The Education Forum

Who was the nurse collecting the TRUE bullet falling from Connally's thigh?

1 hour ago, David Von Pein said:

The problem for you there is ----- John Connally NEVER said anything about any hearing any whole bullet falling from his stretcher in ANY of the many interviews he gave after the assassination. How can you possibly explain that, Bob? Was Connally part of the cover-up too? (Which would be an odd claim, given the fact that Connally was always adamant about his belief that the SBT was a pile of crap.)

I explained that to you before, David. Connally always realized this was a conspiracy, but told at least one friend that he never said that because the country needed to move on. Had he testified about the bullet, it would have caused a storm of controversy and turmoil,  with the FBI probably attacking his claims.

So he waited until he was literally on his death bed to come forward and the nation was at a point where most people knew this was a conspiracy anyway. By then, no harm would come.

There is no reason for you and I to quibble about that David, since the statements of Wade and Nolan make it a moot point. It is their corroborations that settle the issue. If Connally's claim was all there was, I would never have bothered with this thing.

Edited by Robert Harris
Needed to add information.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert Harris said:

"So he waited until he was literally on his death bed to come forward and the nation was at a point where most people knew this was a conspiracy anyway. By then, no harm would come."

Robert I am not sure what you are saying here. David's point was that there was never any statement from John Connally about hearing a bullet falling from his stretcher. Are you suggesting that towards the end of life John Connally did indeed mention to friends that he had heard a bullet falling from his stretcher? 

James.

12 minutes ago, James R Gordon said:

Robert Harris said:

"So he waited until he was literally on his death bed to come forward and the nation was at a point where most people knew this was a conspiracy anyway. By then, no harm would come."

Robert I am not sure what you are saying here. David's point was that there was never any statement from John Connally about hearing a bullet falling from his stretcher. Are you suggesting that towards the end of life John Connally did indeed mention to friends that he had heard a bullet falling from his stretcher? 

James.

James, I'm a bit confused here. Why are you asking me if I said something that you know, I didn't say.:rolleyes:

I have no idea who Connally may have told about this, other than Nellie, who told Herskowitz that he told her.

If he did tell anyone, he undoubtedly insisted that they not repeat it.

I answered your last question, in the paragraph that you snipped.

"I explained that to you before, David. Connally always realized this was a conspiracy, but told at least one friend that he never said that because the country needed to move on. Had he testified about the bullet, it would have caused a storm of controversy and turmoil,  with the FBI probably attacking his claims."

You have always taken an adversarial position to my analyses, on various issues. That' s fine of course, but would you be willing to answer a few questions for me?

Robert.

I have no idea why you should be confused. It was your words I was quoting. The post by DVP - that you answered and from whichI  took a quote by you - pointed out that Connally never said that he heard a bullet fall from his stretcher.

My post simply posted out that what you said - in the excerpt I posted - was oblique. It was not clear whether this comment you made referred to Connally stating he heard the bullet fall and/or that Connally made it clear that he believed in a conspiracy. If the latter, I have no idea why you should identify points towards the end of his life. Although John Connally never used the word conspiracy in the 60's and 70's by determined sticking to his position that he was never hit by the same bullet that caused JFK's throat wound he was clearly supporting a conspiracy. 

2 hours ago, James R Gordon said:

Robert.

I have no idea why you should be confused. It was your words I was quoting. The post by DVP - that you answered and from whichI  took a quote by you - pointed out that Connally never said that he heard a bullet fall from his stretcher.

My post simply posted out that what you said - in the excerpt I posted - was oblique. It was not clear whether this comment you made referred to Connally stating he heard the bullet fall and/or that Connally made it clear that he believed in a conspiracy. If the latter, I have no idea why you should identify points towards the end of his life. Although John Connally never used the word conspiracy in the 60's and 70's by determined sticking to his position that he was never hit by the same bullet that caused JFK's throat wound he was clearly supporting a conspiracy. 

James, you asked me,

"Are you suggesting that towards the end of life John Connally did indeed mention to friends that he had heard a bullet falling from his stretcher?"

I never suggested that he told his friends about that. Why would you ask me if I did? I have no idea who he told about it.

What he did was describe that incident in his autobiography.

To clarify, I said Connally always realized this was a conspiracy, but told at least one friend that he never said that because the country needed to move on.

What I meant was that he realized this was a conspiracy but didn't go public with that belief because he thought the country needed to move on. His statements about the early shots did not mean conspiracy. He said he wasn't hit by the first shot, but also testified that he never saw JFK then, so he had no way to be sure Kennedy was hit by a different bullet then he was. Like you, I have never heard him publicly state that JFK was the victim of a conspiracy.

We can argue all day about his motives. But as I told David, the statements of Wade, Nolan and the nurse who recovered that bullet, settles the matter. Bell and Stinson added further corroboration. Have you watched Nolan's interview yet? It's important.

6 hours ago, David Von Pein said:

The problem for you there is ----- John Connally NEVER said anything about any hearing any whole bullet falling from his stretcher in ANY of the many interviews he gave after the assassination. How can you possibly explain that, Bob? Was Connally part of the cover-up too? (Which would be an odd claim, given the fact that Connally was always adamant about his belief that the SBT was a pile of crap.)

From John Connally's autobiography entitled "In History's shadow"

"..the most curious discovery of all took place when they rolled me off the stretcher, and onto the examining table. A metal object fell to the floor, with a click no louder than a wedding band. The nurse picked it up and slipped it into her pocket. It was the bullet from my body, the one that passed though my back, chest and wrist and worked itself loose from my thigh.

There was enormous significance to that scrap of metal, but I can't be certain how many years later I understood the importance of it. I have always believed that three bullets found their mark. What happened in the hospital demonstrated how easily a bullet could have been swept aside and lost.."
Edited by Ray Mitcham

That is what I thought.

Now, I am assuming this was written by Mickey H.  Right?

Is Bob saying that Nellie told him about it and she got it from JBC?

7 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

That is what I thought.

Now, I am assuming this was written by Mickey H.  Right?

Is Bob saying that Nellie told him about it and she got it from JBC?

No. John Connally told Herskowitz and his statement was put in the book, verbatim. 

I interviewed Herskowitz, who told me that Nellie said her husband told her about it, within a few days after the assassination.

BTW, did you watch Nolan's interview, which I linked a few posts back? The man was an excellent, clear-headed witness and he recalled a lot details regarding the nurse he encountered and the bullet he received from her.

Edited by Robert Harris

Connally never believed the WR as he told author Doug Thompson.  And as Bob notes, he shut up about it because he felt it would be bad for the country if he made his beliefs public.

And that book does seem like a kind of deathbed purge since it was published several months after JBC died.

Edited by James DiEugenio

10 hours ago, Robert Harris said:

...the statements of Wade, Nolan and the nurse who recovered that bullet settles the matter.

It doesn't "settle" the matter at all. Far from it, in fact.

Why?

Because the bullet that you, Bob Harris, thinks exists is NOWHERE IN EVIDENCE.

The things Bob Harris refers to as being "settled" are really anything but (including Bob's "Z285" theory).

Edited by David Von Pein

2 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

It doesn't "settle" the matter at all. Far from it, in fact.

Why?

Because the bullet that you, Bob Harris, thinks exists is NOWHERE IN EVIDENCE.

The things Bob Harris think are "settled" are really anything but (including Bob's "Z285" theory).

Let's review your "logic", David.

Zeek the Sneak, steals a million dollars worth of diamonds.

But wait!! There was no crime because the diamonds are not in evidence:wacko:

8 hours ago, Ray Mitcham said:

From John Connally's autobiography entitled "In History's shadow"

"..the most curious discovery of all took place when they rolled me off the stretcher, and onto the examining table. A metal object fell to the floor, with a click no louder than a wedding band. The nurse picked it up and slipped it into her pocket. It was the bullet from my body, the one that passed though my back, chest and wrist and worked itself loose from my thigh. ...

That's the problem, Ray. It's in Connally's book (which apparently was only published after he died), but Connally never ONCE mentioned this incident in any of his public interviews (which seems kind of odd---wouldn't you agree?---since Connally was never shy about expressing his displeasure with the SBT), plus he provided this WC testimony, which totally contradicts his book....

ARLEN SPECTER -- "Do you know whether there was any bullet, or bullet fragments, that remained in your body or in your clothing as you were placed on the emergency stretcher at Parkland Hospital?"

JOHN B. CONNALLY -- "No."

Edited by David Von Pein

Another question David has not answered.

Why is it that Lt. Alexander of the DPD never turned over this supposed receipt to either the PD or the FBI? It would have been critical to maintaining the chain of custody, yet he kept it in his office instead of doing what he had done a thousand times before, when this kind of thing was sent to him.

Assuming he didn't have Alzheimer's, what is the most likely explanation?

That's right, he didn't pass it along because he knew it was bogus.