The Education Forum

Officer Marrion Baker's mad dash for the.... Dal-Tex building?

5 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

Three different witnesses saw Officer Baker running up the steps that fit what is seen on the Wiegman, Couch, and Darnell films. They were Pauline Sanders - Roy Truly - Billy Lovelady. I have to go with the three witnesses and three films vs a theory that all three eye-witnesses conspired to lie about what they saw immediately following the shooting.

Truly sees Baker running.jpg

Roy Truly is the guy who's facing left, under your left arrow, in the background

--  Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Robert Prudhomme said:

Have you read Billy Lovelady's testimony to the Warren Commission?

I have posted that I bought two sets of the 26 Volumes and read them from beginning to end over a period of about 3 years. So yes that would mean I have read Lovelady's WC testimony.  Lovelady said that after he moved away from the steps that he looked back and saw Officer Baker and Roy trailer heading into the TSBD.

Mr. BALL - By the time you left the steps had Mr. Truly entered the building?
Mr. LOVELADY - As we left the steps I would say we were at least 15. maybe 25. steps away from the building. I looked back and I saw him and the policeman running into the building.

FBI summary of their interview with Pauline Sanders says, " She said within a matter of ten seconds a uniform police officer in a white helmet ran into the building but she did not observe him any further and could not state where he went in the building. "

Mr. TRULY. I heard a policeman in this area along here make a remark, "Oh, goddam," or something like that. I just remember that. It wasn't a motorcycle policeman. It was one of the Dallas policeman, I think-- words to that effect.
I wouldn't know him. I just remember there was a policeman standing along in this area about 7, 8, or 10 feet from me.
But as I came back here, and everybody. was screaming and hollering, just moments later - I saw a young motorcycle policeman run up to the building, up the steps to the entrance of our building. He ran right by me. And he was pushing people out of the way. He pushed a number of people out of the way before he got to me. I saw him coming through, I believe. As he ran up the stairway--I mean up the steps, I was almost to the steps, I ran up and caught up with him. I believe I caught up with him inside the lobby of the building, or possibly the front steps. I don't remember that close. But I remember it occurred to me that this man wants on top of the building. He doesn't know the plan of the floor. And-that is-that just pepped in my mind, and I ran in with him. As we got in the lobby, almost on the inside of the first floor, this policeman asked me where the stairway is. And I said, "This way". And I ran diagonally across to the northwest corner of the building.

The Darnell film appears to show Baker running past Roy Truly

Edited by Bill Miller

8 hours ago, Thomas Graves said:

Roy Truly is the guy who's facing left, under your left arrow, in the background

--  Tommy :sun

Thank you for correcting me, Thomas. I had recently seen where someone referenced Truly in a Darnell frame as the man on the right of the frame and I accepted it without checking it further. Baker did testify that he had left the spot out in the intersection and went back and this was when he saw a patrolman running past him and up the steps where Roy said he gave chase and caught up with the officer.

Mr. TRULY. I heard a policeman in this area along here make a remark, "Oh, goddam," or something like that. I just remember that. It wasn't a motorcycle policeman. It was one of the Dallas policeman, I think-- words to that effect.
I wouldn't know him. I just remember there was a policeman standing along in this area about 7, 8, or 10 feet from me.

But as I came back here, and everybody. was screaming and hollering, just moments later - I saw a young motorcycle policeman run up to the building, up the steps to the entrance of our building. He ran right by me. And he was pushing people out of the way. He pushed a number of people out of the way before he got to me. I saw him coming through, I believe. As he ran up the stairway--I mean up the steps, I was almost to the steps, I ran up and caught up with him. I believe I caught up with him inside the lobby of the building, or possibly the front steps. I don't remember that close. But I remember it occurred to me that this man wants on top of the building. He doesn't know the plan of the floor. And-that is-that just pepped in my mind, and I ran in with him. As we got in the lobby, almost on the inside of the first floor, this policeman asked me where the stairway is. And I said, "This way". And I ran diagonally across to the northwest corner of the building.

Darnell_normal_Image4~4.jpg

Edited by Bill Miller

As I told you in another thread, Bill, it's a shame you never read the entirety of Billy Lovelady's testimony to the Warren Commission. Or. perhaps you did read it, and found it so disagreeable, you struck it from your memory.

According to Lovelady's testimony, he and Bill Shelley would have still been on the steps of the TSBD at the time Baker was allegedly running up those steps, and would continue to be there for 1-2 minutes after Truly and Baker entered the TSBD.

Still want Lovelady for a Baker-early-entry-into-the-TSBD witness?

PS

It's one thing to read the WCR but, if one lacks comprehension skills, it is a wasted exercise.

5 hours ago, Robert Prudhomme said:

As I told you in another thread, Bill, it's a shame you never read the entirety of Billy Lovelady's testimony to the Warren Commission. Or. perhaps you did read it, and found it so disagreeable, you struck it from your memory.

According to Lovelady's testimony, he and Bill Shelley would have still been on the steps of the TSBD at the time Baker was allegedly running up those steps, and would continue to be there for 1-2 minutes after Truly and Baker entered the TSBD.

I cannot help but notice that you don't paste the text that you are citing - you should in case you have discovered a different Warren Commission testimony than I have read.

Both Lovelady and Shelly said they left the steps and went to the area across the side street in front of the steps near the stoplight to what Billy called an "island" and Shelly called an "island" in a couple of references and a "divider" in another.  They are in the crowd somewhere near the light when they saw the white helmet wearing patrolman running towards the TSBD.  When you have the chance, perhaps you will take time to refresh your memory.

Below is taken from Lovelady's and Shelly's statements to the Warren Commission that I have read ....

Mr. BALL - When Gloria came up and said the President had been shot, Gloria Calvary, what did you do?
Mr. LOVELADY - Well, I asked who told her. She said he had been shot so we asked her was she for certain or just had she seen the shot hit him or--she said yes, she had been right close to it to see and she had saw the blood and knew he had been hit but didn't know how serious it was and so the crowd had started towards the railroad tracks back, you know, behind our building there and
we run towards that little, old island and kind of down there in that little street.

Mr. SHELLEY - Gloria Calvary from South-Western Publishing Co. ran back up there crying and said "The President has been shot" and Billy Lovelady and myself took off across the street to that little, old island and we stopped there for a minute.
Mr. BALL - Across the street, you mean directly south?
Mr. SHELLEY - Yes, slightly to the right, you know where the light is there?
Mr. BALL - Yes.

Mr. SHELLEY - That little, old side street runs in front of our building and Elm Street.

Mr. BALL - Did you see Truly, Mr. Truly and an officer go into the building?
Mr. SHELLEY - Yeah, we saw them right at the front of the building while we were on the island

Mr. SHELLEY - We ran out on the island while some of the people that were out watching it from our building were walking back and we turned around and we saw an officer and Truly.
Mr. BALL - And Truly?
Mr. SHELLEY - Yes.
Mr. BALL - Did you see them go into the building?
MMr. SHELLEY - No; we didn't watch that long but they were at the first step like they were fixin' to go in.
Mr. BALL - Were they moving at the time, walking or running?
Mr. SHELLEY - Well, they were moving, yes.

Mr. BALL - There was still some time lapse from the time you heard the noise like a firecracker and she came up?
Mr. SHELLEY - Yes.
Mr. BALL - Then you went out across Elm?
Mr. SHELLEY - Yes, to the divider.
Mr. BALL - Between the two Elm Streets?
Mr. SHELLEY - Yes.