The Education Forum

Some pictures of Tosh

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wim,

In gallery 5, there is a photo of this man below. In answer to the questions posed, his name is Jose Rodriguez Perez and he was killed in April of 1970.

As to the other guy, could that be Vicente Mendez also killed in 1970? The exact date escapes me for now.

Am I right?

James

Edited by James Richards

Wim,

In gallery 5, there is a photo of this man below. In answer to the questions posed, his name is Jose Rodriguez Perez and he was killed in April of 1970.

As to the other guy, could that be Vicente Mendez also killed in 1970? The exact date escapes me for now.

Am I right?

James

Yes. To my knowledge it is Perez. ( sometime called Rodriquez) I did not know when he was killed. Thanks.

The other one (Mendez) I had not known about until a few years after 1966 and was told he was a friend of Odio's father who was in a Havana prison about 1963, or so, I think. That information came to me through the FBI and referenced that he (mendez) was previous BoP vet and earlier Gun-runner for the Cuban cause.

I did not know when he died or was killed.. Strange these two died the same year.... Thanks James for the information. Tosh

I did not know when he died or was killed.. Strange these two died the same year.... Thanks James for the information. (Tosh Plumlee)

Tosh,

Both men, Perez and Mendez, were killed while on missions for Alpha 66. It was a case of being sent into hostile territory unprepared; similar to Felipe Vidal Santiago in 1964 and Tony Cuesta in 1966. Mendez was wounded in an earlier mission during 1970 in the Escambrey Mountains. He returned to the US before heading back to Cuba only to be killed.

In the summer of 1963, Mendez was training exiles in an Everglades camp run by Eloy Gutierrez Menoyo. Herminio Diaz Garcia also spent some time at this camp.

This photo below shows Mendez in the center of frame. That is Herminio Diaz Garcia on the left partially hidden by the man in the cap.

James

I did not know when he died or was killed.. Strange these two died the same year....  Thanks James for the information.    (Tosh Plumlee)

Tosh,

Both men, Perez and Mendez, were killed while on missions for Alpha 66. It was a case of being sent into hostile territory unprepared; similar to Felipe Vidal Santiago in 1964 and Tony Cuesta in 1966. Mendez was wounded in an earlier mission during 1970 in the Escambrey Mountains. He returned to the US before heading back to Cuba only to be killed.

In the summer of 1963, Mendez was training exiles in an Everglades camp run by Eloy Gutierrez Menoyo. Herminio Diaz Garcia also spent some time at this camp.

This photo below shows Mendez in the center of frame. That is Herminio Diaz Garcia on the left partially hidden by the man in the cap.

James

Thanks James. Very informative. I knew they were still doing missions as late as 1968-69. I had gone to the site in the Everglades about 1967, and another one in 1991, but not as an operative. I knew Alpha 66 was still very active. I think Narzario Sergen was "Military plans director" about that time, I think, but not sure. The place I went to in the Everglades was called by some..., "The Farm". Anything on that stagging area or trainning site will be appreciated. If I remember, there was a Communications site not far away.. Thanks again for the memory jog..., Tosh

Thanks James. Very informative. I knew they were still doing missions as late as 1968-69. I had gone to the site in the Everglades about 1967, and another one in 1991, but not as an operative. I knew Alpha 66 was still very active. I think Narzario Sergen was "Military plans director" about that time, I think, but not sure. The place I went to in the Everglades was called by some..., "The Farm". Anything on that stagging area or trainning site will be appreciated. If I remember, there was a Communications site not far away.. Thanks again for the memory jog..., (Tosh Plumlee)

Tosh,

I don't have a lot on the Everglades camp except that Menoyo was running it after a huge injection of cash. In mid 1963 it seemed to be under the direction of Alpha 66 but I believe that was very short term. I know Menoyo knows a lot more about the assassination than he has let on. After his long prison term, he went back to Cuba and he and Castro became chummy for the cameras. A few years ago, I sent Menoyo several letters but he has yet to reply.

You are correct about Sargen as Military Plans Director. BTW, below is a shot of Sargen (on the right). Any ideas who the guy on the left is?

James

Edited by James Richards

Thanks James.  Very informative.  I knew they were still doing missions as late as 1968-69. I had gone to the site in the Everglades about 1967, and another one in 1991, but not as an operative.  I knew Alpha 66 was still very active.  I think Narzario Sergen was "Military plans director" about that time, I think, but not sure.  The place I went to in the Everglades was called by some..., "The Farm". Anything on that stagging area or trainning site will be appreciated.  If I remember, there was a Communications site not far away..  Thanks again for the memory jog...,  (Tosh Plumlee)

Tosh,

I don't have a lot on the Everglades camp except that Menoyo was running it after a huge injection of cash. In mid 1963 it seemed to be under the direction of Alpha 66 but I believe that was very short term. I know Menoyo knows a lot more about the assassination than he has let on. After his long prison term, he went back to Cuba and he and Castro became chummy for the cameras. A few years ago, I sent Menoyo several letters but he has yet to reply.

You are correct about Sargen as Military Plans Director. BTW, below is a shot of Sargen (on the right). Any ideas who the guy on the left is?

James

Off hand, No. But, I am not sure. I have seen this person before. In fact I think I have met him at the Old A-66 HQ in Little Havana before they moved to their new HQ. That would have been around 1970 or so..,( the old HQ) perhaps 72. Looks like a person who hung around 'Sloppy Joes" and Bay Front Park about 1962. I think the picture was from around 1970. Do you know who he is. Again, Thanks a lot for the information.. It helps me get focused.

( To little girls at the Photogaphers: "...Be Still Lieza... He gonna Focus" The other little girl asked, "Bowfus Us?") I'm sick. A long day, forgive. Tosh

Looks like a person who hung around 'Sloppy Joes" and Bay Front Park about 1962. I think the picture was from around 1970. Do you know who he is. (Tosh Plumlee)

Tosh,

I have no idea who he is. He pops up in another photo with Alpha 66 heavyweight Diego Medina and I believe he bears a strong similarity to Oswald associate Celso Hernandez.

James

Thanks James.  Very informative.  I knew they were still doing missions as late as 1968-69. I had gone to the site in the Everglades about 1967, and another one in 1991, but not as an operative.  I knew Alpha 66 was still very active.  I think Narzario Sergen was "Military plans director" about that time, I think, but not sure.  The place I went to in the Everglades was called by some..., "The Farm". Anything on that stagging area or trainning site will be appreciated.  If I remember, there was a Communications site not far away..  Thanks again for the memory jog...,  (Tosh Plumlee)

Tosh,

James

Is the man on the left Virgillio Gonzalez Or one of the hands Enrico (?) Martiniz who worked on the Radier ship "Rex"? digging into memories. Tosh

Looks like a person who hung around 'Sloppy Joes" and Bay Front Park about 1962.  I think the picture was from around 1970.  Do you know who he is.  (Tosh Plumlee)

Tosh,

I have no idea who he is. He pops up in another photo with Alpha 66 heavyweight Diego Medina and I believe he bears a strong similarity to Oswald associate Celso Hernandez.

James

Would that be the Hernandez of the Dallas Oak Cliff Cubans who had the safe house on Zangs Blvd and Harlendale Streets? The gun-running Hernandez, also known as Cecil Farnandez?