The Education Forum

Chesser/Mantik cut from Mock Trial

Street elevation determined for shot approx 4ft short of Station# 5+00 = 416.83
Street elevation of sewer approx 414.20
Difference of 2.63ft
Determined height of JFK’s (top of head) at extant z313 = 3.27ft above the pavement.
2.63 + 3.27 = 5.9ft
Distance from sewer to JFK’s ( position in limo) at elevation 416.83 = 51ft

38957077532_b780a8e773.jpg

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Roger DeLaria said:

Any photos showing 1963 pavement level before the add-on, giving a much wider opening? I'm pretty sure I've seen a photo somewhere showing older and newer pavement put on top.

I found this.

Lightened it a bit.

27233954449_9b775c2713.jpg

You all might want to check the sewer plans which have been posted and discussed here many times - the size of the feeder channel connection to what is a storm drain in the street would be pretty relevant to  your discussion as well as the size of the cement casing behind that drain entry....

43 minutes ago, Chris Davidson said:

I found this.

Lightened it a bit.

27233954449_9b775c2713.jpg

Chris,

That's the photo I recall seeing, thanks for posting.

I understand that work was done on the drain and channels some years ago, and the openings were large enough for someone to go through down to the Trinity river. Photos of the western feeder from 1963 would be great to see, although I doubt there are any in existence.

2 hours ago, Larry Hancock said:

You all might want to check the sewer plans which have been posted and discussed here many times - the size of the feeder channel connection to what is a storm drain in the street would be pretty relevant to  your discussion as well as the size of the cement casing behind that drain entry....

Could someone lift off/recover the manhole lid , climb in and wait?

Chris, I don't have the plans at hand and don't want to do this from memory, Jerry Dealey made a lot of posts on this particular subject so perhaps a search would help.  From memory I can't even tell  you if there is a manhole directly above this street drain or if its further down the street,  I would say the first step would be to verify that location before speculation about a shooter entering and leaving unseen from the street. 

A quick search shows me that their is a manhole cover directly above the sewer drain and the scenario where someone could open it say the night before and get in place and then wait for some time...early morning say...and exit is at least doable.  The exit is pretty problematic though since that area had people in it for hours and days not to mentione passing traffic.  In any event, yes a manhole entrance is possible...

The storm drain shot at that extreme low angle would have been a 1 in a million shot to make - too narrow, the view field happening too quickly as the car went by.  Would they really have taken that big of a risk to make the shot and if they'd missed perhaps hitting someone else or a huge dent in the side of the car? No way.

The grating way down on the knoll in the photo above is much more likely and allows a quicker throwing of the gun to someone walking away with it.

Larry Hancock - I'm really surprised at you.  I'd never thought you'd be into such a far-fetched shot like the street storm drain :/

Michael, I didn't endorse it nor do I....it would be a hugely unprofessional move by the sort of tactical team I've proposed as conducting the attack.  What I did was to point out the issue with the size of the drain exit channel for that location - as compared to the drain at the back of the fence-line (the two are often confused) and then confirm that there was only street manhole access to the storm drain site.  Which means inserting your shooter the night before directly off the sidewalk and extracting him the night after - both by opening a manhole in clear view of the traffic that goes by that location literally all day and all night long.  Also, if anyone does any research, they will find that police patrols were in the plaza all that night long the evening before.  My point was simply that anybody coming up with a scenario needs to check all their facts,  I made no endorsement.