The Education Forum

The very moment the world was change forever!

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:28 AM, Dan Doyle said:

Joe,

Before the parade, Kennedy and Johnson had a big argument about who was going to ride in the limo with the President.  Johnson wanted liberal Senator Ralph Yarborough and JFK wanted Governor Connally.  Apparently their argument was so loud that it could be overheard in the next room.  And as they say, the rest is history. 

What I find interesting in the Croft photo, besides the decent resolution, is that most of the JFK well-wishers on the sidewalk are African American....and what does that say about JFK and the Civil Rights Movement at the time??  

LBJ was Connally's parton in Texas politics.  They were both Conservative Democrats.  Yarborough was a (relatively) Liberal one.  Part of JFK's trip was to smooth the ruffles in the state party before the 64 election.  If LBJ had any possible foreknowledge that something Might happen who would one logically think he would prefer in the target car, his "enemy" or his "boy"?

24 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Paraphrase:  "Just get me elected and I'll give you your damned war".

USS Liberty, "I don't give a damn if the ship sinks".

right. you misunderstood. totally my fault.

the consensus is probably "You GD'ed right LBJ could be that ruthless. Who, among the sane-minded would think differently? Douglas Kinser...?" etc... etc... 

Edited by Glenn Nall

11 minutes ago, Glenn Nall said:

right. you misunderstood. totally my fault.

the consensus is probably "You GD'ed right LBJ could be that ruthless. Who, among the sane-minded would think differently? Douglas Kinser...?" etc... etc... 

No, I was responding to Joe's could LBJ be that ruthless.  LBJ was a scumbag.

On 11/28/2017 at 2:04 PM, Douglas Caddy said:

Billie Sol Estes told me that the only person LBJ feared was John Connally. He said that this was because Connally was even more ruthless than LBJ himself.

I wrote - and struck - about seven sentences which didn't convey the thoughts this level of ruthlessness conjured up - and I'm not even sure if I believe the assertion (that of Mr. Estes', not of Mr. Caddy's)... but really I have just this thought:

WOW.

effin' wow.

On 11/28/2017 at 12:19 PM, Ron Bulman said:

No, I was responding to Joe's could LBJ be that ruthless.  LBJ was a scumbag.

Capital "S."

It's funny if we could discover the secrets to this entire mystery by simply letting the scumbags fight it out, and may the best men win: Connally, Johnson, Sturgis, Landsdale, Hunt (either)... egads, I could type forever, couldn't I?

Ironically enough, Oswald wouldn't even be in the running, would he...

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 1:04 PM, Douglas Caddy said:

Billie Sol Estes told me that the only person LBJ feared was John Connally. He said that this was because Connally was even more ruthless than LBJ himself.

Is that maybe why LBJ supported Connally?  Mutual under standing?  I'll scratch your back if you'll scratch mine? As he had the greater power.

On 11/28/2017 at 11:04 AM, Douglas Caddy said:

Maybe it's the Texas thing, but I always thought Connally and LBJ looked kind of similar in cowboy hats.

This is to me the most relevant phone call on record between the two.

In 1967, notably after the death of David Ferrie, Connally phoned LBJ to tell him his speculation about a mistaken theory he had heard about the direction of Garrison's case. He tells LBJ he heard there were 4 teams of conspirators and Oswald, Ferrie  and Clay Shaw (I guess because of his inter national connections) were part of one team in a Cuban conspiracy to avenge  alleged plots to kill Castro, that the CIA was" instructed" to do. inferring that Bobby may have made the instructions without his brother knowing, despite  assurances to the contrary after the Cuban Missile crisis. LBJ responds that he's heard that theory, notably also from Jimmy Hoffa's attorney, but his sources have dismissed it as "ridiculous".

What I thought was curious was when LBJ refers to the CIA "reconstructing their request of me when I became President".  I've always wanted to think it's NSAM 273, but it seems like too much of a setup.

https://youtu.be/N50cBXvS_G0?t=7

I'm getting an error message that youtube doesn't allow the imbedding of this video, but I find that if you go to youtube and put this link into the url, it will come up.