The Education Forum
  • Announcements

• Evan Burton

OPEN REGISTRATION BY EMAIL ONLY !!! PLEASE CLICK ON THIS TITLE FOR INFORMATION REQUIRED FOR REGISTRATION!:   06/03/2017

We have 5 requirements for registration: 1.Sign up with your real name. (This will be your Username) 2.A valid email address 3.Your agreement to the Terms of Use, seen here: http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=21403. 4. Your photo for use as an avatar  5.. A brief biography. We will post these for you, and send you your password. We cannot approve membership until we receive these. If you are interested, please send an email to: edforumbusiness@outlook.com We look forward to having you as a part of the Forum! Sincerely, The Education Forum Team

So, I decided to go online and purchase a Carcano rifle with a period accurate scope.  I guess in layman's terms, I bought the rifle and scope Oswald was supposed to have used to shoot JFK.  I took the rifle and scope to a gunsmith and asked him to mount the scope.  Each week I would call to see if it was finished.  Two months later, they called me and said it was finished.  They explained all the difficulties they had side mounting the scope because of the bolt action of the rifle.  So, if Oswald purchased this rifle and a scope, I wonder if he had as difficult of a time getting it ready for target practice, shooting at General Walker and of course finally, Kennedy himself.  I understand that Oswald was a marine but he qualified (barely) with a completely different rifle.  Any thoughts?

Of Course, Oswald supposedly assembled his rifle from a broken down state, sometime between arriving at work and shooting JFK.

Michael,

So are you saying you believe Oswald could do it or do you think he didn't have the necessary skills to assemble the rifle and scope?  It's my understanding the scope was not zeroed and some claim it was defective.

Rich, I don't think that he owned a rifle, he did not bring one to work, didn't shoot the President. Also, no person could have operated a bolt action rifle, and fired it successfully at a moving target at that distance, through a scope, in the time frame given. The "bang......bang,bang" that most witnesses reported could not have been achieved on a single bolt action rifle.

Posted (edited)

Michael,

It is interesting that when I got the rifle back from the gunsmith, I had my three daughters try to work the rifle the way Oswald was supposed to have done.  Of course, the rifle wasn't loaded and to be frank, I'm not sure it can even be fired.  My oldest couldn't work the bolt action within the amount of time and my middle child couldn't either.  They are 25 and 21 respectively.  What's funny is that when my 18 year old tried to do it, she could.  Now, this is just recycling without aiming at a moving target.  And the bolt action jams a lot, making it totally unreliable.  But it is fun to have it with all of my JFK memorabilia.  

Edited by Rich Pope

Rich, for what it's worth, I talked to my son recently about this.  He owns guns and hunts. He told me you're supposed to test fire a gun with a scope. We all know that was never done from the time Oswald arrived that morning with his sack full of gun parts rattling around until the shooting. And I say this tongue in cheek.

In addition to that, we know in the CT community that the "piece of junk" MC found in the TSBD was the throw down weapon just like the bag and gun found in front of the store in Memphis was the throw down for the MLK murder.

Michael,

There is a book out there bearing the title, The Guns of Dealey Plaza.  I don't know how credible the author is but I enjoyed reading it.  

4 hours ago, Rich Pope said:

So, I decided to go online and purchase a Carcano rifle with a period accurate scope.  I guess in layman's terms, I bought the rifle and scope Oswald was supposed to have used to shoot JFK.  I took the rifle and scope to a gunsmith and asked him to mount the scope.  Each week I would call to see if it was finished.  Two months later, they called me and said it was finished.  They explained all the difficulties they had side mounting the scope because of the bolt action of the rifle.  So, if Oswald purchased this rifle and a scope, I wonder if he had as difficult of a time getting it ready for target practice, shooting at General Walker and of course finally, Kennedy himself.  I understand that Oswald was a marine but he qualified (barely) with a completely different rifle.  Any thoughts?

I don't know if LHO did target practice with the M/C.  There was a sighting, but that could have been an impostor.  And LHO had nothing to do with the M/C after he left NOLA.  It went with Ruth Paine and Marina.  

Ruth Paine is an interesting topic.  Ruth’s sister worked for the CIA as a staff psychologist in 1961.  However, I'm not sure if Ruth had any intelligence connection.  Her husband Michael Paine didn't like LHO just like my cello teacher, Lev Aronson didn't like LHO.  

Rich - Would love to know how long it takes to assemble the rifle with a dime.  The WR claimed their firearms expert could do it in 6 minutes. 

In fact, the WR infers that Oswald had to dissemble the rifle in the Paines garage that night without beIng detected.  

To its discredit, the WR doesn’t make it clear it’s be well nigh impossible for the rifle to be disassembled in a rug without losing screws or other parts in its travels.

4BB9A1BA-5E1D-4D7B-B9D1-F0A59D49D230.jpeg

Mike,

I would be willing to take it to the gunsmith who mounted the scope for me and ask if he could assemble it with a dime and how long it would take.  I'll let you know.

3 hours ago, Rich Pope said:

Mike,

I would be willing to take it to the gunsmith who mounted the scope for me and ask if he could assemble it with a dime and how long it would take.  I'll let you know.

That would be great. Thanks.

Mike,

BTW...Why do you want to see if the Carcano can be assembled with a dime?  Is that what Lee Oswald was supposed to have done?

Posted (edited)

Yes, according to the Warren Report that I excerpted above.

It’s my understanding authorities never found a screwdriver in the ‘sniper’s nest’ or anywhere else on the sixth floor. So the WR surmised he used a dime - or a ‘ten-cent coin as a tool’.

For me, the problems in assembling the Carcano in the TSBD has never been fully detailed.

Where does LHO do it? He couldn’t assemble it anywhere but the snipers nest without risk being seen carrying a rifle. So he must drop the bag of parts and screws behind the boxes. But he has no clue whether employees will be on the sixth floor, and indeed one account has a fellow employee there until 12:15 eating a chicken lunch. That’s just 10 minutes before the motorcade was scheduled to appear, which gives LHO that amount of time to get in the snipers nest, rip open the bag and assemble the Carcano that he hadn’t even touched for months. One screw dropping and rolling out of sight and the president isn’t killed. Seems like an awfully high pressure situation to pull off for the alleged assassin.

Edited by Mike Kilroy