The Education Forum

Spring Day in Europe 2004

John Simkin

Dear colleagues :rolleyes:

Our school has just joined to the project Spring Day in Europe. We would like to ask you to fill in two documents. Please do it for us-just go to our website(we’ve just started to make it so it isn’t the best one, sorry), click on the word spring, take the documents, fill in and send back to us. That is all!! Please write some nouns or adjectives your pupils just have in mind about these countries. We would like to check their knowledge about new member of European Union. After we have received this document back ( and the second one with some details about your school) we’ll do a kind of recapitulation which we’ll show to all by the website: http://futurum2004.eun.org/ww/en/pub/futur.../index.cfmWe’ve already got several but we need more. You’ll see our summary we think it can be quite interested!Our website: http://www.gimnr23.webpark.pl

Great idea. We have a number of Spanish students and Spanish learners at the IST who might like to contribute to this debate. Obviously my Spanish is not quite good enough to moderate it (;), but I'm sure we can find someone prepared to help out.

Perhaps we might have a third language (for us preferably French)? I like the idea of multilingual students participating in similar debates in different languages.

I'm very happy to set this up!

I'm Nuria Cogollos, the Spanish teacher at the IST. I think it's a very good idea for the students to be involved in a bilingual or trilingual debate. I'll be very happy to help with it. :ph34r:

Hi Nuria and Richard,

So we will try to set up a multilingual debate. Probably I can try to convince a French teacher at my school to join the debate. Richard, once again you are the boss :ph34r: so, please, let us know the steps we should take.

Hi, everyone! :rolleyes:

I am Noemi Lusi from Rome, Italy. I want to share with you this wonderful experience of Spring Day in Europe which is resulting as very motivating for our students.

Have a look at the Italian National webpage http://valuesandproverbs.tripod.com/ourspr...e2004/id31.html and click on Spring Day news to know more about the values activity that, with the help of ICT, has managed to produce enthusiasm and widen students understanding of the importance of a cooperative environment. In fact, they like sharing and exchanging at the same time!

Also have a look at the values and proverbs site http://valuesandproverbs.tripod.com which, by experience, I found out manages to link past and present favouring dialogue with families and reducing generation gap.

Points of view on Solidarity, Democracy, Peace, Freedom, Equality and Tolerance can also be posted and will appear on http://pointsofview2004.tripod.com, which is a special section mainly dedicated to the students' opinion and beliefs. The site is in progress and updating takes place regularly.

If you want to send your contribution, by all means do so at my personal e-mail address.

More will come up, being already planned! Let's keep in touch!

Hugs from sunny Rome!

Noemi Lusi

I shall inform teachers of foreign languages at my school about this debate. I think that some of Spanish language teachers from our school will join the debate with their students. We do have a lot of good speaking kids whose parents left South America (mostly Chile) studying at our school. They study Spanish language because their skill in writing is not as good as in talking.

(And of course they expect the best marking in Spanish language subject.)

Will Juan Carlos moderate the Spanish student debate?

It is excellent to discuss with Chilean students in Stockholm. Probably, these American people will give us a fresh perspective about European integration. I know that at Richard's school are teachers that will be able to moderate the debate in Spanish. Núria, Spanish representative in Spring 2004, woul be an excellente moderator as well.

Any way, Richard is the boss. So, let's wait for orders :(

I have just registered my school for the Spring Day extravaganza - Richard can we use the student forum that you have set upto discuss some of the ideas you mentioned?

Or in this thread if your prefer.

My intention is to use the Junior section of the student forum for Spring Day. Half a dozen or so topics for students to contribute to. Hopefully in two languages or more.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just received this e-mail from the organisers of Spring Europe Day. Thought other participants ought to be aware:

Dear all,

I take the liberty to contact you personally because of a very worrying

situation apparently affecting UK schools, teachers and head teachers taking

part in European projects, especially Spring Day in Europe.

We have received and heard of some emails from UK anti-European political

parties trying to intimidate participants, even sometimes threatening them.

We are asking you to send us any email of this kind or tell us about any

contacts you may have had with such parties.

This information will privately be forwarded to the DfES, your ministry of

education, also very concerned about this unacceptable situation.

We also thank you very much for taking part in Spring Day, an initiatve of

democratic debate on the future of Europe. We try to provide you with a nice

platform to allow freedom of pedagogical expression all over Europe.

Kindest regards

I've just received this e-mail from the organisers of Spring Europe Day. Thought other participants ought to be aware:
Dear all,

I take the liberty to contact you personally because of a very worrying

situation apparently affecting UK schools, teachers and head teachers taking

part in European projects, especially Spring Day in Europe.

We have received and heard of some emails from UK anti-European political

parties trying to intimidate participants, even sometimes threatening them.

We are asking you to send us any email of this kind or tell us about any

contacts you may have had with such parties.

This information will privately be forwarded to the DfES, your ministry of

education, also very concerned about this unacceptable situation.

We also thank you very much for taking part in Spring Day, an initiatve of

democratic debate on the future of Europe. We try to provide you with a nice

platform to allow freedom of pedagogical expression all over Europe.

Kindest regards

This sadly happened last year. I was one of the British organizers last year and received a phone call from the Foreign Office about it. Interestingly, they wanted the issue to be played down. They appeared concerned that any publicity that came out of this would actually help the right-wing political parties. They seemed especially concerned that the Foreign Office would be seen as pro-Europe. That is Britain in the 21st century. The government does not mind as being seen as America’s lap dog as long as its not pro-Europe.

That is Britain in the 21st century.

Very sad indeed.

Any British teachers who wish to encourage an alternative vision of Britain in the 21st century are cordially invited to join me and my international students in an online discussion/debate about the future and meaning of Europe in the junior student debate section of this forum:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=117

My intention is to use the Junior section of the student forum for Spring Day. Half a dozen or so topics for students to contribute to. Hopefully in two languages or more.

I do have (as I already mentioned) a Spanish speaking student who is very keen to participate in Spanish debate at Spring for Europe. Don’t forget it.

Thanks.