The Education Forum

James Hosty and KGB Agent Kostikov

Paul Trejo

1 hour ago, Chris Newton said:

Chris,

Interesting memo from J. Edgar Hoover dated September 1, 1964, responding to a CIA question whether Kostikov ever worked for FBI Department 13.

Hoover answered, no.  Hoover did not mention Lee Harvey Oswald at any time in his reply.

The CIA, however, added a NOTE at the end, in which they were still trying to figure out (even in 1964) whether LHO had met Kostikov during his Mexico City trip in 1963.

The CIA note further discloses that the CIA was very worried about Kostikov from earlier in the year in 1963, as to his possible status with the KGB or other Intelligence communities, and they had asked the FBI for help with the Kostikov status as early as 5/31/1963.  Here it is, 1964, and the CIA was still unsure. 

This helps to explain why, even during LHO's Mexico City trip, the CIA was investigating Kostikov as very suspicious.  

Yet the CIA didn't ask Hoover about the connection of Kostikov with LHO -- which is proved by the fact that Hoover didn't mention it.  That suspicion was a CIA Mole-Hunt secret.  Only people close to the Mole would speak about it.

That's why I strongly suspect FBI James Hosty of participation with the Mole.

BTW, Chris, I truly appreciate the fact that you are sharing all these CIA and FBI documents, proving that James Hosty made up all that stuff about an LHO-Kostikov connection.  There are no supporting CIA or FBI documents for Hosty.  IMHO, James Hosty attempts to deceive the reader in his 1996 book, Assignment Oswald.  

If anybody publishes authentic CIA or FBI documentation of a Kostikov-Oswald connection, I'll publicly reverse my opinion -- but not otherwise.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo
typos

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Paul Trejo said:

The CIA, however, added a NOTE at the end, in which they were still trying to figure out (even in 1964) whether LHO had met Kostikov during his Mexico City trip in 1963.

The "Note" on page 2 is written by the FBI it was not added by the CIA.

IMHO both SA Hosty and SAC Sorrels should be considered possible conspirators.

2 hours ago, Chris Newton said:

Chris,

On this point I agree with you 100%.  The breakdown in the US Government protection of the President was in the Secret Service PRS (Protective Research Section).

The PRS is the nexus of communication between the local FBI and the Secret Service.  The Dallas FBI failed to tell the Secret Service the truth about Robert Alan Surrey and the WANTED FOR TREASON: JFK posters.  Hosty knew, and so did Dallas SAC Forrest Sorrels.  They withheld the truth from the Secret Service PRS, and that is how JFK was killed.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo
typos

13 minutes ago, Paul Trejo said:

On this point I agree with you 100%.

We agree in many areas. We disagree on the core conspirators.

I don't know yet where I stand on the Mexico/Oswald issues. I know it smells like a bucket of red herrings left outside in the Mexican sun.

IMHO this is a key unredacted FBI document:

Dated 11/23/63

...states data furnished by named CIA staff on 11/23/63

...describes double agent project involving Kostikov -TUMBLEWEED

...states they already know about "Kostin" thru intercept

...dates are all confused in document (ref to 10/18/63 visit is actual date of CIA HQ Cable disseminated to FBI)

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=6069#relPageId=17&tab=page

Chris, you said that I said, "Chris Newton has already shown that the only CIA document in October about LHO in MC had no reference to Kostikov.  That is strong evidence, IMHO."

I did not say that. Paul did. 

21 hours ago, Paul Trejo said:

Pamela,

Yes, correct.  And that memo was dated November 10, 1963 -- a full month after the alleged LHO-Kostikov meeting.  That LHO memo held several fabrications:

(1) That the FBI was no longer interested in LHO

(2) That the FBI encouraged Marina Oswald to defect;

(3) That Lee and Marina "protested vigorously" to the FBI;

(4)  That the USSR Embassy in Mexico City should have been notified by the USSR Embassy in Washington DC that LHO was coming to Mexico City.

This memo was not a Communist reporting to his superiors -- since LHO was never a member of the Communist Party (as J. Edgar Hoover and Alan Belmont both testified under oath).  Instead, this purpose of this memo was to pretend to be a Communist reporting to his superiors.  Just like the Fake FPCC in New Orleans, when LHO himself called the FBI on himself.  LHO was creating a paper trail for the FBI to follow -- at the request of Guy Banister at 544 Camp Street.  I think Jim Garrison proved that well.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo 

So what?  It does mention "Comrade Kostin".

17 minutes ago, Pamela Brown said:

Chris, you said that I said, "Chris Newton has already shown that the only CIA document in October about LHO in MC had no reference to Kostikov.  That is strong evidence, IMHO."

I did not say that. Paul did. 

No worries Pam, I got that. I'm sorry if it seemed I was directing that at you. Not my intention.

2 hours ago, Pamela Brown said:

So what?  It does mention "Comrade Kostin".

Pamela,

Then, you are affirming -- categorically -- that Comrade Kostin = Vladimir Kostikov?

You're certain about this?

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

16 hours ago, Chris Newton said:

IMHO this is a key unredacted FBI document:

Dated 11/23/63

...states data furnished by named CIA staff on 11/23/63

...describes double agent project involving Kostikov -TUMBLEWEED

...states they already know about "Kostin" thru intercept

...dates are all confused in document (ref to 10/18/63 visit is actual date of CIA HQ Cable disseminated to FBI)

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=6069#relPageId=17&tab=page

Chris,

This is an excellent contribution.   This FBI memo is as close to a smoking gun as I have ever seen.  I will type it in for everybody to see clearly: 

---------------------------- BEGIN FBI MEMO ABOUT LHO AND KOSTIKOV 11/23/1963 ------------------------

Memorandum

To:  Mr. W.C. Sullivan
Date: 11/23/1963
Subject: LEE HARVEY OSWALD 
               IS - R

The following information was furnished to the Liaison Agent on 11/23/63, by Pete Bagley, CIA.

Bagley made reference to information previously disseminated to the Bureau by CIA indicating that on 10/18/63, Oswald had contacted Valeriy Vladimirivich Kostikov, Soviet Embassy, Mexico City, on 9/28/63.  

At that time, Oswald inquired if there had been any response from Washington, DC, concerning a request which he apparently had made.  He again contacted the Soviet Embassy on 10/1/63, concerning the same matter.  CIA developed this information through a technical surveillance of the Soviet Embassy.

Bagley stated that he wished to point out that Kostikov, known KGB agent, is the same individual who has been in touch with the Bureau double-agent in the case referred to as TUMBLEWEED.  (This case relates to a double agent, Guenter Schulz, who is being operated by us against the Soviets.  He has had contact with the Soviets in Mexico City.  Bagley pointed out that Kostikov has been tentatively identified with the Thirteenth Department of the KGB, which handles sabotage and assassinations.)

With regard to his contacts with the Soviets, we knew, through a sensitive informant, on 11/18/63, that Lee Harvey Oswald had been in contact with the Soviet Embassy, Washington, DC, at which time he related he had recently met with "Comrad Kostin," Soviet Embassy, Mexico City.  

Oswald indicated to the Soviet Embassy, Washington, DC, that he was unable to remain in Mexico because of the Mexican visa restriction of 15 days, and that he could not request a new visa unless he used his real name.  

The same informant indicated that Oswald originally had intended to visit the Soviet Embassy in Havana, Cuba, where he would have had time to "complete his business but could not reach Cuba."

--D.J. Brennan

cc: 
Mr. Belmont
Mr. Rosen
Mr. Brannigan
Mr. Turner
Mr. Rogge
Mr. Papich

---------------------------- END FBI MEMO ABOUT LHO AND KOSTIKOV 11/23/1963 ------------------------

This memo is by DJ Brennan, an FBI Liaison to the CIA, and it reports to the FBI high-command a claim from CIA agent, "Pete Bagley," one day after the JFK murder, that LHO spoke with "Kostikov" in Mexico City, and suggests that "Kostikov" is very likely "Kostin", thus confirming that the CIA had a copy of LHO's "Mexico City" letter.

My question is this: where did the CIA get LHO's "Mexico City Letter?"  If it was through FBI agent James Hosty from Ruth Paine, then it had only been a few hours before this FBI memo that Ruth had handed it to James Hosty -- and so James Hosty himself would have been the "sensitive informant" cited in the memo.

Otherwise, if it was earlier than that, LHO actually mailed his "Mexico City Letter" to the USSR Embassy in Washington DC on November 12, 1963, and the FBI (not the CIA) intercepted it at that time, and made a copy of it before sending it on to its destination.

Either way, therefore, the CIA got its data from the FBI.   Again, this places James Hosty at the center of this rumor-mill which attempts to link LHO with Kostikov.  That's my reading of it.  I'm open to alternative explanations.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo
typos

On 12/9/2016 at 4:10 PM, Chris Newton said:

The "Note" on page 2 is written by the FBI it was not added by the CIA.

I would agree that Sorrels actions are suspect. So are Rowley's.  I consider Hosty one who did CYA after getting caught in the middle of these events.  Hosty made a lot of mistakes imo.

9 hours ago, Paul Trejo said:

Chris,

This is an excellent contribution.   This FBI memo is as close to a smoking gun as I have ever seen.  I will type it in for everybody to see clearly: 

---------------------------- BEGIN FBI MEMO ABOUT LHO AND KOSTIKOV 11/23/1963 ------------------------

Memorandum

To:  Mr. W.C. Sullivan
Date: 11/23/1963
Subject: LEE HARVEY OSWALD 
               IS - R

The following information was furnished to the Liaison Agent on 11/23/63, by Pete Bagley, CIA.

Bagley made reference to information previously disseminated to the Bureau by CIA indicating that on 10/18/63, Oswald had contacted Valeriy Vladimirivich Kostikov, Soviet Embassy, Mexico City, on 9/28/63.  

At that time, Oswald inquired if there had been any response from Washington, DC, concerning a request which he apparently had made.  He again contacted the Soviet Embassy on 10/1/63, concerning the same matter.  CIA developed this information through a technical surveillance of the Soviet Embassy.

Bagley stated that he wished to point out that Kostikov, known KGB agent, is the same individual who has been in touch with the Bureau double-agent in the case referred to as TUMBLEWEED.  (This case relates to a double agent, Guenter Schulz, who is being operated by us against the Soviets.  He has had contact with the Soviets in Mexico City.  Bagley pointed out that Kostikov has been tentatively identified with the Thirteenth Department of the KGB, which handles sabotage and assassinations.)

With regard to his contacts with the Soviets, we knew, through a sensitive informant, on 11/18/63, that Lee Harvey Oswald had been in contact with the Soviet Embassy, Washington, DC, at which time he related he had recently met with "Comrad Kostin," Soviet Embassy, Mexico City.  

Oswald indicated to the Soviet Embassy, Washington, DC, that he was unable to remain in Mexico because of the Mexican visa restriction of 15 days, and that he could not request a new visa unless he used his real name.  

The same informant indicated that Oswald originally had intended to visit the Soviet Embassy in Havana, Cuba, where he would have had time to "complete his business but could not reach Cuba."

--D.J. Brennan

cc: 
Mr. Belmont
Mr. Rosen
Mr. Brannigan
Mr. Turner
Mr. Rogge
Mr. Papich

---------------------------- END FBI MEMO ABOUT LHO AND KOSTIKOV 11/23/1963 ------------------------

This memo is by DJ Brennan, an FBI Liaison to the CIA, and it reports to the FBI high-command a claim from CIA agent, "Pete Bagley," one day after the JFK murder, that LHO spoke with "Kostikov" in Mexico City, and suggests that "Kostikov" is very likely "Kostin", thus confirming that the CIA had a copy of LHO's "Mexico City" letter.

My question is this: where did the CIA get LHO's "Mexico City Letter?"  If it was through FBI agent James Hosty from Ruth Paine, then it had only been a few hours before this FBI memo that Ruth had handed it to James Hosty -- and so James Hosty himself would have been the "sensitive informant" cited in the memo.

Otherwise, if it was earlier than that, LHO actually mailed his "Mexico City Letter" to the USSR Embassy in Washington DC on November 12, 1963, and the FBI (not the CIA) intercepted it at that time, and made a copy of it before sending it on to its destination.

Either way, therefore, the CIA got its data from the FBI.   Again, this places James Hosty at the center of this rumor-mill which attempts to link LHO with Kostikov.  That's my reading of it.  I'm open to alternative explanations.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

But wait, Paul!  Isn't this memo was written a month after the LHO letter that you claim was not written 'early' enough to take into consideration?

Edited by Pamela Brown

On 12/8/2016 at 2:11 PM, Thomas Graves said:

In the ballpark, but it's in regards to a phone call to the Soviet Embassy / Consulate on Friday, September 27, and may not have been Oswald or his impostor, but just some Spanish-speaking guy who wanted some visas to Odessa, U.S.S.R., instead.

https://books.google.com/books?id=17AtAgAAQBAJ&pg=RA1-PR56&lpg=RA1-PR56&dq=oswald+terrible+russian+spanish&source=bl&ots=Y25L0gk_Q_&sig=UPXCfjAE0eiRksVDeYkUm4wPenk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAg_bdzOXQAhVIl1QKHaBCAt4Q6AEIHjAB#v=onepage&q=oswald terrible russian spanish&f=false

-- Tommy :sun

PS --  The torn-off part of the bottom of this handwritten note on a 6-page 1976 CIA memo is interesting in that the two words partially torn off look as though they could be "English" (on the left) and "Russian" (on the right).

If this guess is correct, it would suggest that the caller's main language was probably Spanish.https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=50273#relPageId=5&tab=page

Here's the 6-page memo, in full.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=50273#relPageId=1&tab=page