The Education Forum

Political Jokes: George Bush and the Queen

John Simkin

Al Gore was in London and met the Queen. Gore asked the Queen about her leadership philosophy. The Queen said she found that the best way to govern was to surround herself with intelligent people. “But how do you know they are intelligent? Gore asked. “I ask them testing questions. For example, when Tony Blair became leader of the Labour Party, I telephoned him and asked the following question: “Your mother has a child, your father has a child and this child is not your brother or your sister. Who is it?”

“Why it is me,” said Tony Blair, without a pause. “Correct!” said the Queen.

Gore returned to America and called George W. Bush: “Mr President, may I ask you a question?” he said. “By all means”, said the President.

“Your mother has a child, your father has a child and this child is not your brother or your sister. Who is it?”

George Bush was stumped and remained silent for a while before saying, “May I get back to you on that, Al?” He asked all his closest aides before finally ringing Colin Powell, to whom he posed the telling question. Powell, like Blair, replied, without pause: “It’s me.”

George Bush rang Gore and said: “I know the answer to your question. It’s Colin Powell.”

“Wrong,” said Gore. “It’s Tony Blair.”

• 4 weeks later...