The Education Forum

Sad news, R.I.P. Doug Weldon

Heartbreaking news this morning. Doug Weldon passed away overnight.Doug has been entrenched in a nightmare health battle since early September 2010. It all started with a sore on a toe after a long bike ride. Doug was diabetic. From there it progressed to amputations, infections, and multiple incidences of pneumonia ... one thing after another putting him back in intensive care, or at least back into the hospital, every time it would seem like he was making some progress. I can only recall about 3 very short spans of time (days) over the last 15 months that Doug was not in a hospital or a rehab/nursing facility.

Doctors have been amazed at how strong and determined Doug was able to stay. I was amazed for the physical doggedness, but not the mental. He was so mentally strong and determined. Please keep his family in your thoughts and in any prayers you may be able to offer.

As details become available, including which address to use for cards, flowers, etc, I will post that information.

Miss talking to you already, Doug!

Barb

Heartbreaking news this morning. Doug Weldon passed away overnight.Doug has been entrenched in a nightmare health battle since early September 2010. It all started with a sore on a toe after a long bike ride. Doug was diabetic. From there it progressed to amputations, infections, and multiple incidences of pneumonia ... one thing after another putting him back in intensive care, or at least back into the hospital, every time it would seem like he was making some progress. I can only recall about 3 very short spans of time (days) over the last 15 months that Doug was not in a hospital or a rehab/nursing facility.

Doctors have been amazed at how strong and determined Doug was able to stay. I was amazed for the physical doggedness, but not the mental. He was so mentally strong and determined. Please keep his family in your thoughts and in any prayers you may be able to offer.

As details become available, including which address to use for cards, flowers, etc, I will post that information.

Barb

Barb, I remember Doug Weldon as a kind man who was very determined to pierce the mystery of the Kennedy Assassination. He was fair and methodical. I hadn't seen his name for a long time. I didn't know he had the health issues you relate. It's sad that the "Kennedy community" will never see his like again. May he rest in peace.

Kathy C

This is indeed quite shocking and sad. While I didn't know Doug personally, he gave all appearances of being one of the nicest members of the forum. I'd noticed that he hadn't been around much lately but assumed he'd had better things to do. His passing, along with Roger Feinman's, resurrects a troubling issue. While many of our older researchers, e.g. Jack White, have had the foresight to place their JFK-related materials with public institutions, many of our younger researchers have not.

We need to develop a game-plan, IMO, so that our original and irreplaceable research, e.g. notes on interviews with witnesses, rare documents not readily available, are made available to our fellow researchers after our passing, and aren't lost forever.

Edited by Pat Speer

I'm really sorry to hear this. Although we were on opposite sides of many issues, Doug could always be counted on to play fair. This is really too bad.

JT

Barb

Barb

Shocking indeed. A very dedicated and tenacious researcher, one of the very best. My condolences to his family and and to all who were close to him.

Phil Nelson

Very sad news. I'd heard that Doug wanted to get a book published, and I'd assumed we hadn't heard much from him recently because he was engrossed in those efforts. I didn't have the pleasure of knowing Doug personally, but, on this forum, I had long admired his ability to remain polite and even tempered while discussing differences of opinion. He was a great voice of reason, and he shall surely be missed.

Pat:

In Roger's case, Jerry Policoff knew his brother and they are going through his files and computer.

But I don't know anyone who was friends with Doug or would have access to his files.

I wonder how far he got with his book?

Jim, Pat, all...

Doug and I had talked about this .... his book, his papers, interviews, etc. Once his family has had some time to deal with the immediate needs of the present, I will be talking to the daughter he put me in touch with a few months ago. Doug and I were in close contact over the last year and a half; and I have been in close contact with one daughter over the last couple of weeks. It really wasn't appropriate during this time to talk to her about disposition of her dad's papers, manuscript, etc ... they were hopeful, expecting even, that he would make it through this most recent crisis. But, it will happen soon.

Bests,

Barb

Oh man! That is just horrible!

Doug was a great researcher!

And I will also never forget how he stuck up for me over and over again in the Judyth Baker thread after I was attacked for telling a story about how a bum threatened my wife and I stuck up for her

I thanked Doug over email and we talked back and forth a couple times

Im glad I got to know him a little, I wish I could have known him personaly

RIP Doug

Oh man! That is just horrible!

Doug was a great researcher!

And I will also never forget how he stuck up for me over and over again in the Judyth Baker thread after I was attacked for telling a story about how a bum threatened my wife and I stuck up for her

I thanked Doug over email and we talked back and forth a couple times

Im glad I got to know him a little, I wish I could have known him personaly

RIP Doug

So sad, I will miss his posts. Barb please give our thoughts and prayers to his family.

He was a great gentleman, and a valued and trusted researcher, rest in peace my friend...b

Here are a couple of links to some of his work, presented on this forum...

http://educationforu...opic=15484&st=0

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=14532

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related his tmwkk presentation... The Men Who Killed Kennedy "The Smoking Guns" Complete Episode 7 Doug Weldon..

a photo below taken early last fall, with his fiance, and his favourite car...i believe it was two days later he was back in hospital..

b

Edited by Bernice Moore

What sad news. I echo the sentiments of others expressed here. Doug was astute and civil, and the work he left behind will benefit future generations to come.

He was way too young and will be sorely missed by everyone in the research community.

He was a great gentleman, and a valued and trusted researcher, rest in peace my friend...b ....

a photo below taken early last fall, with his fiance, and his favourite car...i believe it was two days later he was back in hospital..

b

Yes, two days later, after feeling the best he had felt for a very long time, he developed cellulitis and ended up back in the hospital, and also developed what I recall as the first blood clot in his left arm. The photo was taken in late July 2011, he spent all of August in the hospital. The day he sent me the photo, August 26th, had been a particularly tough and disturbing one for him as one of the physicians from the palliative care section had come to his room and told him he would qualify for hospice if he wanted to consider that. He wanted me to call him, and I did. He was stunned by what the doctor had said and told me he hoped to prove them wrong. He sure tried, God bless him. If I am recalling correctly, he was never able to go home again. It was mid-September before he was moved to a nursing home, then was shortly back in the hospital, and so it went, back and forth. That photo, taken so recently, gave him hope and made him smile! And he did have some encouraging days and laughter too.It's a great photo for all to see and remember him by!

His daughter expects to have the link to the online guest book/obituary sometime this weekend. I will post it as soon as I get it.

Bests,

Barb :-)

He was a great gentleman, and a valued and trusted researcher, rest in peace my friend...b

Here are a couple of links to some of his work, presented on this forum...

http://educationforu...opic=15484&st=0

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=14532

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related his tmwkk presentation... The Men Who Killed Kennedy "The Smoking Guns" Complete Episode 7 Doug Weldon..

b

I am stunned and saddened by the loss of Doug Weldon. My condolences to his family and thse who were closest to him. He was always willing to help those of us who needed it. I am particularly indebted to him for his research on the limo windshield, shared with me through e-mails.

RIP Doug.