The Education Forum

DVP's New Master Video/Audio Index

Hi Pat,

There is positively no such footage in my CBS-TV collection. I have never heard about any such Lew Wood footage either. (Did CBS just happen to have a Carcano rifle handy on Nov. 22? LOL.)

But the name Lew Wood definitely rings a bell. I'm pretty sure his name is mentioned by somebody during the CBS assassination weekend coverage.

The notion that a cameraman could have filmed a "blood-soaked Trauma Room One" doesn't seem quite as far-fetched, though. And it's also not unreasonable to think that the CBS bigwigs would have wanted to keep any such bloody footage off the air right after JFK had died. It would have been a tasteless and tacky thing to do at that time to show film footage of the bloody room where JFK had died. So even if such footage did exist, I can certainly see the wisdom of any decision made by CBS to keep that type of material off the air immediately after Kennedy's death.

Edited by David Von Pein

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,You know I love your collection! I particularly like these phone calls. I think you should get more of those. As to be expected the audio is pretty scratchy at times.I had forgotten you were the source of the March and May phone between JFK and RFK where JFK refers to his CIA appointee John Mc Cone as behaving like a "horses ass" and how he's using his public statements to embarrass the administration.

There are a number of good LBJ conversations, particularly with RFK, such as the the classic one where RFK mentions to LBJ that he suspects that Hoover is spreading rumors to LBJ that RFK wants to overthrow the government at 1:32. I know this was the low hanging fruit at one point. and it's hard to find gems.

You're a great fan of old MSM, I was watching it there right along side you.. At this point, I'd suggest exploring more the interpersonal interaction  in the communications between any of the 60's political, governmental icons. I think that can generate a lot of interest.. Anyway, congratulations on consolidating your work!

Here's a rare item that a very nice person named Kevin Lorusso sent to me out of a clear blue sky about a year ago. (He has sent me several pieces of rare assassination-related radio coverage, for which I am grateful.)

This is from the Westinghouse radio coverage from Sunday, November 24, 1963. It includes the rarely-heard complete eulogies to the late President Kennedy delivered by Mike Mansfield, Earl Warren, and John McCormack. I added the photos to complement the audio....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2ERm-cucsE0a1p3VVIxSEw2RzA/view

Edited by David Von Pein

WFAA LIVE - Coverage at 59min19sec. Kennedy was shot from the bushes from the parking lot ... they got it right an hour after the assassination ... congraz. 

WFAA Coverage at 59min18.se. KENNEDY SHOT FROM THE BUSHES PARKINGLOT.png  

Here is the link to the pic posted above: go th 58. min 30 sec. I think it is newsman Jay Watson, who pointed out the location, where JFK was hit in the head and the location of the sniper,  which did the fatal head shot: behind the bushes, from the parking-lot. This was broadcasted live about 1h 30 min (ca) after the murder, Nov 22. 1963 by WFAA-TV Dallas. 

KK

KK

Edited by Karl Kinaski

14 hours ago, David Von Pein said:

Hi Pat,

There is positively no such footage in my CBS-TV collection. I have never heard about any such Lew Wood footage either. (Did CBS just happen to have a Carcano rifle handy on Nov. 22? LOL.)

But the name Lew Wood definitely rings a bell. I'm pretty sure his name is mentioned by somebody during the CBS assassination weekend coverage.

The notion that a cameraman could have filmed a "blood-soaked Trauma Room One" doesn't seem quite as far-fetched, though. And it's also not unreasonable to think that the CBS bigwigs would have wanted to keep any such bloody footage off the air right after JFK had died. It would have been a tasteless and tacky thing to do at that time to show film footage of the bloody room where JFK had died. So even if such footage did exist, I can certainly see the wisdom of any decision made by CBS to keep that type of material off the air immediately after Kennedy's death.

FWIW, Wood's story was that either he or Dan Rather (I forget which) got the Carcano from a pawn shop and that they marched the rifle right into the building to see if anyone would stop them, and that no one did. I suspect he's confusing Rather's re-enactment of carrying the rifle around in a bag for the '67 special with something they did or attempted to do right after the shooting. (That's the problem with interviews conducted nearly fifty years after an event.)

In either case, Brinkley should have known better than to present such a sketchy memory as fact.

Additional Assorted Miscellany....

On June 8, 1962, at the White House:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0KFei3W7bGOeWUtV3hKOVUzeUk/view

On the same day, Juan Marichal pitched against Bob Gibson in this baseball game:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0CWGpD0zVmCdTljcTVCQVpSd00/view

Among the great players who participated in the above game at St. Louis....

Willie Mays, Stan Musial, Curt Flood, Orlando Cepeda, Willie McCovey, Ken Boyer, and the aforementioned Marichal and Gibson.

And Harry Caray and Jack Buck in the radio booth.

As Harry would say: Holy Cow, what a lineup!

Edited by David Von Pein

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...