The Education Forum

Photo for Tosh

Tosh,

To continue the Gator/El Gato possibilities, I have dug up this image below. Do any of the guys standing in the background look familiar? Sorry about the ordinary quality. I know this is difficult given that it is such a long time ago.

BTW, that is Ramon Grau San Martin seated in the center and Tony Varona seated on the far right.

James

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Tosh can identify some of these guys:

Tim

Edited by Tim Carroll

Tosh,

To continue the Gator/El Gato possibilities, I have dug up this image below. Do any of the guys standing in the background look familiar? Sorry about the ordinary quality. I know this is difficult given that it is such a long time ago.

BTW, that is Ramon Grau San Martin seated in the center and Tony Varona seated on the far right.

James

James: thanks for the picture. I'll try to help on that one also, if I can. just need a little time. First impressions (Bogota, 1960???) (?/Eugene Martines right of lady??

The one I was asking about was posted a few days ago. I thought you had posted it. I said I would get back to it. I tried to find it but have not as yet, and was wondering it you could re- post it... if it was you who posted it..

The picture is a black and white taken(I think) at a A-66 training site called

The "FARM" in the Everglades. (?62) OR at another site (staging and training site for the up comming BoP, before going into 'TIDE"operations. However I think it was A-66's tent city, in the everglades. Front row are eight people poseing. in the background is a man in a white shirt and another with a "cowboy" styled had and a white helment linner MP Guard or "Camp Guard". I said I would get back to it and if I could name any of them from memory I would try. Sorry I did not note the location of the post at the time. I have a small break before I have to get back to my other projects.

These are my first impressions from memory,after looking briefly at the previous post the other day.

From left to right front row: 1. "Eddie Collins", 2. not sure, 3."Carriles".. the postman.., or perhaps " Howard Hunt", not real sure. 4. "Elando Devalle" 5. "Nazario Sargen", 6. "The Bull' Torres, 'El Toro'. 7 (?) "Bosch, Orlando" 8. "John Martino" In the background: left to right: 9. man in white shirt, "Felipe" could be Santiago". 10. (?) I think is a person who some called "Cowboy".

This is NOT "INTERPEND" or "NO NAME KEY". location I am sure. Could have been called "Pelican Roost, #2," by the gringos at Miami Station.

Another picture was posted, later. I cannot find now: A man standing at the back of a car with his foot on the bumper. AGAING MY MEMORIES and RECALL ONLY. Poss (?) Bernard Torres a member of the "Dallas Cubans" my first impressions. My second impression: Bud Turner a charter pilot based out of 'Dallas Aero Service, Dallas Love Field. Hope this helps. Tosh

Thanks Tosh

Tosh,

James

James: thanks for the picture. I'll try to help on that one also, if I can. just need a little time. First impressions (Bogota, 1960???) (?/Eugene Martines right of lady??

The one I was asking about was posted a few days ago. I thought you had posted it. I said I would get back to it. I tried to find it but have not as yet, and was wondering it you could re- post it... if it was you who posted it..

The picture is a black and white taken(I think) at a A-66 training site called

The "FARM" in the Everglades. (?62) OR at another site (staging and training site for the up comming BoP, before going into 'TIDE"operations. However I think it was A-66's tent city, in the everglades. Front row are eight people poseing. in the background is a man in a white shirt and another with a "cowboy" styled had and a white helment linner MP Guard or "Camp Guard". I said I would get back to it and if I could name any of them from memory I would try. Sorry I did not note the location of the post at the time. I have a small break before I have to get back to my other projects.

These are my first impressions from memory,after looking briefly at the previous post the other day.

From left to right front row: 1. "Eddie Collins", 2. not sure, 3."Carriles".. the postman.., or perhaps " Howard Hunt", not real sure. 4. "Elando Devalle" 5. "Nazario Sargen", 6. "The Bull' Torres, 'El Toro'. 7 (?) "Bosch, Orlando" 8. "John Martino" In the background: left to right: 9. man in white shirt, "Felipe" could be Santiago". 10. (?) I think is a person who some called "Cowboy".

This is NOT "INTERPEND" or "NO NAME KEY". location I am sure. Could have been called "Pelican Roost, #2," by the gringos at Miami Station.

Another picture was posted, later. I cannot find now: A man standing at the back of a car with his foot on the bumper. AGAING MY MEMORIES and RECALL ONLY. Poss (?) Bernard Torres a member of the "Dallas Cubans" my first impressions. My second impression: Bud Turner a charter pilot based out of 'Dallas Aero Service, Dallas Love Field. Hope this helps. Tosh

Thanks Tosh

Thanks Tim: Thats the one I was talking about earlier. Please keep in mind this is only my impressions from long ago memories. Tosh

Tosh,

James

James: The man 3rd from left front row I think I know, but cannot recall. The man standing to the left of the lady in the dress I also know, but from the time frame of around 1957-58. Gun-running. Is Carlos Piro Socarras (?) in the picture? My memory fails me. The only one who could be the 'Gator" I have spoken and on my flight (if he is in this picture and I can not be sure of that.., is the person on the back right standing behind the little Lady," Mrs Rosa" Romaros(?) a friend of old man Rojas who was executed by Fidel Castro in Feb. 1959. Rojas had been with the Batista Secret Police. He was the grandfather of the Rojas who used to work for Cabana Airlines, Havana, Miami, before going with the CIA anti-Castro rebels around 1961. He was my pilot on some of the flights into Cuba and Dallas. (1962-63) Rojas could have been standing out of view, next to Rosa. (rt) I'll get back to it. (the picture) Tosh

From left to right front row: 1. "Eddie Collins", 2. not sure, 3."Carriles".. the postman.., or perhaps " Howard Hunt", not real sure. 4. "Elando Devalle" 5. "Nazario Sargen", 6. "The Bull' Torres, 'El Toro'. 7 (?) "Bosch, Orlando" 8. "John Martino" In the background: left to right: 9. man in white shirt, "Felipe" could be Santiago". 10. (?) I think is a person who some called "Cowboy". (Tosh Plumlee)

Tosh,

Thanks for your initial thoughts. I can confirm the Collins ID and Bernardo de Torres is the guy 4th from the right. I can also tell you this image was snapped in Miami in mid September of 1963 by Tom Dunkin - most likely around the 17th.

I believe you are correct that this was an old Alpha 66 training site but this day was for a parade of the Antoneo Maceo Battalion which I believe was slightly deluded in believeing that they were going to get any support for their actions against Cuba.

I have an unconfirmed report that De Torres told several of the exiles there that he and Collins were on their way to Dallas to as he said, "take care of some business."

It is my belief that about a week after this photograph was taken, De Torres showed up at Sylvia Odio's using the name Leopoldo.

Also regarding this day in September 1963, I believe John Martino was under the impression that he met Lee Harvey Oswald but in fact it was William Seymour who under the orders of the plotters, may have been being tested as to his acting abilities.

Here is another image of that day below. It is De Torres again (on the left) with a guy who bears a striking similarity to Jose Perdomo. Perdomo may have been the Sam Jenis who Frank Sturgis was reporting to in 1959 but I can't get that confirmed or not. Any ideas?

Also, Perdomo was the one who was working as the Dakota building doorman when John Lennon was shot.

Thanks again for your imput on this, it is most valuable.

James

James: The man 3rd from left front row I think I know, but cannot recall. The man standing to the left of the lady in the dress I also know, but from the time frame of around 1957-58. Gun-running. Is Carlos Piro Socarras (?) in the picture? My memory fails me. The only one who could be the 'Gator" I have spoken and on my flight (if he is in this picture and I can not be sure of that.., is the person on the back right standing behind the little Lady," Mrs Rosa" Romaros(?) a friend of old man Rojas who was executed by Fidel Castro in Feb. 1959. Rojas had been with the Batista Secret Police. He was the grandfather of the Rojas who used to work for Cabana Airlines, Havana, Miami, before going with the CIA anti-Castro rebels around 1961. He was my pilot on some of the flights into Cuba and Dallas. (1962-63) Rojas could have been standing out of view, next to Rosa. (rt) I'll get back to it. (the picture) Tosh (Tosh Plumlee)

Tosh,

I don't think Prio is in the photo but it was at about this time he hooked up with Ramon Grau San Martin and Carlos Hevia.

You are spot on with Gator. There is a photo of this guy with Larry LaBorde that I can't get my hands on at the moment. That should show him more clearly. Fingers crossed.

Thanks, Tosh. Good work.

James

Edited by James Richards

Tosh:

Do you have any thoughts on the identity of this man?

I would have loved for it to be shown to be Cesar, but I have to question that.

Tim

Edited by Tim Carroll

Christy and Tosh,

Are we talking pictures of Eugene Thane Cesar? I get confused easily. :(

A Cesar comparison below - images being a few years apart. I understand Tosh, if you don't wish to elaborate but was there a connection between Cesar, Hemming and Hargraves that you are aware of? Also had you heard the chatter that Hemming was in Sirhan's apartment before the LAPD?

And Christy, I was hoping to get to Dallas this November but some work has come up in Port Douglas which was too good to knock back. My plan is to visit Dallas next year and we can down those ales. ;)

James

Edited by James Richards

"...connection between Cesar, Hemming, and Hargraves?..."

According to Hemming and Hargraves there was. But I do not believe there was any direct connection.

The FBI's Miami field office to the CIA's CAG, has Hemming at another place. Also pictures supplied (or incerted) at the time, have been mis-labeled. With all due respect. It does not matter how I know. But,I know. Tosh

Dont' have pix Tosh, perhaps James Richards?  Sorry James, I owe you many ales in Dallas.  Settle up this year perhaps?

Christy; Do you have a blown up picture of Pelican Roost, about 1991 and the person in the picture?

Do you have a copy of the boy in 4th Army uniform standing with Leslie's mother Joan (1954) ? If so, would it be possible to post a blown up of the faces of these two for comparison? Just a long shot.... thanks Tosh

Also pictures supplied (or incerted) at the time, have been mis-labeled. With all due respect. It does not matter how I know. But,I know. (Tosh Plumlee)

No problems, Tosh. I understand that elaboration at times is impossible.

Regarding the mis-labeled images, are you referring to the guy at No Name Key or am I confused again? :(

James