The Education Forum

David Talbot: Allen Dulles, CIA and Rise of America's Secret Government

George Clooney also wanted to do something on Snowden.

But he didn't think the story lent itself to a dramatic film.

But from what I can see, Stone has turned it into a bio pic going all the way back to Snowden's service time.

But I don't think Clooney is going to give up. So we will probably have dueling films.

I thought Argo was pretty good, and for once the best film actually won. Maybe that wetted George's appetite.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Talbot wrote on Facebook today: Rush Limbaugh apparently went off on "The Devil's Chessboard" on his radio show today. I'll return the favor this evening when I speak at The Peace Center in Los Angeles at 7:30 pm. I'll have a few things to say about Limbaugh and the rest of the soft-assed armchair generals who constantly bray for more blood -- but of course never shed their own.

http://www.kpfk.org/index.php/eventcal/icalrepeat.detail/2015/11/17/2288/-/kpfk-presents-author-david-talbot-talk-and-book-signing-at-the-peace-center-in-culver-city?filter_reset=1#.VkuMOP9dE5u

One Facebook member commented on David's posting as follows: I just happened to be listening in my car (one-station radio) a few weeks ago when Rush was talking about Lee Harvey Oswald and the Kennedy assassination. It's hard to believe Mr. Limbodomy actually believes the lone nut theory, but he sure railed against anyone who did not..... Why is it that no reporter ever asks presidential candidates what they think of perhaps the most important political event or our lifetimes?

Edited by Douglas Caddy

David Talbot wrote on Facebook today: Rush Limbaugh apparently went off on "The Devil's Chessboard" on his radio show today. I'll return the favor this evening when I speak at The Peace Center in Los Angeles at 7:30 pm. I'll have a few things to say about Limbaugh and the rest of the soft-assed armchair generals who constantly bray for more blood -- but of course never shed their own.

http://www.kpfk.org/index.php/eventcal/icalrepeat.detail/2015/11/17/2288/-/kpfk-presents-author-david-talbot-talk-and-book-signing-at-the-peace-center-in-culver-city?filter_reset=1#.VkuMOP9dE5u

One Facebook member commented on David's posting as follows: I just happened to be listening in my car (one-station radio) a few weeks ago when Rush was talking about Lee Harvey Oswald and the Kennedy assassination. It's hard to believe Mr. Limbodomy actually believes the lone nut theory, but he sure railed against anyone who did not..... Why is it that no reporter ever asks presidential candidates what they think of perhaps the most important political event or our lifetimes?

which war did you shed blood in ? Do you expect your response to be as widely heard as Limbaugh's was?

Talbot was good tonight.

The place was packed.

Literally standing room only.

His book went to number seven on LA Times bestseller list.

David Talbot wrote on Facebook today:

OK, six weeks after publication of "The Devil's Chessboard," I think it's finally time to ask direct questions about the corporate media blackout of my book. Specifically, why hasn't the New York Times reviewed a major new revisionist history of the CIA by a bestselling author whose three previous books have been reviewed in the Times? A book that before publication received a rave, starred review in Kirkus Reviews (the book industry publication that signals a book's importance to critics, booksellers, etc) and was named a book of the month by Amazon, New York magazine and other key indicators for the publishing world. A book that has received major attention in such publications as The Daily Beast, The Intercept, Mother Jones and Salon for the new information and insights it provides into the CIA reign of Allen Dulles. A book that has hit the NY Times bestseller list...as well as the LA Times and San Francisco Chronicle lists.

Is the blackout by the NY Times related to my book's exposure of the newspaper's long, disgraceful complicity with the CIA? As I relate in my book, New York Times publishers and editors had a cozy relationship with the spy agency under Dulles -- among other things, shamefully supporting the CIA coups in Iran, Guatemala and Congo, as well as promoting the CIA line on the Warren Report. Dulles's personal papers at Princeton include many fawning letters between NY Times overseers (as well as other media bigwigs) and the spymaster --whom one Times executive referred to as "Allie" in his letters.

Btw, the media blackout of my book also extends to the Washington Post and Time magazine -- two publications which also have prominently covered my previous books, and also have a long history of collaboration with the CIA.

So...if you're wondering why the New York Times is giving "The Devil's Chessboard" the silent treatment, please join me in writing NY Times Book Review editor Pamela Paul (paul@nytimes.com) and the newspaper's public watchdog (public@nytimes.com)and asking for an explanation.

Of course, if the Times finally DOES review the book, it will no doubt attack it. But at least that predictably negative response would be gutsier than its cowardly decision to pretend the book doesn't exist.

George Clooney also wanted to do something on Snowden.

But he didn't think the story lent itself to a dramatic film.

But from what I can see, Stone has turned it into a bio pic going all the way back to Snowden's service time.

But I don't think Clooney is going to give up. So we will probably have dueling films.

I thought Argo was pretty good, and for once the best film actually won. Maybe that wetted George's appetite.

If it came down to dueling films, should we prepare for at least one of the films to be a bit more "dramatic" than the other? Fiction even. I can see Clooney wanting Matt Damon to play Snowden, and the chase is on. Stone may nail it, hopefully, it won't be like a Nixon movie where he injects deep throat, then it would end up to be more fiction than non.

Isn't that just a little interesting, especially when Ed Kaiser had Hunt's and Frank's photos. Why would my father have photos of them if those photos may have pertained to Watergate? Especially, since my father was in on the first break-in, he would have only been implicating himself. How stupid is that? And, if Hunt was there, in Dallas with Frank. I try very hard to keep an open mind about this simply because there's no ignoring the facts.

I believe their only involvement was to deliver weapons and cash. Pippin already knows how I feel about what was discovered in my father's address book after calling him and telling him about Eugenio, and Dallas under his name, he says he couldn't tell me anything, and wouldn't know. But, I do know that Comando L also worked closely with DRE and RECE, and it was DRE who assisted in setting up Oswald.

Eugenio came to this country in 1960 and in 63 he may have been 18 at the time, does that make him to young to pull the trigger?

Edited by Scott Kaiser

Pippin thinks that Castro was behind the JFK assassination. Who do you think was behind it? You have stated who the shooters were, but I don't recall more than that. Did your father express an opinion on who was behind it?

Edited by Paul Brancato