The Education Forum

Andrews Air Force Base 22/11/63 Color

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naval Officer and nurse who were removed from the front seat of the grey ambulance by Greer and Kellerman.

nurse.jpg

A couple of seconds after this "clip" starts, a dark colored vehicle pulls up on the other side of the plane with its headlights on. Could it be "the other ambulance"?

--Tommy :sun

Thank you Robin, very nice...b

Hi B

Good to see you posting again.

I was really sorry to here of Jack's passing

We didn't always see eye to eye regarding his conclusions, but i considered him to be one of the good guys.

Robin,

Where did you find this? It's amazing.

Joe Backes

Thanks for the comments.

The clip came from here Joe.

http://www.criticalp...Maryland&temp=1

So, now my question is where did they get this color film from?

That's a good question Joe.

This color footage was a revelation to me, i didn't know that color film of this Andrews Air Force base segment existed until now.

Robin,

Joe Backes

Thanks for the comments.

This color footage was a revelation to me, i didn't know that color film of this Andrews Air Force base segment existed until now.

Well, it's not film. It's color video. It's color TV. This is not film. And it's not colorized black and white film, not that awful cookie waffer colors imposed upon black and white film. This is real color TV. I would never have thought that that truck with the elevated back was such a bright shiny yellow. And I think the reason they're offering it with no sound is because it's from some TV network and we'd be able to recognize the voice of a commentator or who ever is talking. There's no way this video actually had no sound from network people in a studio and no sound from the scene at AFB. But, everything about it is right for early 1960's color TV.

Robin,

Joe Backes

Thanks for the comments.

Well, it's not film. It's color video. It's color TV. This is not film. And it's not colorized black and white film, not that awful cookie waffer colors imposed upon black and white film. This is real color TV. I would never have thought that that truck with the elevated back was such a bright shiny yellow. And I think the reason they're offering it with no sound is because it's from some TV network and we'd be able to recognize the voice of a commentator or who ever is talking. There's no way this video actually had no sound from network people in a studio and no sound from the scene at AFB. But, everything about it is right for early 1960's color TV.

Quote:

Hi Robin,

Very nice find, but Joe Backes is quite mistaken. The clip is 16mm film, not video, shot almost certainly by one of the pros from the Andrews Air Force Base audio/visual department.

The live TV broadcast details were very well documented at the time. The pool coverage - and original tapes of all three network broadcasts still exist (The Sixth Floor Museum has two of them and all three nets have their own) - was barely put together in time and only two cameras were set up. ABC, CBS, and NBC all had the same views and, as I recall without checking, each could not select which camera it wanted - everyone got the same video and sound.

The proof that the pool coverage was a rush job is the non-linearity of one of the cameras that shows LBJ squished down from top to bottom. The engineers simply did not have enough time to pre-adjust that camera properly.

In addition, the "look" of color cameras of the era is completely different than b&w video, so it's easy for those of us with experience who know what to look for to recognize whether a color camera was being used.

Furthermore, NBC was the leader in color in those days and, if a color feed was available to them, they would have used it. They did not. (It's a little known story, but the NBC affiliate in Dallas - where I worked in the 80s and 90s - had color cameras since 1954 and their studios fed color video to the network early in the assassination coverage. NBC, which had only an old, b&w studio available for their anchors soon dropped the color from Dallas because, to them, it was embarrassing the network to only be b&w.)

Gary Mack

Guest Tom Scully

This is getting old. Can we not handle this "feed" from the Sixth Floor Museum, this way, especially if an installment of "the feed" begins with, "So and so is quite mistaken...."?

The Forum rules have been revised; please read them.

Thank you.

The Spirit of the Law

The purpose of all of these rules is to ensure that this forum remains a law-abiding, civil, and congenial place to engage in discussion. That a post complies with that spirit is a greater consideration than whether it can be defended as being within the rules. ...........

Second & Third Party Posting

Do not post on behalf of other people. In other words, if someone you know has something to say relevant to the discussion in a thread, have them register and post it. Think of them as a copyrighted source: you can quote them in short amounts, but if there is something substantial they want to add, they must do it themselves. The exception to this is if new memberships are temporarily suspended and you have confirmed with the administrators that the third party posting is acceptable. Posting on behalf of a moderated, suspended or banned member is strictly forbidden.

Edited by Tom Scully

Tom

I received information contrary to Joe's statement:

Well, it's not film. It's color video. It's color TV. This is not film

would you rather that i left this incorrect information on the forum without correcting it. ?

Also, i have ALWAYS given credit to my scource of information when posting on the ED Forum regardless of who it was.

how else would you have me specify where i received the information posted.

I REFUSE TO TAKE CREDIT FOR SOMEONE ELSES WORK. !