The Education Forum

Did the Dallas Radical Right kill JFK?

Paul Trejo

I perceive a new interest in the CT that the Radical Right in Dallas was behind the JFK assassination.   This would include such WC witnesses as General Walker, Robert Alan Surrey, Revilo P. Oliver, Bernard Weisman, and possibly included Dallas officials, Will Fritz, BIll Decker, Jesse Curry, Buddy Walthers, Harry Holmes, James Hosty, Forrest Sorrels,  Earle Cabell and others in their company. 

Such a theory would attempt to harmonize with Jim Garrison and Joan Mellen's identification of a dozen people in New Orleans, including Guy Banister, David Ferrie, Clay Shaw, Jack S. Martin, Fred Crisman and Tommy Beckham.  Also implied are Rightist elements in the South including Joseph Milteer, Billy James Hargis, Ed Butler, Carlos Bringuier and Kent Courtney.  

It would also include people who have already confessed, such as Frank Sturgis, Howard Hunt, David Morales, Roscoe White, Loran Hall, Gerry Patrick Hemming and Lee Harvey Oswald.  As a starting point, the recent book by Dr. Jeffrey Caufield, General Walker and the Murder of President Kennedy: the Extensive New Evidence of a Radical Right Conspiracy (2015) is presented.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo
Alan

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul,

I have been following several posts where this is discussed. I am sure elements of the radical right were involved. I have not yet seen satisfactory evidence that places Walker as the leader of the pack. I am not trying to argue against your point, I just need to see it spelled out in a clear and concise manner.

If you could, would you lay out your top few pieces of evidence that place Walker as the leader of this operation?

In my view the dominant government-did-it explanations have failed to account for all the documents and other evidence released since Garrison promoted his CIA theory.   Instead of letting the evidence lead us to the answers, many of us are busy defending our cherished beliefs and accepting or rejecting evidence based on whether or not it threatens our established conclusions.

The Radical Right had the stated objective of getting rid of Kennedy and anticipated immediate benefits in his death.  There are no benefits to the CIA in killing JFK; they lack both motive and tangible evidence they were even wanting Kennedy gone.

Jason

Edited by Jason Ward

I understand in the 1950s and 60s, the CIA was pretty much "unofficially" running their own foreign policy, and after the BOP debacle, Kennedy had enough of the CIA and wanted the Joint Chiefs to be his military advisors, effectively removing the CIA from the equation.

He came out with NSAM 55 regarding this. I think paragraph 2 is especially powerful. I don't imagine that went over very well at Langley. A little bit of motivation for participation there, I think. It certainly doesn't exclude others' involvment, for sure.

https://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/sjtthyMxu06GMct7OymAvw.aspx

Edited by Roger DeLaria

3 hours ago, Roger DeLaria said:

I understand in the 1950s and 60s, the CIA was pretty much "unofficially" running their own foreign policy, and after the BOP debacle, Kennedy had enough of the CIA and wanted the Joint Chiefs to be his military advisors, effectively removing the CIA from the equation.

He came out with NSAM 55 regarding this. I think paragraph 2 is especially powerful. I don't imagine that went over very well at Langley. A little bit of motivation for participation there, I think. It certainly doesn't exclude others' involvment, for sure.

Hi Roger,

So killing JFK means the CIA gets to run their own foreign policy [again] ?

It's just really quite a unprecedented step to kill your boss when he issues a policy statement you don't like, especially when your boss is the president.  I have a hard time believing that 1000s of Democrats and Republicans in the CIA are angry enough about a policy directive to assassinate the chief executive - especially when there is no evidence they were that angry.   

What benefit do you see that the CIA obtains with the death of Kennedy?   Paul Trejo's Radical Right explanation says the reactionairies hoped to pin JFK's death on a communist conspiracy in order to (fill in the blank)_________________________[invade Cuba/gain in political popularity/create another Red Scare/aggressively confront the Soviets/turn back the clock 50+ years in terms of the domestic moral-civil code].

Jason

Edited by Jason Ward

The CIA is not operating solely for their own benefit. There were many who benefitted. I remember hearing Fletcher Prouty talk about the CIA, and how the important word was "Agency". What does an agent do? An agent does the job that a client brings to it. The MIC, defense contractors, big oil, LBJ? I think all of these and others could certainly be called radical rightwing.

10 hours ago, Ty Carpenter said:

Paul,

I have been following several posts where this is discussed. I am sure elements of the radical right were involved. I have not yet seen satisfactory evidence that places Walker as the leader of the pack. I am not trying to argue against your point, I just need to see it spelled out in a clear and concise manner.

If you could, would you lay out your top few pieces of evidence that place Walker as the leader of this operation?

Ty,

The Walker-did-it CT has as many angles as the CIA-did-it CT, and so it is virtually impossible to cover all the bases in any single post.  The best I can do in a short post is an overview.

You probably already know about the older Radical Right CT supporters, including Willie Somerset on Joseph Milteer (courtesy of Don Adams), Gareth Wean (courtesy Senator John Tower), and Harry Dean.  Its newer supporters include Walt Brown and Jeff Caufield.

Of these (IIRC) Gareth Wean and Jeff Caufield identify General Walker as the central figure.

I was privileged to file through the (not-yet-indexed) 90 boxes of the personal papers of General Walker at UT Austin.  I found no smoking gun (as the files were sanitized before donation, I believe) but I did find a lot of circumstantial evidence.

The conclusion I draw from these papers is that General Walker connected himself with Lee Harvey Oswald and JFK in various leaks to the newspapers, starting 18 hours after the JFK assassination, and going to the end of his life.  He kept clippings of these articles in his possession.

The justification for his deed also features in his personal papers.  For example, the Grand Jury transcripts (available noplace else) of General Walker's testimony defending his behavior at the Ole Miss racial riots of 1962, as well as the psychiatrists who testified against him in court -- are part of those personal papers.  

Though General Walker was a heavily decorated WW2 hero, he was no scholar.  His library consisted not of books, but of magazines -- mostly John Birch Society magazines, as well as magazines from various Radical Right and racist organizations in the USA.  He was an avid segregationist.   For him (as for the JBS) the Civil Rights Movement was a Communist Plot, pure and simple.

The Deutsche-Nationalzeitung article was a Walker production.   Whatever National Enquirer articles came out about Oswald and Walker -- were Walker productions.  The same with early Newspaper articles and other scandal rag articles.  Walker wanted people to link him with Lee Harvey Oswald for eternity.  (Walker was proud of his deeds.)

When Robert Blakey showed on TV a pristine bullet to stand in for the Walker bullet -- Walker called his lawyer and wrote his Congressman.  This is an outrage!  Only the AUTHENTIC Walker bullet must be shown on TV, he demanded (and sounded like an old crank).  But he was serious.

Walker got income from the sale of his Radical Right speeches, and from a fan club called, "Friends of Walker."  He was leader of his local John Birch Society clutch in Dallas (which always met at Austin's BBQ on weekends, when JD Tippit worked there).  He operated a telephone message service for his cause, and he published a periodic Newsletter for his fans.  

Here is a snippet from his Friends of Walker Newsletter from June 12, 1968, upon the occasion of the assassination of RFK.  

If authority, in the hands of the Attorney General and the Justice Department had not seen fit to free Oswald and his associates in the attempted assassination of Edwin A. Walker — there is no reason to doubt that President John F. Kennedy and Senator Robert F. Kennedy would be alive today.  (Edwin Walker, 6/12/1968)

That is just the tip of the iceberg, Ty.  I heartily recommend the book by Jeff Caufield, General Walker and the Murder of President Kennedy: the Extensive New Evidence of a Radical Right Conspiracy (2015).  

Jeff Caufield has seen not only the Walker papers at UT Austin, but also the Walker papers all over the USA.  Whatever Jeff has shared with me, I have shared with this Forum over the years.  The same with Harry Dean.  The same with Ruth Paine.   The same with Gary Schoener, and the same with Larrie Schmidt.  

The CIA-did-it CT has had 50 years to prove that point, and failed.   I'm pleased that Jason Ward has chimed in on this thread, because his own research is even more scientifically intensive than mine.  He doesn't yet buy the Walker CT, but like you he's impressed with the Radical Right CT. 

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

32 minutes ago, Paul Trejo said:

Ty,

The Walker-did-it CT has as many angles as the CIA-did-it CT, and so it is virtually impossible to cover all the bases in any single post.  The best I can do in a short post is an overview.

You probably already know about the older Radical Right CT supporters, including Willie Somerset on Joseph Milteer (courtesy of Don Adams), Gareth Wean (courtesy Senator John Tower), and Harry Dean.  Its newer supporters include Walt Brown and Jeff Caufield.

Of these (IIRC) Gareth Wean and Jeff Caufield identify General Walker as the central figure.

I was privileged to file through the (not-yet-indexed) 90 boxes of the personal papers of General Walker at UT Austin.  I found no smoking gun (as the files were sanitized before donation, I believe) but I did find a lot of circumstantial evidence.

The conclusion I draw from these papers is that General Walker connected himself with Lee Harvey Oswald and JFK in various leaks to the newspapers, starting 18 hours after the JFK assassination, and going to the end of his life.  He kept clippings of these articles in his possession.

The justification for his deed also features in his personal papers.  For example, the Grand Jury transcripts (available noplace else) of General Walker's testimony defending his behavior at the Ole Miss racial riots of 1962, as well as the psychiatrists who testified against him in court -- are part of those personal papers.  

Though General Walker was a heavily decorated WW2 hero, he was no scholar.  His library consisted not of books, but of magazines -- mostly John Birch Society magazines, as well as magazines from various Radical Right and racist organizations in the USA.  He was an avid segregationist.   For him (as for the JBS) the Civil Rights Movement was a Communist Plot, pure and simple.

The Deutsche-Nationalzeitung article was a Walker production.   Whatever National Enquirer articles came out about Oswald and Walker -- were Walker productions.  The same with early Newspaper articles and other scandal rag articles.  Walker wanted people to link him with Lee Harvey Oswald for eternity.  (Walker was proud of his deeds.)

When Robert Blakey showed on TV a pristine bullet to stand in for the Walker bullet -- Walker called his lawyer and wrote his Congressman.  This is an outrage!  Only the AUTHENTIC Walker bullet must be shown on TV, he demanded (and sounded like an old crank).  But he was serious.

Walker got income from the sale of his Radical Right speeches, and from a fan club called, "Friends of Walker."  He was leader of his local John Birch Society clutch in Dallas (which always met at Austin's BBQ on weekends, when JD Tippit worked there).  He operated a telephone message service for his cause, and he published a periodic Newsletter for his fans.  

Here is a snippet from his Friends of Walker Newsletter from June 12, 1968, upon the occasion of the assassination of RFK.  

If authority, in the hands of the Attorney General and the Justice Department had not seen fit to free Oswald and his associates in the attempted assassination of Edwin A. Walker — there is no reason to doubt that President John F. Kennedy and Senator Robert F. Kennedy would be alive today.  (Edwin Walker, 6/12/1968)

That is just the tip of the iceberg, Ty.  I heartily recommend the book by Jeff Caufield, General Walker and the Murder of President Kennedy: the Extensive New Evidence of a Radical Right Conspiracy (2015).  

Jeff Caufield has seen not only the Walker papers at UT Austin, but also the Walker papers all over the USA.  Whatever Jeff has shared with me, I have shared with this Forum over the years.  The same with Harry Dean.  The same with Ruth Paine.   The same with Gary Schoener, and the same with Larrie Schmidt.  

The CIA-did-it CT has had 50 years to prove that point, and failed.   I'm pleased that Jason Ward has chimed in on this thread, because his own research is even more scientifically intensive than mine.  He doesn't yet buy the Walker CT, but like you he's impressed with the Radical Right CT. 

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Paul - Are you going to insist that Curtis LeMay wasn't, like  Walker. a segregationist? Or that LeMay and Lemnitzer weren't radical rightists? 

10 hours ago, Jason Ward said:

Hi Roger,

So killing JFK means the CIA gets to run their own foreign policy [again] ?

It's just really quite a unprecedented step to kill your boss when he issues a policy statement you don't like, especially when your boss is the president.  I have a hard time believing that 1000s of Democrats and Republicans in the CIA are angry enough about a policy directive to assassinate the chief executive - especially when there is no evidence they were that angry.   

What benefit do you see that the CIA obtains with the death of Kennedy?   Paul Trejo's Radical Right explanation says the reactionairies hoped to pin JFK's death on a communist conspiracy in order to (fill in the blank)_________________________[invade Cuba/gain in political popularity/create another Red Scare/aggressively confront the Soviets/turn back the clock 50+ years in terms of the domestic moral-civil code].

Jason

Paul, Thank you for taking the time to respond. You have given me several avenues to explore that I have not yet gone down. 

Jason, I don't think "splinter the CIA into a thousand pieces and scatter it into the wind" is a simple policy statement. It sounds more to me that this is a mission statement. Meaning, that JFK did not simply want to control what the CIA did and where they did it, he wanted to eliminate them, possibly rightfully so. Is it not possible that elements of the CIA acted as a cornered animal when faced with extinction? I have no firm beliefs on who "bought the bullets", but I don't think elements of the CIA can be outright dismissed. 

8 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Paul - Are you going to insist that Curtis LeMay wasn't, like  Walker. a segregationist? Or that LeMay and Lemnitzer weren't radical rightists? 

Paul B.,

It's one thing to be a segregationist, but it's quite another thing to be a Radical Rightist. 

One cannot be a truly Radical Rightist and still be a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the Pentagon.

This is why General Walker resigned (not retired) from the US Army in 1961.   In his Senate Subcommittee hearings of 1962, he argued that the Pentagon itself was Communist.

Now, that's a Radical Rightist.   You're not looking far enough Right-wing, Paul B.   That's been your issue from the start.

Think of the Confederate Flag...that's a bit closer.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

10 hours ago, Paul Trejo said:

Ty,

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

I haven't signed on to the Walker CT, but like Ty and Jason, I find Paul's posts on the Radical Right CT interesting and have found other avenues of exploration I hadn't considered before.

16 hours ago, Roger DeLaria said:

The CIA is not operating solely for their own benefit. There were many who benefitted. I remember hearing Fletcher Prouty talk about the CIA, and how the important word was "Agency". What does an agent do? An agent does the job that a client brings to it. The MIC, defense contractors, big oil, LBJ? I think all of these and others could certainly be called radical rightwing.

Roger,

I tend to agree with Jason on this point.  JFK was hopping mad after the Bay of Pigs screw-up, and he correctly blamed the CIA for giving him bad information.

HOWEVER -- just because JFK said he wanted to "tear the CIA into a thousand pieces and scatter it to the wind," does not mean we should take it literally.  He was angry.  People often speak in hyperbole when they are angry.  Everybody knows that.

JFK was also worried that the CIA was possibly too Republican for his purposes, so he pushed back and asked the Pentagon to help him out on this score -- and that certainly put the fear of Jesus into the CIA.  But that's still no reason to kill the Commander in Chief.

The fact remains -- JFK actually increased funding for the CIA in 1962-1963.  Also, JFK increased covert operations, including Operation Mongoose, which was RFK's idea (something that Jim Garrison didn't know, but was demonstrated in 2005 by Lamar Waldron).

No, the CIA wasn't as worried about JFK as the CIA-did-it CT has told us over the past 50 years.  We should really feel comfortable looking elsewhere for the killers of JFK.

Finally -- let's define Radical Right, please.  Radical Right, to me, means revolutionary in the anti-American sense.  Radical Right wants to overthrow the US Government, marching down the street and chanting, "Jews will not replace us!" and carrying Nazi torches, chanting "Blood and soil!"

Think of the people who started the race riot at Ole Miss in 1962, because one Black American (James Meredith) wanted to be a student there.  Think of the people who shot Medgar Evers in the back in his own driveway in June 1963, because he had helped James Meredith become the first Black American on the Ole Miss campus.

These are not members of the US Military, the FBI or the CIA.  One cannot belong to a Radical Right political party and also belong to the US Military, the FBI or the CIA.  Think even FARTHER to the Right.  Then you will more clearly envision the people who really killed JFK.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo
typos

48 minutes ago, Paul Trejo said:

Roger,

I tend to agree with Jason on this point.  JFK was hopping mad after the Bay of Pigs screw-up, and he correctly blamed the CIA for giving him bad information.

HOWEVER -- just because JFK said he wanted to "tear the CIA into a thousand pieces and scatter it to the wind," does not mean we should take it literally.  He was angry.  People often speak in hyperbole when they are angry.  Everybody knows that.

JFK was also worried that the CIA was possibly too Republican for his purposes, so he pushed back and asked the Pentagon to help him out on this score -- and that certainly put the fear of Jesus into the CIA.  But that's still no reason to kill the Commander in Chief.

The fact remains -- JFK actually increased funding for the CIA in 1962-1963.  Also, JFK increased covert operations, including Operation Mongoose, which was RFK's idea (something that Jim Garrison didn't know, but was demonstrated in 2005 by Lamar Waldron).

No, the CIA wasn't as worried about JFK as the CIA-did-it CT has told us over the past 50 years.  We should really feel comfortable looking elsewhere for the killers of JFK.

Finally -- let's define Radical Right, please.  Radical Right, to me, means revolutionary in the anti-American sense.  Radical Right wants to overthrow the US Government, marching down the street and chanting, "Jews will not replace us!" and carrying Nazi torches, chanting "Blood and soil!"

Think of the people who started the race riot at Ole Miss in 1962, because one Black American (James Meredith) wanted to be a student there.  Think of the people who shot Medgar Evers in the back in his own driveway in June 1963, because he had helped James Meredith become the first Black American on the Ole Miss campus.

These are not members of the US Military, the FBI or the CIA.  One cannot belong to a Radical Right political party and also belong to the US Military, the FBI or the CIA.  Think even FARTHER to the Right.  Then you will more clearly envision the people who really killed JFK.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Paul, thanks for your response. You've given me some info to look into and consider. 

7 hours ago, Ty Carpenter said:

Paul, Thank you for taking the time to respond. You have given me several avenues to explore that I have not yet gone down. 

Jason, I don't think "splinter the CIA into a thousand pieces and scatter it into the wind" is a simple policy statement. It sounds more to me that this is a mission statement. Meaning, that JFK did not simply want to control what the CIA did and where they did it, he wanted to eliminate them, possibly rightfully so. Is it not possible that elements of the CIA acted as a cornered animal when faced with extinction? I have no firm beliefs on who "bought the bullets", but I don't think elements of the CIA can be outright dismissed. 

Hi Ty,

Thank you for the polite conversation.

My initial reply was actually referencing only the National Security Action Memo, which I take as basic bureaucratic wordiness of equivocal meaning.  As far as the splinter into a thousand pieces remark, sure that it is not something you want to hear your boss say about the organization you work for.  

However, I think there's a lot of mitigating factors here. For one thing: how often is a politician actually able to wrestle control or rearrange a major entity like the CIA? I mean really they are more or less permanent. Also, don't we have to consider who these people are in the CIA? In my view they are very law-abiding and very duty-bound people from both a Republican or Democratic background. The CIA is quite a bit different from a bunch of gangsters, don't you agree? Yet we are so easily giving them a gangster's mentality.  The CIA getting involved in the Kennedy assassination is in my view about the last thing they're going to do because if they were ever discovered - it really WOULD end the CIA.

Now if there were any evidence that CIA leadership or legitimate full-time CIA employees were bloodthirsty and angry towards JFK, I would definitely agree we can take this seriously until it's resolved. But for 50 plus years all we've seen is the supposition that the CIA must be mad at Kennedy. There is no proof whatsoever that the CIA was mad at Kennedy. There is no proof whatsoever that any CIA employee was involved in the Kennedy assassination.

...All there is is a bunch of made up hypotheses and a bunch of unknowns that are filled in with imaginative examples of creative storytelling. For example, a few weeks ago I had an encounter with a JFK researcher who has over the years contributed some good work to the assassination question.

However, he insisted to me that one reason we know that Ruth Paine is in the CIA is because Marina Oswald said that the Secret Service said that Ruth Paine had some CIA connections. That's a double hearsay problem; and, the mere accusation from someone or some agency in no way counts as evidence towards the veracity of the accusation they're making. There's simply no document and no witness testimony that places people like Ruth Paine and several others either in the CIA or actively part of the conspiracy to assassinate Kennedy.

But if you could point out some evidence, I'd certainly like to discuss it!... because as you say, we should investigate the CIA as far as the evidence takes us. I work on projects for the Mary Farrell Foundation including the recently released document dumps and I can see that the CIA was as aloof of Oswald in the conspiracy to kill Kennedy as the FBI or the Secret Service or anyone else in official Washington.

Paul Trejo has pointed out that General Walker had advanced knowledge of Oswald's activity in the spring and Summer of 63 that only the conspirators could know. I know of no one else besides Walker in this whole saga who shows such knowledge of Oswald before this knowledge was publicly revealed.

I really appreciate the polite interaction and I look forward to discussing this further.

Jason

Edited by Jason Ward