The Education Forum

Jim Marr's comments on the James Files story: Has any of it been debunked?

On 3/12/2019 at 11:46 AM, Joe Bauer said:

And Danny, could you share your opinion on Roscoe White?

Sure thing. I found your comments on White interesting as well.

Please let me say that I recognize many people much more knowledgeable than I am and have been researching this for much longer disagree with me and believe that the “Roscoe White story” has been debunked years ago. For them this is very old news and ultimately unconvincing.

I personally believe that there was a concentrated effort by some parties to discredit the Roscoe White story at the time Ricky and Geneva were making their stories public. Geneva’s faked journal is used by many to dismiss everything about Roscoe White… fruit from the poisoned tree, so to speak. That doesn’t quite make sense to me, since it seems that much of the admittedly circumstantial evidence that raises red flags about Roscoe White predates Geneva’s journal.

From what I understand, the following claims listed below about Roscoe White seem to be true even if we do our best to disregard most of the statements and evidence brought forward by Ricky and Geneva.

It appears that Roscoe White did not have law enforcement jobs on his resume either before or after his two-year stint with the Dallas PD. Of course, that’s proof of nothing more than that White’s time as a law enforcement officer was unique in his short professional career.

Some people might argue that Roscoe White’s death at a young age could be considered suspicious. I don’t usually get into the suspicious death stuff, but it might be worth nothing when considering the entirety of the Roscoe White story.

Both White and Oswald left the Marine Corps suddenly, due to hardship and dependency discharges respectively.

-
In 1957 Roscoe White, Lee Harvey Oswald, and over five hundred other Marines traveled on the U.S.S. Bexar to Atsugi, Japan.

White married his teenage bride Geneva in 1956 and joined the United States Marine Corps a year later where he is stationed on the U.S.S. Bexar and sent to Japan. One of the other men on board was a Texan named Lee Harvey Oswald and following White's arrival in Japanese city of Atsugi he worked in the First Marine Air Wing. Advocates offer these connections between Lee Harvey Oswald and Roscoe White because they both are placed in the same military division and for a time sailed to Japan on the same military vessel. This biographic information is true; however, for context we might consider that over five hundred men were on the Bexar and roughly seven thousand other people were in the same Marine division.

https://www.tpaak.com/problems-in-black-and-white 

-

There also seems to be a possible link between White and Oswald, and the CIA.

In November of the same year [1957], both White and Oswald ended up in Subic Bay, the Philippines, and, later, off the course of Indonesia as part of a secret CIA invasion force planned for that island nation. Roscoe White wrote of the matter to his wife, Geneva, in letters that survive, complete with their naval-vessel postmarks. Oswald talked with Priscilla McMillan about the incident, as she testified to Warren investigators. The “maneuvers” were protracted; the Marines did not return to their original assignments for several months. Did White, Oswald, both, or neither become trained intelligence assets during this clandestine action?

“Oswald Talked” 1990 Ray and Mary La Fontaine, Pg. 334

-

Roscoe White apparently had a connection to New Orleans, Louisiana. I do not know how well this is documented, but it might be worth noting and exploring further since New Orleans is clearly a place where Oswald spent time and where other persons and events connected to the JFK assassination were located.

In the six years that followed, Rock White made a number of unexplained trips to New Orleans and other places. “I was never sure what was happening.” Geneva says, “but I was raised to let the man do the thinking and not ask questions.”

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/i-was-mandarin/

-

It appears Roscoe White’s wife Geneva worked for Jack Ruby for a short time.

Geneva worked for a few weeks as a hostess in Jack Ruby’s Carousel Club.

-

Roscoe White started work with the Dallas Police Department on October 7, 1963, less than two weeks before Oswald was hired at the TSBD and less than two months before the JFK assassination.

(4) October 7, 1963
Letter from Curry to file. White employed 10/07/63 filling vacancy of Wm. Smith, 1 page.

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/D%20Disk/Dallas%20Police%20Department/Dallas%20Police%20Department%20Disclosures%201992/Item%2003.pdf

-

Roscoe and Geneva White apparently had a third backyard photo with an alternate pose in their possession.

In 1976, when the Senate Intelligence Committee was probing the role of the intelligence agencies in investigating the assassination, it found another pose in the same series of pictures. This was in the possession of a Dallas policeman's widow, the former Mrs. Roscoe White. She said her husband had told her it would be very valuable one day. As the polite prose of the congressional Assassinations Committee was to put it later. Policeman White had "acquired" the picture in the course of his duties after the assassination. A fellow officer has mentioned making "numerous" copies of the Oswald pictures for his colleagues. However, even if this particular print was intended merely as a keepsake, why was there no copy of it in the evidence assembled for the official inquiry? It reflects, at best, astonishingly sloppy handling of evidence. Several officers must have known about this version of the photograph in 1963, for it shows Oswald in a stance with the rifle which was copied in police reenactment experiments. Perhaps, indeed, they once knew of more copies. The last act of this comedy of police work does nothing to still the suspicions of those who suspect hanky-panky with the rifle poses.

“The Kennedy Conspiracy” 1980 Anthony Summers, via https://spartacus-educational.com/JFKwhiteR.htm

-

Roscoe and Geneva White also had roughly 39 other photos of JFK stuff, including a picture of a naked, dead Oswald and Oswald’s ID card from the Department of Defense.

Included in the forty photographs were a picture of Oswald’s naked body on a morgue slab; numerous photos of Oswald’s personal possessions, including selective service and Marine service cards issued to Alek Hidell, Oswald’s alias; and a variation of the famous photograph of a smirking Oswald posing in a back yard with a rifle, a side arm, and copies of communist newspapers.

And he had something else – something that as we’ve seen (chapter 3) could be construed as evidence that Oswald worked for the CIA. He had a picture of Oswald’s Department of Defense ID card.

“Oswald Talked” 1990 Ray and Mary La Fontaine, Pg. 335

-

It seems that Roscoe White owned a 7.65 Mauser rifle, the same type as was first identified as the assassination rifle on the sixth floor of the TSBD. I do not know if this has been verified. Since it references a research team receiving the rifle, I don’t believe this factoid relies entirely upon the veracity of Ricky White alone:

One of the pieces of evidence that Ricky turned over to the research team was his father’s 7.65 Mauser.

-

Apparently Roscoe White was a skilled rifleman that specialized in surveying sites for target shooting.

He was a superb marksman, and frequently wrote of his duties on the rifle range. One of these included developing a specialty in “surveying target sites.”

“Oswald Talked” 1990 Ray and Mary La Fontaine, Pg. 334

-

What were Roscoe White’s duties as a police officer for the Dallas Police Department? Page 7 of this following PDF of a 1990 draft of “The Roscoe White Story” author Paul Hoch says it’s “established” that White was working as a photographer for the DPD at the time of the assassination.

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/W%20Disk/White%20Roscoe%20Miscellaneous%20Sources/Item%2031.pdf

But in 1975, Gerald Weatherly, assistant D.A. of Dallas County contacted the DPD and his contact said that there was no record of what division Roscoe White worked in during his two years as a Dallas police officer.

Today by phone Miss Slovacek of the Personnel Department of that Police Force told me, on consulting, as she said, a card in the records there, that Roscoe A. White “was employed” by and on that Police Force… but that that card “doesn’t say where or on what division or where he was working.”

“Oswald Talked” 1990 Ray and Mary La Fontaine, Pg. 337

-

Okay, here are my opinions again.

I did my best, other than the possible New Orleans connection, to exclude what I felt were unverifiable claims that relied on Ricky or Geneva alone. Adding their claims, and those of others, there is much more that could be added to the “Roscoe White Story.”

Even removing the New Orleans connection and the possible ownership of a Mauser rifle, and dismissing the connections to Oswald and Ruby, it appears to me that some facts still stand. And in my opinion one fact stands out the most:

On the day of the assassination and for days afterward, Roscoe White had access to a Dallas police officer’s uniform and seemed to have unfettered access to critical JFK assassination evidence. There seems to be no question about that. Few things would be more valuable to conspirators, but that's only my opinion.

Edited by Denny Zartman

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Denny,

In addition to your very informative post on Roscoe White, please consider this post relating the experiences of a 14-year old in police headquarters on 11.22.63, Mike Robinson.  To me, this lends credence to Roscoe White being one of the two who shot J.D. Tippit.  I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on his involvement beyond what you posted, given what Mike said he overheard in the locker room bathroom.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Rick McTague said:

Denny,

In addition to your very informative post on Roscoe White, please consider this post relating the experiences of a 14-year old in police headquarters on 11.22.63, Mike Robinson.  To me, this lends credence to Roscoe White being one of the two who shot J.D. Tippit.  I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on his involvement beyond what you posted, given what Mike said he overheard in the locker room bathroom.

Thanks

It's a persuasive story, in my opinion. It would also appear to support Ricky's characterization of the Tippit encounter in the alleged first (and now missing) journal. It's a shame that hypnosis had to be used to recall any parts of Robinson's story, because that tends to throw some doubt. I'd give anything to know how much of Robinson's memories were independent recollection and exactly what parts were recovered through hypnosis.