The Education Forum

Marquette U. Suspends John McAdams, Orders Him Off-Campus

Pamela

The really sad thing is that while McAdams is on a paid holiday, and banned from campus, he'll have even MORE time to spread his poisoned lies on the Internet.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. Just the same, with such a public hand-slapping might also come some unmasking of McAdams' innate viciousness and hidden agendas...we can only hope...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strikes me skins are pretty thin at Marquette. Either that, or Marquette is not a place for minority views.

McAdams has had his run of MU for a long time. Attempting to post on aaj and get CT positions across was akin to a Mad Hatter's Tea Party. MU has harbored this negative and bullying influence and protected McAdams' rights at the expense of those of serious researchers. They seemed definitely comfortable with looking the other way when researchers complained to the provosts about his tactics. In fact, McAdams even bragged that the complaints had no effect on his standing. Perhaps this was just the last straw...if so, I am pleased to have been a part of it, as I complained myself on at least two occasions.

Edited by Pamela Brown

I looked at a website in which students rate their teachers, and most of the students, even the liberals, gave McAdams high marks. At least one of the students, however, claimed McAdams would give students lower grades if they didn't share his political agenda.

While reading about this latest controversy, I saw that McAdams has raised eyebrows in the past with some of his comments about date rape; essentially he said that if you got drunk and didn't remember what happened, and didn't feel violated when you woke up, you had probably agreed to whatever happened, and weren't raped. While this makes sense on the surface, it's more than a bit insensitive to those who only later come to believe they've been raped.

I wouldn't be surprised if this latest controversy spins into a thorough investigation of McAdams' views and behavior, and leads to his losing his job. If this happens, however, it won't be the last of him, as he will in turn gain his dream role as a right-wing martyr to "liberal bias" and "political correctness," and a job as a pundit.

Call me stupid but, this is a Catholic University, the Roman Catholic Church is openly against gay marriage, and McAdams was suspended for criticizing a professor defending gay marriage.

A wink and a nod and this whole thing will be swept under the carpet in time for classes to begin in 2015.

Who is this guy alias "E. Snowden" who has an open letter against McAdams ostensibly from JFK researchers?

Why can't he sign his true name?

Who is he?

And why does he want to represent everyone but his real self?

Who would sign an open letter the author himself won't sign with his real name?

Posner and McAdams can embarrass themselves without any help from us.

Bill Kelly

Edited by William Kelly

Sometimes, when you're a manager and you want to get rid of dead weight, any excuse will do, Len.

Based on Pat's post he was well evaluated by his students. If Arthur Butz and "Jihad Jane" Christansen are/were protected by academic freedom so should McAdams.

I listened to Jim DiEugenio & Len Osanic's take on the situation last night & found it quite interesting here (at the top of the listings):

http://blackopradio.com/archives2014.html

Big Jim believes McAdams should have consulted the Dean of the Ethics department before posting to the blog in question. Both researchers predict bigger, better things are in store for big John should Marquette boot him out for good (such as a possible permanent spot on Fox news). Neither come across as your typical McAdams cheerleaders or groupies (lol), although I do believe McAdams was treated much more fairly than he is known for treating others on the Internet. Len Osanic gives me the impression the 'gun' McAdams used to shoot himself in the foot wasn't large enough (lol).

It's a thought provoking , free & downloadable listen for those who don't want to listen to it online at the website.

BM

Edited by Brad Milch

I listened to Jim DiEugenio & Len Osanic's take on the situation last night & found it quite interesting here (at the top of the listings):

Big Jim believes McAdams should have consulted the Dean of the Ethics department before posting to the blog in question...

What he should have cleared his blog post with the head of a department he never worked for? Why does academic freedom apply to Ward Churchill, Butz and Jihad Jane but not McAdams?

Big Jim believes McAdams should have consulted the Dean of the Ethics department before posting to the blog in question...

What he should have cleared his blog post with the head of a department he never worked for? Why does academic freedom apply to Ward Churchill, Butz and Jihad Jane but not McAdams?

I dont think he should have been suspended. I do think that marriage is a ethics issue and should be discussed. I agree he need not have cleared anything. On JFK he has promoted inaccurate matters.

@ Len & Steven:

I'm guessing here but I believe DiEugenio was suggesting CYA for McAdams. Had McAdams gotten the OK from the Dean of the Ethics Department before posting to the blog, he might not been suspended (or at least have some company during the holidays). Like others, I am curious as to what the internal 'investigation' brings about. Every story has two sides.

BM

More silliness from DiEugenio.

Plots; CIA agents everywhere you look; hidden "agendas" around every corner.

Paranoia at its finest....

jfk-archives / dvp-vs-dieugenio-part-96

--------------

yep, and you're at the head of the list.... carry on, son!

Edited by David G. Healy