The Education Forum

PRUs

I have read the Ofsted report into SEN (thanks to David), and wonder if anyone can tell me the % of students in PRUs? The stats in the report do not separate them out. Also, if anyone happened to have same figures for EBDs that would be useful too.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Jean , I can't give you the information you want at the moment but I would like to take this opportunity to speak up on behalf of PRUs. We used to have one in the small town in which I teach run by an experienced and skilful teacher. This used to give school staff and selected students a well earned breather and more importantly provide advice and support. When the PRU was closed the support was offered on an outreach basis which also produced successful results. Now....well I expect you have guessed the rest. There still a number of PRUs that have been retained but these tend to be for students with extreme and often anti-social and violent behaviour, where the 'revolving door ' policy of old is inappropriate.

• 3 weeks later...

Jean

In response to your query about the number of excluded students currently being educated in PRUs, the TES this week gives the number as 13,000. Apparently, statemented students are four times more likely to be excluded which makes me query the effectiveness of behaviour support in schools. Number of children registered as having behaviour, social and emotional difficulties is 126,500. However, none of these statistics include the 15,000+ who simply disappear from the education system altogether.