The Education Forum

Altgens 6, a different view

John Butler

What shadow from the front bumper? I'm talking about what looks like an obviously oversized back of the tire compared to the rest of it. But don't mind me. I'm apparently the only person here (besides John Butler, who thinks it's an alteration) who doesn't understand what he sees.

Edited by Ron Ecker

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, John Butler said:

David Andrews,

The front tire is a composite image.  The last thing I put up on the Marie Muchmore post has information on what I see in Altgens 5.

Rather than go over that again please go to that post and read it and tell me what you think.

John:

there may be a natural explanation for the apparently disproportionate shape of the front tire. The limo has just turned onto Houston street and the driver wanted to straighten the car which might appear to him to be too much to the west, and so he mildly and for a short moment turned the wheel to the right. This caused the front tire, in contrast to the rear tire, to be orientated more along the axis of the camera lens. Therefore, we see more of the back part of the front tire than, the front part of this tire is hidden.

I have added some light to see the contours of this tire better. Please note the shadow at a spot where the tire touches the road; the shadow is cast by the tire itself. The rest of tire appears normal to me. 

Also, what would be the purpose in altering the appearance of the front tire?

pneu.jpg

4 hours ago, Lance Payette said:

I am no more than a layman looking at this the same way I'd look at a photo of my grandmother, but it certainly appears to me that what we are seeing is a perfectly normal tire together with a shadow from the front bumper or at least the front part of the Continental.  My point is simply that if you eliminate the distracting shadow, the front tire looks exactly like the rear tire.  I realize this is not as much fun as what John is suggesting - but who am I going to believe, John or my lying eyes?

I agree with Lance.In 63 I doubt those involved in the JFK Assassination would have known we would have internet access,nor the modern means to view images.I can see no reason to micro manage stuff to that degree.

10 minutes ago, Malcolm Ward said:

I agree with Lance.In 63 I doubt those involved in the JFK Assassination would have known we would have internet access,nor the modern means to view images.I can see no reason to micro manage stuff to that degree.

It doesn't matter what someone knew or didn't know in 1963. I would like to know what brand of tire it is, so I would know not to buy one.

One of the points I tried to make in the Marie Muchmore post is something may have happened at the intersection of Main and Houston.  It is an area that bears more scrutiny.  I'm almost tempted to believe Bonnie Ray Williams when he said that her heard two shots when the president's vehicle turned onto Houston from Main Street.

The Warren Commission thought Bonnie Ray Williams was a great witness.  They believed him.  Why can't I?

It is suspicious at the least.

Come on guys.  Pay attention.  Altgens 5 was a topic for the Marie Muchmore post.  We are now on Altgens 6 which has some interesting things In it.  How about those painted shadows?

I'll have to apologize here.  My rather bleak and dreary thoughts on the assassination in Marie Muchmore turned people off.  And, they skipped over the brief presentation on Altgens 5.

15 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

@Bill Miller doesnt your explanation assume that the people making the alternations have the conventional tools that were available in 1963. if the Z-film was altered at Hawkeye, wouldnt they have more sophisticated equipment/techniques. I dont know the answer. just asking the question. 

In the comparison above I have removed the shadow below the tire(On the left) and used an inverted image from Alrgens6(On the right to compare it with. That is followed by a gif of the original image contrasted against the 'shadow removed' image. It looks like the shadow is creating the cut out notch effect. The line of the tire after the photoshop looks a bit too straight but overall it looks pretty convincing, the shadow is the cause of the notch.

Here is a single photo to compare tire tread size. The image on the right is again from Altgens 6 inverted.

Edited by Chris Bristow

6 hours ago, Lawrence Schnapf said:

@Bill Miller doesnt your explanation assume that the people making the alternations have the conventional tools that were available in 1963. if the Z-film was altered at Hawkeye, wouldnt they have more sophisticated equipment/techniques. I dont know the answer. just asking the question. 

Considering that Zapruder kept in his possession the first generation copy made within hours of the shooting - it took altering the film off the table right out of the gate. As in the case of Altgen's 6 - Ike kept his film with him until handing it off to be processed and within the hour it was seen on the AP wire if I remember correctly. In 1963, they didn't have computers like we do today where manipulations can be done in short order. The alterations would have called for lab time and working with film the old fashion way. 8MM and 35MM have different film grain patterns, so any two mixing of the patterns would be detected by an expert. And because Kodachrome II color film was created for outdoor exposure and my research has told me that exposure with real sunlight vs artificial gives tow different distinct appearances. I shared the Life original image to the MPI version to demonstrate the difference.

Chris,

Thanks for the tire images. What still doesn't look right to me is the tread on the back of the tire. It doesn't look circular enough, it looks like the tread meets the pavement at too downward an angle. But I'll let it go as I'm now tired of this subject.

There are suspicious things about the Main and Houston intersection at the time of the motorcade.  The Patsy Paschall film shows the presidential vehicle until it nears the intersection then jumps over to Elm Street.  The same thing happens as the presidential limousine approaches the Court Record building.  8 films skip over that area.  In Elsie Dorman the figures in the limousine are blacked out or darkened to incomprehension at the beginning of the film when the vehicle moves onto Houston Street. 

I suspect Altgens 5 and others are attempts to show nothing happening here, move on.  I mentioned Bonnie Ray Williams earlier.  Here's a fantasy

Imagine you are a lawyer and you have Bonnie Ray Williams on the witness stand.  It could happen like this.

Lawyer:  Now, Bonnie we are only interested in the truth.

Bonnie:  Yes, Sir

Lawyer:  What is it, Bonnie?  Did you hear two shots when the president's vehicle turned onto Houston from Main or, did you hear gunfire when the limousine turned into Elm Street from Houston Street or, did you hear 3 shots sometime after the president's vehicle passed your position?

Bonnie:  Uh, Uh....

It's hard for me to believe Bonnie Ray Williams but, the Warren Commission did.  Bonnie and Harold Norman were their star witnesses.  Junior Jarmen, who was with Williams and Norman, blew up in their faces.

Edited by John Butler

3 hours ago, John Butler said:

Here's a fantasy

Imagine you are a lawyer and you have Bonnie Ray Williams on the witness stand.  It could happen like this.

Lawyer:  Now, Bonnie we are only interested in the truth.

Bonnie:  Yes, Sir

Lawyer:  What is it, Bonnie?  Did you hear two shots when the president's vehicle turned onto Houston from Main or, did you hear gunfire when the limousine turned into Elm Street from Houston Street or, did you hear 3 shots sometime after the president's vehicle passed your position?

Bonnie:  Uh, Uh....

Objection: Badgering

Judge: Sustained.

;)