The Education Forum

Ken Burns' Vietnam

Martin Blank

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the DVD set.

Will be watching it soon.  And will review it also.

I watched last night's installment.

Much history going back to the 40's. Interesting.

Several photo's of Ed Lansdale standing with Diem.

Edited by Joe Bauer

Why?

25 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

I watched last night's installment.

Much history going back to the 40's. Interesting.

Several photo's of Ed Lansdale standing with Diem.

Will wait for Jim Di's review before commenting any further. 

It's a 10 disc set.  It will take him a while to watch the whole thing.  I missed last night's episode 1.  Tonight's episode 2 "Riding the Tiger" is relevant to this site.  It covers 1961 - 1963.  "President Kennedy wrestles with how deeply to get involved in South Vietnam.  As the increasingly autocratic Diem regime faces a growing communist insurgency and widespread Buddhist protests, a grave political crisis unfolds."

I wouldn't bet on NSAM 263 or 273 being mentioned by name.

Here's an interesting take on it.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ken-burns-apos-pbs-doc-173104887.html

Edited by Ron Bulman

I watched the first episode last night. It was excellent. What I like about Ken Burns is that he is heavy on interviewing persons who have first hand experiences to relate in contrast to those who rely on books and official documents, some of which may be purposely salted and planted to mislead, for the formulation of their views. I plan to watch the second episode tonight.

VIETNAMESE

We have seen the endless blaze

Emitting from your land

Watched you crouch in fear

Of your countrymen and mine 

Not French or Yank turned willing tread

To slay you or to die

The greed of Godless men planed your fate

And our own

"Our brothers" they oft proclaim it

Ensnared us in that lawless horror

Your fear is our fear....your death, our death

We are the people.

(C) H.J. Dean

That was a good bit more objective than I expected, educational also.  Not quite as deep politically as it could have been but still more than I expected.  Hearing a U S Soldier that served that early on say "We were probably the last generation to believe that our government wouldn't lie to us" surprised me in that they would allow it to be said on an MSM production.  I must also say I've never seen the Monk immolations presented to that extent, just a picture or two previously, which were quite graphic.  This was grotesque, terrible.  Withdrawal of "advisors" by 1965 was mentioned in relation to McNamara's plans but not JFK.  No NSAM 263.

Edited by Ron Bulman

No mention of NSAM 263?

And the withdrawal is McNamara's idea?

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

No mention of NSAM 263?

It  wasn't presented as his idea, at least I didn't take it that way.  I don't think whose idea it was is addressed.

W

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

Where is the layer of  truth that is actually the truth?

Chances are you won't hear anything abut NSAM 273 in the next installment either. that just might damage the conventional wisdom about how LBJ blundered into the the war when he and his backers actually had sought the war.

I am truly disappointed and plan to let Burns know what his crime is. No excuses. For this he should get an F

8 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

It  wasn't presented as his idea, at least I didn't take it that way.  I don't think whose idea it was is addressed.

it sure wasn't JFK's. it did give the impression that it was McNamara

can anyone send Burns Newman's book and tell him to get rid of his copy of the Best and the Brightest.

48 minutes ago, Martin Blank said:

it sure wasn't JFK's. it did give the impression that it was McNamara

can anyone send Burns Newman's book and tell him to get rid of his copy of the Best and the Brightest.

I took it as it was the administrations idea, I. E. JFK's.  Which, as you mention Dr. Newman, I think his book supports.  Go back to NSAM 111 and the Thanksgiving Day massacre of 61 and it's aftermath of firing Dulles/Cabbell/Bissell.  JFK showed his hand at that time by refusing to surrender to their demands for combat troops on the ground in Vietnam.  He continued this policy after his reorganization until his death.  He stated his intent to withdraw advisors by the end of 63 to more than one privately if I remember correctly. 

5 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

I took it as it was the administrations idea, I. E. JFK's.  Which, as you mention Dr. Newman, I think his book supports.  Go back to NSAM 111 and the Thanksgiving Day massacre of 61 and it's aftermath of firing Dulles/Cabbell/Bissell.  JFK showed his hand at that time by refusing to surrender to their demands for combat troops on the ground in Vietnam.  He continued this policy after his reorganization until his death.  He stated his intent to withdraw advisors by the end of 63 to more than one privately if I remember correctly. 

they have McNamara doing it in 1962! Why not mention JFK unless you're trying to confuse