The Education Forum

Henry Kissinger Warned Trump About the CIA

At the time, I found it odd that Trump’s first official visit as president was to CIA headquarters for a speech to its officers. It seemed obvious it was meant as an olive branch to mend fences after Trump had publicly criticized them. But I wondered whose idea it was.

I’m in the process of reading Michael Wolff’s Fire and Fury and in it he talks about all the calls Trump got after he won the election from influential people inside and outside government warning him about the “deep state” and telling him not to piss off the intelligence agencies, who will get revenge on him (a lot of stuff similar to that Chuck Schumer quote from earlier this year). But what struck me was that Henry Kissinger called Jared Kushner and told him Trump needed to make nice with the CIA and that’s why Trump went there immediately after becoming president. 

That's right, Kissinger, with his complicity with the CIA should have been in jail for War Crimes years ago.

By your statement It's hard to know what Kissinger was warning Trump about. Leaving aside the subsequent issues that have arisen about emoluments, international money laundering, obstruction of justice, conspiring with foreign powers. In hindsight, it could be very simple. Maybe he correctly foresaw  Trump was a fool and thought it necessary to explain the obvious that you're going to need these agencies backing and have to work with them  and there's no percentages in pissing them off. And it's obvious now, he's not going to bring them down. Polls show more people think he's probably guilty of some wrong doing than those who don't. Trumps  base is  an unlikely but firm coalition of Corporate Elites who love him (though some wish he'd get off twitter) and people who have had no hope for so long, that they have no expectation of hope in the future, and so will not hold his feet to the fire over anything.(To the joy of the corporate elites!) But equally entrenched are the "Never Trump" people.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway