The Education Forum

National Archives release first batch of 2017 JFK documents

That is really interesting Jim.  Thanks.

Keep it coming.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A huge amount of the material I downloaded (Part 3 of 9) is either totally redacted, delayed, withheld, or completely illegible.  The majority of this stuff seems to be from the CIA.  I'm beginning to think we're being had--AGAIN!  I can't believe anyone would keep anything as totally unreadable as many of these documents are.  This has to be deliberate.

They are releasing documents in redacted form?  

With RIFs on them?

I posted a few comparisons on this page at Deep Politics Forum, from the first (previously censored, now released in full) zip archive.

https://deeppoliticsforum.com/forums/showthread.php?16598-National-Archives-releases-first-batch-of-2017-JFK-documents/page2#.WXaxcBimPUY

Page 2 of CIA cable to Mexico 'Re Passing Info to Warren Commission'

Redacted version at Mary Ferrell site is here, redactions on page 2.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc....eId=2&tab=page

First sentence of redacted version reads 

1. OUR PRESENT PLAN IN PASSING INFO TO WARREN COMMISSION IS TO ELIMINATE MENTION OF [REDACTED].

The uncensored version reads

1. OUR PRESENT PLAN IN PASSING INFO TO WARREN COMMISSION IS TO ELIMINATE MENTION OF TELEPHONE TAPS, IN ORDER TO PROTECT YOUR CONTINUING OPS.

The other deletions on the page are code-names, no names are mentioned.

And from the Mary Ferrell site - MEMO NO. 9 - GARRISON AND THE KENNEDY ASSASSINATION

http://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.h...eId=5&tab=page

Page 5 is redacted.

"Martin was a [redacted] when he was a Director of International Relations and World Trade of International House in New Orleans"

The uncensored version reads

"Martin was a DCS contact and source in 1964 and 1965 when he was a Director of International Relations and World Trade of International House in New Orleans"

JIm,  what was that document about?  Does it tell you anywhere?

Anthony, the Martin referred to is likely William Martin who was a suspected infiltrator in Garrison's camp.  This shows he did work for CIA.  BTW, this is the guy that Garrison sent to interview Nagell on his first interview in prison.

7 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

JIm,  what was that document about?  Does it tell you anywhere?

No.  There is a pretty good "Metadata" spreadsheet that accompanies each download, but in this case (from memory) it just says it was from the CIA's Segregated Collection (HSCA), that it is "Sensitive Original Withheld by CIA" with a doc date of "00/00/0000" and no clue as to the title or contents.  My guess is that no one at the HSCA ever saw this doc.

BTW, NARA has reorganized this release since yesterday.  Instead of the nine different file downloads of "Formerly Withheld in Full" files, there are now 18.  In the early morning hours (before 8 am EDT) today (7/25/17) the download speeds are fine.  I've already got 12 of the 18 files.

Too bad the vast majority of them appear to be redacted or completely illegible.  Nice game they play, eh?  

EDIT: At just about 8 am EDT, my 13th download failed and the site appears to have slowed.  You may have to download this stuff in the wee hours.

Edited by Jim Hargrove

104-10222-10007 in formerly batch 2 of 4 might be of interest. It's a fitness report of Thomas Keenan, Operations Officer, Mexico City from 10/63 to 9/30/64. His duties include responsibilities of station technical support including technical photo operations with a staff of 20. He was also an alternate case officer for 2 other operations including one in the LAURICLE field.

John Newman wrote on Facebook yesterday (July 24th):

ALERT: STATUS OF NARA JFK FILES RELEASE

The NARA release site has become a huge mess. We can only hope it can be cleaned up soon. Here is what I know. For a ...few who were lucky enough to start downloading at 8 AM eastern, they were able to get the first zip file on the former partially released docs. There are over 3000 docs in that zip. I was too late. For the newly released docs I was able to download 1 of 9, 2 of 9 and 4 of nine. I understand that this is true for many of my contacts.
Understand that although the XLS spreadsheets can be downloaded, they are of little use unless you can download the associated zip file with all of the PDFs. The information in the spreadsheets is minimal, and this is a big problem when one "document" is really 60 pages with forty documents in reality.
Once I get things rolling, with Alan Dale's help we will share with others, including CAPA, Lancer et al, to make available on the AARC website and my 2017 JFK site and others, the zip files or some other alternatives that work. In the absence of NARA fixing the situation quickly, this may be the best option we have.

12 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

John Newman wrote on Facebook yesterday (July 24th):

ALERT: STATUS OF NARA JFK FILES RELEASE

The NARA release site has become a huge mess. We can only hope it can be cleaned up soon. Here is what I know. For a ...few who were lucky enough to start downloading at 8 AM eastern, they were able to get the first zip file on the former partially released docs. There are over 3000 docs in that zip. I was too late. For the newly released docs I was able to download 1 of 9, 2 of 9 and 4 of nine. I understand that this is true for many of my contacts.
Understand that although the XLS spreadsheets can be downloaded, they are of little use unless you can download the associated zip file with all of the PDFs. The information in the spreadsheets is minimal, and this is a big problem when one "document" is really 60 pages with forty documents in reality.
Once I get things rolling, with Alan Dale's help we will share with others, including CAPA, Lancer et al, to make available on the AARC website and my 2017 JFK site and others, the zip files or some other alternatives that work. In the absence of NARA fixing the situation quickly, this may be the best option we have.

The files have been split into 18 and it seems to be working better today. I managed to download everything-about half of the files are audio interviews of Nosenko. However, these are of limited value since some are in Russian and in the case of the ones in English, the poor quality and Nosenko's accent make them hard to understand. As others mentioned, some of the files are still being withheld by he CIA. It is unclear if they are stalling until the October deadline or if they plan to challenge the JFK Records Act mandate.