The Education Forum

Two Dallas cops were involved in the pre-arranged murder of Tippit...

5 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

You see the number 94 at the bottom of the report you included?

That's page 94 of CD 81b, or page 404 of CD 81 (somewhere along the way, the exact page numbering got mixed up a little).

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=10483#relPageId=404&tab=page

The report was written up by H.H. Stringer, a Sergeant in the Personnel Bureau under Captain Westbrook.

(Stringer's name was H.H. Stringer, not R.D. Stringer as Westbrook said in his WC testimony)

Thanks, Steve.

Is "H.H. Stringer" or, for that matter, "R.D. Stringer" different from Det. "L.D. Stringfellow" who wrote on 11/23/63 that LHO was "arrested in the balcony of the Texas Theater...."?

balcony2.gif

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Jim Hargrove said:

Thanks, Steve.

Is "H.H. Stringer" or, for that matter, "R.D. Stringer" different from Det. "L.D. Stringfellow" who wrote on 11/23/63 that LHO was "arrested in the balcony of the Texas Theater...."?

Jim,

Yes. L.D. Stringfellow was a Detective in the Special Service Bureau under Captain Gannaway. (see p. 4 of this pdf file)

H.H. Stringer was a Sergeant in the Personnel Bureau under Captain Westbrook (see p. 32 of this pdf file)

Batchelor Exhibit 5002

https://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh19/pdf/WH19_Batchelor_Ex_5002.pdf

Steve Thomas

7 hours ago, Jim Hargrove said:

Thanks, Steve.

Jim,

Just as a side note:

Stringfellow and Biggio were working the police radio at the Fairgrounds on 11/22/63

Army Apparently didn't tell Commission of Oswald's Alias”

Dallas Morning News March 19, 1978

in the Weisberg Collection

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/F%20Disk/FBI/FBI%20Records%20Release%2012-7-77%20News%20Accounts/Item%20069.pdf

However, (Bill) Biggio, who was directing police intelligence communications at the Fair Park office the day of the assassination...,” Former Dallas police Capt. W. P. Gannaway, who commanded the special service bureau in which Biggio worked, said if Army intelligence in San Antonio or Dallas "had any information pertaining to Oswald, we didn't know about it." “Don Stringfellow, a fellow police intelligence officer working with Biggio at the Fair Park office, was named as the source of information in a secret cable the night of Nov. 22 from Army intelligence in Texas to the U.S. Strike Command at MacDill Air Force Base in Florida. The cable said that information "obtained from Oswald revealed that he had defected to Cuba in 1959 and is a card-carrying member of the Communist Party." THIS CABLE, containing false information, was sent to an Army-Air Force operation set up three years earlier to provide a quick-reacting strike force in case of enemy attack. “

Steve Thomas

7 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Jim,

Just as a side note:

Stringfellow and Biggio were working the police radio at the Fairgrounds on 11/22/63

Army Apparently didn't tell Commission of Oswald's Alias”

Dallas Morning News March 19, 1978

in the Weisberg Collection

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/F%20Disk/FBI/FBI%20Records%20Release%2012-7-77%20News%20Accounts/Item%20069.pdf

However, (Bill) Biggio, who was directing police intelligence communications at the Fair Park office the day of the assassination...,” Former Dallas police Capt. W. P. Gannaway, who commanded the special service bureau in which Biggio worked, said if Army intelligence in San Antonio or Dallas "had any information pertaining to Oswald, we didn't know about it." “Don Stringfellow, a fellow police intelligence officer working with Biggio at the Fair Park office, was named as the source of information in a secret cable the night of Nov. 22 from Army intelligence in Texas to the U.S. Strike Command at MacDill Air Force Base in Florida. The cable said that information "obtained from Oswald revealed that he had defected to Cuba in 1959 and is a card-carrying member of the Communist Party." THIS CABLE, containing false information, was sent to an Army-Air Force operation set up three years earlier to provide a quick-reacting strike force in case of enemy attack. “

Steve Thomas

Police radio at the fairgrounds? I’ve long suspected that the continuity of government bunker under the fairgrounds was used by Dallas Police to communicate that day, but to see it in print plainly stated, with names of Dallas Detectives long rumored to be members of Jack Crichton’s Army Intelligence group? Why was Police Intelligence being run through US Army Reserve Cmmunucations bunker? And no mention of the 488th. I think the most suspicious thing by far is directing all of this towards Colonel Jones at the 112th. After all, Crichton was involved with the COG bunker from the get go, whereas Jones, as we discovered, was transferred from a post in Germany in 1963, and clearly lied to the WC about his position in the 112th. It all seems like misdirection. It’s the mysterious 488th that we should be looking at for ties between the DPD and Army Reserve. 

Edited by Paul Brancato

7 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Jim,

Yes. L.D. Stringfellow was a Detective in the Special Service Bureau under Captain Gannaway. (see p. 4 of this pdf file)

H.H. Stringer was a Sergeant in the Personnel Bureau under Captain Westbrook (see p. 32 of this pdf file)

Batchelor Exhibit 5002

https://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh19/pdf/WH19_Batchelor_Ex_5002.pdf

Steve Thomas

As we know - Hill claims it was R D Stringer who used his radio...

Mr. BELIN. Now, also turning to Sawyer Deposition Exhibit A, I notice that there is another call on car No. 550-2. Was that you at that time, or not, at 1:40 p.m.? 
Would that have been someone else? 
Mr. HILL. That probably is
R. D. Stringer. 
Mr. BELIN. That is not you, then, even though it has a number 550-2? 
Mr. HILL. Yes; because Stringer quite probably would have been using the same call number,

R.D. Stringer worked the 12 midnight to 8 am shift (see below) and probably would not have been called in prior to his shift...  as he had just recently gone home... he would/should report to work that night...

William B Frasier was the Capt of Police for that shift.. this suggests that he'd have also come to work at 11pm on the 22nd....

Mr. HUBERT. What time did you come on duty? Do you know? 
Mr. FRAZIER. At 11 p.m., on the 23d. I think that is what they call the first shift? 
Mr. HUBERT. First platoon. First platoon, rather, and that goes until roughly 7 in the morning? 

There is not a single report or radio transcript which includes anything from R D Stringer.... from the entire weekend.

======

img_1136_139_300.png

7 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

Why was Police Intelligence being run through US Army Reserve Cmmunucations bunker? 

'Cause most of the DPD Intelligence was associated with the US Army and FBI... and by using that bunker the US Military could listen in ??

:huh:

1 hour ago, David Josephs said:

As we know - Hill claims it was R D Stringer who used his radio...

R.D. Stringer worked the 12 midnight to 8 am shift (see below) and probably would not have been called in prior to his shift...  as he had just recently gone home... he would/should report to work that night...

David,

Thanks for the tip about R.D. Stringer in the Patrol Division.

In his WC testimony, Westbrook talks about Stringer as being "my Sergeant", said, " so I sent the men that were in my office, which were then Sergeants Stringer and Carver, and possibly Joe Fields and McGee",

and since the H.H. Stringer who signed the Report that Jim Hargrove provided signed his name as being H.H. Stringer, Sergeant in the Personnel Bureau, it's odd that the people involved would mix him up with a Patrolman in the Patrol Division.

Do you think they might have been brothers?

Steve Thomas

On 11/16/2018 at 9:43 AM, Paul Brancato said:

Police radio at the fairgrounds? I’ve long suspected that the continuity of government bunker under the fairgrounds was used by Dallas Police to communicate that day, but to see it in print plainly stated, with names of Dallas Detectives long rumored to be members of Jack Crichton’s Army Intelligence group? Why was Police Intelligence being run through US Army Reserve Cmmunucations bunker?

Paul,

Take a look at this Forum thread:

Old Dallas Civil Defense Emergency Operations Center

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/25119-old-dallas-civil-defense-emergency-operations-center/?tab=comments#comment-383820

Notice the top right hand corner. Letter also by Boise Smith WRR transmitter building.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qqt01

Texas State Guard. By William C. Wilkes and Mary M. Standifer

"In the 1950s the Signal Corps of the Texas State Guard Reserve Corps embraced 500 radio stations statewide. These provided valuable communications assistance to civil authorities and the Red Cross in times of natural disaster."

Statement by Colonel John W. Mayo, Chairman of City-County Civil Defense and Disaster Commission at the Dedication of the Emergency Operations Center at Fair Park.

http://www.civildefensemuseum.com/fallout/docs/may241961a.jpg

This Statement appeared on the  Civil Defense and Disaster Commission letter head co-signed by Boise Smith, WRR transmitter Building at Fair Park.

WRR was a city-owned radio station.

In the Batchelor's Exhibit CE5002 https://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh19/pdf/WH19_Batchelor_Ex_5002.pdf ,

Boise Smith is listed as a Deputy Chief of Police (along with Lumpkin, Stevenson and Batchelor) and as the Director of the Civil Defense and Disaster Commission. As such, he reported directly to Curry.

See this statement by Mayo decrying the artists being displayed at the Art Museum

http://washingtonbabylon.com/bunker-command-center-jfk-assassination-merely-worlds-interesting-basement/

"In March of 1955, Col. John W. Mayo, commander of the Dallas Metropolitan Post No. 581 of the American Legion, sent a communication to the Trustees of the Art Museum decrying many of the Museum’s policies and saying that the Post objected ‘to the Museum patronizing and supporting artists … whose political beliefs are dedicated to destroying our way of life."

In this same website, it says, " An online exhibit by the Dallas City Hall provides the following historical summary of WRR, the station-of-choice for Dallas-Fort Worth highbrows since 1964, when it switched to an all classical format. Until the departments had their own internal support, WRR supplied and maintained all radio equipment for Police, Fire, Park and Recreation, Water, Public Works, and the former Health Department. At its peak it furnished dispatching services for Dallas County, Cockrell Hill Police Department, and private ambulance services (in the days before 911). WRR discontinued these adjunct services in 1969."

"In his book, Family of Secrets, veteran reporter Russ Baker notes:

In April 1, 1962, Dallas Civil Defense, with Crichton heading its intelligence component, opened an elaborate underground command post under the patio of the Dallas Health and Science Museum. Because it was intended for “continuity-of-government” operations during an attack, it was fully equipped with communications equipment.
With this shelter in operation on November 22, 1963, it was possible for someone based there to communicate with police and other emergency services. There is no indication that the Warren Commission or any other investigative body or even JFK assassination researchers looked into this facility or the police and Army Intelligence figures associated with it."

http://washingtonbabylon.com/bunker-command-center-jfk-assassination-merely-worlds-interesting-basement/

What I don't know at this point, is if the groups involved used the same physical pieces of equipment, or if they were each using their own.

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

Mr. Butler, the ambulance driver, tells us that his call sign was #601 and that they arrived at Tippit within 5 mins of the call.

Problem I'm having is that the last transmission from #601 is at 12:51 and they are at Parkland...

Butler says they are at 400 E Jefferson when the call comes in, and are at Tippit within minutes...

There is a lot more but since I cannot post images at the moment, please see this post at DPF....

Thanks
DJ

https://deeppoliticsforum.com/forums/showthread.php?16862-The-Tippit-Case-in-the-New-Millenium&p=124826#post124826 

6 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

David,

In his WC testimony, Westbrook talks about Stringer as being "my Sergeant", said, " so I sent the men that were in my office, which were then Sergeants Stringer and Carver, and possibly Joe Fields and McGee",

and since the H.H. Stringer who signed the Report that Jim Hargrove provided signed his name as being H.H. Stringer, Sergeant in the Personnel Bureau, it's odd that the people involved would mix him up with a Patrolman in the Patrol Division.

Do you think they might have been brothers?

Steve Thomas

I don't think Hill mixed it up at all...

Let's remember that Hill was in WESTBROOK's unit on loan as well...  He knew full well the Lt. was H H Stringer and not R D....

The toughest question to answer... Who other than Baggett, Hudson, & Hawkins are in back of the theater and not listed here?

Capt Talbert.  H H Stringer's report talks about Talbert and more officers questioning a boy in the alley....(Brewer?)
And how he, HH, sees a truck with the engine running just north of the alley.  "I checked the truck for a weapon and just walked back to the alley... from inside the... theater..WE GOT HIM! "

WESTBROOK has been literally all over the place and at every critical location up to this point and when they actually arrest OSWALD
He decides to go the other way ??

Mr. BALL. Did you see him taken from the theatre? 
Mr. WESTBROOK. No, sir; because I went the other way. 
Mr. BALL. You went to the back? 
Mr. WESTBROOK. Yes; he went out the front and I never saw Oswald again--- that's the last time I saw him

:huh:

Bernard Haire tells us the spitting image of Oswald was taken out the BACK of the theater and taken away in a police car...

1 - who was the man being taken away? (Balcony?)

2 - what about the truck?  One thing we do not know... did Ken CROY drive a truck, or a car that day?

638903149_PERSONNELandFORGERYOfficersinvolvedinthearrestofOswaldatthetheater-smaller.thumb.jpg.bd555008932374c39f9532d5d1060ff8.jpg

But true to form, Gerald "auto shells" Hill throws in a red herring to explain why his call # is used on ch 2, 30 minutes AFTER the Abundant Church us declared cleared, to ask what every happened down at the Abundant Life church.

It is LIKELY that an assailant did indeed hide out in that Church.... 
Crisman was a bishop in the UNIVERSAL Life Church.

2 hours ago, David Josephs said:

WESTBROOK has been literally all over the place and at every critical location up to this point and when they actually arrest OSWALD

Sure he does.  He's got to make sure the Oswald arrested in the balcony and led out the back door disappears.  Otherwise, the entire operation would be jeopardized.

12 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Never did say ur welcome...  

also, a huge thank you....

you been doing simply great work, well thought out and really helpful in tying things down ur probably not even aware of

in the thoughts like mine trying to see as big a picture as possible both micro and macro...

The military is where many answers lay buried... nice digging

dj

9 hours ago, David Josephs said:

The toughest question to answer... Who other than Baggett, Hudson, & Hawkins are in back of the theater and not listed here?

Capt Talbert.  H H Stringer's report talks about Talbert and more officers questioning a boy in the alley....(Brewer?)

Mr. BALL. Did you see him taken from the theatre? 
Mr. WESTBROOK. No, sir; because I went the other way. 
Mr. BALL. You went to the back? 
Mr. WESTBROOK. Yes; he went out the front and I never saw Oswald again--- that's the last time I saw him

But true to form, Gerald "auto shells" Hill throws in a red herring to explain why his call # is used on ch 2, 30 minutes AFTER the Abundant Church us declared cleared, to ask what every happened down at the Abundant Life church.

It is LIKELY that an assailant did indeed hide out in that Church.... 
Crisman was a bishop in the UNIVERSAL Life Church.

David,

WC testimony of Thomas Hutson:

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/hutson.htm

Mr. HUTSON. "We pulled up to this location and I was the first out of the car to hit the ground. As I walked up to the fire exit doors, Officer Hawkins and Baggett were getting out of the car, and the door to the theatre opened, and this unknown white male was exiting.
I drew my pistol and put it on him and told him to put up his hands and not to make a move, and he was real nervous and scared and said: "I am not the one. I just came back to open the door. I work up the street at the shoestore..."

I've always been puzzled by this statement by Hutson:

" Then Captain Westbrook came in and gave the order to get him out of here as fast as you can and don't let anybody see him, and he was rushed out of the theatre."

Why was it important to Westbrook not to let anybody see who was being arrested?

As far as the Church, I was curious as to whatever happened to the trainee riding with M.N. McDonald, T.R. Gregory.

McDonald abandoned him at the Church and he is never heard from again.

Mr. BALL - How did you happen to go to the 400 block on Jefferson?
Mr. McDONALD - I was stopped by other officers there. They wanted to search a house. So I relieved my partner to go to help the supervisors search this house, in the 400 block of East Jefferson. Then I went around to the alleys, and started cruising the alley in my squad car.

Mr. McDONALD - After I was satisfied that this teenager that had run into the library didn't fit the description, I went back to my squad car, put my shotgun back in the rack. Just as I got into the squad car, it was reported that a suspect was seen running into the Texas Theatre, 231 West Jefferson.
So I reported to that location Code 3. This is approximately seven blocks from the library, seven blocks west.
Mr. BALL - Did you go down there with your partner?
Mr. McDONALD - No, sir; I had let my partner out on arrival; my first arrival in the 400 block.
Mr. BALL - He was on foot?
Mr. McDONALD - Yes, sir; I didn't see him any more that day.

Funny way to treat your partner, I think.

Steve Thomas

With a few glaring exceptions, the apparent arrest of the Balcony Oswald went unrecorded in official Dallas city and county documents.  Here are several of the exceptions I’ve gathered so far… there may be a few others.

In a supplementary report Dep. Sheriff Buddy Walthers indicated that “Some unknown officer was holding a white man at the steps of the balcony and I proceeded on into the balcony.”  

Walthers_2.jpg

Of course, C.E. Talbert’s Homicide Report on Tippit indicates that “Suspect was later arrested in the balcony of the Texas Theatre….”  Talbert was the same officer who noted the young man standing next to the running pickup truck near the back of the theater.

balcony1.gif

A day or two ago, I went through the Dallas archives looking for a better copy of J.D. Tippit’s Homicide Report.  The two copies I found were totally illegible.  Odd.

As shown above, L.D. Stringfellow’s report also indicated “Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested in the balcony of the Texas Theater….”

balcony2.gif

In an unofficial document, Deputy Sheriff Bill Courson also indicated that he was reasonably certain he met Oswald coming down the front stairs of the theater, the stairs that led directly to the balcony.  I believe there are a few other remaining hints about what happened in the balcony, but I haven't found them for this post.

It strikes me as odd that, for an apparent event that was otherwise almost totally suppressed, these documents survived.  Was it a mistake?  An indication that Dallas city and county authorities were less willing to alter and destroy documents than the FBI and the WC?  An action by some Dallas authorities to preserve a bit of the evidence about the murderer of J.D. Tippit?

Regardless, it seems reasonable to me to consider the possibility that the fellow who looked like “LHO” in balcony of the Texas Theater could have been the same fellow who looked like “LHO” to the two closest witnesses of the Tippit shooting, and could have been the same fellow who looked like “LHO” and several times identified himself as “LHO” when he appeared all around Dallas in the six weeks or so prior to the assassination setting up the patsy.

How else do we explain these coincidences?  Why would anyone murder a uniformed cop in broad daylight in front of numerous witnesses and start running directly toward the Texas Theater?  It’s almost as if he wanted to enrage the local police and lead them straight to the theater... where a poor schmuck who had traveled to Russia and pretended to be a Castro supporter was waiting with two half dollar bills hoping to find a contact who was never there.  

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:43 PM, Paul Brancato said:

Police radio at the fairgrounds? I’ve long suspected that the continuity of government bunker under the fairgrounds was used by Dallas Police to communicate that day, but to see it in print plainly stated, with names of Dallas Detectives long rumored to be members of Jack Crichton’s Army Intelligence group? Why was Police Intelligence being run through US Army Reserve Cmmunucations bunker? And no mention of the 488th. I think the most suspicious thing by far is directing all of this towards Colonel Jones at the 112th. After all, Crichton was involved with the COG bunker from the get go, whereas Jones, as we discovered, was transferred from a post in Germany in 1963, and clearly lied to the WC about his position in the 112th. It all seems like misdirection. It’s the mysterious 488th that we should be looking at for ties between the DPD and Army Reserve. 

Interestingly Larry Crafard had worked at the Fairgrounds before he was employed by Ruby.

According to Laura Kittrell, Crafard impersonated Oswald.

It is quite evident from Kittrell’s account that the real Lee Harvey Oswald never set foot in the TEC in October 1963. The official Warren Commission records place him there in October 1962 (See Cunningham Exhibit No. 4) According to Kittrell, he was impersonated there in the fall of 1963 by Larry Crafard, who made his best effort to paint him as a violent and hateful man who loved guns, was capable of murder, was a Teamster, and was out to kill Kennedy.

--> http://merdist.com/wp/2018/09/27/laura-kittrell-larry-crafard-and-lee-oswald/

Is this story true?