The Education Forum

Poll: Was Nosenko A Defector, A Plant, Or Had He Been Kidnapped By The Evil, Evil CIA?

Just now, Chris Newton said:

I believe that Angleton was a key figure in the plot to to assassinate JFK and set up Oswald as the fall guy. See John Newman's Oswald and the CIA.

I am therefore taking that one step further and speculating that "what if" Angleton, himself was the "mole" that Tennent Bagely was convinced was still operating undiscovered at the highest levels of the CIA.

Yes?

And?

--  Tommy :sun

PS  What does Newman make of the fact that Duran and Azcue collectively described the guy who did or did not visit the Cuban Consulate on 9/27/63 in such a way as to point a finger at KGB officer Nikolai Leonov?

Edited by Thomas Graves

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Thomas Graves said:

And?

well... thinking and typing at the same time here...  If Angleton was a double agent...

... and he was involved in planning the assassination and recruiting co-conspirators, one could make the argument that the KGB was involved in the plot.

... it might explain why he wasn't able to "catch" his high echelon mole despite the hunt.

... a motive could emerge that would be consistent with current KGB objectives.. sewing discord and mistrust about US institutions and government among the general populace.

On 5/9/2017 at 0:20 PM, Chris Newton said:

well... thinking and typing at the same time here...  If Angleton was a double agent...

... and he was involved in planning the assassination and recruiting co-conspirators, one could make the argument that the KGB was involved in the plot.

... it might explain why he wasn't able to "catch" his high echelon mole despite the hunt.

... a motive could emerge that would be consistent with current KGB objectives.. sewing discord and mistrust about US institutions and government among the general populace.

Okay.

Hmm.

Did Angleton do any real damage to the KGB or GRU after 1953 or so?

Edited by Thomas Graves

per his wikipedia page:

In time, Angleton's zeal and paranoia came to be regarded as counter-productive, if not destructive, for the CIA. In the wake of his departure, counter-intelligence efforts were undertaken with far less enthusiasm. Some believe this overcompensation responsible for oversights which allowed Aldrich Ames, Robert Hanssen and many others to compromise the CIA, the FBI and other agencies long after Angleton's resignation. Although the American intelligence community quickly bounced back from the embarrassments of the Church Committee, it found itself uncharacteristically incapable of policing itself after Angleton's departure.

24 minutes ago, Thomas Graves said:

PS  What does Newman make of the fact that Duran and Azcue collectively described the guy who did or did not visit the Cuban Consulate on 9/27/63 in such a way as to point a finger at KGB officer Nikolai Leonov?

“According to the transcript of the interrogation, Duran told the story about Oswald's visits on Friday, September 27, and stated flatly, "he never called again."" Her statement undermined the Saturday transcript wherein she and Oswald were supposed to have placed a call to the Soviet Consulate. Her statement was not repeated in the Warren Report, which stated that after the Friday altercation, "Oswald contacted the Russian and Cuban Embassies again during his stay in Mexico.' 14' The evidence given for this false statement in the Warren Report is "confidential information.”

Excerpt From: John Newman. “Oswald and the CIA: The Documented Truth About the Unknown Relationship Between the U.S. Government and the Alleged Killer of JFK.”

Newman has a whole chapter on this and believes that the CIA lied to the WC concerning Duran and Azcue's statements and interogation

1 hour ago, Chris Newton said:

“According to the transcript of the interrogation, Duran told the story about Oswald's visits on Friday, September 27, and stated flatly, "he never called again."" Her statement undermined the Saturday transcript wherein she and Oswald were supposed to have placed a call to the Soviet Consulate. Her statement was not repeated in the Warren Report, which stated that after the Friday altercation, "Oswald contacted the Russian and Cuban Embassies again during his stay in Mexico.' 14' The evidence given for this false statement in the Warren Report is "confidential information.”

Excerpt From: John Newman. “Oswald and the CIA: The Documented Truth About the Unknown Relationship Between the U.S. Government and the Alleged Killer of JFK.”

Newman has a whole chapter on this and believes that the CIA lied to the WC concerning Duran and Azcue's statements and interogation

Chris,

What does this have to do with my question? -- "What does Newman make of the fact that Duran and Azcue collectively described the guy who did or did not visit the Cuban Consulate on 9/27/63 in such a way as to point a finger at KGB officer Nikolai Leonov?"

5 minutes ago, Thomas Graves said:

What does this have to do with my question?

It doesn't. Sorry. I think Newman addresses it this way, (I'm paraphrasing), "why was her testimony about the description ignored by the WC?".

8 hours ago, Chris Newton said:

It doesn't. Sorry. I think Newman addresses it this way, (I'm paraphrasing), "why was her testimony about the description ignored by the WC?".

Chris,

It indicates that the CIA and the Warren Commission were in cahoots, huh?

Edited by Thomas Graves

1 hour ago, Chris Newton said:

Dulles.

Chris,

So, Dulles / Angleton told the Mexican Police to extract a description-of-Oswald statement out of Duran which would point the finger at KGB officer Nikolai Leonov.  Azcue, who wasn't tortured by the Mexican Police but, according to Trejo, was shaking in his boots, eventually (At what point -- in 1978 or was it much earlier? I'll have to ask Brancato, I guess.) fleshed-out the Leonov description.

Then Dulles / Angleton(?) had Duran's "short, blond-haired, blue or green eyes" statement excluded from the Warren Commission Report.

Have I got that right so far?

Edited by Thomas Graves