The Education Forum

New Book from Larry Hancock

In the interest of shameless self promotion I'm posting this on my  new book,  just out on Amazon - its not a JFK book so the moderators are welcome to punt this and I will not post further here on it.  If it sounds interesting please visit my blog or as always email me at  larryjoe@westok.net

The following will give you plenty of introduction to the book... thanks...

https://larryhancock.wordpress.com/

http://www.larry-hancock.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Unidentified-National-Intelligence-Problem-UFOs/dp/069289229X/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Congratulations, Larry!!

(shameless self-interest): Does this mean that you can now embark in writing the tome that I suggested to you in private?   :-)

Seriously, I have been looking for a numerically oriented author.  Galanor is not even responding my e-mails/calls, after Debra Coway graciously gave me his contact numbers :-(

Another perfect candidate, Stanford's Arthur Snyder seems to have been absconded by the Military Industrial Complex of which Ike warned us.

-Ramon

ps: See how now this has become a JFK thread? (no punting, Kathy). I have a Master's degree on that.

Edited by Ramon F. Herrera

Well since you asked Ramon....grin....actually I'm already under contract with my friend Stu Wexler to get out a sequel to The Awful Grace of God on the MLK assassination by next summer.  Beyond that I've floated the idea of a companion book to our Shadow Warfare (focused on covert political action) but I'm being told at the moment publishers are taking a real beating on anything that is not fiction, pop culture or any book that does not have a well known media or political name in the title. It appears that our current state of government and the daily news cycle being driven by the President is overriding interest in the sorts of history I'd like to address. With all that for free in the news, nobody is bothering with books. 

Also, as I had anticipated I'm already picking up negative press about Unidentified because I can be characterized as a JFK conspiracy nut and hence intrinsically questionable - even if my dog likes me.  That's life. But it all comes together to make me hesitant for any project that would be towards the end of this decade.  Hopefully the new book will be received well enough to restore some of my energy...will just have to see.

Edited by Larry Hancock

5 hours ago, Larry Hancock said:

its not a JFK book so the moderators are welcome to punt this and I will not post further here on it.

I, for one, appreciate the heads up. Surprise Attack was my favorite recent, (in the last year or so), non-fiction read. I'll be picking up a copy of this one. Fascinating subject.

Larry,

I'll be sure to get a copy. I grew up on UFOs and Mad Magazine. Donald Keyhoe (Flying Saucers Are Real) was one of my heroes. I was almost even willing to believe George Adamski (Flying Saucers Have Landed) about the beautiful Venusian he met in the desert. (Or was it at a hot dog stand? My memory gets muddled.) Which reminds me of the AF explanation that Capt. Thomas Mantell was chasing the planet Venus when he crashed his plane and was killed. Then as now the idea was that people will believe anything. Or, to quote Jack Nicholson, "You can't handle the truth."

Thanks to everyone for their positive comments, I'm really trying not to abuse the JFK forum with my comments on this subject since it is very far off topic (well unless you were a fan of the short lived "Dark Skies" TV series - and no I most definitely do not go there).  And Ron, it was the desert, no hot dogs, just a few Joshua trees. And Keyhoe would have loved to see the documents we can see now. Obviously I'm excited about the book, the culmination of some 15 years on and off beginning back in 2003.  

I'm blogging about what the book is and what it is not.  Given the nature of the subject and the data available I was actually able to apply some analysis techniques that don't really work in regard to the Kennedy assassination.  However I think the book does give a much more in depth understanding of the total national intelligence structure and exposes what should have been done if the Kennedy assassination had actually been treated as a national security matter. My friend John Williams did a Lancer presentation several years ago in which he examined the minutes of the Intelligence Advisory Committee, the body which serves the NSC and which would have been tasked with initial evaluation of the assassination if he had been treated as something beyond a simple crime.

John was amazed to find it was never even considered as a subject - even with Soviet and Cuban implications at the height of the Cold War.  At the time I was amazed by that but after researching Unidentified and finally understanding how the total system works, that makes sense in terms of the nature of the "choke points" in the system.

Anyway, if you are interested, I will be doing a series of related posts on https://larryhancock.wordpress.com/

If you have not visited the blog please do, everyone is invited to post questions and I try to answer them promptly, if not briefly (Unidentified is 465 pages or so, clearly "brief" is not my style).

Well you caught me Joe, actually the forum photo is from a Lancer conference about eight years ago as far as I can figure; the one on my web page is a bit newer, only about three years ago.  For the sake of full disclosure my plan is to stop there and just not have any further photos taken...grin. 

The "loss of trust" issue you mentioned is something that I encounter over and over again, whenever I work in areas that deal with national security in any form.  I'd like to think of it as something relatively new but my suspicion is that its not, its simply became exacerbated when America truly moved into the global arena following WWI and began to act as a global power - seeing enemies and threats on that basis. In that perspective security beings to trump everything else and following WWII virtually everything was made worse by a new belief in the susceptibility of the public to foreign propaganda and psychological warfare. At one time I would have found those concerns overrated, and they probably were then - now with the advent of the global internet I'm becoming convinced that it is a serious contemporary concern.

I think we often see "loss of trust" largely in the context of the political assassinations, but the further I looked the more I found it to be endemic, certainly following WWII.  Two quick examples illustrate that.  When Eisenhower was shown there was no bomber gap and no missile gap he made the decision to proceed with a gigantic military build up and compromise his budget goals for the sake of a threat that simply did not exist. But if he had backed down he would have had to disclose why he was rejecting the military build up and the SAGE system (which cost more than the Manhatten project) and the expansion of SAC. Eisenhower was not willing to compromise the unique intelligence collections assets the nation had at the time and so he endorsed the spending surge. 

Decades later, during the Contra years, the CIA became quite well aware that many of its surrogates among the exiles and rebels were becoming heavily involved in drug running. The problem was that covert operations always requires surrogates and without them you end up with no cover story and some real political problems missions that a President has ordered you to conduct.   The result was that the Justice Department was asked for and granted an exemption allowing the CIA to essentially overlook those drug activities. When the CIA was pulled out of it and North took over he simply followed the same practice of looking the other way for the sake of the mission.

I don't claim to have any answers in regard to this problem, all I can do is observe that when national security rears its head, the instinct is always to put the mission (and the national security) above all other considerations. And that means not sharing information - not just with the public but even internally within government agencies. Which of course takes you you to "loss of trust" both inside the government and out. As you can imagine, that same issue rears its head to quite an extent within Unidentified as well.

As it is today, generally speaking, we expect our government to withhold most if not all of the truth when we ask them what is truly going on with regards to major foreign and even domestic military and political decisions and actions that effect us all in powerful ways.

What a sad ( and scary ) real truth withholding reality that is.

And it's been this way since WWII.

Edited by Joe Bauer