The Education Forum

An Update on the Lancer Rebuild

On 1/22/2017 at 6:00 AM, Ken Rheberg said:

Almost two months now since the last update.  What's the latest on the Lancer rebuild?

No response to my request nearly two months ago for an update on the Lancer Archive recovery project.  So let's try again.

It's now been three and a half months since the last update on this by James Gordon.  The status then was that James had "re-sanctioned" the necessary work and that recovery of the Archive was a real possibility.

So where does the project stand?  James?  Moderators?  Anybody?

Ken

Edited by Ken Rheberg

An update on the Lancer Archive:-

I do not know whether I mentioned it but the original files that Debra Conway transferred into our safe keeping were horrendously corrupted. The developer informed me that he had never witnessed a hack this severe. There was no possibility of a restoration as  [ not only were the files corrupted ] the very structure of the site had been destroyed. At that point it appeared that the project had come to an end.

However - just on a hope - I contacted Debra to see whether she had stored earlier backups. She answered that she had earlier backups and sent us one. However not only was this backup corrupted it did not contain the a backup of the data files.

Hoping that there was still in existence an earlier backup I contacted Debra and asked for a copy of the structure files as well as the data files. Debra informed me that although this was a difficult time for her she would download a further copy. Unfortunately the download did not fully work and it was never received.

Recently I became aware what Debra meant by it being a "difficult time" for her. Her sister - Sherry Fiester - is very ill. And it is the kind of situation I  prefer not to disturb Debra at this point in time.

So where are we?

First:- It appears that clean backups of the JFK Lancer do exist. And therefore it appears a restoration is indeed possible. However - being earlier copies - it is not clear just how much of the archive will now be able to be restored.

Second:- Restoration is on hold. Debra has enough on her plate without me reminding her to re-download the set that earlier did not download properly.

Third:- the developer is happy to pause the restoration until the clean set of data is sent to them.

Fourth:- I suspect it will be a little while before the restoration is begun again.

James.

On 3/16/2017 at 1:55 AM, James R Gordon said:

An update on the Lancer Archive:-

I do not know whether I mentioned it but the original files that Debra Conway transferred into our safe keeping were horrendously corrupted. The developer informed me that he had never witnessed a hack this severe. There was no possibility of a restoration as  [ not only were the files corrupted ] the very structure of the site had been destroyed. At that point it appeared that the project had come to an end.

However - just on a hope - I contacted Debra to see whether she had stored earlier backups. She answered that she had earlier backups and sent us one. However not only was this backup corrupted it did not contain the a backup of the data files.

Hoping that there was still in existence an earlier backup I contacted Debra and asked for a copy of the structure files as well as the data files. Debra informed me that although this was a difficult time for her she would download a further copy. Unfortunately the download did not fully work and it was never received.

Recently I became aware what Debra meant by it being a "difficult time" for her. Her sister - Sherry Fiester - is very ill. And it is the kind of situation I  prefer not to disturb Debra at this point in time.

So where are we?

First:- It appears that clean backups of the JFK Lancer do exist. And therefore it appears a restoration is indeed possible. However - being earlier copies - it is not clear just how much of the archive will now be able to be restored.

Second:- Restoration is on hold. Debra has enough on her plate without me reminding her to re-download the set that earlier did not download properly.

Third:- the developer is happy to pause the restoration until the clean set of data is sent to them.

Fourth:- I suspect it will be a little while before the restoration is begun again.

James.

Thanks for the update.

On 3/16/2017 at 1:55 AM, James R Gordon said:

. . . Recently I became aware what Debra meant by it being a "difficult time" for her. Her sister - Sherry Fiester - is very ill. And it is the kind of situation I  prefer not to disturb Debra at this point in time. . .

I found an email in my inbox yesterday from JFK Lancer dated 3/11/17 that I had somehow overlooked and never opened.  It goes into great detail about Sherry's illness. So sorry to hear about this.

Ken