The Education Forum

At the time of the assassination, Southwestern Bell Telephone Company was the only telephone company in the state of Texas.   In 1994, my father retired as Vice Chairman of Southwestern Bell Corporation, as President and Chief Executive Officer of Southwestern Bell Telephone Company, and as Chief Financial Officer for Southwestern Bell Telephone Corporation.  Back in 1963, David Ferry was supplied a WATS line number.  David Ferry passed the number to Judyth Vary Baker and she and Lee Oswald were able to talk on the phone without any telephone charges being accrued.  When my mother passed-away in 2013, my brothers and I had to go through her home to prepare for an estate sale.  There was a cardboard box with "1963" written on the outside of the box.  I thought that since my older brother was born in 1963, it was a box meant for him.  I imagined it contained some baby clothes, a baby book and other things related to my brother.  When I saw the contents of the box, it was full of papers and handwritten notes concerning JFK as well as a handwritten letter from Lady Bird Johnson to my mother on the first lady's personal letterhead.  I'm currently in the process of trying to get all of the contents of that box and as I get more things from it, I'll post them here.

OK, but you were saying similar things in defense of JVB on JFKFacts in February of 2014, http://jfkfacts.org/fact-check-oswalds-girlfriend-is-she-for-real/.  Neither of your two posts, from 2014 and 2017, said anything about a cardboard box discovered in 2013.  How long does it take to obtain and inventory a cardboard box from your own mother's estate?

Assuming Robert G. Pope was your father, in 1963 he was working in the phone company's engineering department in Dallas.  The knowledge that "Back in 1963, David Ferry [sic - it's Ferrie] was supplied a WATS line number [and] passed the number to Judyth Vary Baker and she and Lee Oswald were able to talk on the phone without any telephone charges being accrued" frankly seems to me to be an unlikely piece of knowledge for your father to have had at any point in his career.

Someone calling himself RichardHall (is that you?) stated even more specifically on another site on October 22, 2017 that "Judyth Baker and Lee Harvey Oswald were provided a WATS line just prior to the assassination of JFK. The phone company issued the WATS line to the government, who then passed the number to David Ferrie, who passed it to Judyth Baker and Lee Harvey Oswald. Judyth and Lee made 6 phone calls using this line which was monitored for content. By doing this, the phone company was able to skirt the requirement for a wire-tap approved by the Justice Department."

So now we have the phone company issuing a WATS number to "the government," which in turn passed the number to Ferrie, all so "the government" could avoid the requirement for a wiretap to be approved by the DOJ.  This all seems to me like unusually specific knowledge for anyone to have.  (FWIW, the WATS system was very primitive in 1963, and I'm not aware that the DOJ had to approve wiretaps at that time.  To the best of my knowledge, the requirement for DOJ approval was imposed by the federal electronic surveillance statutes commonly referred to collectively as "Title III" in 1968.)

I thankfully know little about JVB or her story.  However, a Google search produced no claim by her that matches what you are claiming, which seems odd.  She did, however, claim (http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/sboard.htm) that "We used a special horse racing line set up through a payphone system run by the Mafia, using some key phone numbers to post long distance calls free of charge."  Hmmm ...

I recently listened to an interview with Jerome Clark, one of the gods of UFO research and the author of the two-volume UFO Encyclopedia and many other respected works.  Jerry has seen and heard it all.  In regard to tales like this, he said that he will no longer even listen politely.  You say you held a high position in the military, General X revealed everything to you, you saw the crashed disks, you saw the bodies, yada yada yada?  Don't bother me.  Give me hard evidence (which they never do) or go away.

I hope your cardboard box exists and is chock-full of juicy documents professionally dated to 1963 and earlier, but right now it doesn't pass the smell test.  Get back to us when you have the HARD EVIDENCE. 

Posted (edited)

Lance,

Thanks for your response.  I greatly appreciate it.  My mother died in 2013 and after the estate was settled, my older brother Ken ( who was born in 1963 ) stopped speaking to me, yet stayed in contact with my younger brother, David.  Here is the link to my father's obituary.  You will see that myself, my older brother Ken and my younger brother David are mentioned in the obituary.  

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dallasmorningnews/obituary.aspx?n=robert-g-pope&pid=561612

The telephone company worked with the government.  Of course, to tap a phone you need a warrant from the Justice Department.  However, my father also knew there were instances where you simply worked with the government when chances of getting a warrant would be dicey or if time was of the essence. You can google my father, yet you will not find one single picture of him.  One thing you will find is a copy of the Annual Report to the Securities Exchange Commission.  The corporate officers are listed within the report.  Here's the link.  http://getfilings.com/o0000732717-94-000005.html

My father NEVER gave interviews.  He stayed in the background.  He didn't like to play golf and he didn't like giving speeches.  He felt that was the job of the CEO, not the CFO.

The WATS line number was indeed given to the Central Intelligence Agency.  My father's handler was Ricardo Paz Trevino.  The link to read about him is http://www.griffincap.com/english/bios.html.  You will notice in his bio that he worked within the intelligence community as well with Southwestern Bell Telephone Company.

I have used the Facebook name RichHall because "Hall" is my middle name.  My mom's obituary shows that her maiden name was "Hall" and it also mentions me and my brothers by name as survivors.  The link is here.  http://porterloring.tributes.com/obituary/show/Shirley-Hall-Pope-96232505

The reason I changed my Facebook name to RichHall was because of harassments made by people from other JFK forums.  Also, it was necessary to change my email address several times as well as my cell phone number.  I do not have a LAN line in my home. 

You are certainly welcome to your own opinions and skepticism but everything I have said is the absolute truth.  There's really nothing more I can say.  I have found that many in the JFK community think they have most everything pinned-down.  When someone suddenly comes along with information they are not familiar with, these people can be very abrupt and honestly, arrogant and rude.  That's simply human nature.  So, I take no personal offense at all.

As for your Google search for Judyth Vary, she does mention the telephone number given to her by David Ferrie in the television series, The Men Who Killed Kennedy, As you may recall, three of the episodes that implicated LBJ in the assassination were forbidden to be shown in the US,  However, getting a copy isn't difficult.  It might even be on Youtube.  In an interview in that series, she mentions the phone number that David Ferrie gave to her so that she and Lee Oswald could talk on a payphone with no charges.  

If you take the time to read my father's obituary, you will see that in the 70's, he was the Chief Engineer for the entire state of Texas with Southwestern Bell.  You will also see what others within the company thought of my father's vision and insights.

Edited by Rich Pope

Rich, I'm not doubting your father's legacy and family history. But for me, that's where it ends as far as the plausibility factor. No one ever heard of Baker until 30 years after the fact.  What you have to understand is that there are fakers in this case everywhere, all in it for a little celebrity and cash, the proverbial motor that makes the world go around in America.

There are stories that the body was snatched from Air Force One as it arrived on live TV at Andrews and then "surgery" was done on it; when you point out the implausibility of it to true believers they switch tactics and say it took place at Love Field; there's the story that Oswald had a clone who was found in Hungary 10 years before 11/22, found by secret agents; there's a woman who claims to have filmed the assassination on the knoll but secret agents snatched the film from her - never mind she was 17 years old at the time and the person captured on film is frumpy and older; and there's Baker, who claims she gave Oswald cancer cells for him to take to Mexico and had an affair with him.

The old adage "too good to be true" certainly applies to this case and sadly the ones who cash in on it have actual true believers who have lost - or never possessed - the ability to let the hair stand up on the back of their necks when something sounds fake.

With all due respect, Rich, it sounds like you may have a treasure-trove of information, whether or not there is a connection to anything Judyth may have said.  Judyth has a tendency to create convoluted scenarios that are almost impossible to prove or, for that matter, disprove.  I think the concept of this WATS line for her and Lee may be one of them.  You can find my impressions of Judyth at findingjudyth.blogspot.com.  As you can see, I am quite jaded about anything she says...

I remember as a kid my father would ask, "Have you called your grandmother lately"?  Since she lived in a different city, my father gave me a set of numbers to dial before dialing my grandmother's home phone.  Using a WATS line was just as normal as flying on the corporate jet when I got older.  It was just a fact of life and it didn't seem out of the ordinary until I got much older and understood I lived a much different life than most people.  I didn't learn a lot of these things until my father developed colon cancer and when we discovered it had reached his liver, he knew he wasn't going to make it much longer.  All of the things he kept private soon became conversation points.  We would go the LBJ's ranch and he would tell us all the cool things they did in terms of telecommunications.  In fact, former CEO of AT&T Ed Whitacre didn't even know all the things that were put in LBJ's ranch house.  He was pretty amazed.  In fact, when my father took an interest in Tel-Mex, he and Mr. Whitacre were vetted by the NSA.  They started laughing because my dad didn't attend an ivy league school.  He graduated from SMU as a mechanical engineer.  He certainly didn't have an ego and got tickled that he was chosen to do some pretty important things.  

Please understand I'm not looking for anything, really.  I just love the topic and I've written a book that I doubt I'll even sell.  It's all kind of therapeutic  in a way because I lived in the shadow of a very, great man in my humble opinion.  So when you look at me and read my posts, I'm just a curious person who likes to talk to others about what they have learned about the assassination.  I like sharing what I know but not if I'm my integrity is going to be challenged.  That takes all the pleasure out of sharing with others.  I always surround myself with kind, honest people and life is just too short to fiddle around with haters.

Michael,

Thanks for the link!

Walt Brown goes through Baker’s book ME AND LEE on a nearly page-by-page basic throughout the first volume of his lengthy JFK ebook chronology (titled ‘Dynasty’, it runs up to the night before JFK’s murder).  That book by Walt runs for more than 1500 pages, and he devotes probably 200 of them to Baker’s claims, comparing them to other news reports and testimony and events, and judging whether Baker’s book is credible.  Before the end, Brown apologises to the reader for dragging them through Baker’s book, as her stories are so clearly fictional.  It’s always nice to see new research and archival material pop up, but after reading Brown’s lengthy excoriation of her work, Baker’s claims do very little for me.

Anthony,

I understand where you are coming from.  For many, Baker is all over the place with various claims that change on a regular basis.  However, out of all of her claims the one about talking to Lee Oswald using a phone number provided to her by David Ferrie is true.  

Posted (edited)

It seems possible to me that Judyth was indeed a young CIA employee who knew Oswald and Ferrie, and maybe even socialized with them. It seems possible to me that she embellished the story later in life in order to get attention. So maybe the WATS line story could be true even if much of the rest isn't. I'm curious to see what Rich finds in the box.

Rich, in reading material on your dad I noticed that he was originally an engineer with the company before moving up to executive level positions. And also that he was interested in wireless communications. I recall selling one my wireless communication development instruments to Southwestern Bell in the early 1990s and I wouldn't be surprised if he saw the instrument being used in one of their their R&D labs. At the time, a number of telephone companies were developing digital cell phone systems and some were experimenting with "spread spectrum" technology, which is what the focus of my company was. (I retired the company just a couple weeks ago after 33 years of operation.)

lrs220.jpg

LRS-200 Series Spread Spectrum Generator

Edited by Sandy Larsen

On 1/1/2018 at 2:33 PM, Rich Pope said:

Anthony,

I understand where you are coming from.  For many, Baker is all over the place with various claims that change on a regular basis.  However, out of all of her claims the one about talking to Lee Oswald using a phone number provided to her by David Ferrie is true.  

What evidence do you base your opinion on?

11 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

It seems possible to me that Judyth was indeed a young CIA employee who knew Oswald and Ferrie, and maybe even socialized with them. It seems possible to me that she embellished the story later in life in order to get attention. So maybe the WATS line story could be true even if much of the rest isn't. I'm curious to see what Rich finds in the box.[...]

Do you simply believe Judyth, or do you have some objective documentation to support your opinion?

Sandy,

It isn't just that my dad moved from being an engineer to management positions.  EVERY time a major promotion came up, my dad got it.  We were always moving to new cities.  It's like an invisible hand was pushing my father up through the company at an incredible speed.  And my father didn't go alone.  He pulled Ed Whitacre through the company just as fast.  My father once told me, "I jerked his butt up through that company so fast his head spun."  Ed Whitacre wrote a book and mentioned my father very fondly in the book.