The Education Forum

Is it true that Mexican Immigration records showed that Oswald entered and exited Mexico as a passenger in an automobile?

4 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Paul Trejo made that claim here and I like to know more.

Sandy

It depends. If you accept that the Spanish word for automobile is "auto" (which I believe is correct) or, according to this document (linked below)  it may be an abbreviation for "autobus" (I think that translation is unlikely).

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=10997#relPageId=6&tab=page

Excellent! Thank you Chris.

I've just now studied the issue of whether the "Auto." abbreviation was supposed to mean automobile or autobus. This is what I've found... translating:

bus  =  autobus
automobile  =  automovil

So, either one could conceivably be abbreviated as "Auto." in Spanish. However, if one of these is abbreviated as "Auto." then how will the other one be abbreviated?

The way to decide which one should be abbreviated as "Auto." (IMO) is this: When a Mexican reads "Auto." what are they likely to think of, automovil or autobus?

I used Google Translate to translate "auto" from Spanish to English. Happily, the translation is "car." So "Auto." is likely to conjure up "automovil," not "autobus."

But what translation can be used for "autobus?"  I wondered if "bus" might be another Spanish word for autpbus. So I used Google Translate to translate "bus" from Spanish to English. Again happily, the translation is "bus." So "Bus" will conjure up "autobus."

In summary, I believe the Spanish abbreviations would have been:

Bus is short for Autobus
Auto. is short for Automovil

Though to be certain about this, I'd like to use a Mexican-Spanish translator instead of just a Spanish translator.