The Education Forum

Rock stars at their peak and many years later

Len Colby

I own them all , Len - and they are great. Darling Pretty, What it is, to name a few off the top of my head. There are two or three good songs from each of his solo albums since he disbanded Dire Straits once and for all in 1995.

My question is; why would they not measure up? It is still Mark Knopfler. Dire Straits was Mark Knopfler so what is the difference that he is now " solo?"

Edited by Peter McGuire

I own them all , Len - and they are great. Darling Pretty, What it is, to name a few off the top of my head. There are two or three good songs from each of his solo albums since he disbanded Dire Straits once and for all in 1995.

My question is; why would they not measure up? It is still Mark Knopfler. Dire Straits was Mark Knopfler so what is the difference that he is now " solo?"

Because the output of most Rock performers 20 or more years down the pike isn't as good as their early stuff. Most of the exceptions consist of albums that are mostly covers/re-recordings.

Because the output of most Rock performers 20 or more years down the pike isn't as good as their early stuff. Most of the exceptions consist of albums that are mostly covers/re-recordings.

Then Mark is an exception. Sultans of Swing came out in 1977 and Communiqué in 1979 ( some were written when they were a bar band in 1975 - 1977 ) All with the exception of a handful were written by Mark - a few were by his brother Dave before he left after Communiqué.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Knopfler#Solo_albums

and Solo albums

Solo albums Year Album details Peak chart positions Certifications

1996 Golden Heart 9 28 8 11 7 38 3 2 16 4 3 105

2000 Sailing to Philadelphia 4 16 2 19 3 7 2 1 11 2 1 60

2002 The Ragpicker's Dream 7 47 9 18 7 4 2 1 8 5 5 38

2004 Shangri-La 11 - 14 - 10 5 4 1 - 3 7 66

2007 Kill to Get Crimson 9 41 10 - 15 9 4 2 - 4 3 26 2009 Get Lucky 9 43 10 16 17 10 3 1 5 6 5 17

Mark also has a new album coming out this fall - we will see how this goes but considering the work that has been out his entire 37 year career, I am optimistic.

1975 - 2009 or 2012 with 1996 to 2009 ( so far being "solo" ) is noteworthy to say the least.

This is why I love Mark Knopfler as a musician. Songwriter, Vocalist, Lead Guitar player, Scorewriter - Mark Knopfler is one of the best musicians in our time , in my opinion.

He is the total opposite of the One Hit Wonder!

Edited by Peter McGuire

[Yes, Knopfler has played guitar with Chet Atkins, Clapton, Dylan, and others and played the hard parts, including on Layla.

In this day and age I don't need to tell you specifics - just Google Knopfler / Clapton Layla to start.

Best

Knopfler played the leads on Layla? That sounded wrong to and based on my quick research untrue Clapton played the leads and Allman played the slide parts. You hero did play with "Slowhand" live though.

Then Mark is an exception. Sultans of Swing came out in 1977 and Communiqué in 1979 ( some were written when they were a bar band in 1975 - 1977 ) All with the exception of a handful were written by Mark - a few were by his brother Dave before he left after Communiqué.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Knopfler#Solo_albums

and Solo albums

Solo albums Year Album details Peak chart positions Certifications

1996 Golden Heart 9 28 8 11 7 38 3 2 16 4 3 105

2000 Sailing to Philadelphia 4 16 2 19 3 7 2 1 11 2 1 60

2002 The Ragpicker's Dream 7 47 9 18 7 4 2 1 8 5 5 38

2004 Shangri-La 11 - 14 - 10 5 4 1 - 3 7 66

2007 Kill to Get Crimson 9 41 10 - 15 9 4 2 - 4 3 26 2009 Get Lucky 9 43 10 16 17 10 3 1 5 6 5 17

Mark also has a new album coming out this fall - we will see how this goes but considering the work that has been out his entire 37 year career, I am optimistic.

1975 - 2009 or 2012 with 1996 to 2009 ( so far being "solo" ) is noteworthy to say the least.

This is why I love Mark Knopfler as a musician. Songwriter, Vocalist, Lead Guitar player, Scorewriter - Mark Knopfler is one of the best musicians in our time , in my opinion.

He is the total opposite of the One Hit Wonder!

Sales have little to do with quality, 3 of the 7 top selling singles of the 1950s were recorded by Pat Boone, the Chipmunks and Paul Anka. The number 2 single of the 60s was The Ballad Of The Green Berets by Staff Sergeant Barry Sadler. The top singles of the 70s were:

1 You Light Up My Life, Debbie Boone

2 Stayin` Alive, Bee Gees

3 Shadow Dancing, Andy Gibb

4 You`re The One That I Want, John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John

5 Disco Lady, Johnnie Taylor

6 Night Fever, Bee Gees

7 Star Wars Theme/Cantina Band, Meco

8 How Deep Is Your Love, Bee Gees

9 Le Freak, Chic

10 Car Wash, Rose Royce

As albums the top selling ones for a few years are indicated below

1966 Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Whipped Cream & Other Delights [11] 1967 The Monkees

More of The Monkees 1976 Peter Frampton Frampton Comes Alive 1981 REO Speedwagon Hi Infidelity [26] 1982 Asia Asia

Awazing that Knopfler could do what Lennon, McCartney, the Rolling Stones, Dylan etc couldn't

Edited by Len Colby

[Yes, Knopfler has played guitar with Chet Atkins, Clapton, Dylan, and others and played the hard parts, including on Layla.

In this day and age I don't need to tell you specifics - just Google Knopfler / Clapton Layla to start.

Best

Knopfler played the leads on Layla? That sounded wrong to and based on my quick research untrue Clapton played the leads and Allman played the slide parts. You hero did play with "Slowhand" live though.

Knopfler did in this concert.

Awazing that Knopfler could do what Lennon, McCartney, the Rolling Stones, Dylan etc couldn't

I agree. That is the staying power and true musical genius of Mark Knopfer. Dylan is still around though, and I like his tune "My Back Pages, " but I never was a big fan.

The Stones were just a fad. Lennon and McCartney were decent songwriters and their act is legend, but they did not continue to write anything worthwhile after their breakup.

Is this Mark Knopfler in the vest and white shirt? It sounds like his playing but I don't recognize him. His appearance has changed a lot over the years - even from one year to the next.

If you look closely, the man playing the lead in Slow Hand is using a pick, therefore, definately not Mark Knopfer.

Edited by Peter McGuire

• 2 weeks later...

Mark will be touring with Bob Dylan in the US and Canada Oct-Nov. Dates for these shows will be announced 18 July at 5 pm UK time/noon EDT with the first presales starting on Friday (20th July).

Mark's new double CD album - Privateering - will be released in September. The first single, Redbud Tree, will be streamed on markknopfler.com shortly.

Edited by Peter McGuire

Mark will be touring with Bob Dylan in the US and Canada Oct-Nov. Dates for these shows will be announced 18 July at 5 pm UK time/noon EDT with the first presales starting on Friday (20th July).

Mark's new double CD album - Privateering - will be released in September. The first single, Redbud Tree, will be streamed on markknopfler.com shortly.

Why does Mark Knopfler stand out among other Rock musicians?

It may be because of the fact that he was an educated man who studied hard in school , and worked a regular job ( English teacher at a community college ) while learning his ultimate trade.

"In 1968, after studying journalism for a year at Harlow Technical College,[8][9] Knopfler was hired as a junior reporter in Leeds for the Yorkshire Evening Post.[10] Two years later, he decided to further his studies, and went on to graduate with a degree in English at the University of Leeds.[11] In April 1970, while living in Leeds, Knopfler recorded a demo disk of an original song he'd written, "Summer's Coming My Way". The recording included Mark Knopfler (guitar and vocals), Steve Phillips (second guitar), Dave Johnson (bass), and Paul Granger (percussion). Johnson, Granger, and vocalist Mick Dewhirst played with Mark in the band Silverheels"

Edited by Peter McGuire