The Education Forum

Article: Human Compromise and the Protection Racket

Uh Doug, did you not read Fonzi's book?

He devotes a whole chapter to this issue.

If you did read it then you forgot it. Which I find hard to buy into since its one of the most vividly written, humorous and memorable chapters in a wonderful book.

If you did not read it then I think it says something about your JFK lexicon.

No, Jim, I have not read Gaeton Fonzi’s book in which he talks apparently about the arrest of Sturgis in New York City.

Have you listened to the interview of former NYPD detective Jim Rothstein that I posted a link earlier in this topic?

If you have not, then you apparently don’t have a total grasp of what went down with the Sturgis arrest and its relationship to the JFK assassination.

Rothstein, who had been appointed by the governor to the New York State Select Commission on Crime while continuing to serve on the NYPD vice squad, was alerted by an Intelligence Agent of Sturgis’ planned trip to New York to intimidate/murder Marita Lorenz to keep her from testifying to the House Select Committee on Assassinations.

Four persons were involved in arresting Sturgis. Two were Rothstein and his NYPD cop partner. It was agreed beforehand that after the arrest of Sturgis and before he was formally booked at the station that Rothstein was to talk to him because Rothstein has been involved in the Bay of Pigs operation. So after the arrest Rothstein did talk to Sturgis and told him that he was on the ship Essex, which bombed the Bay of Pigs for three days just prior to the landing of the recruited armed men. Rothstein said that he was on the bridge when the ship received the order from JFK to cease the bombing just prior to the landing. Rothstein said that when Sturgis heard this he knew Rothstein was on the up-and-up and had served on the Essex and started talking to him. They talked for two hours. He told Rothstein about being involved in the JFK assassination and being a shooter on the grassy knoll. He further told Rothstein that he had given a 22-page full confession of how the assassination was carried out and his role in it to the Cardinal of New York in 1971. (Rothstein is not sure whether it was Cardinal O’Connor.) Rothstein said that later he had the opportunity to have the confession read to him.

Rothstein says he was present at the police station when Sturgis after being booked was allowed to make a phone call and that Sturgis called Gaeton Fonzi. Rothstein says not long thereafter Frank Nelson arrived at the station and inquired about obtaining the release of Sturgis. Rothstein says that Nelson was a mysterious person involved in the JFK assassination conspiracy and was part of what he called the intelligence mob. Rothstein says that he was shocked that someone involved in the assassination such as Sturgis would call someone like Fonzi.

Rothstein says that sometime after Fonzi’s book was published, which he had read, he talked with Fonzi. He asked Fonzi, “Why did you call Frank Nelson?” Fonzi replied that he did not call Nelson but the Marita Lorenz had. Rothstein said that Marita did not call Nelson to go to the station because she was in the presence all the time of those associated with him in arresting Sturgis. Rothstein said at that point, Fonzi said, “Holy cow. This thing was all monitored.” Rothstein replied, “No kidding.”

So apparently someone was wire-tapping Fonzi’s phone and heard the call from Sturgis and immediately alerted Nelson to go to the police station. One guess would be that Sturgis knew that Fonzi’s phone was being wire-tapped by assassination forces allied with him and that he used the call as a clandestine means to get his release from jail.

Once again I suggest that it would be worthwhile to listen to the December 21, 2006 interview of Rothstein, especially to the second hour of that interview although the full interview is fascinating.

http://arcticbeacon....CN/12-2006-GCN/

Edited by Douglas Caddy

Quote D. Caddy.

...Rothstein did talk to Sturgis and told him that he was on the ship Essex, which bombed the Bay of Pigs for three days just prior to the landing...

Closw quote

Huh? I never heard of such a bombing. I know, that AFTER the landing jets of the Essex where involved in some rescue flights, to minimize the death toll of the brigade 1506. There was some pressure on Kennedy to use the Jets of that aircraft carrier to ball out the brigade, and made a success out of a failure, to which Idea (promoted bey Charles Cabell, and Allen Dulles), he said NJET, because that would have meant the official involvement of US- forces.

KK

@Caddy. The rest of the Rothstein-story is interesting

Edited by Karl Kinaski

Quote D. Caddy.

...Rothstein did talk to Sturgis and told him that he was on the ship Essex, which bombed the Bay of Pigs for three days just prior to the landing...

Closw quote

Huh? I never heard of such a bombing. I know, that AFTER the landing jets of the Essex where involved in some rescue flights, to minimize the death toll of the brigade 1506. There was some pressure on Kennedy to use the Jets of that aircraft carrier to ball out the brigade, and made a success out of a failure, to which Idea (promoted bey Charles Cabell, and Allen Dulles), he said NJET, because that would have meant the official involvement of US- forces.

KK

@Caddy. The rest of the Rothstein-story is interesting

Rothstein in his interview says that he was on the Essex and “we had bombed the Bay of Pigs for three days and three nights.”

I had interpreted his statement to mean that the Essex had engaged in the bombing when it may be that Rothstein was talking about the initial bombing of the Bay of Pigs operation that began on April 15, 1961, which was before the landing of the armed men. Wikipedia reports that “On April 15, eight CIA-supplied B-26 bombers attacked Cuban air fields before returning to the U.S….”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_of_Pigs_Invasion

---------------------------------------------------------------

17 April 1961 Brigadistas (Cuban exiles) of Brigade 2506 opposed to the regime of Fidel R.

Castro sailed from British Honduras (Belize) for Bahía de Cochinos (Bay of Pigs), Cuba, during

Operation Zapata—an attempt to overthrow Castro. The U.S. concentrated naval support for the

émigrés initially within Task Group Alpha (81.8), including Essex (CVS 9), with CVSG-60

embarked. Aircraft from Essex were to fly CAP over the invader’s landing craft and

reconnaissance flights over Castro’s forces and comprised—12 McDonnell Douglas A4D-2

Skyhawks of VA-34, two Grumman S2F-1 Trackers and eight S2F-1Ss of VS-34, four Douglas

AD5-W Skyraiders of VAW-12 Detachment 45, 15 Sikorsky HSS-1 Seabats of HS-9, one

Piasecki (Vertol) HUP-3 Retriever of HU-2 Detachment 45, and one Grumman TF-1 Trader. To

accommodate the Skyhawks on board Essex the S2F-1s of VS-39 temporarily operated from

NAS Quonset Point, R.I.

http://www.history.navy.mil/Special%20Highlights/Cuban%20Missile/Chronology_USNAviation_CMC.pdf

--------------------------------------------------------

“On our way back to Norfolk the crew was told to keep quiet about where we were and what we did.”

http://www.ussessexcv9.org/Bay_Of_Pigs.htm

Doug,

I'm not sure why but you seem desperately to want to believe in this guy's story no matter how many holes there are in it. Yes the natural interpretation of “we had bombed the Bay of Pigs for three days and three nights.” would be that plane from the Essex had done so but that was not the case. On a separate note Military.com's "Buddy Finder" only lists the following Rothsteins from the USN:

Damien Rothstein Navy Reservist (Active) O-3 FL pixel.gifSamuel Rothstein Navy Inactive Res/Guard (not drilling) E-6 NE pixel.gifSEYMOUR ROTHSTEIN Navy Retired Military E-5 FL Steve Rothstein Navy Veteran/Prior Service E-4 FL pixel.gifTammy Rothstein Navy Inactive Res/Guard (not drilling) E-6 FL

http://www.military.com/buddy-finder/results.do?fname=&lname=rothstein&mi=&service=NAVY&email=&rank=&mos=&agebegin=&ageend=&insname=&insbegin=&insend=&eduname=&edubegin=&eduend=&empname=&empbegin=&empend=&state=&stype=b&internalsource=BUDDYFINDER

Doug,

I'm not sure why but you seem desperately to want to believe in this guy's story no matter how many holes there are in it. Yes the natural interpretation of “we had bombed the Bay of Pigs for three days and three nights.” would be that plane from the Essex had done so but that was not the case. On a separate note Military.com's "Buddy Finder" only lists the following Rothsteins from the USN:

Damien Rothstein Navy Reservist (Active) O-3 FL pixel.gifSamuel Rothstein Navy Inactive Res/Guard (not drilling) E-6 NE pixel.gifSEYMOUR ROTHSTEIN Navy Retired Military E-5 FL Steve Rothstein Navy Veteran/Prior Service E-4 FL pixel.gifTammy Rothstein Navy Inactive Res/Guard (not drilling) E-6 FL

http://www.military....rce=BUDDYFINDER

I am going to attempt to get the email address/phone number of Jim Rothstein. I was interviewed several times in the past on The Power Hour, so I think its moderator will give it to me since Rothstein was interviewed on that show recently.

Once I have these, I shall ask him all the questions and issues that you and other forum members have raised in this topic to get his responses.

This probably is the best way to clear up the matter.

Doug,

http://www.military....rce=BUDDYFINDER

I spoke by telephone for almost two hours today with former NYPD detective Jim Rothstein. I can now state with full certainty that his credibility is fully established in my opinion. He possesses a wealth of information that would be of interest to the forum.

We spoke about Frank Nelson showing up to represent Frank Sturgis at the police station after detective Rothstein had arrested him in 1977. He said that it could be that a tail had been assigned to follow Sturgis upon his arrival in New York City and that the tail had seen that he had been taken to the police station. Thus the call to Nelson. This may be the more likely scenario than my guess that Fonzi’s phone was being wire-tapped when Sturgis telephoned him from the police station.

Some forum members have questioned whether detective Rothstein was aboard the ship Essex in the Bay of Pigs invasion. Below is his own report of what happened and of his role in that event. It was detective Rothstein’s recitation of this personal testimony that convinced Frank Sturgis to talk candidly to him for two hours in Marita Lorenz's residence after his arrest and before he was taken to the police station.

---------------------------------------------------

In early March of 1961, the Essex was at its homeport in Quonset, Rhode Island, when strange things started happening. Sailors were dispatched for rifle squad practice with a Marine leading the team. Old timers (salts) stated that this had not happened since WWII; something was up. The Essex sailed to the Norfolk Virginia Navy Shipyards. On Sunday morning, all liberty and leaves were cancelled. Train cars loaded with supplies pulled up next to the ship and the supplies were loaded onto the Essex. The word was, we were sailing to Nova Scotia for special operations.

On Monday morning, as the Essex sets sail, Rothstein is ordered to Winch #2 to prepare to take on cargo. Rothstein was the winch operator with his assistant, J.C. Adams. Armed marines and sailors were posted everywhere; only authorized personnel were allowed on deck. The Essex pulls alongside a heavily guarded barge with two long cylinders on the deck. Rothstein loaded both cylinders on board and watched as they are sent below deck in the bomb elevator. The Essex then headed for the open sea in due haste. When the Essex reached the Atlantic Ocean, it made a sharp turn to starboard (right). We were going south. If the Essex was going to Nova Scotia, it would have made a turn to port (left). Something big was up.

As the Essex began to near the coast of Florida, a squadron of US Navy jets was seen approaching the Essex; they did a fly-by and prepared to land. The Essex was not designed for jets; now it had been modified to have jets land and take-off. Now we knew for sure something was going on. When it got dark, the Captain of the Essex, Captain Searcy, advised the crew that they were on a special mission. The Capt. ordered “Darken Ship and No Communication” was in effect until further notice. We were advised we were going to Cuba. General Quarters was sounded. We were going to war.

Every day after that, till three days before the Bay of Pigs invasion, we practiced for the invasion. The jets were painted white; the only markings were numbers on the planes. The numbers on the ships were painted over. The flags were taken down. When refueling and replenishing occurred, the flags would be raised as the ships started their approach and lowered again immediately.

Three days before the invasion of the Bay of Pigs, the bombing, to soften up the beach at the Bay of Pigs, started. At night we headed to the beach. The Destroyers would go closer and bombard the beach. During the day, we would be out to sea and re-supply. On the day of the invasion, at approximately 0315 hours, Rothstein was manning the helm of the Essex when Capt. Searcy came out of his quarters. Capt. Searcy informed the crew on the Quarter Deck that the President of the United States, John Kennedy, had just ordered him to stop the bombing. Capt. Searcy knew that the revolutionaries would be killed. Orders were Orders.

The next three days were spent bringing survivors and bodies on board. Rothstein again manned Winch #2 and the bodies were brought aboard in cargo nets and put in boxes and then taken to reefers. There were many cargo nets of bodies. The Bay of Pigs was lost and it would seal the fate of John Kennedy.

I have received several emails from former NYPD detective Rothstein. Here are a few selected highlights:

Buddy Finder does not tell you that 2 of my brothers were in the navy or my 3 other brothers were in the Air Force. 6 brothers were in the military service because they aren’t on the computer it isn’t true.

I did not write about the stop in Florida, I did not see that, I just saw the fly-by and the jets coming in. They were the Blue Blasters, they were phenomenal. As big as a carrier is you don’t see everything. That is why the stories told by crew members cannot be the same.

Just because they haven’t heard about it they don’t want to believe it. Only Detectives on Special Assignment make these kinds of arrest.

-----------

Also detective Rothstein clarified that Sturgis’ confession in 1971 was given to Cardinal Cooke, not Cardinal O’Connor.

I have received several emails from former NYPD detective Rothstein. Here are a few selected highlights:

Buddy Finder does not tell you that 2 of my brothers were in the navy or my 3 other brothers were in the Air Force. 6 brothers were in the military service because they aren’t on the computer it isn’t true.

I did not write about the stop in Florida, I did not see that, I just saw the fly-by and the jets coming in. They were the Blue Blasters, they were phenomenal. As big as a carrier is you don’t see everything. That is why the stories told by crew members cannot be the same.

Just because they haven’t heard about it they don’t want to believe it. Only Detectives on Special Assignment make these kinds of arrest.

-----------

Also detective Rothstein clarified that Sturgis’ confession in 1971 was given to Cardinal Cooke, not Cardinal O’Connor.

That still leaves the biggest holes in his claims unaddressed:

1) His claim the involvement of the Essex in the BoP was still a closely guarded secret known only to participants when he supposedly arrested Sturgis, when in fact it had been public knowledge since at least 1965 when Life published preview excerpts of A Thousand Days.

2) His knowledge of the supposed secret being the basis for Sturges' supposed confession.

Ask him to provide details and dates of his supposed careers in the USN and NYPD and if possible photos and scans of documents substantiating his claims

-----------

That still leaves the biggest holes in his claims unaddressed:

1) His claim the involvement of the Essex in the BoP was still a closely guarded secret known only to participants when he supposedly arrested Sturgis, when in fact it had been public knowledge since at least 1965 when Life published preview excerpts of A Thousand Days.

2) His knowledge of the supposed secret being the basis for Sturges' supposed confession.

Ask him to provide details and dates of his supposed careers in the USN and NYPD and if possible photos and scans of documents substantiating his claims

Len:

Detective Rothstein has sent me four documents that contain startling information. This in addition to what he told me in our phone conversation yesterday.

I am going to check with him for approval as what I can post in the forum.

If you choose not to believe his information that is your right.

I do believe him and I shall post whatever he approves so that it will become part of the historical record.

Doug

I failed yesterday to include a paragraph about how Rothstein came to enlist in the Navy and was assigned to the Essex. This is below.

In 1959, James Rothstein accompanied Ronnie Lieser and Connie Stang to the US Navy Airbase in Minneapolis, MN. He enlisted in the USN Aviation Program and went into active duty in June, 1960. He was assigned to the USS Essex CVS9 based at Quonset, Rhode Island. He switched his rate to Boatswain Mate when he got onboard the Essex. The Essex immediately left for an extended cruise to the North Atlantic and Europe. They were going hunting for Russian submarines in the North Atlantic. They crossed the Arctic Circle and headed east. It was disguised as a good will cruise. The Essex is ordered to head for Pakistan. After transiting the Suez Canal and entering the Red Sea, a very memorable incident occurred. The sun was just setting as the movie; “The Old Man and the Sea” started playing in the hangar bay. The doors were open and the hue from the phosphorous in the Red Sea illuminated the passage of the Essex. The crew was mesmerized at what they were seeing both in the movie and on the sea.

In early March of 1961, the Essex was at its homeport in Quonset, Rhode Island, when strange things started happening. Sailors were dispatched for rifle squad practice with a Marine leading the team. Old timers (salts) stated that this had not happened since WWII; something was up.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

He [Sturgis] further told Rothstein that he had given a 22-page full confession of how the assassination was carried out and his role in it to the Cardinal of New York in 1971. (Rothstein is not sure whether it was Cardinal O’Connor.) Rothstein said that later he had the opportunity to have the confession read to him.

This is yet another aspect of his fables that stinks. As a Jewish New Yorker I doubt anyone living in the city independent of their religion would not be aware of who the Cardinal of the city was, that would especially apply to one working for the overwhelmingly Catholic NYPD. O’Connor only became cardinal in 1984. Cooke held the post 1968 - 83.