The Education Forum

Familiar Faces in Dealey Plaza

Allan Eaglesham

Thank you all for your kind remarks. They are greatly appreciated by Martha and me. Who is Martha? Martha Schallhorn co-authored the original article that appeared in JFK/Deep Politics Quarterly. She deserves most of the credit, because it was she who noticed the Conein look-alike from which the article grew.

Pictures with the article may be viewed at

http://www.manuscriptservice.com/DarkCorners.html

and follow the appropriate flashlight link.

As we noticed more lookalikes, we came to the point of thinking that the law of diminishing returns applies. It seemed that the more we found the less likely they actually belonged to their "doppelgangers." However, the superb work that James Richards has presented in forums dwarfs our work.

The article is carefully worded. Obviously, it is impossible to firmly identify anyone from one or maybe two photograph, particularly when much is desired by way of photographic quality. We observed what we observed and felt an obligation to share it. That James continued the momentum was reward in itself.

I feel that the location of these lookalikes may be significant. They were within Dealey Plaza to view what was going on, but at a safe distance from the action. There was no need for that fellow to climb on the lamp-pole to get a good view of the limo, but it certainly improved his view of the limo as it made its way down Elm Street.

Why were they there? It's a fair question. My gut feeling is that they could not stay away from this most momentous of occasions -- they had to be physically part of the killing of a president.

Thank you again.

Allan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why were they there? It's a fair question. My gut feeling is that they could not stay away from this most momentous of occasions -- they had to be physically part of the killing of a president.

I agree completely. They wanted to be there, and history has proven that there was no reason for them to stay away. They knew it was safe, and that's a pretty sad thing.

Martha Schallhorn co-authored the original article that appeared in JFK/Deep Politics Quarterly. She deserves most of the credit, because it was she who noticed the Conein look-alike from which the article grew. (Allan Eaglesham)

Hi Allan,

I would also like to chime in here with praise for Martha. She goes about things quietly but with much style and intelligence.

A class act all the way.

BTW, thank you for your kind words.

James

Allan,

Outstanding as usual. As you know, many of us, including James, Ron and Tim, have had this discussion previously. I would only reinterate my research concerning the following:

"A man in dark glasses, in another photograph taken by Mr. Altgens, resembles David Morales. He had mounted the base of a lamppost at the corner of Houston and Main, presumably to obtain a good view of Dealey Plaza as a whole."

IMO, "Lamppost Man" was a CIA case officer, name unknown(I spent months trying to track him down). He is shown in a photo taken at a Raven base in Longtieng Laos around 1970, dubbed "Pakse Base Man". I don't think it is Morales on the lamppost.

Closeup of Lamppost Man:

Pakse Base Man:

RJS

Allan,

Outstanding as usual. As you know, many of us, including James, Ron and Tim,  have had this discussion previously. I would only reinterate my research concerning the following:

"A man in dark glasses, in another photograph taken by Mr. Altgens, resembles David Morales. He had mounted the base of a lamppost at the corner of Houston and Main, presumably to obtain a good view of Dealey Plaza as a whole."

IMO, "Lamppost Man" was a CIA case officer, name unknown(I spent months trying to track him down). He is shown in a photo taken at a Raven base in Longtieng Laos around 1970, dubbed "Pakse Base Man". I don't think it is Morales on the lamppost.

Closeup of Lamppost Man:

Pakse Base Man:

RJS

Hi Richard:

I agree that "lamp-post man" strongly resembles "Pakse Base Man." But I am less persuaded than you that LPM was not Morales. I don't think that PBM was Morales, however, and I know that I now seem to be demanding jam on both sides of my bread. The trouble lies in the photograph of LPM being taken from some distance and the features are indistinct.

Excellent observation on your part, Richard, bringing PBM into the picture -- very intriguing indeed. I hope that other avenues of enquiry remain open, or become open to permit you to pin an ID on him.

Allan

Allan,

Outstanding as usual. As you know, many of us, including James, Ron and Tim,  have had this discussion previously. I would only reiterate my research concerning the following:

IMO, "Lamppost Man" was a CIA case officer, name unknown (I spent months trying to track him down). He is shown in a photo taken at a Raven base in Longtieng Laos around 1970, dubbed "Pakse Base Man". I don't think it is Morales on the lamppost.

Closeup of Lamppost Man:

Pakse Base Man:

RJS

I agree that "lamp-post man" strongly resembles "Pakse Base Man." But I am less persuaded than you that LPM was not Morales. I don't think that PBM was Morales, however, and I know that I now seem to be demanding jam on both sides of my bread. The trouble lies in the photograph of LPM being taken from some distance and the features are indistinct.

Excellent observation on your part, Richard, bringing PBM into the picture -- very intriguing indeed. I hope that other avenues of enquiry remain open, or become open to permit you to pin an ID on him.

Allan

I agree with Richard. The smirk is the defining characteristic, which personifies the look-alike/attendees phenomenon generally: Arrogance.

Tim

What about CIA operatives? Any of those found in Dallas that day?

Depends on what you mean by "operatives". There are assets, and there are actual employees of the CIA.

If you're referring to CIA employees, I think Tim posted comparison photos of James McCord. McCord and David Atlee Phillips were very well acquainted. I saw a document somewhere that I couldn't copy, but I did write it down and typed as a Word doc.

SECRET

FOR THE RECORD 1 Feb.1961

SUBJECT: XXXXXXXXXXX (blacked out)

1. On this date Subject's case was coordinated with Mr. McCord of SRS in connection with Subject's operational use within the US by WH/4/Propaganda. The implications of a CI operation within the States by this agency and the possibility Subject might come to the attention of the FBI through association with Court Wood were discussed.

2. Mr. McCord expressed the opinion that it is not necessary to advise the FBI of the operation at this time. However, he wishes to review the case in a month. The file of Subject, along with that of the WH man who is supervising the operation(David Atlee Phillips #40695) will be (sus)pended for the attention of Mr. McCord on 1 March 1961.

This doc was in reference to the CIA infiltrating the Fair Play for Cuba Committee. When the FBI got wind of it, Phillips pulled the plug. The CIA is not to conduct Counter Intelligence operations in the USA. The FBI then started their own covert operation, which may have later utilized Lee Oswald. LHO was still in the Soviet Union at the time of this memo The memo is reproduced exactly as written, including Phillips' name.

Lucien Conein is also one of the DP lookalikes.

As far as CIA assets, including those of the Cuban exile community, there were many.

RJS

John,

CIA connections can be interpreted a few ways but I have done the following. We can also add Lansdale which Prouty identified and Allan mentioned in his seminar piece.

Also regarding Interpen personnel, I forgot to include Roy Hargraves.

FWIW.

James

Edited by James Richards

James,

What were the circumstances regarding the Whatley lookalike? I recall you posting that comparison on the Lancer forum. Wasn't the lookalike photographed in the sheriff's office or DPD?

Ron

What were the circumstances regarding the Whatley lookalike? I recall you posting that comparison on the Lancer forum. Wasn't the lookalike photographed in the sheriff's office or DPD? (Ron Ecker)

Hi Ron,

Yes, the image I used was taken from a section of film exposed in the DPD. This guy was in the company of uniformed officers. There was very few frames as the incident just flashed by. The cameraman wasn't focused on this action.

I don't know who the cameraman was; maybe Gary Mack could help out here.

I should also point out that Howard K. Davis was quite determined in saying that this guy was not Whatley.

James

Edited by James Richards

James,

So who exactly was Whatley? Was he one of the 13 No Name Key guys arrested by Diosdado in 1962?

Ron

So who exactly was Whatley? Was he one of the 13 No Name Key guys arrested by Diosdado in 1962? (Ron Ecker)

Ron,

I wish I had some solid information on Dick Whatley for you. I don't believe he was arrested in the No Name bust; his name wasn't listed.

I can tell you Whatley was the one who sent Gerry Hemming and Loran Hall to Dick Hathcock to borrow money on the Johnson rifle and the golf clubs. Whatley was supposedly good friends with Hathcock.

Whatley was also in Guatemala training members of Brigade 2506 for the Bay of Pigs. There he encountered Bernardo De Torres and indeed, may have been travelling with De Torres in July of 1963. I have nothing to back that up though.

Whatley's covert work was mainly done from within a small cell which also included James Arthur Lewis and Bobby Willis - Willis being someone I know next to nothing about. (I have added him to the long list)

Whatley went out of his way to not have his photograph taken. He was very secretive. There are 2 individuals who in my opinion should be seriously questioned in relation to the assassination of JFK. Whatley is one of them, Edmund Kolby is another. Both men are still alive.

James