The Education Forum

Joseph McBride, Into the Nightmare: My Search for the Killers of President John F. Kennedy and Officer J. D. Tippit (2013)

And a column today with a somewhat differing perspective on the book and assassination research by Doug Moe of my old paper, The Wisconsin State Journal, Madison:

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/columnists/doug-moe/doug-moe-joe-mcbride-goes-public-with-private-obsession-about/article_a4dd7368-301b-5f20-88ba-dd32f93d59bf.html

Edited by Joseph McBride

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. McBride,

Have you ever speculated that Officer J.D. Tipitt may have been badgeman and, if so, could that have been the impetus for his frantic search and subsequent death?

Chris, That possibility is indeed explored at length in INTO THE NIGHTMARE, including in Chapter 15, "'Badge Man.'"

Vince Palamara, whose groundbreaking work on the Secret Service and medical aspects
of the assassination has been so important to our understanding of the events of November 22, 1963, posted this review on Amazon.com of my book INTO THE
NIGHTMARE: MY SEARCH FOR THE KILLERS OF PRESIDENT JOHN F. KENNEDY AND OFFICER J. D. TIPPIT:

A Master Work! July 23, 2013
By Vince Palamara

Every once in a while, a book comes along that is not merely a book, a good book, or even, for that matter, a great book, but what I am fond of calling a master work. "Into The Nightmare" by Joseph McBride is just such a rare commodity: a master work on the assassination that is very well written (even poetic at times), thought provoking, and well researched. Clearly, the author is passionate about both President Kennedy (having met the man several times in younger days) and his tragic assassination. This passion comes through, loud and clear, on every page, but without the shrill tone common in many books on this subject. In short, this volume was written with loving care, encompassing every facet of the case, including the murder of police officer J.D. Tippit, an area that usually receives short shrift in the literature of the assassination.

Along with other such master works as Jim Douglass "JFK & The Unspeakable" and Doug Horne's 5-volume"Inside The ARRB", McBride's book is an essential purchase and essential reading. This one is a keeper; a book you will refer back to again and again. They don't make them like this very often. Get this very fine volume asap- you'll be glad you did.

Mr McBride,

Thank you for the reply re:Badge Man. I suppose another possibility is that Tippit was simply tasked by Ruby to "take out" Oswald and that his failure to do so meant that Ruby had to carry out the deed himself.

Is it known if Officer Tippit wore a small white cross within a circle on the left sleeve of his uniform?

Chris

Chris,

The officer firing in the Badge Man photo is wearing the regulation

DPD patch on his left arm, but it does not appear there is a cross in

it, although that can't be ruled out. I know there has been

discussion of the meaning of crosses on other officers' uniforms, ranging

from rightwing identification marks to first-aid certification marks.

Other than possibly the pictures of Badge Man, who was photographed

several times, there are no known pictures of Tippit in uniform on 11/22/63.

The officer firing in the Badge Man photo is wearing the regulation DPD patch on his left arm, but it does not appear there is a cross in it, although that can't be ruled out. I know there has been discussion of the meaning of crosses on other officers' uniforms, ranging from rightwing identification marks to first-aid certification marks.

Other than possibly the pictures of Badge Man, who was photographed several times, there are no known pictures of Tippit in uniform on 11/22/63.

There are actually people in the world who still believe that "Badge Man" is a real live human being? Amazing.

http://jfkfiles.com/jfk/html/badgeman_6.htm

http://jfkfiles.com/jfk/html/badgeman.htm

What a difference a little bit of coloring (and a good imagination) can make:

Moorman-Photo-Blowup.png

Badge+Man--Colorized.jpg

Prior to enlarging the picture, the area that comprises the width of "Badge Man's" head is a whopping 1/69th of an inch in size in Mary Moorman's original photograph. (And the Moorman picture is a poor quality Polaroid to begin with.)

And yet in that very confined area within a super-sized blow-up of an already low-quality Polaroid, we're supposed to believe that the kind of detail depicted in the colorized version of the Badge Man image shown above can really be achieved....right down to the two eyes in the "Badge Man" figure, and his left ear, plus the arm insignia, and the badge, and his hairline, plus the "hard hat" on "Hard Hat Man"?

It's ridiculous.

The person who colorized Moorman's blow-up has colorized a combination of a Coke bottle, sunlight, shadows, and photo grain, and has magically transformed those things into THREE separate human beings. Quite an achievement indeed.

Edited by David Von Pein

I don't want to get into a long debate with you, David, because from what i've read here,

you are wedded to your lone-nut theory and don't seem to want

to consider others. But if you would read my book, you'll see that

part of my very detailed discussion of this photo and the blowup

is the fact that the HSCA Photographic Panel concluded in studying

the various photos and films of the figure behind the retaining wall

that the figure as it appears in Willis No. 5 was indeed a human being. That figure

is the same as Badge Man, in my view, though I think the HSCA contradicts itself by claiming

the Moorman photo was too underexposed in that region

to enable it to find evidence of a person. The panel said a person is visible behind the

retaining wall in the Zapruder film. And there is other evidence of Badge Man.

I don't want to get into a long debate with you, David, because from what i've read here, you are wedded to your lone-nut theory and don't seem to want to consider others.

Hi Joseph,

I have merely followed the evidence to where it leads in the JFK & Tippit cases -- and that evidence leads to only one man....a man you have (incredibly) "exonerated" in your book, Lee H. Oswald. Which means you think ALL the physical evidence in the case is phony. And such a belief is just not a reasonable one, IMO.

Re: Black Dog Man --- http://jfk-archives.blogspot.com/2010/06/black-dog-man.html

Edited by David Von Pein

I don't want to get into a long debate with you, David, because from what i've read here, you are wedded to your lone-nut theory and don't seem to want to consider others.

Hi Joseph,

I have merely followed the evidence to where it leads in the JFK & Tippit cases -- and that evidence leads to only one man....a man you have (incredibly) "exonerated" in your book, Lee H. Oswald. Which means you think ALL the physical evidence in the case is phony. And such a belief is just not a reasonable one, IMO.

Re: Black Dog Man --- http://jfk-archives.blogspot.com/2010/06/black-dog-man.html

Edited by Joseph McBride

Hi Joseph,

Edited by Joseph McBride

I doubt you have read my book, but you still call it "incredible."

What I said was "incredible" was your claim that you have "exonerated" Lee Harvey Oswald in "both shootings" (JFK's and Tippit's):

"I identify possible suspects in both shootings and exonerate

others, including Oswald." -- Joseph McBride

Yes, it is indeed my opinion that the above quote uttered on this forum by Mr. McBride is "incredible". In fact, given the evidence (which I am more than a tad bit familiar with myself), such a statement about Lee Harvey Oswald being "exonerated" in EITHER of those two 11/22/63 shootings is not only "incredible" -- it's impossible (particularly Tippit's murder).

Edited by David Von Pein

There is legal cause to convene a Dallas County Grand Jury to review the new witnesses and evidence, and Dallas D.A. Watkins should do it, but, like Garrison, or Sprague, Tanenbaum or any other honest and independent DA, he isn't strong enough, though he does have an assistant prosecutor who handles the cold cases, including all those that Henry Wade had convicted but were released on new DNA evidence. If the convicted suspects didn't commit those crimes, somebody else did, and this guy is swamped with unsolved cold cases.

But maybe, if "Into the Nightmare" can provide a hammer and some ammunition, the mere threat of Watkins convening a Tippit grand jury would spook the feds into getting into the game - and convening a federal grand jury in the district of North Texas. From what I understand, crimes committed in the air - like aboard Air Force One - are considered federal crimes and brought to federal court, and therefor a federal grand jury could also have jurisdiction, though not for the Tippit murder (unless it was connected to a conspiracy to kill the President).

We can argue about the details forever, but we only have a short time for the still living witnesses to be properly deposed under oath (and in secret), and the new evidence properly evaluated to see if there is anyone living who can be indicted for a crime related to the murder of Officer Tippit or the President.

Other books with solid evidence and new witness testimony have forced the law to act, when otherwise it wouldn't, and perhaps, just maybe Joe McBride's book could kick in that legal mechanism that needs a jump start to get the wheels of justice to begin moving.

Bill Kelly