The Education Forum

Bill Shelley Still Alive?

One of these is supposed to be Lt. Hoyt Shelley (William Hoyt Shelley), part of his high school's ROTC program. Which one is Shelley?

LtHoytShelley.jpg

Howdy Bob,

I'd say the short guy (in the front row) who is wearing the officer's hat is "Lieutenant Shelley."

Remember, he's pretty young here, and his face will change a bit over the next several years.

-- Tommy :sun

One of these is supposed to be Lt. Hoyt Shelley (William Hoyt Shelley), part of his high school's ROTC program. Which one is Shelley?

LtHoytShelley.jpg

Howdy Bob,

I'd say the short guy (in the front row) who is wearing the officer's hat is "Lieutenant Shelley."

Remember, he's pretty young here, and his face will change a bit over the next several years.

Oh, so you know how old he was in this photo, Thomas?

LtHoytShelley.jpg

Howdy Bob,

Oh, so you know how old he was in this photo, Thomas?

Howdy Bob!

"Funny" question, Bob.

Wild-Guess Reasonable Answer: High School Age? Meaning probably younger than 45?

Well, according to www.prayer-man.com , this photo was taken in 1945, and if nothing else, the boys from ROKC know how to do their homework. Bill Shelley was born in July of 1925, making him about twenty years old in this photo. Unless he was an exceptionally late bloomer, I'd say he had done about all of the growing he was going to do.

You don't really appreciate just how short Bill Shelley was until you get a look at the larger photo from which the crop I posted was taken.:

http://www.prayer-man.com/tsbd/bill-shelley/# Left click on photo with "1945" under it.

Unless the officer beside Shelley is a literal giant, I'd say Shelley was precisely what I thought he was; a very short man, and nowhere near as tall as the 5' 8" tall Bill Lovelady.

It's not looking too good for the Lovelady and Shelley stroll down the Elm St. extension just seconds after the last shot, Tommy.

Edited by Robert Prudhomme

After observing the "Shelley" & "Lovelady" walking down Elm St. extension gif a few times, it is clear that these two fellows were walking down the middle of the street, and that the one thought to be Shelley is noticeably taller than the other one. At one point, toward the end, they appear to be the same height, but very close observation reveals that, as he pulls ahead, "Lovelady" actually gets up on his tiptoes for a second or two, in an attempt to get a better look at what is going on at the Grassy Knoll.

After observing the "Shelley" & "Lovelady" walking down Elm St. extension gif a few times, it is clear that these two fellows were walking down the middle of the street, and that the one thought to be Shelley is noticeably taller than the other one. At one point, toward the end, they appear to be the same height, but very close observation reveals that, as he pulls ahead, "Lovelady" actually gets up on his tiptoes for a second or two, in an attempt to get a better look at what is going on at the Grassy Knoll.

Howdy Bob!,

Fantastic observation.

So what?

What does "noticeably taller" signify in this context? Two inches? Half a foot?

If, for example, Lovelady was 5'6" and Shelly was 5'8" would that "foot the bill," or would it jeopardize your "theory" somehow? What if Shelley was 5'9" and Lovelady 5'7" ?

What are your requirements?

Just an idea: Maybe you can eventually locate the "mug shot" that must have been taken of of Lovelady in Maryland in 1960.

I mean after all, why rely on the "notorious FBI," whose accuracy and integrity you've so severely and so often impugned in the past?

Edited by Thomas Graves

Quite simple, Thomas. Shelley was shorter than Lovelady, and that is NOT Shelley and Lovelady walking down the Elm St. extension as Baker goes running across the street.

Quite simple, Thomas. Shelley was shorter than Lovelady, and that is NOT Shelley and Lovelady walking down the Elm St. extension as Baker goes running across the street.

Howdy Bob!

I respectfully disagree, Bob..

Now, does that make me a "disinfo agent," like you accused me of being in a PM a couple of years ago? (Which PM I have saved, BTW.)

Edited by Thomas Graves

I'm glad you're doing this research, Bob. The Shelley/Lovelady walk down Elm street extension does seem to be falling apart. Too bad you haven't been able to find definitive proof that Shelley is shorter than Lovelady. But what you've found so far is enough for me to have doubts about that walk.

I'll find out how tall Bill Shelley was, if'n it hare lips everybody on Bear Creek!

(apologies to Slim Pickens and Stanley Kubrick)