The Education Forum

"You're Not Under Arrest"

Croy and Westbrook look like they're up to something...

5982548561c06_CroyKenneth.png.6446f5101c0d8475f20a5508bebbbc98.png

Westbrook behaves very unPersonnel Captain-like....  and does not even think to call the Tippits to tell them the news... they hear it on the TV.

Croy claims he was the first on the Tippit scene and only Markham is there, hysterical over what she saw.
Tippit was being loaded into the ambulance at the time he arrived, according to Croy

Keep at it Steve...    https://statick2k-5f2f.kxcdn.com/images/pdf/JosephsPistol.pdf  might give some insight to Westbrook who was part of a second group of men who attended to Tippit's murder weapon.

John A and I came to the conclusion that Westbrook and Croy may have been in  that 2nd police car that backed its way up the driveway to the alley way between 10th and Jefferson.  Mrs. Holan lived directly across the street and tells of the 2nd cop car with 2 men in it... on egetting out, looking at Tippit after he was shot and getting back into the car, backing up and leaving by the alley.

Croy was able to get to the scene amazingly fast....

Aerial view of Tippit murder scene  with annotations - red - smaller.jpg

Edited by David Josephs

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/17/2017 at 7:20 AM, Steve Thomas said:

The account of T.A. Hutson is very interesting.

Ray Hawkins and T.A. Hutson both participated in the apprehension of Lee Oswald.

Ray Hawkins call sign was 211

T.A. Hutson call sign was 284

J.D. Tippit is shot. Multiple units respond. A search of the houses in the vicinity is undertaken. The search of the houses proves fruitless. A suspect is spotted at the Library. Multiple units respond.

Sometime between the search of the houses and the sighting of a suspect at the Library, Hawkins and Hutson make a stop at a Mobile Gas Station at 10th and Beckley to make a phone call, supposedly in response from a request from Dispatch to call in.

I do not find any reference to this phone call in the Dispatch tapes.

Mr. HUTSON. We proceeded west on 10th Street to Beckley, and we pulled into the Mobil gas station at Beckley and 10th Street.
Mr. BELIN. That is a Mobil gas station?
Mr. HUTSON. Yes.
Mr. BELIN. All right.
Mr. HUTSON. And Officer Ray Hawkins and Officer Baggett went inside of the Mobil gas station. And I am not positive, but I think they used the telephone to call in.
I am not positive, but I believe they gave us a call for us to call. I mean their number to call in.

I searched through the 1961 Dallas City Directory, and it does not show a Mobil gas station at 10th and Beckley.

According to the 1961 Dallas City Directory:

10th and Beckley is the dividing line numbering the streets running north and south, and streets running east and west.

On the northwest corner of that intersection is the Cliff Temple Baptist Church Sunday School Bldg.

The northeast corner of that intersection is now a parking lot.

103 N. Beckley Ave. = Walker's Texaco Service Station

Walker, Reagan L. Walker. Walker's Texaco Service Station 103 N. Beckley Ave.

10th west from Beckley = 109 W. 10th is the Debrocque Appts.

According to Google Maps, 109 W. 10th is now a bus station

121 – 126 W. 10th is the Cliff Temple Baptist Church and Annex

10th east from Beckley = 101 E. 10th is the YMCA Oak Cliff Branch

102 E. 10th was the Dunnigan H O Service Station

Dunnigan, Howard O. Dunnigan H O Service Station 102 E. 10th.  Spouse Thelma L. Thelma owned Thelma's Beauty Salon. home address and address of beauty shop: 2930 W. Jefferson Blvd.

102 E. 10th is now F&W Auto Sales tel. 946-5504 Used Car Sales. It appears run down and abandoned.

This raises several possibilities:

1) Hutson's account of a stop at a Mobil gas station so Hawkins could make a phone call was totally fabricated. There is no reference to this phone call in the Dispatch tapes, nor do Baggett or Hawkins reference it in their after-action reports or in Hawkins' WC testimony;

2) Hutson mistook Walker's Texaco Station or Dunnigan's Service Station as a Mobil station;

3) The possible involvement of one or more people at either the Walker Texaco station or Dunnigan's Service Station that has never come to light, that Hutson tried to hide by mislabeling it as a Mobil station;

4) something that I haven't thought of.

It's all very curious.

Steve Thomas

On 8/3/2017 at 7:28 AM, Steve Thomas said:

I searched through the 1961 Dallas City Directory, and it does not show a Mobil gas station at 10th and Beckley.

I honestly don't know what's going on here. Hutson told the WC:
Mr. HUTSON. I exited off Jefferson and went to the 400 block of East Jefferson Boulevard and began a search of the two-story house behind 10th Street where the officer had been shot.
Mr. BELIN. All right.
Mr. HUTSON. And after we searched this area, I got in the squad car with Officer Ray Hawkins, who was driving, and Officer Baggett was riding in the back seat.
Mr. BELIN. Then what did you do?
Mr. HUTSON. We proceeded west on 10th Street to Beckley, and we pulled into the Mobil gas station at Beckley and 10th Street.
Mr. BELIN. That is a Mobil gas station?
Mr. HUTSON. Yes.

There was no Mobil gas station at 10th and Beckley, and you can't drive west on 10th from Patton. 10th St. dead ends at Patton, and doesn't pick up again until you get to Beckley.

In the picture on the left, you are standing in the intersection of 10th and Patton looking west down 10th. It dead ends. The picture on the right shows this street layout.

What in the world was Hutson talking about?

Edited by Steve Thomas

Steve, when I was following another thread of yours, I was looking into this. I found that 10th did, at the time did pass through Patton at least to Crawford and possibly beyond to Becky. I wasn't following this same story you are following now so I don't recall making mental notes beyond Crawford. 

Edit, about a third of the way down you can see that tenth used to pass through Patton.

Edited by Michael Clark

11 hours ago, Michael Clark said:

Steve, when I was following another thread of yours, I was looking into this. I found that 10th did, at the time did pass through Patton at least to Crawford and possibly beyond to Becky. I wasn't following this same story you are following now so I don't recall making mental notes beyond Crawford. 

Edit, about a third of the way down you can see that tenth used to pass through Patton.

Michael,

Thank you. You're right.

If you go to Google Maps and take a look at the street view south down Crawford between 9th and Jefferson, you can see that they turned 10th St. into a little alley running between Patton and at least as far as Storey. Maybe back in '63, 10th did run as far as Beckley. I'm not sure what that building is on the east side of 10th and Beckley looking east down 10th, but comparing that now to the City Directory in 1961;  between expanding that Adamson High School grounds on 9th,  it looks like they eliminated a bunch of apartment buildings too. The whole idea of eliminating three whole blocks of a paved street just kind of threw me there.

Steve Thomas

5 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Michael,

Thank you. You're right.

If you go to Google Maps and take a look at the street view south down Crawford between 9th and Jefferson, you can see that they turned 10th St. into a little alley running between Patton and at least as far as Storey. Maybe back in '63, 10th did run as far as Beckley. I'm not sure what that building is on the east side of 10th and Beckley looking east down 10th, but comparing that now to the City Directory in 1961;  between expanding that Adamson High School grounds on 9th,  it looks like they eliminated a bunch of apartment buildings too. The whole idea of eliminating three whole blocks of a paved street just kind of threw me there.

Steve Thomas

Steve, I noticed that I did not include my link. No matter, the same photo is in David Josephs post with the aerial photo on the top of this page. And, as you just said, you figured it out.