to thank you all for your knowledge and opinions, (especially yours, Bernice.)

I'm also going to plug my websites and I don't care what you think of them.

http://witness-2.blogspot.com This website is down at the moment. Blogger is trying to fix it.

The other one is http://whatpricefame.blogspot.com

Kathy C

I didn’t know you were “in the top 1% of the nation as a Freshman in high school” or won a spelling bee that changes everything.

I looked at your blog I agree with you about one thing William Rodriguez is a fraud.