The Education Forum

St. John Hunt's letter to Caroline Kennedy

2 hours ago, David Josephs said:

Just for reference... the note HUNT supposedly scrawled in relation to his deathbed confession

And a photo of someone who appears to be Hunt walking across Elm...

5a304bf2cd7c9_huntschainofcommandjfk-FrenchConmanGrassyKnoll.thumb.jpg.e39a1b2d3227c83ef176904b4d3f5184.jpg

To me it looks like a sloppily written "French Gunman"

On 12/12/2017 at 6:57 PM, Roger DeLaria said:

Roger - 

I'm grateful for your signature.

Glenn

I want to say something about my earlier questioning of the veracity of Saint John Hunt and of the letter.

Up until now, and most likely mistakenly, I've had the impression that few people have given Hunt's deathbed confession much credence. I'm not sure what particular commentaries have led me to think this; maybe it's that I've mostly just come across comments of the "Hunt naysayers."  As much as I've wanted to, and even though I've always been partially convinced of Hunt's complicity, I have never bothered with listening to the tape or reading the confession because of this. It's important to me that I'm as selective as I can be with "questionable" evidence, for fear of tainting my own vulnerable objectivity with such dramma fantastico.

I was not aware, until now, that there are some of you of good repute who take it to one extent or another seriously.

Because of this thread I am glad to have learned this, and that I may look at Saint John Hunt and his dad's confession with a bit less scepticism.

Make no mistake, though - in my eyes there is never anything wrong with healthy scepticism in this JFK arena. I'm certain, as I read some of the drivel proposed in so many of these forums, that not nearly enough is employed.

On 12/12/2017 at 6:57 PM, Roger DeLaria said:

i kind of agree, but that all the other words are in CAPS and "Gunman" isn't... ???

oops - except the "h" in FRENCh, where he switches to lowercase... 

interesting...

Edited by Glenn Nall

On 12/11/2017 at 10:33 AM, Joe Bauer said:

Obviously LBJ and Meyer couldn't have done anything themselves regards something this big and unprecedented ( even thought it up ) without the approval and creative planning and involvement of the highest power people ( above them both ) who we all know.

The LBJ and Meyer did it story doesn't make sense without this larger context.

LBJ likely knew about the assassination ahead of time and been instructed as to what to do when it came  down.

And Hunt's loyalty and that of his usual accomplices was not to LBJ and Meyer. If Hunt and his team were involved as he claimed...they sure weren't taking orders from LBJ and Meyer and Hoover.

I do see a narrowed primary blame deflection to LBJ and Meyer by Hunt. Away from you know who.

Was that ole covert rascal Hunt being deceptive and loyal to his brotherhood as ever until his last breath? Quite probably based on his long career history.

And again, maybe Hunt was trying to get two birds in the hand with his LBJ/Meyer did it recollection.

Maybe he thought that the big media guys would pay his son big bucks for the rights to this Earth shaking inside story. Giving his son and other children some extra financial means he otherwise was unable to provide for them?

Another thought regards LBJ.  LBJ basically lost it in his final days. And not from simple dementia.

To assign him a personal psychiatrist and guard LBJ from public contact says to me that LBJ was suffering a kind of monumental guilt driven mental breakdown.

To such a degree that with a little bourbon he might just start raving to whoever was close by...all the super corrupt, even murderous things he was involved in.  My guess is this is the true story line with LBJ  in the end.

Look at David Morales in his final boozed up days...telling his friends ( bragging ) how we/they took care of that SOB Kennedy and his brother Bobby.

End of life boozed up lips often tell tales.

Wonder if Johnny Roselli loving Bill Harvey ever said anything while knocking down some hard shots in his final days and hours?

Joe - 

"Obviously LBJ and Meyer couldn't have done anything themselves..."

No offense. First of all, no, I don't think it's that obvious - it seems to me that LBJ had tentacles reaching darker places no other Presidents' reached. To say something is obvious is to assume that everyone sees things pretty much the same way, and in this thing that's so far from possible. Not saying that LBJ had any kind of lead role, just that it's not at all obvious.'

I would urge you to look at this, in its larger context, not as an hierarchical thing but as a coordinated thing - common enemies (rogue CIA, Mafia, Army, Big Oil, etc...) making temporary pacts in the interest of a larger cause, so to speak. This would remove LBJ from the pyramid tip and make him one of a few, perhaps.

This thing required coordination and orchestration, not one single shot caller...

This is just an alternate way of looking at this; no ONE leader, but a conglomerate - it's not my concrete theory - I don't have one.

1 hour ago, Glenn Nall said:

I want to say something about my earlier questioning of the veracity of Saint John Hunt and of the letter.

Up until now, and most likely mistakenly, I've had the impression that few people have given Hunt's deathbed confession much credence. I'm not sure what particular commentaries have led me to think this; maybe it's that I've mostly just come across comments of the "Hunt naysayers."  As much as I've wanted to, and even though I've always been partially convinced of Hunt's complicity, I have never bothered with listening to the tape or reading the confession because of this. It's important to me that I'm as selective as I can be with "questionable" evidence, for fear of tainting my own vulnerable objectivity with such dramma fantastico.

I was not aware, until now, that there are some of you of good repute who take it to one extent or another seriously.

Because of this thread I am glad to have learned this, and that I may look at Saint John Hunt and his dad's confession with a bit less scepticism.

Make no mistake, though - in my eyes there is never anything wrong with healthy scepticism in this JFK arena. I'm certain, as I read some of the drivel proposed in so many of these forums, that not nearly enough is employed.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/the-last-confession-of-e-howard-hunt-20070405

44 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Thanks for this, Doug.

Despite their unabashed (I learned that word from Playboy - the "dictionary" section always just after the centerfold) left-wing bent, RS has always had fantastic writers. This is a really good article.

"One of them had E. Howard's phone number, at the White House, no less, in his address book. Following this lead, police arrested Hunt and charged him with burglary, conspiracy and wiretapping."

The events between finding Hunt's phone number in the address book and charging him would make for some interesting fireside reading, I bet. Or Congressional reading... 

1 hour ago, Douglas Caddy said:

And, interestingly enough, the article doesn't even mention the Hunt v Liberty Lobby 1986 trial, and the jury's finding that Hunt was in Dallas, and that he, and "the CIA," were complicit in the murder. This finding contradicts a few things attributed to Hunt in this article...

Why is that trial so ignored? Regardless of what's-her-names lack of credibility, a large amount of the testimony and evidence is fully convincing - and the jury's finding on the record...

2 hours ago, Glenn Nall said:

Thanks for this, Doug.

Despite their unabashed (I learned that word from Playboy - the "dictionary" section always just after the centerfold) left-wing bent, RS has always had fantastic writers. This is a really good article.

"One of them had E. Howard's phone number, at the White House, no less, in his address book. Following this lead, police arrested Hunt and charged him with burglary, conspiracy and wiretapping."

The events between finding Hunt's phone number in the address book and charging him would make for some interesting fireside reading, I bet. Or Congressional reading... 

The article is inaccurate in what is stated here. Both Hunt and Liddy remained free from arrest for four months after the burglars were arrested at Watergate June 17, 1972. They were indicted along with the burglars in September 1972 and immediately arrested then. For example, at the first Watergate trial in January 1973 I testified that Liddy came to the law firm where I worked on  the Saturday after the arrests of the burglars on June 17 to confer about his case. At that time Hunt had disappeared and was in California because Dean had told Liddy to tell Hunt flee to Europe and a few hours later he changed this and Hunt was told to flee somewhere in the U.S.

Doug, I just read the article.

Really interesting back story info that sheds a better and more personal light on the whole E.Howard Hunt/St. John Hunt story.

Their personal relationship as father and son was obviously extremely dysfunctional and complicated.

St. John Hunt seems very much emotionally wounded by and at times even bitter about his lifetime relationship with his father, from childhood and even until his father's death.

From St. John's perspective his father E. Howard Hunt seemed to be a man who was very corrupted by decades of self indulgent, big ego, seductive James Bond type living and lifestyle - E.g. money, beautiful women, exotic travel, fancy cars, fine wine and dining and cigars, higher class country club set social gatherings, etc., etc.

At the expense of being a much more physically and emotionally there for his children father.

If St. John's recounting of his father stuffing $100,000 cash down his pants in the local bank branch safety deposit box room, to avoid any chance of this cash being discovered as E.Hunt knew he was being watched, is true...then Hunt's many public claims that he was always in financial stress during this time could very well have been a diverting charade to hide the fact that he had large amounts of hidden cash available to him.  And if he did, this just adds to the corrupt lying nature image many have always had of him versus his own super patriot - treated so unfairly one he often publicly promoted.

Where did this hidden away $100,000 cash ( equivalent to $500,000 in today's money) come from? Obviously from some corrupt endeavor versus legitimate honest income.

To me E. Howard Hunt was a man who became blinded and swallowed up by the seduction of a true life James Bond existence, that in the end revealed itself to be nothing more than totally self-indulgent and actually meaningless.

Edited by Joe Bauer

Joe: Your analysis hits home to a large degree but there are complicating factors. I really did not understand Howard until I saw the movie, "A Most Wanted Man", which is based on a John LeCarre story of a retired intelligence agent. Hunt was a veteran intelligence agent whose career started in the OSS in World War II. He was among the first employees of the CIA when the OSS was phased out.

As far as Hunt having a large amount of cash in the bank'ssafe deposit box and more hidden inside his home, this strikes me as  being a common occurrence among intelligence agents where untraceable and unaccounted government funds are made readily available for projects because "money is the easiest commodity", a phrase I heard Hunt use on more than one occasion. Has there ever been an audit of the CIA? 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=a+most+wanted+man+movie&view=detail&mid=C4B9CBCF2F8FA0C31DE3C4B9CBCF2F8FA0C31DE3&FORM=VIRE0&mmscn=tpvh&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3da%2bmost%2bwanted%2bman%2bmovie%26form%3dPRUSEN%26pc%3dUE07%26mkt%3den-us%26httpsmsn%3d1%26refig%3d2e8679b9ccd54fedbb29b16a0041423f%26sp%3d2%26qs%3dAS%26pq%3da%2bmost%2bwanted%2b%26sk%3dAS1%26sc%3d8-14%26cvid%3d2e8679b9ccd54fedbb29b16a0041423f

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Most_Wanted_Man_(film

Edited by Douglas Caddy