The Education Forum

Hoover: The President wasn’t hit by the second one LBJ: I say if Connally wouldn’t have been in his way. Hoover: Oh yes, yes! The President would of no doubt been hit. LBJ: He would of then been hit three times. Hoover: He would have been hit three times

Paz Marverde

16 hours ago, Paz Marverde said:

LBJ: I say if Connally wouldn’t have been in his way.

The first time I heard this, I thought it sounded rehearsed--like they both knew they were being taped. The eager beaver Hoover works to get out the facts and Johnson does that old 'you're more than the Director, you're my brother' bull. What's really interesting, of course, is what the hell either of them meant. How could Connally "be in the way" of a shooter from behind?

What is the date and time of this Paz?

36 minutes ago, Robert Harper said:

How could Connally "be in the way" of a shooter from behind?

Because Hoover didn't know what he was talking about or else knew there was a shooter from the front. All anyone knew was that Oswald was taking the fall.

Edited by Ron Ecker

4 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

What is the date and time of this Paz?

Friday, November 29, 1:40 pm.

7 minutes ago, Ron Ecker said:

Because Hoover didn't know what he was talking about. All anyone knew was that Oswald was taking the fall.

That's right, Appreciated, but this is nothing new.

7 minutes ago, Ron Ecker said:

4 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

That's right, Appreciated, but this is nothing new.

Hoover also told the WC that Oswald couldn't shoot JFK on Houston Street because there was a tree in the way. I guess only Oswald and Hoover could see it.

Ron:

The thing about the tree is that we know he was deliberately lying about that.

But now that you have produced the date and time: the Zapruder film was in DC already and the FBI had viewed it. 

What I think this means is that, one week later, Hoover is really suggesting the sniper was in front of the car.  

If that is right, then I think this is significant.

Edited by James DiEugenio

This has always been around. What surprises me is that I  thought this conversation took place the next morning after the assassination.

That is it seems now that this was too long after  the official story of the assassination was created, at least as I had thought.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

7 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

But now that you have produced the date and time: the Zapruder film was in DC already and the FBI had viewed it. 

What I think this means is that, one week later, Hoover is really suggesting the sniper was in front of the car.  

If that is right, then I think this is significant.

Michael Beschloss claims that LBJ simply "misunderstands" what Hoover is saying, which doesn't make any sense (Taking Charge, p. 55).

Hoover states that the shots came from "the building where we found the gun." I think a possible and simple explanation of this weird exchange between LBJ and Hoover is that neither one of them knew that the building in question was behind JFK, not in front of him. But that would mean that neither one of them knew, a week after the shooting, that JFK was officially shot from behind. How is it possible they wouldn't know that? The alternative is that they are just openly talking conspiracy.

Edited by Ron Ecker

But Ron, the Zapruder film shows the car route going in front of the TSBD.

Is it possible that Hoover gave this case such a low priority that he did not know that by this time, one week later?

I guess it is, but its disturbing to think so.

26 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

But Ron, the Zapruder film shows the car route going in front of the TSBD.

Is it possible that Hoover gave this case such a low priority that he did not know that by this time, one week later?

I guess it is, but its disturbing to think so.

Well, they were both disturbing people, and the conversation suggests that neither one of them know what they're talking about except that JFK and Connally were both shot and a gun was found "on the fifth floor" of a building. Would they be talking conspiracy in such a carefree manner, with LBJ, if not Hoover, knowing that it's being taped?