The Education Forum

JDF:Flashpoint the movie

Michael Clark

Who has seen this movie? What did you think?

I saw it on HBO, back in 1984 or 5. I was 15 years old and it struck me very deeply. I knew that there was something messed-up with the official story. My parents never discussed it; slightly to the point where it's non-discussion made it suspicious to me. I was a curious kid; curious about History and Politics. I know that I watched too much TV with my dad. He never watched anything that was of any interest to anyone but himself. So, as a child, I watched to much news, politics, war documentaries, and golf. I hate golf.

In the movie, Flashpoint, you get no clue that the movie is about the JFK Assassination until the end. I remember being shocked, and wondering if I should have been watching it at all. That is an indication about my sensibilities regarding the subject, as a 15 year old, in 1984. It took some time but thereafter I slowly opened-up to the subject as something that could be discussed.

Anyway, I, for the first time since 1984, recently watched the movie. I think it is a great movie.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Michael Clark

• 2 weeks later...

At 22:00  "you pick up wetbacks in chihuaja, you back them in anything on wheels,

You promise them freedom and you give them death,  you are an assassin, you are a butcher!"

Not much has changed in 33 years, Rip Torn is great, great movie.

• 3 months later...

Michael,

Yes, this is one of my favorites. In fact, for years I'd invite friends to watch as ruse to peek there interest in the assassination. It worked every time.

18 hours ago, H.L Arledge said:

Michael,

Yes, this is one of my favorites. In fact, for years I'd invite friends to watch as ruse to peek there interest in the assassination. It worked every time.

Thanks for the reply, I am glad someone else also appreciates this movie.

One scene, one line always stuck with me, and weighed heavily on my politico-social justice development when I was a teen. It is the scene where Kurtwood Smith is trying to break down Kris Kristofferson, out at the landing strip...@48:10

"Every morning I get up and I thank God for drugs and murder and subversion, because without them, we'd all be out of a job."

That scene created a cynicism in me that never went away. It was a formative awakening for me, for better or for worse, probably the latter.

You are so right about the cynicism it leaves you with.

I'm in Louisiana. Often, we get one of those rain storms where you barely see the road. Looking through the wipers, many times over the years I remembered the scene from the movie where the vehicle was lost.