The Education Forum

A Couple of Real Gems from the "Harvey and Lee" Website

22 minutes ago, Ray Mitcham said:

Put the cane away, Thomas. In your correction of the note why did you bracket the "k" in the word "took" in the second sentence?

Well, I suppose to suggest that HARVEY intended to write the word "took" there, but since he was smoking some really heavy xxxx that day, that old Hungarian word for "l mean" kinda crept into his subconscious, and he wrote it down, instead!

What do you make of it, Master Mitcham?  

I mean, I mean, I mean, ..... given the fact that Oswald wasn't dyslexic or anything?

-- Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Thomas Graves said:

Well, I suppose to suggest that HARVEY intended to write the word "took" there, but since he was smoking some really heavy xxxx that day, that old Hungarian word for "l mean" kinda crept into his subconscious, and he wrote it down, instead!

What do you make of it, Master Mitcham?  

I mean, I mean, I mean, ..... given the fact that Oswald wasn't dyslexic or anything?

-- Tommy :sun

Looks like "took" to me in his hand written note. Which word foyou think he wrote?

7 minutes ago, Ray Mitcham said:

Looks like "took" to me in his hand written note. Which word foyou think he wrote?

Huh?

"Foyou"?!

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to contact a moderator now.  Using profane language on this here Forum is strictly prohibited.

Edited by Thomas Graves

On 4/29/2017 at 9:12 AM, Jim Hargrove said:

According to H&L critics, we're supposed to believe their opinions over the opinion of Yale University Slavic Language Department head Vladimir Petrov, who wrote that a letter supposedly written by Harvey Oswald was actually "written by a Russian with an imperfect knowledge of English."

Petrov.jpg?dl=0

And, of course, we're supposed to believe that, while reading Russian magazines with a Russian-English dictionary in his spare time in the Marine Corps, and while working full time in a factory in Minsk and taking no known language courses, Harvey Oswald learned to write Russian like this:

oswald.png?dl=0

And, of course, we're supposed to assume that the H&L critics know more about Harvey Oswald's Russian abilities than his friend George De Mohrenschildt, a Russian immigrant who wrote the following in his manuscript entitled "I AM A PATSY! I AM A PATSY":

Incidentally I never saw him interested in anything else except Russian
books and magazines . He said he didn't want to forget the language -
but it amazed me that he read such difficult writers like Gorki, Dostoevski,
Gogol, Tolstoi and Turgenieff - in Russian. As everyone knows Russian is
a complex language and he was supposed to have stayed in the Soviet Union
only a little over two years. He must have had some previous training and
that point had never been brought up by the Warren Committee - and it is
still puzzling to me. In my opinion Lee was a very bright person but not
a genius. He never mastered the English language yet he learned such a dif-
icult language! I taught Russian at all level in a large University, and
I never saw such a profficiency in the best senior students who constantly
listened to  Russian tapes and spoke to Russian friends . As a matter of
fact American-born instructors never mastered Russian spoken language as
well as Lee did.

DeMohren_Russian.jpg?dl=0

No doubt we're also supposed to believe the opinions of H&L critics over the opinions of other Russian immigrants around Dallas who met Harvey Oswald and shared their thoughts:

Natalie Ray was asked by Commission attorney Wesley Liebeler, "Did he (Oswald) speak to you in Russian?" Mrs. Ray replied, "Yes; just perfect; re­ally surprised me ... it's just too good speaking Russian for be such a short time, you know.... I said, 'How come you speak so good Russian? I been here so long and still don't speak very well English."

Mrs. Teofil (Anna) Meller was asked by Liebeler, "Do you think that his com­mand of the Russian language was better than you would expect for the period of time that he had spent in Russia?" Mrs. Meller replied, "Yes; absolutely better than I would expect."

Peter Gregory told Warren Commission Representative Gerald Ford, "I thought that Lee Oswald spoke (Russian) with a Polish accent, that is why I asked him if he was of Polish decent."

And on and on.  No doubt H&L critics want us to believe that Harvey Oswald's Russian fluency was a natural result of his self-study in the Marines and his two and a half years in the USSR, but I don't believe it, and I think a whole lot of people without an axe to grind in this debate won't believe it either.  And I haven't even mentioned above Harvey Oswald's obvious familiarity with the Russian language before he even "defected" to the Soviet Union.

Could we get back to the questions at hand?

Edited by Jim Hargrove

1 hour ago, Jim Hargrove said:

Could we get back to the questions at hand?

Jim,

Okay.

My conclusion:

Regarding just the syntax, grammar, and vocabulary that he used (i.e., excluding his spelling and punctuation shortcomings), your "Harvey" spoke and wrote better English than most college graduates.

How do you like *them* apples?

--  Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves