The Education Forum

Lancer Archive Restoration

For what its worth, I actually liked the tree structure at Lancer Forum.

That way you could pick and choose which comments you wanted to read based upon the subject matter and the identity of the poster.

I thought it was unique and helpful.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what its worth, I actually liked the tree structure at Lancer Forum.

That way you could pick and choose which comments you wanted to read based upon the subject matter and the identity of the poster.

I thought it was unique and helpful.

I think it's a nice feature to offer BOTH kinds of viewing options at a forum (the "linear" and the "threaded" or "tree" type). But if a "tree" option is offered, then the straight linear option needs to be there too, IMO. Because with the linear choice, you can always simply go straight to the bottom of the last "page" and find the newest posts since your last forum visit. The newest stuff (not counting posts that have been edited, of course) will always be at the bottom, and not scattered all over the place, as they are via the "tree/threaded" mode.

Another really nice feature for forum owners is the feature that Amazon.com uses on all of its forum and "customer discussions" --- and that is to have an anchor link that will take each individual viewer directly to the most recent post(s) within that forum since that viewer last visited the forum. I utilize that "Since Last Visit" feature every day (example photo below; and if you can try to ignore the idiotic conspiracy ramblings of "Heisenberg" [aka Willy Whitten] within this example provided, it might be good for your health).

It seems to me (IIRC) that the old Lancer forum did have a similar "Since Your Last Visit" feature implemented on its forum.

Hey, Brad Milch, you seem to have a good memory of the old Lancer layout --- do you recall such a feature being there at Lancer years ago? I think there was.

Amazon-Forum-Example.png

jfk-archives.blogspot.com/2016/09/jfk-assassination-arguments-part-1179.html

Edited by David Von Pein

@David Von Pein:

I vaguely recall such a feature at the original Lancer Forum. I believe I accidentally stumbled upon it one visit while searching for old threads. It was a nice feature that took me (as a lurker) directly to the last post of a particular topic, where I could work up to where I left off quickly, as I recall.

@James Gordon:

I haven't forgotten you. In between moving, I'm screening what I saved back in Lancer's glory day. Some of it is a mess. Evidently, I would save discussion from several JFK Forums in some Word Documents while other documents were dedicated solely to Lancer posts. For example: the 'phantom railroad detective' topic might have comments from Lancer, Deep Politics Forum, alt jfk, JFK Facts, Dale Meyers & any other JFK website I may have bumped into at the time. It will take me time to weed out the non-Lancer stuff. Please be patient with me. If I had known hacking was occurring to Lancer, I would have saved stuff much differently.

For lack of a better description, what I have in my online JFK files resembles Christopher Columbus returning to Spain & presenting Queen Isabella not with neat, organized bundles of goodies that Chris & his boys took from the inhabitants (by executing most of them) of each stop he made on the 1st of his voyages; instead Isabella would be looking at one big heap of stuff jumbled together; a mountain of gold, mixed with exotic birds, fruits, trinkets, foods, soil samples, etc.. In Columbus' case, he had a good excuse: Chris & the fellows had been smoking the ship's hemp ropes & were buzzing around the ocean hopelessly lost. In my case, my excuse is that I didn't know Lancer was destined to be a hacking victim. It may be less time consuming for James Gordon to go with the Wayback material supplied by David Von Pein & leave my stuff for last. Also, there is bound to be others that saved discussions from Lancer besides me that may have saved them as complete HTML files (something I didn't know how to save at the time). That would be superior material to work with imho.

I didn't save things exactly as they appeared on Lancer; I would save discussions according to its main topic in Word Documents & place them in a folder from the year I saved each topic Word Document; I didn't save according to website source. Any particular thread might have a different title than what I saved the content as I titled it. Also, when the discussions deviated off topic, I sometimes placed the deviations in different Word Documents than the one I started with. For example, if Bill Miller was talking about the Z-film & responders started talking about something else, sometimes the 'something else' would be saved in a different Word Document than the one I titled 'Z-Film research'. At other times, I'd catch the thread just as I saw & read it. In between commenters would be their names & the date their comments/thread photos were posted. My JFK online files go back into the mid 1990's, so I started screening before I upload to Google drive (for James) at year 2010 because I thought April of 2010 was when the website was originally hacked (the Lancer blog entries that are viewable online end after the 1st week of April 2010). From Jerry Dealey's comments above, it appears the hackers stayed at it all the way into 2013. He would know if the Lancer blog was active after April, 2010.

I can't help but wonder how many other Lancer visitors saw the original Lancer Forum while it was under cyber attack & mistakenly thought the website was being re-organized 'behind the scenes' & that's what all the thread movements & deletions was all about. IOW, the appearance of normal internal website construction. I wish I had suspected foul play was taking place & had taken screen grabs of the changes before the server error message became a permanent view of the murdered forum (to help James & his cyber wizards put Humpty (Lancer) back together & back up on the wall again).

I'll never forget the mess I saw online at Lancer. It must be a supreme challenge for James Gordon & his team to attempt to fix the damage. Several friends have told me privately that James Gordon & his aides should consider making a memorial page showing the visible damage done to the Lancer Forum (something along the lines of the Oklahoma City bombing memorial, where pieces of the original Murray building are built into the entire memorial) to demonstrate the difference before & after the cyber attack. This would serve as a constant reminder that Lancer represented free speech & that free speech was attacked & rendered silent to a global public by unknown & unpunished hackers.

Although not much info about the attack is available online at the moment (other than the discussions in this thread), much discussion is taking place in classrooms globally, particularly by those who look upon the attack on Lancer as visible proof that a corrupt entity (that many feel exists somewhere in the USA & elsewhere in the world) was determined to have the final say on the death of JFK, employing the same method used to rob JFK of his life & Presidency 53 years ago: violence.

It's just a matter of time before what happened to Lancer is added to the growing list of abuses hurled against those that don't support the official Government explanations of what happened to JFK 53 years ago & who was responsible. The hacking of Lancer is as significant as the Nazi burning of books in Hitler's day. I find Jerry Dealey's experience before, during & after the continuous cyber attack particularly intriguing; Mr. Dealey was not only in the line of fire, he was a target too. Jerry should be the one primarily sought after by interviewers. He was the poor soul catching the fire directed at Lancer. Esteemed JFK interviewers that come to my mind immediately include Len Osanic, Jefferson Morley & Brent Holland.

There is nothing I know of preventing the Sixth Floor Museum from interviewing Jerry Dealey for the museum's online oral history collection (posted at YouTube); JFK Lancer Forum was often used as an online message board to display messages (relayed from intermediaries) from the Museum's then curator, the late Gary Mack (Larry Dunkle). The Museum was very aware of JFK Lancer's existence & demise.

The cyber attacks against the original Lancer Forum were no way to treat a fine lady (Debra Conway), her dedicated moderators, author Larry Hancock, an interested global public & Debra's many members & visitors that invested a good chunk of their lives & souls into making Lancer THE JFK forum to visit on a regular basis at the time it existed, untarnished, online. In many ways, the ambush & death of Lancer resembles the ambush & death of JFK. The questions after both attacks are identical: who did it & why?

Brad Milch

Edited by Brad Milch

"I find Jerry Dealey's experience before, during & after the continuous cyber attack particularly intriguing; Mr. Dealey was not only in the line of fire, he was a target too. Jerry should be the one primarily sought after by interviewers. He was the poor soul catching the fire directed at Lancer."

Brad (and David below),

It wasn't too bad. Deb was having health issues, so I was happy to take that off of her back for a few years.

Mostly, it was the people that Deb got tired of, and told me to Ban that caused most of the trouble. Of course, we don't know for sure who hacked the site, so it may have been some nefarious pro-LN group. However, if the hacker was using the name Dealey, it sounds more like one of those who I had to Ban trying to get me in trouble, as well.

Yes, I have attended all of the Lancer conferences, and Deb often sent authors, producers and others my way for interviews. Usually about the status of the "Research Community" at large, and often just for my Dallas/Dealey Plaza expertise.

David,

Quote: "It seems to me (IIRC) that the old Lancer forum did have a similar "Since Your Last Visit" feature implemented on its forum.

Hey, Brad Milch, you seem to have a good memory of the old Lancer layout --- do you recall such a feature being there at Lancer years ago? I think there was.
"

It has been a while, but I think on the main inbound page, there was an option close to the "mode" selection that let you see "new posts/comments". It would list them in sequence, who made them, and what Topic they were part of. That way you could see quickly what New material in the topics you were interested it, and who posted them.

But....then again....it has been a while since I have seen the system..... LOL

Respectfully,

Jerry Dealey

Edited by Jerry Dealey

Guys,

As far as the timing of the Hack, I did a search and found where I posted the 1st Hack here on the Education Forum (I though I had), which was in August of 2013. As discussed by Larry, the 1st hack was fixed by Deb. The 2nd Hack came a few weeks later.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=20377

Always a shame that we lost almost 14 years of debate/discussion....

Respectfully,

Jerry Dealey

• 5 weeks later...