The Education Forum

Larry Crafard, employee of Ruby until 11-23-63

Crafard is interesting because of his sudden departure from Dallas, his story about  hitchhiking back to Michigan, and the fact the WC asked him so many questions. His is one of the longer interview sessions. To be exact, they asked him 3,972 questions.  (Walt Brown, The Warren Omission, p. 370)

Crafard left on the 23rd, which is the day after the JFK murder, but the day before Ruby shot Oswald. Therefore, what was the reason he left if Ruby had not been overtly involved yet?  His excuse was he left because he did not like Ruby's yelling at him, and his sister had not answered his last letter. (ibid)  Couldn't he have just called her or wired her to see if she was OK?

And although they said he looked like Oswald, and Ruth Paine said so also, most others say he did not.  For example, he had his front teeth pulled at the time.  (Michael Benson, Who's Who in the JFK Assasination, p. 90)

Edited by James DiEugenio

1 minute ago, James DiEugenio said:

Crafard is interesting because of his sudden departure from Dallas, his story about  hitchhiking back to Michigan, and the fact the WC asked him so many questions. His is one of the longer interview sessions. To be exact, they asked him 3,972 questions.

Crafard left on the 23rd, which is the day after the JFK murder, but the day before Ruby shot Oswald. Therefore, what was the reason he left if Ruby had not been overtly invoked yet?  His excuse was he left because his sister had not answered his last letter.  COuldn't he have just called her or wired her to see if she was OK?

And although they said he looked like Oswald, and so did Ruth Paine, most others say he did not.  For example, he had his form teeth pulled at the time.

He testifies that he quit his job because Jack yelled at him when he called Jack to ask if he could take some money to feed the dogs, IIRC.

Well, that is a good reason to hitchhike from Texas to Michigan over four days with seven bucks in you rocket, right?

3 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Well, that is a good reason to hitchhike from Texas to Michigan over four days with seven bucks in you rocket, right?

Works for me, after having been on a call for four hours, from 11 PM - 3 AM, the same night that the president has been assassinated, blocks from your home-and-workplace, from a stripper, who is calling about a job, but she plans to leave on a bus, first thing in the morning; then, on an hours worth of sleep, Jack calls wanting to take a ride with George Senator, to take some Polaroid pictures, and have some coffee, after stopping at the post office, and get back to the club before daylight.

Hey, if it works for the WC, it works for me...

Cheers,

Michael

• 8 months later...

BS.  He knew his life was in danger because of what he'd heard/seen previously a full 24 hours before Ruby shot Oswald.  That's why he left then.  His testimony is junk, obfuscation, blather. Coached, rehearsed, fluff to fill the Warren Omission volumes.  Seriously, try reading it in just a little depth.  So much mundane crap in it. 

15 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

BS.  He knew his life was in danger because of what he'd heard/seen previously a full 24 hours before Ruby shot Oswald.  That's why he left then.  His testimony is junk, obfuscation, blather. Coached, rehearsed, fluff to fill the Warren Omission volumes.  Seriously, try reading it in just a little depth.  So much mundane crap in it. 

There is almost nothing else out there on Crafard. Maybe nothing else. I was glad to see something.

13 hours ago, Michael Clark said:

And if your suggesting I read the testimony in depth, I have. I read it three times, along with Senator's officer Olson's and Kay Olson's. Along with Ruby's testimony it gives me the absolute creeps.

No I was not suggesting such.  I didn't read it in total but spent about 30 minutes scanning through it.  It just seems a little odd.  Both when he chose to leave so quickly with no notice and the depth of questioning on seemingly unrelated issues.  Yet, maybe I missed it in my skimming, but did they ever ask him "did you ever see Lee Oswald in the Carousel?". 

3 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

No I was not suggesting such.  I didn't read it in total but spent about 30 minutes scanning through it.  It just seems a little odd.  Both when he chose to leave so quickly with no notice and the depth of questioning on seemingly unrelated issues.  Yet, maybe I missed it in my skimming, but did they ever ask him "did you ever see Lee Oswald in the Carousel?". 

You are right on, Ron. It's all very odd. There is arguably a lot of back and forth about Oswald having been at the club. Most of it starts around p. 40 in this Mcadams text, the text is disjointed. P.40 is after the higher numbered pages.

Mr. GRIFFIN. We also discussed at lunch whether or not there you have any recollection of any connection between Ruby and Oswald, and you mentioned to me a statement that you heard made at one time. Would you tell us what that was?
Mr. CRAFARD. I believe that was the one I made just as we got out of the car.
Mr. GRIFFIN. That is right.

Mr. CRAFARD. If I recall the words, I said, I told you that I believe that before I left Dallas I had heard someone state that Oswald had been in the Carousel Club on at least one previous occasion, that I wasn't positive who had made the statement, that I believed that it was made before I left Dallas.
Mr. GRIFFIN. Did you indicate to me you had some idea?
Mr. CRAFARD. I thought it had been Andrew.
Mr. GRIFFIN. By that, you mean Andy Armstrong?
Mr. CRAFARD. Yes.
Mr. HUBERT. You say before you left Dallas?
Mr. CRAFARD. Yes.
Mr. HUBERT. What do you mean, before you left Dallas the last time?
Mr. CRAFARD. Before I left Dallas after the assassination.
Mr. HUBERT. You mean before you left Dallas on November 23?
Mr. CRAFARD. Yes. It seems to me that something had been said about Oswald being in the club, and I figured that probably it had been Andrew who said this because I had talked to him--been with him-- more than I had been with anybody else on that day.
Mr. HUBERT. Have you seen Andrew since?
Mr. CRAFARD. Only at the Ruby trial in Dallas.
Mr. HUBERT. Did you mention it to him, then?
Mr. CRAFARD. No; I hadn't even thought about it.
Mr. HUBERT. Did he talk to you about it then?
Mr. CRAFARD. No.
Mr. HUBERT. Well, now, this statement must have been made to you between 12:30 on the 22d and about really 5 or 6 o'clock in the afternoon of the 23d.
Mr. CRAFARD. That is right, sir.
Mr. HUBERT. You didn't see Andy after that, did you?
Mr. CRAFARD. I only saw Andy--I never saw Andy after the 22d, when President Kennedy was assassinated.
Mr. HUBERT. That is right. Andy woke you up, you all looked at TV, and then Jack came in and they all went off and you went to bed. 

Mr. CRAFARD. That is right.
Mr. HUBERT. Of course, you got up the next morning and talked to Ruby.
Mr. CRAFARD. Yes.
Mr. HUBERT. It wasn't Ruby who said that, was it?
Mr. CRAFARD. I don't believe so.
Mr. HUBERT. It wasn't George Senator who said it?
Mr. CRAFARD. No.
Mr. HUBERT. Did you see anybody else?
Mr. CRAFARD. No.
Mr. HUBERT. Did you talk to anybody else other than that girl on the phone?
Mr. CRAFARD. No.
Mr. HUBERT. She didn't mention it to you?
Mr. CRAFARD. No.
Mr. HUBERT. Who else could it be but Andy Armstrong?
Mr. CRAFARD. I said I believe I heard this statement had been made before I left Dallas, I am not positive that it was made before I left Dallas, I might have heard the statement afterwards, after I left Dallas or after I went back, but I believe I heard the statement before I left Dallas on the 23d.
Mr. HUBERT. If you did hear it before you left Dallas, it had to be Armstrong; isn't that right?
Mr. CRAFARD. Yes.
Mr. HUBERT. There is no question about that?
Mr. CRAFARD. No.
Mr. HUBERT. Because you didn't speak to anybody else that you could have gotten it from?
Mr. CRAFARD. No.
Mr. HUBERT. Now, you think it is possible that you read it in the paper?
Mr. CRAFARD. No; I don't believe so. I didn't read the papers on it too much. I had a couple of the papers----
Mr. HUBERT. Do you think you got it over the radio or TV or any other news media?

Mr. CRAFARD. No.
Mr. HUBERT. Your thought is that you got the statement that Ruby--that Oswald had been in the Carousel Club from a person?
Mr. CRAFARD. Yes.
Mr. HUBERT. Now, if it was after you left Dallas, can you help us as to what person that might have been?
Mr. CRAFARD. No; I cannot.

Mr. HUBERT. Now, I come to, in effect, the question I asked you this morning, Larry. I don't want you to feel bound by what you said at another time unless it was the truth.
Mr. CRAFARD. I realize that.
Mr. HUBERT. I suggest to you that the real motivation for leaving Dallas was that you had found out that Oswald had been in the club, and that the matter was getting a little too thick for you and you wanted out of it.

Mr. CRAFARD. No.
Mr. HUBERT. That is not true?
Mr. CRAFARD. No, sir; that is not true.

Mr. CRAFARD. That is right, if I wasn't in Dallas. I believe that I heard the statement before I left Dallas on the 23d.
Mr. HUBERT. That being the case, unless you want to tell us some other things, it had to be Armstrong.
Mr. CRAFARD. That is right. That is all I can--I can't say for sure who it was, and I can't even say for sure that I heard the statement before I left Dallas. But I believe that it was.

Mr. CRAFARD. I know definitely that I was told by somebody that Oswald had been in the club, but I haven't given that fact too much thought until we was talking this afternoon during the lunch break there, and it seemed to me the statement had been made to me before I left Dallas.

12 hours ago, David Josephs said:

Some files I had

5a26b8cda74b3_OswaldandCrafordce451.jpg.8c64c2502d538fc758442d013f7427c2.jpg

5a26b8f5e6cee_CrafordFBIinterview-wasasleepallmorning.thumb.jpg.e41a850925e6eda871dfdf975be1580e.jpg

Hi David.  An interesting aside I stumbled across in reference to you much appreciated picture.

From "Contract on America', David Scheim, 1989.  Pg. 579 end notes referencing pg. 169.  "There is no possibility that Crafard could have been mistaken for Oswald since Crafard "had no front teeth", "was creepy", "looked like a bum", "and had sandy hair" as witnesses described him.  (CE 2403: Karen Carlin Exhibit 5318), whereas Oswald was  good looking ,had all of his front teeth, and had brown hair (WR 126; CE 3002).

The first time I read this tonight I stopped, looked out the window and thought "huh".  Then I Laughed Out Loud.