The Education Forum

John Newman reports on a Lansdale document

John Newman posted this on Facebook today:

Michael Doherty posted this 1 November in response to something I had posted and it was way down in the thread:
“I found this in the NARA bulk download. 1st zip file, 2nd last document named docid-32977093. Memo for the record from Lansdale dated Oct. 30 1962. The end of the first paragraph appears to confirm that the CIA ran Alpha-66 operations against Cuban shipping, something they've denied for decades.....could be interesting. The record number is 145-10001-10273 but I do...n't think it's searchable on MFF or the NARA site yet.”
Michael was speaking about a Lansdale document released on 11/3/17—see the attachment.
I posted this reply to Michael today to pull it up to the top of a new thread:
Michael Doherty, Thanks, yes I have this memo in my 11/3/17 nuggets directory. I have found a different back door into what Lansdale was up to at this precise moment. He had a hand in U.S. Army ACSI (Assistant Chief of Staff for Intelligence) and other Army OSD (Office of the Secretary of Defense) elements at the Pentagon about the use of Veciana and Alpha-66 for various purposes. Lansdale did not want to let CIA know about what they were doing because he felt the Agency would try to take over the op. I am in the initial stages of vetting all of this for one of the two chapters in Volume III. I am going to discuss the Veciana-Phillips 1959-1960 Cuban saga at the Lancer conference in Dallas next week. The Lansdale, Army ACSI, OSD, involvement with Veciana and Alpha-66 will be part of the other, later, chapter covering the 1962 period.

See More
Image may contain: text

• 7 months later...

Here we are - Mr. Caddy posted this months ago and there were no responses. Lansdale and ACSI linked to Alpha 66. Prouty connects Lansdale directly with Dorothe Matlack, ACSI, and calls ACSI a ‘black’ operation. What other connections can we make with ACSI and Matlack? She was the coordinator for meetings with George DeMohrenschildt when he was meeting with government and CIA officials and Clemard Charles in NYC and DC in mid 1963. Jack Crichton and his 488th Military Intel attachment reported to ACSI. Colonel Frank M Brandstetter, like Matlack Hungarian born) joined the 488th in 1959 at the suggestion of (or maybe assigned by) ACSI, to whom Brandstetter reported for 19 years. The 488th ran the Continuity of Government communications bunker underneath the Dallas Fairgrounds, opened in 1961. Reportedly, members of the 488th included Captain Gannaway, Deputy Asst Police Chief and Retired Army Colonel George Lumpkin, and Westbrook, the where’s Waldo DP of the assassination. 

Edited by Paul Brancato

Office of the Secretary of Defense

30 October 1962

By Brigadier General Lansdale

Subject: Operation Mongoose

John McCone asked me to call him on the gray telephone this morning. I did so. He stated that he didn't know exactly how I was supposed to get word on this, so he was informing me to help out: at the Executive Council meeting this morning, the President had decided to hold back Operation Mongoose for the time being. Also during negotiations re Soviet missile bases in Cuba, there were to be no Mongoose sabotage or similar militant operations. McCone said that he had informed General Carter of this, but was letting me know, as Chief of Operations, to let the operations team know; he mentioned that Alpha 66 and the approved sabotage of Cuban shipping or to be held, specifically.

I commented that I just received a copy of the memorandum from him to the Attorney General, the Secretary Defense, etc., dated today, saying that CIA was still awaiting word from me on sending in 20 teams by submarine for intelligence collection, after I determined JCS and State requirements. I said that I had been told by McGeorge Bundy, on Sunday, 28 October, to hold up action on this for 24 hours and had promptly notify the CIA, and that yesterday, upon receipt of a memorandum from Bruce Cheever, on the same subject, I had taken it up again with Bundy -- and Bundy had told me that he would tell McCone to have the CIA hold everything. I presumed that Bundy had so informed McCone. Also, Harvey had called me Sunday night, asking my permission to discuss CIA assets with CINCLANT and JUWTF for contingency planning; I had given Harvey permission to assist in this planning, if he felt that the US military needed more planning help from CIA.

After the talk with McCone, I talked with Bruce Cheever Who assured me that he had similar orders from Carter and that all militant actions under CIA were being held at a stop. I gave similar orders to General Johnson for Defense/JCS. Lieutenant Colonel Patchell concurrently informed State and USIA along the same lines.

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/docid-32977094.pdf

Note the arrow pointing at Gen. Lemnitzer's name.

MONGOOSE 

Memorandum for the Special Goup (Augmented)

5 July 1962

Subject: Progress: Operation Mongoose

Contingency Planning: Rumors in mid June of a Cuban uprising led to my tasking Defense for further contingency planning. Including an inter-departmental plan. Defense reports this planning is progressing well......

"Eyes Only" copies to:

1. General Taylor

2. Mr, Johnson

3. Mr. Gilpatrick

4. Mr. McCone

5. Mr. Kennedy

6. General Lemnitzer

7. Chief of Operations 

Edited by Michael Clark

I don’t know if anyone noticed, but I believe we are getting close to Daniel Sheehan’s flow chart of the jfk assassination. Also, notice Miami CIA station.

Edited by Paul Brancato

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/docid-32981164.pdf

Senate Select Comittee Request for LBJ Material on Cuba and JFK Assassination.

05/24/76

---------------

D. State Department Memorandum. Document 9 is a December 1963 memorandum from Executive Secretary Read to  McGeorge Bundy concerning papers prepared for December Presidential meeting on Cuba. The memorandum indicates that the papers were prepared for the "Presidents", and then it was crossed out to state "Secretary's", use at 6 PM December 2 meeting. 

Edited by Michael Clark

24 minutes ago, Mike Kilroy said:

I think that’s a meeting ‘on’ Cuba Michael.

I've read so many documents regarding JFK's efforts to bring peace and rationality to the world that I actually didn't even think to read it over a dozen times to be sure. It actually seemed possible to me.

I edited my excerpt...

Michael

19 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

She was the coordinator for meetings with George DeMohrenschildt when he was meeting with government and CIA officials and Clemard Charles in NYC and DC in mid 1963.

DeMoh and Charles met with George HW Bush's right hand man Thomas Devine, WUBRINY1.

In Our Man In Haiti Joan Mellen says the meeting was about Charles instigating the overthrow of Papa Doc Duvalier.

I disagree.

I find it far more likely that Charles and DeMoh were there to set up a pipeline for Papa Doc's dope concession.

2 minutes ago, Cliff Varnell said:

DeMoh and Charles met with George HW Bush's right hand man Thomas Devine, WUBRINY1.

In Our Man In Haiti Joan Mellen says the meeting was about Charles instigating the overthrow of Papa Doc Duvalier.

I disagree.

I find it far more likely that Charles and DeMoh were there to set up a pipeline for Papa Doc's dope concession.

Exactly, Certainly not about sisal plantations. And who do you think was WUBRINY 2 ?