The Education Forum

Did the Dallas Radical Right kill JFK?

Paul Trejo

1 hour ago, Roger DeLaria said:

I believe that Hunt stopped publicly supporting Walker, as did many others, after the riots, although I could be mistaken. Did he still support Walker privately? I don't know. It seemed many people walked away from Walker.

Roger,

In his 1966 Playboy interview, H.L. Hunt was asked about General Walker, and said words to the effect that 'Walker was the most honest man he ever met.'

Asked why Walker lost the 1962 Texas gubernatorial election, Hunt said, "Walker didn't listen to me."   It's true -- Hunt did not give orders for Walker to obey.  That never happened.  Hunt financed General Walker, but Walker did his own thing.

For example, Hunt wanted Walker to run as a REPUBLICAN.  Yet in Walker's mind, thinking back to his childhood, the best Segregationists were the Southern DEMOCRATS.  Woodrow Wilson was a hero for young Edwin Walker.  So, he ran as a Democrat, and lost big time.   (The Dixiecrat model was big in the South at the time, but they failed to start their own Party.  George Wallace also failed to lead the Democrats in a world after FDR.   The Democrats totally lost the South with LBJ,  but it was already slipping fast after FDR.)

For another example, Roger, you're right -- the clash at OLE MISS (1962) was a bad idea, according to H.L Hunt.  But Edwin Walker wanted to show JFK that the South would not tolerate any more Federal Troops telling the States what they could and could not do -- even about Segregation.  The real issue was "States Rights" said Walker publicly.  (But privately he was expecting a race war in the USA, so that the Military could finally take over Washington DC once and for all.)

Walker lost the vast majority of his support after the Ole Miss riots -- partly because JFK and RFK had sent General Walker to an insane asylum (Springfield, MO) after the riots.  But when a Mississippi Grand Jury acquitted Walker of all charges in late January, 1963, Walker became the super-hero of the Radical Right in the USA. 

Walker spoke at rallies for the KKK and for the White Citizens Councils and the John Birch Society, coast to coast.  Walker toured with Billy James Hargis, coast to coast, too, from February to early April, 1963, preaching racial segregation and the downfall of that "Communist," JFK.

They called it the "Midnight Ride" Tour.

It was the night after he returned from the Midnight Ride Tour that somebody tried to shoot Walker in his home on Turtle Creek, Blvd, Dallas, on Wed10Apr1963.  (For the rest of his life, Walker blamed RFK for that attack, and he was certain that there had been two shooters, and that the second shooter was still on the loose.)

According to H.L. Hunt, however, the two men remained friends.  Hunt's butler claims that he saw General Walker inside Hunt's home shortly before the JFK Assassination.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo
typos

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General Walker resigned because he couldn't handle his transfer to Hawaii, in essence a demotion given to him by European Commander Clarke.  JFK had called and demanded Walker be relieved of command after his insubordination by drilling his troops in John birch society BS and being warned repeatedly to stop it.  "Quietly some of the generals soldiers believe that the bachelor general obsessions are bordering on madness. They've attended his fanatical lectures..."  pg. 82.  Clarke defied JFK with the transfer.  I know CIA operative Mayor Earle Cabell welcomed him to Dallas with a cowboy hat.  Owner of the Dallas Morning News Ted Dealy sung his praises in the paper.  And that for his call to arms leading to armed violent attacks on National Guard troops to prevent James Meredith from enrolling at the University of Mississippi led to his incarceration for a mental health evaluation.  His Governor campaign was not just a bad joke but a disaster.  'Speaking to 500 people in a Holiday Inn after the election...in which he came in 6th out of 6 democratic candidates".  

By 1963 the General didn't have much influence with anybody.

I don't recommend this book because of it's conclusion Oswald acted alone, which is just stupid.  But it still has valuable insight regarding the city in which JFK was Murdered.  In public sight, in the daylight.

https://www.amazon.com/Dallas-1963-Bill-Minutaglio/dp/1455522104/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1510720683&sr=1-1&keywords=dallas+1963

11 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

General Walker resigned because he couldn't handle his transfer to Hawaii, in essence a demotion given to him by European Commander Clarke.  JFK had called and demanded Walker be relieved of command after his insubordination by drilling his troops in John birch society BS and being warned repeatedly to stop it.  "Quietly some of the generals soldiers believe that the bachelor general obsessions are bordering on madness. They've attended his fanatical lectures..."  pg. 82.  Clarke defied JFK with the transfer.  I know CIA operative Mayor Earle Cabell welcomed him to Dallas with a cowboy hat.  Owner of the Dallas Morning News Ted Dealy sung his praises in the paper.  And that for his call to arms leading to armed violent attacks on National Guard troops to prevent James Meredith from enrolling at the University of Mississippi led to his incarceration for a mental health evaluation.  His Governor campaign was not just a bad joke but a disaster.  'Speaking to 500 people in a Holiday Inn after the election...in which he came in 6th out of 6 democratic candidates".  

I don't recommend this book because of it's conclusion Oswald acted alone, which is just stupid.  But it still has valuable insight regarding the city in which JFK was Murdered.  In public sight, in the daylight.

https://www.amazon.com/Dallas-1963-Bill-Minutaglio/dp/1455522104/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1510720683&sr=1-1&keywords=dallas+1963

Ron,

Good post on Walker.  Thanks for that snippet from Minutaglio's new book.  Very useful.

Minutaglio's timeline is a little jagged ... Because Walker's campaign for Texas Governor came six months before his Ole Miss riots.

In my reading, Walker fervently hoped to get political power so that he could challenge JFK directly.  But having lost the election so badly, he lashed out with Ole Miss.

It was an act of desperation -- but in my opinion JFK and RFK should never have sent Walker to an insane asylum.  That was their blunder.  They had to backpedal for that.  Even the ACLU fought JFK and RFK on that.

But since it occurred during the Cuban Missile Crisis, very few people noticed.  Small potatoes.

Walker became a monster after that.  He moved underground almost entirely.  The Radical Right was his only "home" now.

Too bad Minutaglio didn't spend more time on Walker.

Good post.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

17 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Ron,

The following is my opinion:

Another problem with Minutaglio's account is his claim that JFK demanded that Walker be relieved of command -- that's inaccurate.  The Joint Chiefs demanded it   Also, the John Birch Society materials were the least of it.  It was General Walker calling President Truman "pink" that really irked folks in Washington DC. 

But when it came to the Military Tribunal, the one charge they got Walker on was this: trying to influence his troops in the upcoming election.

Also, JFK didn't want Walker to RESIGN.  It would cause a scandal.  Walker could retire, or Walker could accept the transfer to a comfortable job in Hawaii.  But Walker's mind was made up.  He had already tried to RESIGN once before, under President Eisenhower in 1959, the year he joined the JBS.   (Ike just tore up the papers and sent Walker to Germany.)  

Yet Walker was already starting to accuse the Joint Chiefs of "Communist infiltration" and of being "Pink".   So, he was just dumb, in their opinion.  He had no friends in the Pentagon.  None came to see him at his Tribunal.  None came to speak for him at the Senate Subcommittee Hearings in 1962.   He was dumb, in their eyes.

I did full research of this issue under HW Brands in 2012.  The real reason for the dismissal of General Walker from his German post in 1961 was his "shore flap" with the Overseas Weekly US Army newspaper.  They had been tracking Walker for all of 1960, to prove he was gay.  Walker sued them in Civil Court and won.  That made the editors so angry, the Overseas Weekly pulled out all the stops and slammed Walker with a full two page spread in April 1961.  Front page headlines and all.

This was when the whole world read that General Walker had called President Truman "pink."

The very next day the Joint Chiefs moved Walker off his post.  You don't have a "shore flap" near the Berlin Wall during the peak of the Cold War -- the Joint Chiefs won't put up with it.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

1 hour ago, Paul Trejo said:

Ron,

Another problem with Minutaglio's account is his claim that JFK demanded that Walker be relieved of command -- that's inaccurate.  The Joint Chiefs demanded it   Also, the John Birch Society materials were the least of it.  It was General Walker calling President Truman "pink" that really irked folks in Washington DC. 

But when it came to the Military Tribunal, the one charge they got Walker on was this: trying to influence his troops in the upcoming election.

Also, JFK didn't want Walker to RESIGN.  It would cause a scandal.  Walker could retire, or Walker could accept the transfer to a comfortable job in Hawaii.  But Walker's mind was made up.  He had already tried to RESIGN once before, under President Eisenhower in 1959, the year he joined the JBS.   (Ike just tore up the papers and sent Walker to Germany.)  

Yet Walker was already starting to accuse the Joint Chiefs of "Communist infiltration" and of being "Pink".   So, he was just dumb, in their opinion.  He had no friends in the Pentagon.  None came to see him at his Tribunal.  None came to speak for him at the Senate Subcommittee Hearings in 1962.   He was dumb, in their eyes.

I did full research of this issue under HW Brands in 2012.  The real reason for the dismissal of General Walker from his German post in 1961 was his "shore flap" with the Overseas Weekly US Army newspaper.  They had been tracking Walker for all of 1960, to prove he was gay.  Walker sued them in Civil Court and won.  That made the editors so angry, the Overseas Weekly pulled out all the stops and slammed Walker with a full two page spread in April 1961.  Front page headlines and all.

This was when the whole world read that General Walker had called President Truman "pink."

The very next day the Joint Chiefs moved Walker off his post.  You don't have a "shore flap" near the Berlin Wall during the peak of the Cold War -- the Joint Chiefs won't put up with it.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Paul - do you have a link to Congressional hearings on Walker? I was under the impression that Lemnitzer testified as a character witness.

44 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

Paul - do you have a link to Congressional hearings on Walker? I was under the impression that Lemnitzer testified as a character witness.

There are links which contain references to his Congressional testimony but I don't think there is any complete copy online.  The following 17-page document is available for sale as part of a collection of Gerald LK Smith documents.

https://archive.org/details/edwinwalkercollection?&sort=-downloads&page=5

19620505_re_Senate.JPG

Edited by Ernie Lazar

4 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Paul B.,

General Lemnitzer was required to testify before the Senate Subcommittee on  "Military Cold War Education and Speech Review Policies" (April, 1962), and Lemnitzer was not flattering toward Ex-General Walker.

Here is the link: https://www.maryferrell.org/php/showlist.php?docset=1934

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

5 hours ago, Ernie Lazar said:

There are links which contain references to his Congressional testimony but I don't think there is any complete copy online.  The following 17-page document is available for sale as part of a collection of Gerald LK Smith documents.

https://archive.org/details/edwinwalkercollection?&sort=-downloads&page=5

Ernie -- and whoever is selling the documents displayed at this Internet site:

It's quite amazing if this is for SALE on the internet, because it happens to be a rip-off of my work, culling through the 90 boxes of the Personal Papers of Ex-General Edwin Walker at the Briscoe Center for American History at the University of Texas at Austin, 2010-2013, under the auspices of Professor H.W. Brands.

Unknown to me at the time, I found out much later that Gary Mack of the 6th Floor Museum had copied all of my 1,200 photographs of Walker's Personal Papers, and appropriated them for his 6th Floor Museum collection on General Walker.

Well -- I suspected that they would never see the light of day -- but this is a punch in the stomach.

Just so you know -- the Briscoe Center for American History at the University of Texas at Austin OWNS those photographs.  They have the (c) Copyright.   (This is because I used THEIR camera to make those copies.   They also have the duplicates.)

The Briscoe Center for American History at the University of Texas at Austin has DISALLOWED me or ANYBODY from showing any of those photographs in PUBLIC or on the Internet, until they get their money ($5,400).

I will testify -- if it comes to court -- regarding the circumstances in which Gary Mack improperly copied all of the Briscoe Center's files, knowing full well that the Briscoe Center forbade me to share them, because I had advised him of that fact -- multiple times.

Finally -- if anybody has made any money at all by showing these Briscoe Center copies of these Edwin Walker Personal Paper photographs, please be advised that they OWE ALL OF THAT MONEY to the Briscoe Center for the Study of American History at the University of Texas (up to $5,400).

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo
clarity

15 minutes ago, Paul Trejo said:

Ernie -- and whoever is selling the documents displayed at this Internet site:

It's quite amazing if this is for SALE on the internet, because it happens to be a rip-off of my work, culling through the 90 boxes of the Personal Papers of Ex-General Edwin Walker at the Briscoe Center for American History at the University of Texas at Austin, 2011-2013.

Unknown to me at the time, I found out much later that Gary Mack of the 6th Floor Museum had copied all of my 1,300 photographs of Walker's Personal Papers, and appropriated them for his 6th Floor Museum collection on General Walker.

Well -- I suspected that they would never see the light of day -- but this is a punch in the stomach.

Just so you know -- the Briscoe Center for American History OWNS those photographs.  They have the (c) Copyright.   (This is because I used THEIR camera to make those copies.   They also have the duplicates.)

The Briscoe Center for American History has DISALLOWED me or ANYBODY from showing any of those photographs in PUBLIC or on the Internet

I will testify -- if it comes to court -- regarding the circumstances in which Gary Mack improperly copied all of the Briscoe Center's files, knowing full well that the Briscoe Center forbade me to share them, because I had advised him of that fact -- multiple times.

Finally -- if anybody has made any money at all by showing these Briscoe Center copies of these Edwin Walker Personal Paper photographs, please be advised that they OWE ALL OF THAT MONEY to the Briscoe Center for the Study of American History at the University of Texas.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Paul:  The actual publication (not the photograph) which is a transcript of Walker's testimony is available for sale from Sacred Truth Publishing -- which sells a lot of bigoted literature -- including compilations of pamphlets and booklets originally published by Gerald L.K Smith -- decades ago.

Some Collected Shorter Works of Gerald L. K. Smith, Volume One -

http://sacredtruthministries.com/books/philosophy-political-science-law-economics-exposing-conspiracies

Edited by Ernie Lazar

12 minutes ago, Ernie Lazar said:

Paul:  The actual publication (not the photograph) which is a transcript of Walker's testimony is available for sale from Sacred Truth Publishing -- which sells a lot of bigoted literature -- including compilations of pamphlets and booklets originally published by Gerald L.K Smith -- decades ago.

Some Collected Shorter Works of Gerald L. K. Smith, Volume One -

http://sacredtruthministries.com/books/philosophy-political-science-law-economics-exposing-conspiracies

Ernie,

OK, that's OK.   Yet the Internet link that you posted above was a different link than this one.    This one is OK.

If you happen to know the owner of the other link, above, please advise them that I am sharing that Internet link with the Briscoe Center for American History at the University of Texas at Austin which I am required to do by our agreement.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

P.S.  If anybody wants to DONATE to help me pay this debt to the Briscoe Center, you can use Paypal to my legacy email address: petrejo@sbcglobal.net.   Once I pay them, I can get back to work on my General Walker web site, which I abandoned six years ago because of their threat of legal action.  (I respect the Briscoe Center very much).

Edited by Paul Trejo

7 minutes ago, Paul Trejo said:

Ernie,

OK, that's OK.   Yet the Internet link that you posted above was a different link than this one.    This one is OK.

If you happen to know the owner of the other link, above, please advise them that I am sharing that Internet link with the Briscoe Center for American History at the University of Texas at Austin which I am required to do by our agreement.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

The Edwin Walker Collection -- i.e. 1208 photos of individual pages of documents at the Briscoe Center -- has been online on Internet Archive website for over 2 years"

https://archive.org/details/edwinwalkercollection&tab=collection

Their webpage appears to have been created by "Emma Best" who is associated with Muckrock.com.  I suspect she is related to Michael Best-- a prolific FOIA requester.

Just FYI:  Muckrock and Michael Best often copy documents obtained by other people and then post them online -- often without asking permission of the original requester.

On 11/14/2017 at 7:08 AM, Paul Trejo said:

Ron,

H.L. Hunt financed General Walker's campaign for Texas Governor.

Hunt also set up Walker in Dallas at Turtle Creek Boulevard, the neighborhood where Hunt's relatives were set up.

Walker couldn't afford that neighborhood himself because when he resigned from the US Army, he forfeited his Army Pension (which would have been about $100,000 annually in today's dollars). 

It was absurd that General Edwin Walker, who had 30 years of distinguished service in the US Army, and could have easily retired with full honors, chose instead to resign in 1961, and spit on his Pension.  It still makes no sense to me.

The only explanation I can find is some sort of 1961 deal with H.L. Hunt.

Hunt had financed the 1951 Presidential election campaign for General MacArthur, who had just been fired by Truman.  The myth that Walker was fired by JFK may have begun with H.L. Hunt.  Perhaps in 1961 Hunt had Presidential hopes for General Walker.  Getting  Walker elected Texas Governor in 1962 would have been a good first step.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

4011 Turtle Creek Blvd in Dallas today is estimated by Zillow to a salable value of $3.5 million.

The area is just south of Highland Park, very close to downtown, Love Field, Dealey Plaza, etc.   It's a tony neighborhood, probably beyond the reach of a US army general both then and now.

$3.5 million 2016 dollars is equivalent to between $120,000 - $568,000 in 1963 dollars.   There is quite a variance because there are many ways to compare the relative value of dollars across the decades, such as by comparing the cost of a typical consumer's basket of goods, or by comparing average wage, or by reversing inflation, and so forth.   It is of course possible or probable that real estate in this area of Dallas appreciated faster than even the most inflationary standard economic measures of relative dollar value.  

From 1958-1962 military pay remained the same.   Walker's last rank was Major General (i.e. a 2 star general), which was in the O-8 pay grade.   Walker was earning $1350 a month in army pay.  $1350/month is of course $16,200 a year.  In the early 1960s interest rate and lending environment, Walker's income would at the outside qualify him for a $40,000 home mortgage.  However, he has no demonstrable income after he leaves the army.

Can Walker afford the Turtle Creek Home on his own?   If not, where's the money coming from?    

An interesting original research find could come from the Dallas County courthouse if we could get someone off their lazy butts to do some easy work.....the value, ownership, and transfer records of Walker's Turtle Creek property might be illuminating.

Jason

A reliable way to compare dollars across the decades:

https://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/

military pay of Walker's era:

https://www.navycs.com/charts/1958-military-pay-chart.html

On 11/12/2017 at 7:47 AM, Michael Walton said:

The "5-10 165" announcement

This pair of dimensions is originally sourced to none other than the illustrious Marguerite Oswald.  

She sloppily uttered this guess of her son's size around the time he went to Russia.

I believe me and my colleagues are on the verge of retroactively concluding what is variously known as a Canary Trap, Blue Dye Test, or Barium Meal Test on this little tidbit of information.   Although mother Oswald was unaware of it's later importance, this version of Oswald's height and weight makes an interesting odyssey among the documentary evidence.  Precisely because it is uniquely wrong, it is in fact a unique marker in the flow of information. 

Mom's rather unmotherly knowledge of her son's size is I think about to demonstrate once and for all the source of the information in the DPD's broadcasts post-assassination; as well of course the true meaning of the Mexico City fiasco, among other illuminations now apparent wherever 5'10, 165 pounds appears in the record.

(hint: the CIA at all times knows Oswald's true height and weight)

Jason   

Edited by Jason Ward

1 hour ago, Jason Ward said:

4011 Turtle Creek Blvd in Dallas today is estimated by Zillow to a salable value of $3.5 million.

The area is just south of Highland Park, very close to downtown, Love Field, Dealey Plaza, etc.   It's a tony neighborhood, probably beyond the reach of a US army general both then and now....

Can Walker afford the Turtle Creek Home on his own?   If not, where's the money coming from?    

....the value, ownership, and transfer records of Walker's Turtle Creek property might be illuminating.

Jason 

Jason,

The following is my opinion:

When folks research the 1961-1977 status of the 4011 Turtle Creek Blvd, Dallas property, I believe they will find that it was always owned by H.L. Hunt and his Family -- i.e. that Ex-General Edwin Walker was a RENTER.

IMHO, Walker never owned the house.  I forget where I read that.   I would be grateful to learn how much Walker paid the Hunt family for RENT.

In early 1967, the Association Press (AP) owed Edwin Walker $3 million for printing in October, 1962 that  Walker was responsible for the riots at Ole Miss.   So, Walker's credit was good all over Dallas.  HOWEVER, later in 1967, that debt was appealed to the Supreme Court -- and the case was heard by Earl Warren himself!  Earl Warren decided for AP, and sent Walker home empty handed!

It was sometime around that period that Ex-General Walker decided to petition the US Army to recover his Pension (despite the fact that he had resigned in protest in 1961, instead of retiring gracefully.  It would take years for the Army to agree). 

Walker was still living on Turtle Creek Blvd in 1975; we know because we have postal mail to and from him in that year.  However, in 1977, Edwin Walker was arrested for public lewdness in Dallas -- for the 2nd time -- and I believe the Hunt family finally called it quits on Edwin Walker, their RENTER around that time.

IIRC Edwin Walker moved to the poor side of town in Dallas -- I forget the year and the neighborhood, but I would not be surprised if it wasn't Oak Cliff, where Lee Harvey Oswald used to live.   (Walker died in 1993.)

The last news article that he wrote (to the best of my knowledge) he sent to the biggest newspaper near his home town in Center Point, namely, in Kerrville, Texas.  In this final article, he linked his name with Lee Harvey Oswald and JFK one last time.  Here is that article: note the name of the newspaper on the 2nd page:

http://www.pet880.com/images/19920119_EAW_Oswald_arrested.pdf

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo
typos

On 10/24/2017 at 11:17 AM, Harry J.Dean said:

Hey Paul will the canada chap with three names  just fade away again?...... answer is, YES ! 

How many of us can say we were once considered a serious candidate for the famous unknown man pictured outside the Soviet embassy in Mexico City?

Screen_Shot_2017_11_16_at_6_51_42_PM.png