The Education Forum

Good Old Boys

Guest Gary Loughran

Guest Gary Loughran

Congratulations to Grant McCann and Leon Britton, a couple of ex-hammers who have achieved promotions with Peterborough and Swansea respectively.

We have tended, in my opinion, to dispose of youth too soon at West Ham. I know John has pointed this out before. It would be a shame if we lost Spence, Tomkins, Hines and Stanislas - Sears and Noble can go.

Admittedly I follow the youth team less than I once did - but I still recall some of the players still doing well. Some less so, I was convinced Iriekpen would be a star!

I think the Hammers will be back up next year...They have too much backing to not be able to support Big Sam and get back up straight away....

I'm happy we survived on the last day but next season will be a struggle down at the bottom again I fear !

McCann benefited more from the re-appointment of Ferguson Jnr than any other player at Posh.

Ferguson switched him to playing in front of the back 4 where he quickly excelled.

He also contributed some vital goals, scoring in each of the 3 play off games.

Moving on, I think Sears showed enough out on the right wing (and scoring a couple of goals) after returning from his loan spells to warrant a run in the side next season. I'm mystified as to why Avram Grant put Hines out there instead of him on several occasions during the run in. But then I'm mystified by a bunch of things...

MH

Congratulations to Grant McCann and Leon Britton, a couple of ex-hammers who have achieved promotions with Peterborough and Swansea respectively.

We have tended, in my opinion, to dispose of youth too soon at West Ham. I know John has pointed this out before. It would be a shame if we lost Spence, Tomkins, Hines and Stanislas - Sears and Noble can go.

Admittedly I follow the youth team less than I once did - but I still recall some of the players still doing well. Some less so, I was convinced Iriekpen would be a star!

McCann benefited more from the re-appointment of Ferguson Jnr than any other player at Posh.

Ferguson switched him to playing in front of the back 4 where he quickly excelled.

He also contributed some vital goals, scoring in each of the 3 play off games.

Moving on, I think Sears showed enough out on the right wing (and scoring a couple of goals) after returning from his loan spells to warrant a run in the side next season. I'm mystified as to why Avram Grant put Hines out there instead of him on several occasions during the run in. But then I'm mystified by a bunch of things...

I also thought Sears did very well in his new role as a wide player who did good work in defence. I could not see the point of playing Hines. I had high hopes of him before his serious knee injury but his form this season was just not good enough.