The Education Forum

General Walker, Lee Harvey Oswald and Dallas Officials

19 hours ago, Jason Ward said:

4. Ruby implicates Gen Walker in his testimony.  Somehow this is ignored by most every CT.   Do you see Walker behind Oswald's assassination or is this a surprise to Walker?

I believe that Oswald's Raleigh call leads to Oswald's death....but that is a very long story.  Look to Ruby's lie detector test and perhaps we can talk further about this.

Jim Root

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Jason Ward said:

Jim, I've tried to read over your posts regarding these letters, and if I read you correctly your main point is that this  shows enmity between McCloy and Walker; or, by extension, between the JFK administration and Walker.  right?

Furthermore, your overall view is that the assassination is in it's most critical context a controversy over US/Soviet relations, right?

Jason your second suggestion is, I believe, spot on.  More importantly I believe that Kennedy's failure to push for a comprehensive nuclear test ban treaty in the months preceding his death is what put in motion the events that allowed Oswald to put Kennedy within his sights in Dallas.  McCloy quit as Kennedy's chief arms negotiator in the months prior to the assassination.  After the assassination McCloy would once again become America's chief arms negotiator.  

If Oswald were to live or not the one person that could put the pieces of who Oswald was would have been Walker.  

During WWII Walker did a couple of missions that were very closely tied to McCloy.  Little remembered today is that near the end of WWII a vast treasure of Nazi loot was discovered in Bavaria at Merkers Mine.  Sec. of the Treasury Morganthau felt that he should be the one to control the future of this liberated wealth.  In his early fight with Asst. Sec. of War McCloy it was McCloy that would use the First Special Services Force commanded by Edwin Walker to guard and move this tremendous sum to a place that McCloy would control.  McCloy would also be the one to make the plans that would decide the future of Germany vs the Morganthau plan.

McCloy at the time of that letter had, along with Maxwell Taylor, been in a dispute with Kennedy over Nuclear Arms.  I believe I have written several posts on this in the past.

Jim Root

11 hours ago, Jim Root said:

Hello Jason 

During the Select Committee on Assassinations the question of entry into the Soviet Union via Helsinki was asked and answered when a memo was declassified where Ambassador Hickerson sent a message that stated that he had learned that a person could receive a Visa within 24 hours if they first exchanged US money for Russian Intourist vouchers.  

Jim Root

Thanks for talking with me, Jim.  I appreciate your seriousness and concentration on facts versus imaginative speculation.  I am reviewing your posts in detail.   Below is what the CIA said to the WC about getting visas in Helsinki - odd to me that the CIA was tasked with this, btw.  

The official version of Helsinki seems to evolve from 1964 (inexplicable how Oswald gets the visa so quickly) to a later version in the 1970s submitted by the HSCA.  The HSCA says there is a KGB agent, Greg Golub, who is so friendly with his CIA counterpart in Helsinki that they go out for drinks regularly and muse about how to get Americans into the USSR quickly.

1. 1964 Explanation 

CD1358_helsinki_visa_1.png

CD1358_helsinki_visa_2.png

2. The 1964 explanation is recognized as problematic by the HSCA and is resolved by this explanation (ch 5, p.212):

HSCA_report_Helsinki_Golub.png

3. Bill Simpich offers this in Chapter 1 of his book State Secret, available here: https://www.maryferrell.org/pages/State_Secret_Chapter1.html

Simpich_State_Secret_Helsinki_Golub.png

Simpich_State_Secret_Helsinki_Golub2.png

16 hours ago, Jim Root said:

Hello Jason 

Oswald's travel from London to Helsinki is one of several questions that bugged me for years.  At first it was for no other reason than the passenger list were not made public in the Warren Commission Report.  As I focused in on Edwin Walker .

Jim Root

Jim,

Reviewing the historiography of the assassination is sometimes revealing, limited of course by the unprofessional approach used by most writers.

1. Initially, the explanation for Helsinki was that there was no explanation for how Oswald got the visa so fast.  Then, 

2. Robert Anson's book, They've Killed the President! (1975), calls into question Oswald's European tour in 1959, focusing in particular on the quick visa issued in Helsinki for Soviet travel.  This, in turn, provokes

3. The HSCA's response to Anson's book.  They supply previously unknown information that the CIA and KGB are so friendly in Helsinki that their agents go out boozing together, try to pick up girls, and, naturally, discuss the technique for getting Americans into the Soviet Union as quick as possible. 

Have I hit the high points here in how explaining Helsinki evolved, or am I missing something?

The critical question is of course...how does a young man of modest income, limited education, and no social standing -like Oswald- determine the one city in all the world where Soviet visas are issued immediately to Americans?   Who in the world can possibly know that the KGB and CIA agents in Helsinki are drinking buddies who chase girls, see concerts, and cordially work together in creating a unique express entry point to the USSR for Americans?

Jason

All of the below are from HSCA staff notes:

a_NSON_OSWALD_EUROPE_HELSINKI.png

Helsinkig_hsca.png

Helsinkig_golub_kgb.png

HSCA_staff_notes_Helsinki.png

Edited by Jason Ward

What follows is an assortment of evidence related to General Walker, Oswald, the Radical Right, and JFK I've collected lately - in no particular order, but maybe someone will find something interesting here.

From the New Orleans Grand Jury testimony of Marina:

Orleans_county_grand_jury_Marina_Walker_

From a Kennedy Administration internal policy memo:

JFK_speech_rad_right.png

A letter to J Edgar Hoover at the time Garrison was attracting headlines:

American_Preferred_letter_to_Hoover_1_LH

American_Preferred_letter_to_Hoover_LHO_

From Jerry Rose in the Fourth Decade:

Garrison_rad_right.png

Letters from Larrie Schmidt mentioning General Walker:

Larrie_Schmidt_Walker_Dallas_FBI_Hunt.pn

Larrie_Schmidt_to_Bernie_Weissman_CD.png

Grand Jury Testimony of Richard Lubic suggesting Garrison implicated Walker and the Radical Right

Lubic_says_Garrison_implicates_Walker.pn

Garrison_implicates_Walker.png

Edited by Jason Ward

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:42 PM, Lawrence Schnapf said:

Paul- Marina's testimony would not be admissible because of the spousal immunity doctrine. indeed, she should not have been able to testify before the Warren Commission. she also had over 40 interviews by the secret service without the benefit of counsel before she appeared before the WC. The veracity of her testimony is highly questionable-especially since she testified that she was afraid of being deported and made it clear that she was trying to cooperate to avoid such an outcome. 

Lawrence,

The exception to the rules you cite, is that this was the POTUS.   By Texas Law, the corpse of JFK should not have been removed from Parkland Hospital.   Oh, well, this was the POTUS.   Exceptions abounded everywhere.

Whether or not Marina Oswald "should" have been called to testify, the historical fact remains that she did testify under oath.   One of the greatest divisions between JFK researchers of all varieties is whether or not Marina Oswald told the truth during her WC testimony -- whether she stretched a few lines here or there -- or whether she was a KGB agent who completely pulled the wool over the eyes of the US Government.

If you can show me EVEN ONE PLACE in Marina's sworn WC testimony where she lied -- I would be very happy to be refuted.   I have made this challenge on this Forum for years now, and nobody has been able to do it.  NOBODY.

Almost to a man, they cite the week that she was arrested and mistreated by the FBI, when she denied everything continually.   That evades my challenge.

Of course Marina was afraid of being deported.  She despised the Communists with every fiber of her being.   This was one big reason for marrying Lee Harvey Oswald in the first place -- to goad him to move back to the USA.   Marina Oswald loved the USA back in 1962, and she loves it today.   Of COURSE she didn't want to be deported.   What you're missing, I believe is this -- IF SHE HAD BEEN CAUGHT IN ONLY ONE LIE -- SHE KNEW SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN DEPORTED.

So -- that is actually further evidence that Marina Oswald was motivated to tell the full and complete truth, as she knew it, to the Warren Commission in 1964.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo
emphasis

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:10 PM, Jason Ward said:

The letters you posted between John J McCloy and General Edwin Walker are here:

Jim,

Kudos to you for revealing this correspondence between General Walker and John McCloy, five months before the JFK Assassination.    In this exchange, General Walker resigns from the US Military Academy Association of Graduates, because he could not tolerate watching John McCloy win the Sylvanus Thayer Award in May 1963, from that Association.

What a hothead.   This was like quitting the US Army in a huff, and forfeiting his 30 year Army pension, when he could just as easily have retired and collected his pension.   General Walker was a stunt-puller and a whiner.   

All best,
--Paul

Edited by Paul Trejo

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:18 PM, Jason Ward said:

minutemen_11dec63_newsletter_oswald_is_a

I note that this post-JFK document is a John Birch Society and Minutemen production -- and the rhetoric in this letter is identical to the rhetoric of Ex-General Edwin Walker.

Walker, said FBI agent James Hosty, was "the leader" of the Minutemen in Dallas.   In my humble opinion, Ex-General Walker was the true leader of Minutemen coast to coast.  

Sure, Robert DePugh was the founder -- but who led the rallies?   Who gave the speeches?   Who rallied the troops?   Who called them en masee to Ole Miss?   It was Walker.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:20 PM, Jim Root said:

... As I focused in on Edwin Walker I found that it was possible that Walker was traveling in Europe at approximately the same time as Oswald...The Swedish government suggested that Oswald was in Stockholm during his journey to Helsinki. With the help of a researcher in Finland we were able to find that the most likely plane (of three) that landed in Helsinki started the day in Frankfort went on to Hamburg then Stockholm and finally Helsinki.  

Walker would have traveled to either Frankfort or Hamburg prior to arriving in Augsburg.  We were able to prove that there were planes from London to Frankfort that would have allowed Oswald to arrive in time to board that plane and the same is true if he flew to Hamburg...

...Ambassador Hickerson sent a message that stated that he had learned that a person could receive a Visa within 24 hours if they first exchanged US money for Russian Intourist vouchers...That message was sent one day before Oswald arrived, and it appears he followed the directions exactly as Ambassador Hickerson suggested.  

...But there was a second earlier Hickerson message...Hickerson had learned that the Soviet Ambassador could issue visas into Russia without having them cleared by Moscow.  That...was a day before Oswald applied for his Passport in Santa Ana, California where Oswald lists...Helsinki...Those two notes and how they overlap with Oswald's travels are a troubling coincidence. 

One more coincidence is that Ambassador Hickerson and Edwin Walker's paths would have crossed during WWII when Walker was involved with the a joint Canadian/American force known as the First Special Services Forces.  Hickerson was the American diplomat that was coordinating with the Canadians on the use of allied forces in Europe.

----

For me this is rather simple....Lee Harvey Oswald believed Walker did not want peace.  My suggestion is that if Walker...provided Oswald with the information necessary to easily enter the Soviet Union and if...Oswald provided information...to down the U-2 spy plane on October 1, 1960, which then led to the failure of the Paris Summit, Oswald could have seen himself as a patsy...set up...[by] Walker...Oswald's speech at Spring Hill Colleges suggests that the failure of the Paris Summit weighed heavily on his mind.

Jim Root

Jim,

You have pieced together many disparate puzzle pieces -- and I cannot deny their plausibility.   Yet they remain out of character for the Lee Harvey Oswald that I envision from his WC testimony, the testimony of those who knew him, and his age -- just 19 years old when he entered the USSR.

To make your scenario work, I would need to move the 23 year old Oswald back to 1959.   That doesn't work for me.

Even if LHO and General Walker did see each other on a plane to and from Germany, what are the possible odds that they would recognize each other?  On what basis would a US General who was just entering his Augsburg command from Arkansas, USA, where he successfully integrated the Little Rock High School, wish to recognize a 19-year old Marine who was on family leave, on his way to enroll in Albert Schweitzer college?   

Where would they have met before?   How would Oswald had even heard of General Walker in 1959?   In 1959, Walker was nobody special beyond a two-star US General.

Further, I find nothing to convince me that Oswald actually gave Russia any military secrets.  For one thing, the day Oswald entered the USSR, the Marines changed all their radar codes.   That was that.  We have that from WC testimony of the Marines themselves.   For another thing, Oswald never gave up his US passport, he never applied for Soviet citizenship, he never applied for membership in the Communist Party, and therefore he never became a KGB agent.  

Instead, Oswald married a Russian girl from an old aristocratic family, who hated the Communists with a purple passion and could not wait to get the hell out of Russia.

In my CT, the reason that Oswald in 1963 (four years later) tried to assassinate General Walker, was because he truly believed that these were the wishes of George De Mohrenschildt and Volkmar Schmidt (and possibly Michael Paine).   If Oswald also believed that George DM was CIA, then he possibly hoped (in his young naïveté ) that George DM would be impressed with the Walker assassination, and give Oswald a full-time job in the CIA.

For all his brains, Oswald always reveals an emotional neediness.

All best,
--Paul

Edited by Paul Trejo
typos

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:32 PM, Jim Root said:

Walker was considered a political enemy of Kennedy who lived in Dallas.  I believe that upon hearing that Kennedy had been shot in Dallas Walker wanted to prove that he was not in Dallas.  Simple as that.  After that though Walker, just as every American, saw the image of Lee Harvey Oswald painted on every TV screen in America.  It is my belief it was then that Walker recognized Oswald from Walkers involvement in helping Oswald enter the Soviet Union. Within hours Walker is doing an interview with a German publication which prints a story that says Oswald tried to kill Walker.  My suggestion is that Walker knew immediately that Oswald was a subject of interest to US intelligence and to Soviet intelligence and that he, Walker, could be tied to the Oswald.  That to me would be a very scary prospect Walker would have to deal with......until Oswald was dead.

Jim Root

Jim,

In my CT, based on Dick Russell's interview of Natasha Voshinin, the death manuscript of George DM, and the personal papers of General Walker, the first encounter that General Walker has with Lee Harvey Oswald is on April 10, 1963, when Oswald tries to kill Walker in order to please George DM.   George DM is not pleased, but freaked out, and rushes to Natasha Voshinin that weekend to confess his suspicions -- and that he and Jeanne saw Oswald's rifle with scope. 

Nathasha told Dick Russell that she called the FBI that very morning -- Easter Sunday, April 14, 1963.   This is "within days" of the Walker shooting.   She names Lee Harvey Oswald to the FBI.   According to James Hosty himself, his job in the FBI was largely tracking General Walker.   According to Penn Jones, Jr., our FBI agent James Hosty was the bridge partner of Walker aide, Robert Alan Surrey for years.

Is there any surprise that General Walker would hear the name of Lee Harvey Oswald from high sources in Dallas after that very hour?   None, in my mind.  This is where the personal papers of General Walker come in.   Here's only one of many examples -- that 1975 letter to Frank Church:

http://www.pet880.com/images/19750623_EAW_to_Frank_Church.pdf

I want to emphasize a phrase from that letter: "within days."    That phrase matches what Natasha Voshinin told Dick Russell.   This impresses me.

All best,
--Paul

Edited by Paul Trejo

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:21 AM, Jason Ward said:

Thanks for talking with me, Jim.  I appreciate your seriousness and concentration on facts versus imaginative speculation.  I am reviewing your posts in detail.   Below is what the CIA said to the WC about getting visas in Helsinki - odd to me that the CIA was tasked with this, btw.  

The official version of Helsinki seems to evolve from 1964 (inexplicable how Oswald gets the visa so quickly) to a later version in the 1970s submitted by the HSCA.  The HSCA says there is a KGB agent, Greg Golub, who is so friendly with his CIA counterpart in Helsinki that they go out for drinks regularly and muse about how to get Americans into the USSR quickly.

1. 1964 Explanation 

2. The 1964 explanation is recognized as problematic by the HSCA and is resolved by this explanation (ch 5, p.212):

3. Bill Simpich offers this in Chapter 1 of his book State Secret, available here: https://www.maryferrell.org/pages/State_Secret_Chapter1.html

Jason,

I agree that Jim is a serious JFK researcher, and has always proven to be a genuine asset to investigate General Walker.   As for the possible help of the KGB to get Oswald from Helsinki into the USSR, I will take a skeptical position, however, until positive evidence is produced.   So far we have only innuendo.

My CT weighs the following facts.  Lee Harvey Oswald was 19 years old when he entered the USSR, spending nearly the entire year of 1959 as a Marine on duty at El Toro Marine Base in Southern California, struggling to teach himself to read Russian, carefully watched by other Marines and his commanding officers, and almost never leaving the Marine base, i.e. saving all of his meager Marine salary.  When Lee left the Marines, he had thousands of dollars of his own -- something he never had before in his life.

Lee had taught himself Marxism as a teenager wandering the streets of New York city in the mid-1950's, when he got into trouble with the truant authorities there.   Lee was already a defensive personality, and his Marxism was his badge of resistance to "the Establishment."   Yet Lee was never a Communist.

The proof is that after Lee got himself into the USSR, he never surrendered his US citizenship; never applied for USSR citizenship, and he never joined the Communist party.  Additional evidence includes his personal papers, and his language to others later, sharply criticizing the USSR for social failings.   Marina held the same opinion.

As for Lee allegedly entering the USSR with KGB help, obviously the historical facts fail to support that scenario.   Lee was denied entry by the USSR.  Then he slashed his wrists.  He was rushed to the emergency hospital, and there the USSR had to decide -- here was a mere 19-year old boy slashing his wrists to get into their great country, they said.  Now, there were dozens of US citizens applying for USSR entry every year.   What would they do?    Perhaps this one is interesting.  They would keep him in Minsk, where they keep all suspected guests -- put him to work and keep an eye on him.

All best,
--Paul

Edited by Paul Trejo

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, Jason Ward said:

Jim,

Reviewing the historiography of the assassination is sometimes revealing, limited of course by the unprofessional approach used by most writers.

1. Initially, the explanation for Helsinki was that there was no explanation for how Oswald got the visa so fast.  Then, 

2. Robert Anson's book, They've Killed the President! (1975), calls into question Oswald's European tour in 1959, focusing in particular on the quick visa issued in Helsinki for Soviet travel.  This, in turn, provokes

3. The HSCA's response to Anson's book.  They supply previously unknown information that the CIA and KGB are so friendly in Helsinki that their agents go out boozing together, try to pick up girls, and, naturally, discuss the technique for getting Americans into the Soviet Union as quick as possible. 

Have I hit the high points here in how explaining Helsinki evolved, or am I missing something?

The critical question is of course...how does a young man of modest income, limited education, and no social standing -like Oswald- determine the one city in all the world where Soviet visas are issued immediately to Americans?   Who in the world can possibly know that the KGB and CIA agents in Helsinki are drinking buddies who chase girls, see concerts, and cordially work together in creating a unique express entry point to the USSR for Americans?

Jason

Jason,

This is indeed interesting material -- and the question about how Lee Harvey Oswald could learn -- on his own -- at 19 years old -- that Helsinki was the easiest place in the world to obtain a quick visa into the USSR -- remains very much open.

There are a number of possible scenarios.   The CIA-did-it scenario hopes to find some CIA plot manipulating LHO into Helsinki.   If one can do that, then one can also propose that General Walker manipulated LHO into Helsinki.   This is what Jim Root seems to be calculating.

There are other possible scenarios, however.   Another is that the KGB (e.g. Golub) already had their hooks in LHO, and manipulated him towards Helsinki.  A lesser explored possibility is that LHO himself was bright and talkative to those that he respected (e.g. Kerry Thornley and George De Mohrenschildt).  Given this sort of rapport, it is possible and even likely that LHO learned by simple scuttlebutt -- through the grapevine of well-traveled enlisted men -- that Helsinki was the fastest route to a USSR visa.

We know that LHO wanted to go into the USSR.   But why?   Here's my theory, based on his mother's WC testimony.   LHO did not wish to stay in the Marines -- he was more adventurous and ambitious.   He saw the Marine officers, and he knew he didn't want to be one of them.  

HOWEVER -- LHO also remembered what life was like back in Texas -- and he could ask his brothers.   It was hard to find a good job without an education, and one had to struggle through adulthood, just as his family had struggled through childhood.

LHO had read for years that the USSR was the "worker's paradise."   Free rent.  Free medical care.  Guaranteed employment.   Easy girls.   But was it all true?   LHO decided to find out for himself.  If it was true, then he would finally be happy in life.  Maybe they would see his great potential and give him Grants for college -- one of his life dreams.   Or maybe he would rise in the ranks of Military Intelligence, and get a career in politics.  Who knows?

HOWEVER, if it wasn't true, then LHO would still make the most of it -- he would never surrender his citizenship, and he would keep a diary, and when he got back to the USA, he would be surrounded by reporters who wanted to know his story, and he would write a Travelogue bestseller and be a famous writer, like Ernest Hemingway, but in the Cold War period.   

These are the predictable thoughts of an ambitious 19-year old Marine radar technician in 1959.   It seems to me that LHO chose infiltrate the USSR entirely on his own -- as the fluke of an impetuous teenager.   By slashing his wrists (and only in that way) this 19-year old boy was able to cajole his way into the USSR -- entirely on his own.

No CIA.  No Walker.  No KGB.   Just Lee Harvey Oswald, all on his own.   If so, then LHO was quite a character.

All best,
--Paul

Edited by Paul Trejo

Hey Paul just a few thoughts:

On Oct. 3, 1959 LHO writes to the Socialist Party of America .  For several years before this the CIA and the Postal Dept. were in discussion about beginning a full scale mail opening project in several cities including New York.  They started slowly in about January of 1959 but it was a "fullscale operation" by November.  The major person pushing this for the CIA was Richard Helms would would be following Oswald prior to the assassination of JFK.  I suggest that Oswald would have been put on a "watch list" at that time as is suggested in John Newman's book Oswald and the CIA.  IF Oswald was on a "watch list" his entry into the Marines about a month after his letter to the socialist party, you would think, would have kept Oswald far away from the U-2 Program.  Instead he is put right into the middle of it.  We then learn that while in Japan Oswald finds himself enjoying time at the Queen Bee, a nightclub that was both expensive, while providing the possibility of contact with agents of foreign countries.

I suggest a guiding the guiding hand of US Intelligence, Richard Helms in particular.  I also suggest that while this is occurring Oswald is of the belief that he is dealing with members of the Socialist Party.

On another note......if you look at the early parts of Walker's military career you can find links to many intelligence activities.  That is how I was able to connect Walker to John Hurt in the early 1930's.  It is my belief that Walker meeting Oswald somewhere between London and Helsinki was just another assignment for Walker, nothing special, just another day at the office so to speak.  But the fact that it may have been Walker who would have passed on the intelligence gathered from Helsinki just one day before, suggests the high level of importance that was placed on the movements of Lee Harvey Oswald as he defected to the Soviet Union.

Just for fun take a look at what else was happening at London (Heathrow) Airport the same day that Oswald traveled to Helsinki.....lots of international excitement and news.

Jim Root 

6 hours ago, Paul Trejo said:

Jason,

This is indeed interesting material -- and the question about how Lee Harvey Oswald could learn -- on his own -- at 19 years old -- that Helsinki was the easiest place in the world to obtain a quick visa into the USSR -- remains very much open.

There are other possible scenarios, however.   Another is that the KGB (e.g. Golub) already had their hooks in LHO, and manipulated him towards Helsinki.  A lesser explored possibility is that LHO himself was bright and talkative to those that he respected (e.g. Kerry Thornley and George De Mohrenschildt).  Given this sort of rapport, it is possible and even likely that LHO learned by simple scuttlebutt -- through the grapevine of well-traveled enlisted men -- that Helsinki was the fastest route to a USSR visa.

No CIA.  No Walker.  No KGB.   Just Lee Harvey Oswald, all on his own.   If so, then LHO was quite a character.

All best,
--Paul

Hi Paul,

Frankly Helsinki is the first strong data point I've seen about Oswald that to me suggests we could reasonably explore a CIA/KGB angle.   Or, as Jim Root says, the Walker angle.  Oswald picking Helsinki defies explanation.

Isn't the timeline too fast for the 'scuttlebutt' of well-traveled enlisted men to get back to Oswald that Helsinki is the express lane into the USSR?  (are even well-traveled enlisted men going to the USSR?)  The reason for my concern here is that Helsinki was only made the express lane into the USSR shortly before Oswald showed up in Helsinki.  No time for scuttlebutt.   

The cable traffic indicates Helsinki was open for rushed visa processing only at most 2-3 months before Oswald got there, and I don't see how anyone else in the world would know this.  This cannot be public knowledge.  It was only CIA internal cable traffic that revealed this, and Americans showing up for visas in Helsinki could be counted on both hands (see cable traffic below on this point).

BTW, there is lots in the record that KGB officer Golub -who gives Oswald a visa within 24 hours- was thinking to defect; he certainly was a target for an invited defection to the West.  Golub is I'm thinking one of the most studied KGB officers in Europe at the time of Oswald's defection, a Soviet agent wined and dined by the CIA.  Women are procured for him.  Interesting Oswald goes to this guy of all the embassies in Europe.....when...as shown below, Copenhagen, London, Paris, Warsaw, etc. would be the expected venues for a 19 y.o. looking for a Soviet visa.

Anyway, as I say, getting into the USSR in record-breaking time doesn't establish an intelligence angle, and I am fine just leaving this a question mark. 

Jason

Golub, the KGB agent who issues Oswald his via, is quite an interesting guy.....this Helsinki business alone sounds like a good movie, actually....(note to self)

1. This August 1959 CIA dispatch is AFAIK the first moment Helsinki is known as the one place in the whole world to get a quckie Soviet visa:

CIA_golub_1.png

Golub_2_and_2_full_cia_report.png

2. Golub the honey pot target, continued from August 1959 CIA dispatch....

Golub_honey_pot.png

==>wait a minute, you mean Iden is petty but no one would be interested in her mind?  Rampant sexism...<==

Golub_honey_pot2.png

3. These PAWNEE cryptonyms are from the Mary Ferrell site's amazing cryptonym database

......and of course the illustrious Bill Simpich:

Helsinki_Golub_flirting.png

Helsinki_Golub_flirting_2.png

4. From HSCA staff working notes:

HSCA_helsinki.png

Helsinki_GOlub.png

5. Richard Helms memo at the time of the WC, but released (I think) only with the release of the HSCA documents:
Helsinki_Nosenko_Helms.png

6.  As with most every issue we still debate today, the issue of Oswald's quick visa in Helsinki was known from day one.  Dulles and Ford discuss it in Warren Commission testimony:
Helsinki_Dulles.png

Helsinki_WC_Mc_Vickar.png

Helsinki_WC_why_not_warsaw.png

7. An interesting footnote in the HSCA report:
Golub_3_Oswald_helsinki.png

8. The officially published HSCA report more or less duplicates the staff working notes posted above:

Golub_1.png

Golub_2.png

Edited by Jason Ward

On 3/10/2018 at 9:20 PM, Jim Root said:

For me this is rather simple......Oswald's own quotes suggest that Lee Harvey Oswald believed Walker did not want peace.  My suggestion is that if Walker was the person who provided Oswald with the information necessary to easily enter the Soviet Union and if, as Oswald said he was going to do, Oswald provided information that could have been used to down the U-2 spy plane on October 1, 1960, which then led to the failure of the Paris Summit, Oswald could have seen himself as a patsy that was set up with the help of Walker and was duped into playing a part in the failure of the Paris Summit.  Oswald's speech at Spring Hill Colleges suggests that the failure of the Paris Summit weighed heavily on his mind.

Jim Root

Hi Jim,

In your view, Oswald is a peacenik and Walker is a reactionary warmonger, right?    

But, in your outline, Oswald goes to the USSR at Walker's request?  What, then, does Oswald imagine he is doing in this assignment for the warlord Walker?

Jason