The Education Forum

Edwin Walker, Loran Hall, Gerry Patrick Hemming, Lawrence Howard, Harry Dean

Paul Trejo

http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/30/3029-001.gif

A strange contact ?.

Or a relative?.

The owner http://www.google.com/patents/US3426879?printsec=abstract&dq=ininventor:%22Gene+Cowden+Walker%22&ei=2N-0ULPUM8yS0QX5yoH4Cw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Sorry for the edits my IPhone is more intelligent than I.

Edited by Ian Kingsbury

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tom Scully

http://jfk.ci.dallas...30/3029-001.gif

A strange contact ?.

Or a relative?.

The owner http://www.google.co...epage&q&f=false

TARRANT COUNTY, TEXAS - BIRTHS 1930, Ro-Z ...

files.usgwarchives.net/tx/tarrant/vitals/births/1930/tarrzb30.txt

... Beach F. M. Rumph Rusher, Stanley Inf Of 2-26-1930 F Minnie Miller Stanley ..... Gene Cowden 6-30-1930 M Minna Flenning Campbell Lee Walker Walker, .

http://abetternation.blogspot.com/2005/06/things-ive-learned-from-my-father.html

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Things I've Learned from My Father

My father is turning 75 June 30th.

He was born in Fort Worth in 1930 at the dawn (or more appropriately, into the darkness) of the depression and to parents who weren't quite sure what to do with him. An only child, he was isolated growing up. He was very bright, though, and so he became scholastic and ambitious and always seemed to belong to other times and another cultural milieu than his own - either to an age of greater statesmen, perhaps even to an ancient, formal and rather austere patrician class or to a post Willie Lohman, post corporate ladder world of irascible pundits or philosopher kings. He was valedictorian of his high school class and attended Rice, the University of Texas and Harvard.

Some of his wistful comments or bitter jokes showed me, as I was growing up, that he would have loved to rule the world but for the people in it......

1. <a class="bbc_url" href="http://docs.newsbank.com/g/GooglePM/ST/lib00155,0EB04280C833C6A2.html" rel="nofollow external" title="External link">Fort Worth Star-Telegram: OBITUARIES

$2.95 -
    Fort Worth Star-Telegram - Feb 17, 1998
    On Christmas Day 1926, she married Campbell Lee Walker, pharmacist and member of the Campbell and Lee Walker farming and ranching families of Parker ...

2. Fort Worth Star-Telegram : OBITUARIES

$2.95 -
    Fort Worth Star-Telegram - Feb 18, 1998
    On Christmas Day 1926, she married Campbell Lee Walker, pharmacist and member of the Campbell and Lee Walker farming and ranching families of Parker ...

3. Fort Worth Star-Telegram : OBITUARIES

$2.95 -
    Fort Worth Star-Telegram - Feb 16, 1998
    She was preceded in death by her husband, Campbell Lee Walker in 1989. Survivors: Son and daughter-in-law, Gene C. and Kathleen Walker of Dallas and Tin .

Edited by Tom Scully

http://jfk.ci.dallas...30/3029-001.gif

A strange contact ?.

Or a relative?.

The owner http://www.google.co...epage&q&f=false

Ian,

Nice find!

It's a bit too much of a coincidence for me that, according to the DPD document, 1) the license plates were off by only one letter, 2) both license plates were for eight-year-old 1959 Plymouths, 3) both cars were registered to people in the same part of Texas, and 4) that one of the cars was spotted by DPD Criminal Intelligence police/detectives at the house of the estranged husband of the other car (Ruth Paine). I wonder if this car was particularly "suspicious looking" to those two guys, or if they reported all cars they saw at Michael Paine's house. Also very interesting is the fact that DPD Criminal Intelligence was surveilling Michael Paine's house as late as June, 1967. FWIW, the handwriting at the bottom of the document looks like patrolman A. J. Carroll Jr.'s.

Somehow, the styling of a 1959 Plymouth with its huge fins doesn't seem like the kind of car Ruth Paine would drive (unless of course it was a station wagon with a luggage rack. Hmmm, they do kinda look like Rambler station wagons...). If it really was Ruth Paine's car, could it be that Michael drove it and it was just registered in Ruth's name? It's also interesting that in 1967 Ruth and Michael were (apparently) living
only two blocks away from each other on the same street

Here are some images of three 1959 Plymouth "Savoys." (If they aren't visible here, click on the link and scroll about 2/3 of the way down.)

http://www.allpar.co...outh/savoy.html

savoy-cars.jpg

"1959 saw the Savoy become the base model in the Plymouth camp, with the Plaza having been discontinued."

_____________________________________________________________________________________

From a Wikipedia article on Plymouth (Automobiles):

http://en.wikipedia....i/Plymouth_Fury

"In 1959, Plymouth introduced the Sport Fury as its top model, and the Fury as its second from the top model to replace the Plymouth Belvedere at the top of the regular Plymouth line-up. In doing so, the Fury range now contained sedans and station wagons as well as a hardtop coupe and sedan, while the Sport Fury series had only a 2-door hardtop and convertible. The Sport Fury was dropped at the end of 1959, but was reintroduced in mid-1962."

Edit: Here's an even better website about 1959 Plymouths:

http://www.allpar.co.../cars-1959.html

From yet another website, scroll down to the 18th, 23rd, 39th, etc photos from the top to see a green 1959 Plymouth station wagon with a luggage rack:

http://www.flickrive.../tags/plymouth/

IMHO, the 1959 "Fury" and "Belvedere" models looked a lot like the 1959 base-model "Savoy" (four headlights, big rear fins, etc). The "Dart" and "Valiant" models weren't introduced until 1960.

Thanks,

--Tommy
:sun

P.S. Have I missed anything, William King?
Edited by Thomas Graves

Thanks Tom and Tommy

I am trying to establish a link between Ruthless Paine

And general Walker there seems to be a class of people

In Dallas who were mover and shakers arou d the political right

Linked to the church in other words any Christian church group

Would be above suspicion merely cos they are church founded

I believe Mrs Connel became a Rosicrucian and their is "talk" of

Michael and /or Ruthless attending meetings with Oswald could these have been on church premises?.

These would be a good opportunity for Ruth Paine to fill her filling cabinets

Guest Tom Scully

Very interesting, Ian. Why do you think Father McChann went to Boston in summer, 1963, considering the demands of his efforts on behalf of Dallas Cubans? I also find it curious that Lucille Connell went to Boston to stay with her 28 years old son, a Harvard MD, '61, presumably a busy psychiatric physician completing his rigorous training as a medical resident, with Lucille "entertaining" McChann at her son's apartment, according to Gertrude Castorr.

Gene C. Walker posted last month that he was Harvard MBS '60. A year later he was back in Dallas working for a subsidiary of a

very private conglomerate controlled by a man so obscure the NY Times could not seem to publish his correct middle initial in his obituary.:

The Alcalde - Jun 1961 - Page 23 - Google Books Result

books.google.com/books?id=qNIDAAAAMBAJ

Vol. 49, No. 10 - Magazine

'53 GENE C. WALKER, BS ME '53, MS '55, has returned to Texas after five years in the East where he received his MBA from Harvard Business School. He has been elected president of Aero Test Equipment Company in Dallas and will reside ....

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/11/14/obituaries/charles-sammons-90-executive.html

Charles Sammons, 90, Executive

Published: November 14, 1988

Charles G. Sammons, a billionaire and philanthropist, died Saturday at St. Paul Medical Center. He was 90 years old.

Mr. Sammons was chairman of the board of Sammons Enterprises Inc., a conglomerate of insurance, cable television, travel, industrial supply and bottled-water companies.

Unlike most billionaires, he did not inherit his wealth and he never went to college. In September, Forbes magazine estimated Mr. Sammons's personal wealth at $1.3 billion.

Born in 1898 in what is now Oklahoma, Mr. Sammons was orphaned at the age of 11, and then lived with an aunt in Plano, Texas, near Dallas. First Company at 19 Years Old

He started a grain and hay business when he was 19. In 1928, he entered the insurance business and 10 years later formed the Reserve Life Insurance Co., wich became the basis for his fortune.....

http://www.sammonsenterprises.com/index.asp?strType=Content&strMenuId=6x&strPage=Sammons_Story

Sammons: Sammons Story

www.sammonsenterprises.com/index.asp?strType...Sammons...

Jump to Retirement Not for Charles Sammons‎: In the later years of his life, Charles Sammons developed Parkinson's disease. Though it never ...

http://redbook.gao.gov/5/fl0022797.php

B-144621, SEP. 27, 1961

"1. ON OCTOBER 28, (1960) AFTER THE SIZE STATUS OF STANDARD STEEL WORKS, INC. HAD BEEN PROTECTED BY E. D. ETNYRE AND COMPANY, T. C. WEALE, ACTING DEPUTY ADMINISTRATOR, DETERMINED THAT STANDARD STEEL WAS NOT A SMALL BUSINESS CONCERN FOR THE PURPOSE OF GOVERNMENT PROCUREMENT. THE DETERMINATION WAS BASED ON THE FACT THAT (1) RESERVE LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY OF DALLAS, DALLAS, TEXAS, OWNED 57 PERCENT OF THE VOTING STOCK OF STANDARD STEEL WORKS, INC. AND, THEREFORE, CONTROLLED OR HAD THE POWER TO CONTROL IT AND SO WAS AFFILIATED WITH IT WITHIN THE MEANING OF SECTION 121.3-2 (A) OF THE SMALL BUSINESS SIZE STANDARDS REGULATION (24 F.R. 3491); AND (2) THE TOTAL AVERAGE EMPLOYMENT OF RESERVE LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY (OVER 3,500 EMPLOYEES) AND STANDARD STEEL WORKS, INC. (AND ITS SUBSIDIARY, AERO-TEST EQUIPMENT COMPANY) SUBSTANTIALLY EXCEEDED THE PUBLISHED PROCUREMENT SIZE STANDARD (500 EMPLOYEES) FOR MANUFACTURING CONCERNS (SEE SECTION 121.3-8 (A) OF THE SMALL BUSINESS SIZE STANDARDS REGULATION (24 F.R. 3491) ).'

....14. ..... A MEMORANDUM DATED AUGUST 10, 1960, FROM MR. SAMUEL S. SOLOMON, THE SBA DIRECTOR OF THE OFFICE OF SMALL BUSINESS SIZE STANDARDS, TO MR. H. W. WOODWARD, THE ACTING CHIEF, PROCUREMENT AND TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE, KANSAS CITY REGIONAL OFFICE OF SBA, READS AS FOLLOWS: "THIS IS IN REPLY TO YOUR MEMORANDUM DATED JULY 15, 1960 IN WHICH YOU ASK WHETHER SUBJECT COMPANY IS AFFILIATED WITH CERTAIN INSURANCE COMPANIES WHICH OWN STOCK OF SAID COMPANY.

"THE FILE INDICATES THAT THE ENTIRE CAPITAL STOCK OF SUBJECT COMPANY IS OWNED BY FIVE INSURANCE COMPANIES. ONE OF THESE COMPANIES, RESERVE LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY OF DALLAS, OWNS 4/7THS OF THE STOCK. WHILE THE NAMES OF THE OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS ARE LISTED, THERE IS NO INDICATION OF THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE FIVE INSURANCE COMPANIES. YOU RECOMMENDED THAT BECAUSE THE INSURANCE COMPANIES PURCHASED THE STOCK AS AN INVESTMENT ONLY, AND NOT FOR MANAGEMENT CONTROL PURPOSES, THAT THEY SHOULD BE CLASSIFIED WITHIN THE EXCEPTION NOTED IN THE REGULATIONS EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE NOT REGISTERED UNDER THE INVESTMENT ACT OF 1940.

Thanks Tom and Tommy

I am trying to establish a link between Ruthless Paine

And general Walker there seems to be a class of people

In Dallas who were mover and shakers arou d the political right

Linked to the church in other words any Christian church group

Would be above suspicion merely cos they are church founded

I believe Mrs Connel became a Rosicrucian and their is "talk" of

Michael and /or Ruthless attending meetings with Oswald could these have been on church premises?.

These would be a good opportunity for Ruth Paine to fill her filling cabinets

You're welcome, Ian.

Regarding the 1959 Plymouth Ruth Paine allegedly owned in 1967, I found the following post by Dave Reitzes which was originally posted on alt.assassination:

https://groups.googl...jfk/0oNjn6bcN_Q

"On an undetermined date in October 1963, Michael and Ruth Paine took Oswald to

look at a used car that was for sale by one of Michael's co-workers, George

Stephenson. It was a two-toned, blue and white Oldsmobile. At a slightly later

date, Michael Paine purchased Stephenson's blue and white Oldsmobile for $200,

writing two separate checks for $100 each from his account at Southwest Bank &

Trust Co. The following day he wrote a $200 check to this account from a

separate account at Irving Bank & Trust Co. This second check was presumably to

cover the first two; both bank accounts were in Michael Paine's name, and both

were checking accounts; the Paines had a joint savings account. The FBI asked

Stephenson what the reason for this was. Stephenson said Paine told him he

wrote the two $100 checks to avoid the sales tax on vehicles costing $200 or

more.

After days [sic] before or after the beginning of November, a friend of Michael's by

the name of Raymond Krystinik drove Paine to Stephenson's house, followed Paine

as he drove the blue and white Oldsmobile to the Paine house (where Krystinik

briefly met Marina Oswald), then drove Michael back to work at the Bell

Helicopter Laboratory in Arlington, where [Michael] Paine's Citroen was parked. Krystinik

didn't ask why the Paines needed a third car.

When asked by the Warren Commission why he bought the Oldsmobile, Michael Paine

replied that he wanted to demonstrate to the Oswalds that the purchase of a car

was within their means. When asked the same question, Ruth Paine said it was to

be a spare vehicle in case her husband's broke down. The Commission did not ask

her why, then, Michael's spare vehicle was being kept at the house where Ruth

lived, not at Michael's apartment; the Paines were separated until shortly

after the assassination. While testifying at a grand jury hearing during the

Jim Garrison investigation in 1967, Ruth Paine said the car was purchased for

spare parts.

The Dallas Police Department was unusually curious about this car. When they

examined it in December 1963 they noted it had no tags. In January 1965, the

DPD observed a tag on the vehicle, but were unable to trace its registration.

In May 1965, the DPD noted that the car had a new tag, which was properly

registered to the Paines. The police paid another visit to the Paine house in

1967 to inquire about the Oldsmobile; now it was gone, replaced with a 1959

white Plymouth station wagon. There is no record of why exactly the Dallas Police had taken such an interest in the blue and white Oldsmobile (Information on the Paines' vehicles from Carol Hewett, "Ruth and Michael Paine's Mystery Car")."

------------------------------------------------------------------

So, in 1964 Michael Paine lamely testified at the WC that he owned a Citroen and the above-mentioned (1956) Oldsmobile, which he'd bought in early November 1963 for $200 just to show the Oswalds how "within their reach" a car was for them, and how (Ozzie's?) "driving was something to be sought." Liebelier asked him, "In addition to the ($200) Oldsmobile that you mentioned, you personally own a Citroen automobile and your wife owns a station wagon, is that correct?" To which Paine replied, "That is correct." I wish Liebelier hadn't put the words in MP's mouth, but had simply asked him about the number and kind of cars that he and Ruth owned in 1964.

As is written in the Reitzes post above, Ruth Paine testified to the WC that the ($200) Oldsmobile station wagon was "a spare car" for Michael. But three years later, "While testifying at a grand jury hearing during the Jim Garrison investigation in 1967, Ruth Paine said that the [$200 Oldsmobile] car was purchased for spare parts." If that's the case, did MP own another Oldsmobile that he didn't fess up to? I doubt it. He had a Citroen and he lived in an apartment. So, now I'm starting to wonder, could you really use Oldsmobile parts in a Citroen or a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air "Beauville" station wagon (which I'm convinced is what RP owned in 1963) back in the day? It seems as though Ruth Paine couldn't keep her stories straight as to why Michael had bought the '56 Olds. I suspect that he bought it for Oswald to drive and that Ozzie had agreed to pay him back in "affordable" monthly installments.

But I digress. What I'm really interested in right now is if Ruth Paine owned a 1959 green and white Plymouth station wagon in 1967 and either loaned it to Michael or was visiting him on June 7, 1967 when the two DPD guys spotted it at Michaels house. Or did she own a white one in 1967, instead? Or both? Or neither? http://jfk.ci.dallas...30/3029-001.gif

--Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

Tom, Paul, this article in Granma mentions Walker.

http://www.granma.cu...ov-Kennedy.html

Havana. November 29, 2012

CLOSE TO 50 YEARS AFTER HIS ASSASSINATION

Kennedy’s dream

Gabriel Molina

BARACK Obama is the only aspirant that can make my father’s dreams come true, affirmed John F. Kennedy’s daughter during the 2008 U.S. primaries.

Senator Ted Kennedy endorsed that unexpected statement, and thus the tide was turned from the favorite up until then, Hillary Clinton. Obama became the first African-American President of a profoundly racist country. In this way he acquired a kind of commitment, which will be revived by the 50th anniversary next year of the world-shaking assassination of John F. Kennedy on November 22, 1963, a commemoration which coincides with President Obama’s second term in office.

That same afternoon of November 22, the CIA made it public that Lee Harvey Oswald, the alleged lone gunman, had links with Cuba. One of the most revealing refutations of this was made by researcher Peter Kornbluch, who disclosed a visit to Fidel Castro made by the sons of the likewise assassinated Robert Kennedy.

"In February 1996, Robert Kennedy Jr. and his brother, Michael, traveled to Havana to meet with Fidel Castro. As a gesture of goodwill, they brought a file of formerly top secret U.S. documents on the Kennedy administration's covert exploration of an accommodation with Cuba…Castro thanked them for the file and shared his impression that it was [President Kennedy's] intention after the missile crisis to change the framework of relations between the United States and Cuba. ‘It's unfortunate,’ said Castro, ‘that things happened as they did, and he could not do what he wanted to do.’" (1)

Kornbluch describes as historical irony the fact that the opportunity for communication with the Cuban Revolution arose from the two most hostile episodes in U.S.-Cuba relations: the Bay of Pigs and the Missile Crisis. Negotiations for the compensated return of the 1,200 Bay of Pigs prisoners provided the contacts and confidences through the lawyer James Donovan, secretly representing the Kennedy brothers.

Donovan reported that when he was about to fly back to the United States, Fidel’s doctor and aide, René Vallejo, posed the issue of relations. On November 7, 1963, the State Department responded that the reestablishment of relations would be incompatible with the maintenance of Cuban relations with the Sino-Soviet bloc… It must renounce Marxism-Leninism. Kennedy rejected this response and instructed McGeorge Bundy, his national security adviser, in a secret message, not to present Castro with a condition that he obviously couldn’t meet, but to seek more flexible ideas." (2)

In reality, the Kennedy brothers considered this moment highly propitious, unlike Donovan’s gesture at the end of 1961 and that of Comandante Che Guevara when, on Fidel’s instructions, he put serious proposals to Richard Goodwin, Kennedy’s envoy, in a secret meeting in August 1961 during the Inter-American Economic and Social Council in Punta del Este. (3)

In fact, the person who took the initiative in 1963 was Lisa Howard of the ABC television program "The News Hour with Lisa Howard." She obtained an exclusive interview with Fidel in May 1963, a few days after Fidel’s first visit to the USSR, where the Cuban leader reiterated to Nikita Khrushchev his profound displeasure over the Russian leader’s management of the withdrawal of the nuclear missiles installed in Cuba.

According to Howard, the Cuban leader, who disagreed with the way in which the crisis was averted, told her in private that he was prepared to discuss the issue of Soviet personnel and military equipment in Cuba and compensation for land and other investments expropriated from U.S. proprietors. The first contact was on September 23, 1963, during a party at Howard’s home on Park Avenue. Carlos Lechuga, Cuban ambassador to the UN, talked in a corner with the U.S. ambassador, William Attwood, who said he would ask President Kennedy for authorization to go to Havana to talk with Fidel Castro. Attwood left for Washington and informed Robert Kennedy, who encouraged him to go ahead with the process, but that it was not a good moment to go to Havana, as such a step would prompt moves in Congress to block it. On November 5, Bundy told Attwood that the President had been informed. However, like Robert, it did not seem to him an opportune moment either, although Fidel had proposed sending a plane to Mexico to take Attwood to an airport in Varadero, where they could meet in secret. It was proposed that Vallejo should travel to New York, but Fidel didn’t consider that prudent.

After other discreet negotiations, a little after midnight on November 18, Attwood made telephone contact from Howard’s house with René Vallejo in order to maintain the mutual discreet agreement. They agreed that Fidel should send an agenda of items to discuss afterward with him in Havana. Three days before the assassination, on November 19, Attwood was informed that he would meet with Fidel in Cuba.

During the course of those three days, Kennedy personally sent two messages to Fidel. On October 24, President Kennedy had received Jean Daniel, editor of the French Nouvel Observateur weekly, who let it be known that he was traveling to Cuba to interview the Prime Minister of Cuba. Kennedy told Daniel that he approved of Fidel Castro’s proclamation in the Sierra Maestra when the guerrilla leader called for justice and an end of corruption in Cuba. Kennedy sympathized with Fidel, because the Cuban leader’s anti-Americanism came from the knowledge of a number of sins, embodied in Batista, committed by the United States in Cuba before the Revolution. He added that the embargo could be lifted if Fidel ended his support for left movements in the hemisphere. (4) Kennedy asked Daniel to return to the United States and see him after he had finished his work in Cuba.

The other message was that Fidel should listen attentively to the speech Kennedy was to give in Florida before traveling to Dallas. In that speech he declared that the only obstacle dividing the United States from Cuba was that the island was the weapon of an effort dictated by foreign powers to subvert other American republics. (5)

Jean Daniel conversed with Fidel for six hours on November 19 at the Havana Riviera Hotel where he was staying, the same day that Attwood’s visit to Havana was agreed. They met again on November 22, but while they were talking, Fidel received a telephone call. He said to Daniel, "It’s about Kennedy… in Dallas… Something bad has happened… Very bad… very, very bad! His peace mission is ended. Everything has changed… they have assassinated Kennedy, this is terrible… Kennedy could have been the greatest president of the United States, the only leader, at the end of the day, who managed to understand that there can be peaceful coexistence between capitalists and socialists, including in the Americas." (6)

In 1978, the House Special Committee investigating the Kennedy assassination recommended that the inquiry be continued, as they suspected that it was executed by CIA groups and Italian-American mafiosi and their allies of Cuban origin, in particular 40 Cuban members of Brigade 2506 taken on by the agency in the subversive plans sector.

The projected change toward Cuba was an important motive for Kennedy’s assassination, but not the only one, as the Kennedy brothers posed many challenges. In 1961, the President refused to use nuclear weapons in the Berlin Crisis and in South East Asia, as advised by the Defense Department. In the 1962 Missile Crisis he refused to bomb and invade Cuba and prior to that, resisted very heavy pressure to intervene directly in the Bay of Pigs by deploying the regular armed forces. In June 1963 he made a speech at the American University, in which he called for the abolition of nuclear weapons, an end to the Cold War and Pax Americana, and to work toward general and complete disarmament, unprecedented proposals in that warmongering environment. A few months later he signed a partial treaty on nuclear testing with Nikita Khrushchev. Although it was limited in range, it was enough for Goldwater to accuse him the following month, August 1963 – less than a year after the October Missile Crisis – of opening a fatal hole in the nations’ defenses in the face of an enemy missile attack. Before this attack, the controversial Senator affirmed that the Kennedy brothers were establishing a Soviet-American mutual society.

But that wasn’t all. In attempting to fulfill his program, he also came up against the interests of the oil and pharmaceutical industries and the banks; with racists who were prospering from discrimination and those who were by imitation. In October, one month before his assassination, Kennedy ordered the withdrawal of 1,000 troops from Vietnam and announced a total withdrawal by the end of 1965. That was too much. For these concealed forces, Kennedy had moved from being a cold war combatant, which they believed he was, to a dangerous pacifist. His clear anti-war statements, his decision to commit himself in private to maintain channels of conversation with Cold War enemies, marked Kennedy out as an enemy of National State Security. The President understood very well that his resistance to the winds of war put him on a dangerous collision course with the CIA and the military-industrial complex.

He had had the experience of Major General Edwin A. Walker attempting to prevent the measure which initiated the battle against segregation in universities and was virtually guilty of insubordination, siding with civil racists. Kennedy was forced to use all his authority to quell the anti-segregation movement.

Peter Wyden, author of The Bay of Pigs, admitted that the CIA could not be controlled and that Kennedy paid dearly for his error, because if he had controlled the CIA as he thought, they would not have been able to assassinate him. Obama now has the opportunity of attaining some of Kennedy’s dreams, in particular, one of his last ones, which is in the genuine interest both of Cuba and the United States.

edit mistatement

Edited by John Dolva

Tom, Paul, this article in Granma mentions Walker.

http://www.granma.cu...ov-Kennedy.html

Havana. November 29, 2012

CLOSE TO 50 YEARS AFTER HIS ASSASSINATION

Kennedy’s dream

Gabriel Molina

BARACK Obama is the only aspirant that can make my father’s dreams come true, affirmed John F. Kennedy’s daughter during the 2008 U.S. primaries...Obama became the first African-American President of a profoundly racist country. In this way he acquired a kind of commitment, which will be revived by the 50th anniversary next year of the world-shaking assassination of John F. Kennedy on November 22, 1963, a commemoration which coincides with President Obama’s second term in office.

<snip>

The projected change toward Cuba was an important motive for Kennedy’s assassination, but not the only one...In 1961, the President refused to use nuclear weapons in the Berlin Crisis and in South East Asia, as advised by the Defense Department...In the 1962 Missile Crisis he refused to bomb and invade Cuba...prior to that, he resisted very heavy pressure to intervene directly in the Bay of Pigs by deploying the regular armed forces...In June 1963 he made a speech at the American University, in which he called for the abolition of nuclear weapons, an end to the Cold War...and to work toward general and complete disarmament, unprecedented proposals in that warmongering environment...he signed a partial treaty on nuclear testing with Nikita Khrushchev...

But that wasn’t all. In attempting to fulfill his program, he also came up against the interests of the oil industries and the banks...with racists who were prospering from discrimination and those who were by imitation...In October, one month before his assassination, Kennedy ordered the withdrawal of 1,000 troops from Vietnam and announced a total withdrawal by the end of 1965...

His clear anti-war statements, his decision to commit himself in private to maintain channels of conversation with Cold War enemies, marked Kennedy out as an enemy of National State Security. The President understood very well that his resistance to the winds of war put him on a dangerous collision course with the CIA and the military-industrial complex.

He had had the experience of Major General Edwin A. Walker attempting to prevent the measure which initiated the battle against segregation in universities and was virtually guilty of insubordination, siding with civil racists. Kennedy was forced to use all his authority to quell the anti-segregation movement.

Peter Wyden...admitted that...if he [JFK] had controlled the CIA as he thought, they would not have been able to assassinate him...

John, thanks for sharing this recent news article from Havana, Cuba, by Gabriel Molina. It is a tribute to JFK, with only a few flaws. For one thing, in his list of JFK's sins against the right-wing, the learned Molina neglected to directly name JFK's connection with Martin Luther King, Jr. among those alleged sins. Also, Molina seems to presume that a generic CIA assassinated JFK, thus taking the heat off of the actual ground-crew and individuals on the street.

The rightists could not have fulfilled their hatred without a ground-crew. Molina rightly mentions ex-General Edwin Walker in his recollection of the racist riots at Ole Miss (9/30/1962) yet he neglects to mention the full measure of hostilities between Walker and JFK.

A possible brain tumor may have fueled Walker's paranoia (noted by two Army doctors) that sent him over the edge. Even at the bottom of his popularity, Walker remained a respected leader among the most radical rightists including the Minutemen -- a secret, paramilitary organization that practiced guerrilla war techniques in the backwoods of the USA. These Minutemen (according to a former member, Harry Dean, who is also a long-time member of this FORUM) would repeat John Birch Society slogans on a daily basis, to the effect that JFK was a communist traitor who deserved to die for his betrayal of Cuba.

Jack Ruby named ex-General Edwin Walker and the John Birch Society directly to Chief Justice Earl Warren, but Warren did not understand the reference. ATF officer Frank Ellsworth told the Warren Commission that ex-General Edwin Walker and the Minutemen were the most likely suspects in the JFK assassination, but the Commission did not follow his reference. Harry Dean, while stil a member of the Minutemen but also an FBI informant, told the FBI in 1963 that he personally witnessed ex-General Walker making plans and providing funds to Cuban Exile guerrilla fighters and naming Lee Harvey Oswald as their patsy. But the FBI did not follow up on that lead.

Even the entire HSCA, from 1977 through 1979, in their resurrection of the JFK investigation, neglected ex-General Edwin Walker even as they spent millions of dollars investigating Johnny Rosselli, Santos Trafficante, Carlos Marcello and Sam Giancna. What a waste.

That said, I appreicate Gabriel Molina's reference to the rascist opportunism of ex-General Edwin Walker in his foreward looking article about Cuba and the Obama administration.

If there really is a connection between JFK and Obama, perhaps in 2013, the 50th anniversary of the JFK assassination, President Obama might take additional steps to reveal the truth about Lee Harvey Oswald by declassifying the final documents still held hostage by the US Government about the JFK assassination.

Also, sometime in the next four years, Fidel Castro may finally give up his earthly coil, and Cuba might become reconciled with the USA, just as China was gradually transformed after the death of Mao.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

<edit typos>

Edited by Paul Trejo

• 1 year later...

Paul

Was Dulles the instigator or the Washington cover? Walker could not have contained the whole operation surely!.

This must have been under the watchful eye of intel of all sorts hence the cover up.

It's been a long time since I've reviewed your question, Ian, yet I would answer it differently today.

I agree today that Ex-General Edwin Walker could not have contained the entire JFK murder operation, and surely not even a part of the vast cover-up that included manipulation of the autopsy and the standing down of US Army protection for JFK.

To maintain my theory that Walker was far more important in the JFK murder than history has so far ascribed to him, I would still attempt to maintain that Walker controlled the Dallas portion of the operation with an iron fist, and that he delegated the sheep-dip of Oswald to Guy Banister and Ed Butler (who had plenty of help in NOLA, including David Ferrie, Carlos Bringuier, Loran Hall and Larry Howard -- and even Gerry Patrick Hemming).

Many patsies were sought during the months leading up to November 1963 -- but when Walker had the bright idea to make a patsy of Lee Harvey Oswald -- and when Walker got expert help from Banister and Butler in NOLA -- the pieces then flew together like magic.

Everything came into focus once Lee Harvey Oswald was put into a perfect position to be the patsy. This was the brain-child of Ex-General Edwin Walker. Walker's main motivation was his belief (whether warranted or not) that Lee Harvey Oswald had been his shooter on 10 April 1963. His personal papers now on display at UT Austin (Briscoe Center) provide ample proof of Walker's beliefs on this topic.

Naturally there were back-up plans. Nothing this big could be left to the possibility of accidents. There were back-up patsies. Double-agents were first on the list. This is why R.C. Nagell panicked and got himself arrested on 20 September 1963 -- he didn't want to become a back-up patsy. Hemming also thought he was a back-up patsy. So did Loran Hall. Harry Dean has some evidence that he was considered as a back-up patsy.

But everything went smoothly with Lee Harvey Oswald. He could be manipulated precisely because he wasn't a CIA Agent (or an FBI Agent) but he knew he was under consideration, and he desperatedly wanted to be one, and he believed he was being tested for the job.

Like most underlings in the JFK murder plot, Oswald got started with the mistaken belief that this was one more plot to kill Fidel Castro. This is the key clue to explain the Mexico City episode. Lee Harvey Oswald didn't know he was making a fool of himself in Mexico City -- but his sheep-dippers knew very well that he was.

R.C. Nagell and Harry Dean agree on another key point -- that Lee Harvey Oswald believed that he would receive $500 from some Intelligence Agent in Mexico City. (Remember that, adjusted for inflation, $500 in 1963 was like $5,000 today). So, nothing was going to prevent the poverty-stricken Oswald from Mexico City -- or from making deals with people he presumed were in the CIA. An elaborate charade had been prepared for Oswald.

I still don't see the CIA directly involved -- I will give them the benefit of this doubt. The players in the CIA who played ball with Guy Banister and Ed Butler were David Atlee Phillips, William Harvey and David Morales -- but this was all on their own time. Their activities were unofficial, as they had become wild card rogue radicals.

Perhaps James Jesus Angleton, Richard Helms and E. Howard Hunt became directly involved when they found out later (rather than as accomplices after the fact, as I currently suspect).

The problem with the CIA in 1963 is that the culture of high secrecy gave the top agents far too much freedom to do anything they wanted -- including a plot like this. Those close to the Bay of Pigs survivors had become emotionally involved. So I can't feel certain about each and every player -- yet.

Within the Pentagon, I believe we can be certain that General Lansdale was directly involved -- perhaps he was the highest ranking US official involved -- and we have this directly from Fletcher Prouty, a former CIA operative. This information is rock solid, I'm sure.

Still, I maintain that this was unofficial -- it was a rogue action and known only to a very few people. General Lansdale was trusted, and he was used to top secrecy, since he dealt so closely with the CIA for so long.

Nevertheless -- nothing at all could have proceeded until the patsy was completely ready -- and the status magically transformed when Lee Harvey Oswald returned to Dallas, hat in hand, humbled, and finally ready to follow orders and be a team player. It was too late for him -- but he didn't know it.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Paul

I agree that Helms was involved in the cover up but not so sure about the assassination.

I believe I wrote several years ago of some documents that I uncovered dealing with meetings between Helms, Whitney Shepardson, Wilho Tikander and others in June or so of 1959. At the time Tikander speculated that his old friend and Stockholm associate "Dick" Helms was going to run an off track mission through Helsinki, Sweden. A few months later Oswald enters Sweden and a U-2 is shot down over Russia the following May leading to the failure of the Paris Summit. Paris Summit and the Limited Test Ban Treaty was something that John J. McCloy did not want to see happen and it did not happen.

This is where I believe Oswald was the "Patsy" that he said he was and this is supported by what Oswald spoke about at Spring Hill College shortly before the assassination of JFK. Oswald was upset about the failure of the Paris Summit and I speculate that Oswald was also very upset by the way that he was "set-up" to play a roll in the failure of the Paris Summit. Upset enough to kill the President? Even the House Select Committee on Assassinations suggested that Oswald had the capacity to kill the President and that it would be predictable that he would do so if given the chance based upon Oswald's willingness to attempt to kill Walker (Something that G. D. speculated immediately following the attempt on Walker's life).

I can imagine that Helms would be very quick to deny any association with Oswald and as such would be the right point man to have reporting to the Warren Commission.....even if Helms could figure out who was behind the assassination of JFK. I believe Walker helped Oswald make his way to Helsinki (and GP Hemming agreed with me) making it important for Walker to sustain his story and belief that it was in fact Oswald that had shot at him.

In MHO the man who would have been behind the assassination would have to know that both Helms and Walker would fall into place after the assassination if for no other reason than they could be associated with Oswald and therefor be labeled as co-conspirators if the dominos started to fall.

To me this is the key.......who is that one man that knew all the pieces.....and IMHO it is John J. McCloy.

Jim root

Paul

I agree that Helms was involved in the cover up but not so sure about the assassination.

I believe I wrote several years ago of some documents that I uncovered dealing with meetings between Helms, Whitney Shepardson, Wilho Tikander and others in June or so of 1959. At the time Tikander speculated that his old friend and Stockholm associate "Dick" Helms was going to run an off track mission through Helsinki, Sweden. A few months later Oswald enters Sweden and a U-2 is shot down over Russia the following May leading to the failure of the Paris Summit. Paris Summit and the Limited Test Ban Treaty was something that John J. McCloy did not want to see happen and it did not happen.

This is where I believe Oswald was the "Patsy" that he said he was and this is supported by what Oswald spoke about at Spring Hill College shortly before the assassination of JFK. Oswald was upset about the failure of the Paris Summit and I speculate that Oswald was also very upset by the way that he was "set-up" to play a roll in the failure of the Paris Summit. Upset enough to kill the President? Even the House Select Committee on Assassinations suggested that Oswald had the capacity to kill the President and that it would be predictable that he would do so if given the chance based upon Oswald's willingness to attempt to kill Walker (Something that G. D. speculated immediately following the attempt on Walker's life).

I can imagine that Helms would be very quick to deny any association with Oswald and as such would be the right point man to have reporting to the Warren Commission.....even if Helms could figure out who was behind the assassination of JFK. I believe Walker helped Oswald make his way to Helsinki (and GP Hemming agreed with me) making it important for Walker to sustain his story and belief that it was in fact Oswald that had shot at him.

In MHO the man who would have been behind the assassination would have to know that both Helms and Walker would fall into place after the assassination if for no other reason than they could be associated with Oswald and therefor be labeled as co-conspirators if the dominos started to fall.

To me this is the key.......who is that one man that knew all the pieces.....and IMHO it is John J. McCloy.

Jim root

Very interesting perspective, Jim.

I can accept and follow most of this. I wonder if Oswald knew he was being used as a patsy in the USSR, however. Perhaps -- I'm not convinced yet.

Was Oswald capable of killing JFK? Nobody could find a motive. If Oswald figured out that he was a patsy in the USSR, then perhaps you've uncovered a motive. I'm not convinced, yet.

Yet I'm inclined to agree with you, for two main reasons:

(1) Lee Harvey Oswald was only a fake supporter of the FPCC and Fidel Castro. Actually, Oswald was a right-wing vigilante and his material friends and associates were all right-wing vigilantes. (Oswald did communicate with the Communists, but only using the postal service, and deliberately leaving a paper trail. Oswald did not form friendships on the left-wing.)

On the right-wing, Oswald was careful never to leave a paper trail -- but we have eye-witnesses including those identified by Jim Garrison, Joan Mellen, Gerry Patrick Hemming and Harry Dean.

(2) Lee Harvey Oswald's friends were all extreme right-wingers -- and as Gerry Patrick Hemming and Harry Dean agree, everybody in the extreme right-wing in 1963 spoke about murdering JFK on a daily basis.

(There were probably 200 plots to murder JFK out there, suggested Hemming, with people donating money so wildly, than when JFK was finally murdered, the crooks tried to blackmail those who had donated money, threatening them with exposure, and so those donors turned to the Mafia to kill the blackmailers, said Hemming. This was one key reason that Hemming would never tell all he knew.)

Therefore, I agree that Lee Harvey Oswald was capable of shooting at JFK (precisely over the Bay of Pigs).

However, I don't believe that Oswald was crazy enough to try this on his own. I believe that Oswald became part of a much larger plot -- involving scores of people -- and he finally agreed to take orders for a change. It was too late for him, though, because he had been sheep-dipped as Patsy Number One.

Oswald didn't know that he was the Patsy at the time. That means that he was easily fooled. That suggests that he did not realize he was a patsy in the USSR until long after the fact (if ever).

Nothing changed Lee Harvey Oswald from his friends and connections in the extreme right-wing.

For this reason, the Warren Commission and FBI had to paint Lee Harvey Oswald as a "Loner" even though he really had plenty of friends. All of Oswald's friends and associates were on the right-wing -- and for some strange reason the Warren Commission and the FBI decided to shield the right-wing from lawful prosecution.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo