The Education Forum

New document releases 2017 and beyond

David Butler

7 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Is anyone asking themselves the same questions I am after looking at lots of this stuff?

First, the ARRB seems to me to have gone along with way too many postponements on flimsy  grounds.  In my recent article on this subject I noted that the CIA realized this pretty early on, in late 1995, that the ARRB would be easy to get deferments from.  Boy, were they.

Second, Hoover was determined to use any weapon at his disposal to make sure he would be able to intimidate the Commission and the critics.  Why the Review Board would want to go along and defer that info escapes me.  And why the MSM would want to discount it or not report it also is elusive.  Because today, Hoover's reputation is pretty much in tatters.

That dam is due for a renaming ceremony......

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, David Butler said:

Listed on the xls as having been previously withheld in full is this one from the 26th October 2017 release

409 page PDF on individuals of interest to the Protective Research Service - A few names we know in here Gerry Patrick Hemming, Richard Case Nagell,  Orlando Bosch

I was interested in this one though as I scrolled down

PDF page 388 - William Evert Randle

"Reason for PRS interest - 11/63 subject claimed to have 2 or 3 doors from LHO and knew Oswald personally. This is was rumoured if JFK came to Dallas, he would be killed"

"Date called to Secret Service attention - 11/23/63"

"Action taken - Interviewed 11/28/63 : denied knowing LHO and remarked only that Oswald had lived somewhere in neighbourhood. Information determined groundless, deemed not of protective interest."

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/docid-32241845.pdf

David,

Another interesting person in this Secret Service PRS file of 400 suspects, is the one on PDF page 47:

STANLEY DRENNAN

This guy was a leader of the NSRP in California, and an associate of Joseph Milteer.  Like Milteer, this guy Drennan was also reported to speak of the JFK Assassination only a few weeks before the actual Assassination.

The recent book by Jeff Caufield, General Walker and the Murder of President Kennedy: the Extensive New Evidence of a Radical Right Conspiracy (2015) shows a material connection between Joe Milteer and General Walker.   Drennan is also interesting in my CT.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

These three fitness reports on George Joannides for 1963, 1964 and 1979 have been released before some years ago. Seeing they were released as part of the 9th November 2017 batch I compared the versions here with the ones on the MFF site. These ones have the employee serial number complete 064818 and the grade is shown as GS-14 so there are slight differences. I'm not sure if anything can be gleaned from an employee serial number ? 

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/104-10304-10000.pdf

The 1979 one covers his HSCA work - "Further, the firm position that he took with the young investigators in response to aggressive harassment on some occasions was exactly what the situation called for."

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/104-10068-10061.pdf

is another report explaining how Mexican assets lied about what Oswald supposedly did....  in connection with a link earlier to a doc stating that the FBI must keep secret that they are down there "assisting" with gathering the evidence...

Over and over the stories which put Oswald in Mexico are shown to be false... created by the CIA.

Also,  https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/104-10068-10070.pdf

many of the routing slips have a single name whited out up near Phillips...  do we think this was HUNT trying to cover for even being in Mexico?

On another thread on this forum members identified one of the releases as Op Files (Staff employee) and no specific name given 

Here is another one with no name listed . I think this is the file of Arnold Arehart/Charles Flick - tape operations in Mexico City station

“Those who are unaware of it should know that subject spent many years, until last January, having to work with an unpleasant, venal, untruthful, and lazy supervisor of the operation. (The new president fired him)”

Quite the reference !

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/104-10222-10045.pdf

28 November 1963 memorandum by Lawrence F. Barker (Robert Shaw) on meetings with LITAMIL-9 (Luis Alberu Soeto) an informant in the Cuban embassy

Report mentioning the assassination starts on page 9.

He has called Barker/Shaw on the night of the 23rd. He “was asked if he had ever seen Oswald - no. Had he ever heard that Oswald visited the Cuban Embassy in Mexico - no. Did he know anyone in the Cuban Embassy that knew Oswald or knew anything about him - no. (At this time Sylvia Duran was in the hands of the Mexican Police but L-9 was obviously unaware of her detention). Asked what the reaction of those inside the Embassy was to the news of the Presidents death, L-9 said that he had heard very little talk about it, that the Saturday morning staff meeting was a short, perfunctory affair, but that just about everyone seemed to be truly shocked.”

They have another meeting on the 27th November — this bit is a bit indistinct -  Sylvia is back in the Embassy - ‘said that she has been held for 6 hours by the Federal Police. She seemed quite pleased with her performance - said she kept reminding the police that the constitution guaranteed her freedom from such persecution. To this the police just laughed and said that the constitution wouldn’t do her much good in jail, she had better cooperate if she wanted to get out. She freely/finally (?) admitted that she had seen Oswald in the Consulate, that he came looking for a visa” 

“L-9 had nothing more to offer on the assassination - was again shown a photo of Oswald - never saw the man. He said that there is not  much talk around the Embassy about the killing” 

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/104-10185-10266.pdf

His earlier reports from 1962 are in this one so he seems quite knowledgable about what is going on in and around the Embassy - It appears he identifies the LIERODE photo’s of people coming and going. I wonder if they ever asked him about the Oswald ones that aren’t….

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/104-10185-10265.pdf

Later ones are here

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/104-10185-10267.pdf

Also mentioned here

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/104-10185-10264.pdf

All the above were previously withheld in full and released in the 3rd November release. 

Would we expect the Cultural Attache to have had any encounters with the individual identified as Oswald on 9/27?  And on that same page above he reports that Duran confirmed the Visa visit.

I was going through these reports last night and I just come away thinking, what was this all for?  Obviously in the midst of the Cold War these people thought they were doing their part to take down the monstrous USSR and it's Communist brethren.  But in the end the information gleaned from the extensive surveillance operations around the Globe, and Mexico City in particular, amounted to a hill of beans.  It's truly hard to fathom the amount of time and energy that went into these colossal intelligence gathering efforts and in the highest profile investigation ever undertaken they are shown by the historical record to be little more than Keystone Cops.  Whether that was actually the case or a gigantic ruse is a worthy debate and the MEXI Station should really face much more scrutiny on this front.   

Alberu does have some interesting observations of Azcue, Mirabal, and Duran in early November 63 though.

5a2178348be91_AlberuNov4observations.thumb.jpg.6c4fe9a1ed82f9d971adc05ca5dd83ce.jpg

Edited by Brendan Boucher
Added Alberu observations

51 minutes ago, Brendan Boucher said:

Would we expect the Cultural Attache to have had any encounters with the individual identified as Oswald on 9/27?  And on that same page above he reports that Duran confirmed the Visa visit.

I was going through these reports last night and I just come away thinking, what was this all for?  Obviously in the midst of the Cold War these people thought they were doing their part to take down the monstrous USSR and it's Communist brethren.  But in the end the information gleaned from the extensive surveillance operations around the Globe, and Mexico City in particular, amounted to a hill of beans.  It's truly hard to fathom the amount of time and energy that went into these colossal intelligence gathering efforts and in the highest profile investigation ever undertaken they are shown by the historical record to be little more than Keystone Cops.  Whether that was actually the case or a gigantic ruse is a worthy debate and the MEXI Station should really face much more scrutiny on this front.   

Brendan - have you read State Secret?

The primary objective in Mexico City was to turn agents... to encourage defection and the sharing of information...

Castro sent agents to get doubled on purpose to infiltrate the US planning process...  I see that working much better than what we accomplished...  which as you say... was next to nothing from an informational POV...

We should remember that the CIA was last to the party.... 
Intelligence agencies from all over the world had been playing their games in Mexico..  The FBI had been entrenched since 1940 and the SIS... The Military intel agencies also had their agents as did the STATE dept....

No doubt the CIA took a while to ramp up effectiveness... sadly they found they were better at doing illegal, covert actions than gathering and interpreting intelligence...  Same with the FBI of the time....

That's why today's wholesale striping of the State Dept will have terrible consequences... diplomacy gives way to military and covert actions since these boys and girls are not thinning their ranks at all....

3 hours ago, Bart Kamp said:

A document on Senator Jac Kennedy and his family (daddy Joe and brother Robert) 15 pgs in all.

An interesting find, Bart. So Joe Kennedy was "known" by the local SAC. I guess the more money (and power) you have, the more you know your local friendly G-Man LOL.