The Education Forum

SantoTrifficante sets up "Game of the Century"

Why didn't this writer tell about all of us "conspiracy-minded" NUTS having a UFO in the back yard for good measure! He clearly implies that the throwing of this tennis match is very believable, but in no uncertain terms ("everything is connected") could there have been someone pulling the strings in the murder of our president!

Hal Shaw, an assistant golf pro at Tampa's Palma Ceia Golf & Country Club, recently told ESPN's "Outside the Lines" that he heard several notable Mafia figures, including Santo Trafficante Jr. and Carlos Marcello, discussing how Bobby Riggs would throw the match in order to pay off more than $100,000 in gambling debts. (For the conspiracy-minded: Marcello later claimed he had ordered John F. Kennedy's assassination. Everything is connected!)

Edited by Terry Adams

Guest Robert Morrow

Bobby Riggs throwing his tennis match to Billie Jean King is a blockbuster story

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/9589625/the-match-maker

I came from a "tennis family" and my parents absolutely were focused on this match as we watched it when I was a kid in 1973.

Based on what is in that story, I can completely believe the mafia and Bobby Riggs conspired to throw the match to Billie Jean King.

Robert, thanks for your response. What I was attempting to show was how the media would accept this "fixed" match as probable, but, instantly, say that it would only be conspiracy theorists that could believe that someone would set up the killing of a president. It is even the very same names. Also, it is not "stuff of legends' that Trifficante told several people, including his own family that he was involved in the assassination. This may seem menial to some, and others may say that it does not belong on this particular forum. When I saw the names of the people involved, I immediately felt it was fitting to bring it up for discussion. I certainly want the moderators to move it elsewhere, or even discard it if they feel it has not merit.

Edited by Terry Adams

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a few years since I've posted, but started lurking around again.

Whether the Mafia would fix the match if or course obvious- yes they would. It's their MO. However did Mr. Shaw see Santo Jr., Marcello, and Ragano at the Palma Ceia in late 72, early 73? Not likely.

Marcello often came to Tampa (and Trafficante to New Orleans) to discuss business, but late 72, early 73 is problematic for Trafficante. As I detail in a recent piece I wrote:

"The information on Trafficante during that time period is more detailed. According to an internal FBI memo dated September 12, 1975, “Trafficante left his Miami residence in late 1972 and not again physically observed in the United States until late 1974. During this Period Trafficante travelled extensively in Europe, Venezuela, Panama, and Costa Rica.” Another FBI memo relates that “On October 17, 1973, MM T2 (a confidential informant) advised that Santo Trafficante was residing in Catania, Italy, which is on the island of Sicily. According to the source, Trafficante has been residing there for approximately six months.” There are no memos or internal FBI documents that show Trafficante in Tampa at that time. Tampa PD and Sheriff’s department records from that time period have mostly been purged, so little record remains of local law enforcement surveillance."

Also why didn't Ragano share this story in Mob Lawyer? His co-author Selwyn Raab never heard it, nor did another close friend Nicholas Pileggi. And Ragano's son, who had many secrets to share during my research on Trafficante,is equally dubious.

We'll never know or sure, but I'd like more evidence before laying the fix at Trafficante's feet. And trust me, having him be the fixer would be great for book sales!

Scott,

Great to see you here posting on this interesting topic.

Your many articles and books Cigar City Mafia and The Silent Don about Trafficante and the Florida mob scene are great.

I hope you'll comment here or on other important Ed Forum threads discussing Santos' alleged involvement with or comments regarding JFK's murder, his dangerous associate Eladio de Valle, and the Tampa attempt kill JFK on November 18, 1963.

Did Santos deal with any particular government operative that you know of?

Cheers,

Steve

Scott,

Great to see you here posting on this interesting topic.

Your many articles and books Cigar City Mafia and The Silent Don about Trafficante and the Florida mob scene are great.

I hope you'll comment here or on other important Ed Forum threads discussing Santos' alleged involvement with or comments regarding JFK's murder, his dangerous associate Eladio de Valle, and the Tampa attempt kill JFK on November 18, 1963.

Did Santos deal with any particular government operative that you know of?

Cheers,

Steve

Thank you!

I posted often while researching the Silent DOn, but haven't been around much in the past few years. But I'll go back and look through some threads to see where I can add some value.