The Education Forum

Where's Ruth's couch?

If you look at the attached outside view of the home, it appears the chimney for the fireplace is near the peak of the roof. This would place the fireplace on the northwest corner of the East/West wall of the room visible over Mrs. Paine's right shoulder in the picture. Therefore, the couch would be on the North/South wall. If I am wrong, please let me know. Mrs. Paine's torso is facing South.

Ruth_Paine_Home.JPG

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Ty Carpenter said:

If you look at the attached outside view of the home, it appears the chimney for the fireplace is near the peak of the roof. This would place the fireplace on the northwest corner of the East/West wall of the room visible over Mrs. Paine's right shoulder in the picture. Therefore, the couch would be on the North/South wall. If I am wrong, please let me know. Mrs. Paine's torso is facing South.

Ruth_Paine_Home.JPG

Ty,

The living room has four walls. A north wall, a south wall, a west wall, and an east wall.

I guess you're saying the couch is on the east wall, which is what Chris believes, if I'm not mistaken.

ce430.jpg

--  Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

Yes, the West wall. I interpreted it that Chris was saying the wall running East/West, whereas I am saying it is on the wall running North/South, which I guess would be the far East wall.

Edited by Ty Carpenter
correction

7 minutes ago, Ty Carpenter said:

Yes, the West wall. I interpreted it that Chris was saying the wall running East/West, whereas I am saying it is on the wall running North/South, which I guess would be the far East wall.

Huh?

Did I say that Chris thinks the sofa is on the west wall?

Nope.

I said Chris thinks the sofa is on the east wall.

So what's with your "Yes"?

I'm confused.

-- Toomy :sun  

Edited by Thomas Graves

There is no fireplace in the Paine home that "Chimney" is either a stove exhaust or bathroom vent.

Unless someone can come up with testimony or a picture that shows a kitchen door (there ain't one) then that couch is on the East wall of the living room.

Ruth Paine's testimony is that the couch was on the EAST wall and the little desk secretary was on the NORTH wall on 11/09/63.

The picture I posted shows that same configuration on 11/23/63.

Chris, my post of a half-hour ago got buried quickly by a new page. In case you missed it, I’m copying it here:

"Chris, a couple of questions about the kitchen photo you posted a link to:

Could the doorway on the right be a sliding pocket door? It looks like the molding on the top might have a recess containing the hanging bracket. It also appears that the vertical molding might be revealing a pocket door. Do you think the lamp on the right in this photo is the same lamp we see in the living room photo in your first post.? Also, are we seeing a man’s legs and shoes next to Marina in this living room photo?"

19 minutes ago, Chris Newton said:

There is no fireplace in the Paine home that "Chimney" is either a stove exhaust or bathroom vent.

Unless someone can come up with testimony or a picture that shows a kitchen door (there ain't one) then that couch is on the East wall of the living room.

Ruth Paine's testimony is that the couch was on the EAST wall and the little desk secretary was on the NORTH wall on 11/09/63.

The picture I posted shows that same configuration on 11/23/63.

Dude Bro,

Which wall are you saying the couch is next to -- the east wall, the west wall, the north wall, or the south wall?

--  Tommy :sun

NEVER MIND.  MY BAD.

Edited by Thomas Graves

Just now, Thomas Graves said:

Which wall are you saying the couch is next to -- the east wall,

The couch is up against the EAST wall facing the WEST wall in the photo taken by Allan Grant of life magazine on 11/23/63.

The door shown to the left is the door that exits the living room to the east and goes into the bedroom corridor and gives access to the only bathroom in the house.

Just now, Chris Newton said:

The couch is up against the EAST wall facing the WEST wall in the photo taken by Allan Grant of life magazine on 11/23/63.

The door shown to the left is the door that exits the living room to the east and goes into the bedroom corridor and gives access to the only bathroom in the house.

Chris,

I GUESS YOU DIDN'T "REFRESH" MY POST LIKE I WARNED YOU TO DO (ON EVERYTHING I WRITE) IN A  PM  TO YOU A FEW DAYS AGO.  

(lol)

It's all good.

--  Toomby :sun

11 minutes ago, Tom Hume said:
Could the doorway on the right be a sliding pocket door? It looks like the molding on the top might have a recess containing the hanging bracket. It also appears that the vertical molding might be revealing a pocket door. Do you think the lamp on the right in this photo is the same lamp we see in the living room photo in your first post.? Also, are we seeing a man’s legs and shoes next to Marina in this living room photo?"

All good questions and yes, it could be a sliding pocket door. The "little desk secretary" and the "living room couch" have two possible configurations per Ruth Paine. They can be either on the NORTH wall or on the EAST wall. Her testimony is that they swapped places on these two walls. That means... the WEST wall is a non-starter and if the "little desk secretary" is shown in the picture I posted then the "little desk secretary" MUST BE on the NORTH wall as pictured.

21 minutes ago, Chris Newton said:

All good questions and yes, it could be a sliding pocket door. The "little desk secretary" and the "living room couch" have two possible configurations per Ruth Paine. They can be either on the NORTH wall or on the EAST wall. Her testimony is that they swapped places on these two walls. That means... the WEST wall is a non-starter and if the "little desk secretary" is shown in the picture I posted then the "little desk secretary" MUST BE on the NORTH wall as pictured.

"Could the doorway on the right be a sliding pocket door?" --  Tom Hume

Dear Tom,

Which photo (upper or lower) or drawing are you looking at?

Very confusing post, IMHO.

--  Toomby :sun